town founding ability limited by player experience

DeletedUser

I think he meant he said it was good, not 200 hours is too much. (i agree on both points)

DeletedUser

i dont really know what you mean i am pretty sure someone like ulthor had this idea a while ago and it was well received

DeletedUser

I think he meant he said it was good, not 200 hours is too much. (i agree on both points)
He never said either one, that I can see.

So what amount would be more to your liking, and why?

I proposed 200 because it comes a lot sooner than you might think. 24 hrs./day; even playing just 1 character you hit 200 hours in less than 9 days! Play 2 chars and it's under 5 days. Hardly a purgatorial sentence. In fact it's probably too low!

DeletedUser

i would like to see the standard raised but how long does it take the best players to have 300$ and are ready to build a town 300hours?

this is me saying that i like the idea but i think that some of the better player will not take 200 hours gameplay, tom build a town. look at world 8 it has at least 4 towns already.

i think maybe once you pass a certain level

or a certain amount of gametime just not 200 hours though

DeletedUser

I think you run into problems when they are making worlds mutually exclusive now. They want to open the worlds up for brand new players. This means you'll have 1/2 the experienced players in each world at best making a large amount of players unable to found towns until very late into the server. We all know what a nightmare it is to recruit late in the server.

Also, some players (granted not many) do not play each server with the same name. Someone could easily have 200 hours of game play in on one server and then decide to go with a different name on another server. Will these players be penalized and not be allowed to start a town? I know, you are going to say IP. Well there is a problem with that. Some IP's have more than one player playing the game. Then you can have 2 players with only 100 hours each into the game but 200 hours collectively.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diggo11

True. Luap this is not the right way to do it. Instead of being "I have played for X hours" it should be "I have completed X achievements".

Anyway as for your system it won't work; remember you can't master a game in 9 days. Noobs will either wait the 9 days or quit beforehand contributing to the massive numbers of inactives level 1-9s.

If we said something like you must complete the first X quest series then noobs will have learnt and progressed. Hopefully they'll then create a town with some knowledge to make it work well.

DeletedUser

I don't think any of the quests prepare you for running a town. On the other hand there can be new players that come to this game that can start and successfully run a town right away because of past experience on other games.

I also don't think this is the communities business about setting rules for who can and can not start a town. Who are we to limit that. So what if their town goes ghost. This seems like an attempt to force players to join larger towns. Why bother? Let them play the game the way they want to.

Diggo11

I don't think any of the quests prepare you for running a town. On the other hand there can be new players that come to this game that can start and successfully run a town right away because of past experience on other games.
Then simply make one that can.

DeletedUser

Then we all have to do it. Have you looked at the character class specific quests? Those quest lines make no sense. How do you prepare someone to run a town? It's about location, having active players, recruitment techniques, having the right amount of builders, fighters and adventurers. It's really not something you can learn in a quest.

For arguments sake, what do you plan to teach them about running a town through quests.

Diggo11

Perhaps have a series of flash games. In this flash you could have a virtual town that you must run for five days. By the end of this time it must have met certain requirements. Fulfil these requirements and you complete the quest, lose and your town shall cost an additional $200 to found. (If you don't have flash a text guide would appear, and after being read the quest would automatically complete.)

DeletedUser

Diggo, come on. You know I totally respect your opinions but I have to argue with you here. We would all have to do those quests. What sort of flash games? It's not going to teach you how to recruit active players. Active players make a successful town. Five days of running a virtual town? This is just going to delay all towns from being founded.

I ask again, what right does the community have to say who can and who can not start a town.

DeletedUser

We already have a mechanism in this game for solving the problem of too many small town with not enough players: Ghost Towns.

And why shouldn't anybody be allowed to start a town, regardless of their experience? I joined World 3 myself specifically to do that, with no idea what I was getting myself into and nothing like 200 hours game experience. If "dying" towns make the game lose players, so too will anything that says from the outset that players cannot be autonomous.

Apart from that, who is to say that all those players in small towns which are growing at a snail's pace are going to leave? My mother and sister have a sad little town on World 5 which they have no intention of inviting anyone else to join. Because they can't be bothered with managing a community.

People are drawn to the game for a variety of reasons. And creating a town is definitely one of the big ones. Making that goal so far in the future for new players will do more damage than good.

DeletedUser

We already have a mechanism in this game for solving the problem of too many small town with not enough players: Ghost Towns.

And why shouldn't anybody be allowed to start a town, regardless of their experience? I joined World 3 myself specifically to do that, with no idea what I was getting myself into and nothing like 200 hours game experience. If "dying" towns make the game lose players, so too will anything that says from the outset that players cannot be autonomous.

Apart from that, who is to say that all those players in small towns which are growing at a snail's pace are going to leave? My mother and sister have a sad little town on World 5 which they have no intention of inviting anyone else to join. Because they can't be bothered with managing a community.

People are drawn to the game for a variety of reasons. And creating a town is definitely one of the big ones. Making that goal so far in the future for new players will do more damage than good.
You're probably right (just like you were that one time when you quoted me in your sig, LOL), buuuuut OTOH I've played many a game where I couldn't do something until I'd done something else, or reached a certain level, or whatever. Can't think of any I quit over that; it usually makes me dig in all the more just to prove I've got what it takes. When I reach a plateau like that, I always stop and smell the sweet, high air and admire the view for a minute before heading back to the grind again. It's good to earn somethings.

As to the objection that this would stop town development in new worlds, nah. Tons of vets join every world. There'll be plenty. It only delays the noob's first town.

As to the problem(?) of tracking players, doesn't Inno track who has what account on what world? If not, I suppose that would be one speed bump here. Still, the worst it would get would be that you'd need to rack up the hours on one account. And it's not like you can't play the game, or have to wear (or, if you're John Rose, not wear) the pink tutu. You just don't get to make your own town quite yet.

In any event, this doesn't seem to be attracting swarms of excited comments, so it's probably a deadie.

DeletedUser

You're probably right (just like you were that one time...

:p

I've played many a game where I couldn't do something until I'd done something else, or reached a certain level, or whatever. Can't think of any I quit over that; it usually makes me dig in all the more just to prove I've got what it takes. When I reach a plateau like that, I always stop and smell the sweet, high air and admire the view for a minute before heading back to the grind again. It's good to earn somethings.
I agree that having to work toward something is actually a good game component. But in this case, many people are not interested in other aspects of the game. Some people just like to play it like Sim City.

You could argue that those players wouldn't be a loss, but those players provide homes for people who can't be bothered building a town and they provide fodder for fighters. Are those players the most likely to drop out of the grind? Probably yes. But some will learn the other aspects of the game and become those "experienced" players you want to give privileges to. If you make it harder for them to get to the aspect they already know they like, you lose them about 2 seconds after they walk into the saloon.

Edited to add, in response to your edit: Yes, probably a deadie. :p :)

DeletedUser

I still say it wouldn't cause mass quitting, and is a more reasonable suggestion than you think it is, but I'm not going to go all master warrior and be necroing this from a keyboard on my deathbed.

I'm sure we'll come up with an idea people like, eventually.

DeletedUser

I think that you should have to recruit some players before you are allowed to found a town. However, I disagree with your initial idea, Luap Nor (the hour requirement).

DeletedUser

perhaps you need to get past level 10/15
We covered that in another thread. It suffers from the same objections people raise to my suggestion in this thread, plus it would cause pileups at the starter towns for a long time in every new world, which my suggestion wouldn't.

Diggo11

Yeah I think this should be abandoned. But before you found a town for the first time you should be forced to read some sort of guide, written be an experienced player (perhaps with a name beginning with V or L or E).