This here Reputation thing

DeletedUser

I stumbled over to my control panel and behold and lo I recieved some reputation thingies. Now you can see the comments that people leave but not who left 'em.....is this just to keep things civll? Also many were green bbut one was bluish grey was that one a negative vote? Also why should I care and does it truly impact my life here on the forum in any direct way?

DeletedUser363

In my opinion, there is really no use for the reputation system. I personally don't care if I have a good or bad reputation.

Red Falcon

In my opinion, there is really no use for the reputation system. I personally don't care if I have a good or bad reputation.

I couldn't agree more, shadow dragon! In fact I really don't like this whole reputation thing. I really don't want anyone to judge me in any way. And even worse, everyone else can see if you have a good or bad reputation!

:eek:hmy:

And all of this is only based on whether or not some guy you barely know likes you or not! It's so stupid and I'm just realizing that now!

:mad:

DeletedUser

Actually these reputation things are elements that come in the vBulletin forum system.

They are useful in a lot of forums but in this one, it doesn't serve too much of a purpose.

So basically it comes with this forum type and really... you don't need to use it, because not much of use to anyone.

DeletedUser

I stumbled over to my control panel and behold and lo I recieved some reputation thingies. Now you can see the comments that people leave but not who left 'em.....is this just to keep things civll? Also many were green bbut one was bluish grey was that one a negative vote? Also why should I care and does it truly impact my life here on the forum in any direct way?

- The blue-grey one means the person who gave that rep is too new for their rep to give you a point.
- If you get a negative one, it will be red.
- The system is anonymous, but sometimes people sign their comments.
- No, it will not impact on your life.

Generally, a rep system is to help people know who provides reliable information. This forum is pretty social as well as being a resource though, so rep is probably a bit muddy. ;)

DeletedUser

How would you know whether a person is too "new" or not? :huh:

It depends on the parameters set up by the forum admins. I assume it is based on User Groups, which are based on post count. See The West User Groups here. I would imagine it is only the "Strangers" whose votes count for zero.

DeletedUser

As Jack said, Red Falcon, you can only see your own reputation. In the User CP you can see the most recent reputation given and the comments as well as the total points you have. Neither of those things are visible on your profile.

What will happen, as time goes on, is that green dot on all of our posts will become more green dots. We don't know yet what the parameters are for how many points you have to get for an additional dot. And I'm pretty sure that it will never display red. The worst that will be shown when people hover on someone's reputation is "User is an unknown quantity."

(For those who have been getting some good rep, if you hover on the green dot you can see "User is on a distinguished road." )

Apart from the dots, the only other way to see people's relative rep is to sort the members list by reputation. And even that doesn't tell you how much, or how little, reputation someone has.

Also, if anyone sends you abusive messages that upset yo via the rep system, you can report it via PM to one of the mods. When Gem activated it, she said she would be watching out to make sure that it isn't abused.

But mostly: Either ignore the whole system if you think it is silly, or us it and give people reputation when they are helpful, or funny, or have a good idea or anything else that you think is beneficial to the forums.

Red Falcon

- The blue-grey one means the person who gave that rep is too new for their rep to give you a point.
- If you get a negative one, it will be red.
- The system is anonymous, but sometimes people sign their comments.
- No, it will not impact on your life.

Generally, a rep system is to help people know who provides reliable information. This forum is pretty social as well as being a resource though, so rep is probably a bit muddy. ;)

Yeah, well if you have a bad reputation on here, then people will think your information is inaccurate! And this is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier! If someone doens't like you and they give you bad rep, then it adds negativity to your total rep! That's totally unfair!!

:eek:hmy::mad:

Well, I've got news for you people: Just because someone doesn't like you, it doesn't mean that you're bad or dumb or stupid and that everyone else should know that about you! I mean come on, already!!

DeletedUser

I had 2 people lower my level because they didn't agree on my view of abortion being wrong -.- The first reason was "moron" and the second reason was something dumb like "I hate you"

It's pathetic in my opinion. Pretty sure the only person who can see it is you, and it doesn't really matter at all.

DeletedUser

Yeah, well if you have a bad reputation on here, then people will think your information is inaccurate!

Did you read my last post, RF?

1. You can't have "bad" rep publicly. All it shows is "unknown quantity"
2. If you get abusive rep comments, report it via PM to a mod.
3. If you don't like the function, ignore it.
4. The only person whose opinion of you matters is your own.

Mostly, don't stress about it or let it upset you. It isn't worth it. And I know that it can't be all bad in your user CP because I gave you +rep just the other day for your funny Gold Diggo story. :laugh:

DeletedUser

Lol, rep don't mean nothin, its just a way of abusing people or commenting on them when you don't want anyone else seeing it:laugh:

DeletedUser

I had 2 people lower my level because they didn't agree on my view of abortion being wrong -.- The first reason was "moron"

Musta been the same person who didnt like what I was saying in the "Jesus and Peter Pan" thread....i got the same thing...."moron":laugh:
I kinda take it as a badge of honor though. :D

DeletedUser8950

Musta been the same person who didnt like what I was saying in the "Jesus and Peter Pan" thread....i got the same thing...."moron":laugh:
I kinda take it as a badge of honor though. :D
:laugh: I got one saying "******" and one saying "pfft" some others among my collection are "onion does not approve" and "manucian filth!XD"

DeletedUser

Forum rep is like wikipedia. When you first think about it, the idea seems so easily abusable that it couldn't possibly be workable. Then you implement it and... wow, it somehow works pretty well.

DeletedUser

Eh, I thought it was just a bit of fun

I've enjoyed seeing the fluctuating spots :)

If you get an abusive message in it, give me a PM and I'll sort it :)

DeletedUser

I don't mind this as much now....kinda enjoy seeing the personal type feedback. I just got my first negative one today I must be doing something right ;) I just kinda wish people would take some ownership of their comments so I know which ignoramus some of them came from :laugh: