This here Reputation thing

DeletedUser

I will usually chuck ~FIC on the end of mine so it at least gives people a chance to guess its me :D

DeletedUser

I like the concept of reputation, but also agree that it is often abused by people to "punish" somebody when they differ from opinion - completely missing the point of the rep. If an argument opposing your idea is well thought out and debated, there should be no reason to give a negative rep. The other type of rep that is utterly useless, are those without any comment at all. Constructive comments in the rep would help the forums by helping people learn what works in forums and what not (especially if you get the same comment several times), pointless reps (without giving a valid reason) are just that - "pointless".

DeletedUser363

I like the concept of reputation, but also agree that it is often abused by people to "punish" somebody when they differ from opinion - completely missing the point of the rep.
One way this could be avoided was if giving reputation was not allowed in the offtopic forum.

DeletedUser

I don't mind this as much now....kinda enjoy seeing the personal type feedback. I just got my first negative one today I must be doing something right ;) I just kinda wish people would take some ownership of their comments so I know which ignoramus some of them came from :laugh:

Agreed.
My bad reps include such extraordinarily smart comments like "lol", " " or direct replies to the respective repped post, whereas the author was too gutless to post it publicly.
It's like people are ashamed of their bad feelings against me and don't even want me to know about it, let alone everyone else...COWARDS! :bandit:

DeletedUser

The only bad one I got (and the only one where I couldn't tell who it was from) just said god doesn't joke. I didn't think Jack Beauregard would have any negatives, so I don't feel bad about it.

DeletedUser

either im looking in the wrong spot on my user cp or i havent gotten any reps good or bad!! i really dont have an opinion on whether the rep thing is good or bad besides it would be nice to know if someone benifited from your post!!

Reactions: Gem

DeletedUser

I'm pleasantly surprised to find that my reputation is generally positive. I have more positive points for my sense of humour than my good advice though, so I'm not sure it's going to be a good indicator of reputable advice.

So a donkey, a horse and a chipmunk walk into a bar...

... on second thoughts that one might earn me a vacation from the forums if I complete it ;)

DeletedUser

It is in the User CP. (User Control Panel)

usercp.gif

The User CP shows any new pms you have, then any of your subscribed threads which have new posts in them, then any infractions, then your reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I have 13 points, but only 1 point given - do you start with 12 points or what? Or gain 3 points per rep-click?

I obviously got the rep for my sense of humor rather than my sage advice too ... :S

DeletedUser

Hmm, doesn't show on my User CP

That's odd. I had a quick look at the members list and you are ranked 12th when it is sorted by Rep. And I know you have some, with comments, because I've given you some myself.

Could it be as simple as you not expanding it? If you have the "Latest Reputation" title bar, there is a double down arrow icon on it that is clickable and will expand it.

my cp just shows

there is no subscribed threads, nothing more. no reputation

Do you have the auto subscribe function turned off, or had you just read everything when you looked? Either of those would explain the "no subscrbed threads.

Re: the rep, I'll give you some right now and as with what I said to Hellstromm, if you have the title bar for rep, expand it.

If the title bar isn't there, I don't know what the issue is and a higher level mod might be able to look into it.

I have 13 points, but only 1 point given - do you start with 12 points or what? Or gain 3 points per rep-click?

I obviously got the rep for my sense of humor rather than my sage advice too ... :S

I think that everyone starts at 12. As for how much each rep is worth, I know I've received some that is worth one point, and some that is worth 2, but I haven't figured out the parameters for that yet. Again, a higher mod might be able to tell us.