This here Reputation thing

DeletedUser

i said that in reply to my previous posts. of course negative reps r red

DeletedUser

well it was misleading, so I corrected it in case anyone thought that was what you meant :dry:

DeletedUser3717

All reputation is giving by players, Moderators don't always give out "Green" Reputation. Its called good or bad reputation.

It's all worth 1 point each I'm currently on twelve because The-West hates me(kidding) But it all determines what theother person thinks of you xD

DeletedUser

it shows 12 points after ur rep...but why 11 pts for frst rep...and 1 point for 2nd....

how do we give rep..???

DeletedUser

click on the scales in the upper right of the post of the person you wish to rep

DeletedUser

Everybody starts with 10 rep apparently.

Click on the scales icon in any post (top right)

DeletedUser

All reputation is giving by players, Moderators don't always give out "Green" Reputation. Its called good or bad reputation.

It's all worth 1 point each I'm currently on twelve because The-West hates me(kidding) But it all determines what theother person thinks of you xD

It isn't all worth +1, some people give more points than that with each rep.

From the vBulletin manual, these are the factors which effect how much anybody's rep is worth...
[:)

Click the post link in that quote to see all the variables.

Red Falcon

Hmm...There is a lot of information about this whole rep system which I just realized tonight. And bearing this in mind, I have to wonder one thing: I have browsed the members list and found that some people have this feature disabled. Is there a way I can do this, or can this only be done by moderators and admins on this forum?

DeletedUser16628

It's cowardly to say something negative and not let people know who said it plain and simple.I dislike this rep system but it's here and probable staying so whether I have something good or bad to say I will always leave my name always.

DeletedUser

As Jack said, Red Falcon, you can only see your own reputation. In the User CP you can see the most recent reputation given and the comments as well as the total points you have. Neither of those things are visible on your profile.

What will happen, as time goes on, is that green dot on all of our posts will become more green dots. We don't know yet what the parameters are for how many points you have to get for an additional dot. And I'm pretty sure that it will never display red. The worst that will be shown when people hover on someone's reputation is "User is an unknown quantity."

(For those who have been getting some good rep, if you hover on the green dot you can see "User is on a distinguished road." )

Apart from the dots, the only other way to see people's relative rep is to sort the members list by reputation. And even that doesn't tell you how much, or how little, reputation someone has.

Also, if anyone sends you abusive messages that upset yo via the rep system, you can report it via PM to one of the mods. When Gem activated it, she said she would be watching out to make sure that it isn't abused.

But mostly: Either ignore the whole system if you think it is silly, or us it and give people reputation when they are helpful, or funny, or have a good idea or anything else that you think is beneficial to the forums.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Red Falcon

• Register Date Factor
    The number of reputation points that a user is able to give or take is dependant on several factors, with the length they have been registered as one of them. A user's power is first initialized at 1 and then this factor and the factors that follow are used to increase it. For example if you set this to 365, every 365 days that the user has been a member of your forum, they would gain one point. So if they have been a member for five years, they would gain 5 points of power for a total of 6.
  • Post Count Factor
    The amount of posts that a user has can also affect their reputation power. Set this to number of posts that you want to award one point for. For example, set this to 50 and for a user with 500 posts, they would gain 10 points of power.
  • Reputation Point Factor
    The users current reputation score can also affect their reputation power. Set this to 100 and a user with a reputation of 1000 would gain 10 points of reputation power. If you set any of the power factors to 0, that will effectively remove that factor from having an effect on the user's reputation power.
  • Minimum Post Count
    If the reputation system is enabled, anyone will be able to rate a post but only users with a post count above the level you set here will be able to actually give points or take points from another user.
  • Minimum Reputation Count
    As with the post count above, a user must have a reputation above this level to be able to give or take points from another user's score.
I was going to ask more about reputation in this thread, seeing as it had already been created some time ago, but most of the questions I was planning on asking are already answered in the variables posted above. Now I am wondering a few things about OUR forum reputation system...

1: Is it possible for a regular forum user to disable his or her own reputation so people cannot give or take from it?
2: If this is possible, then what color will his or her own reputation show up as? And will the 'dot' say something like "Red Falcon has disabled reputation"?
3: Based on the algorithm given above, how many reputation points can a person give or take away if they have around 1000 posts who has been a member of this particular forum for about 2 or 3 years?

DeletedUser22685

1: Is it possible for a regular forum user to disable his or her own reputation so people cannot give or take from it?

It's not possible for users to disable rep on their account. Administrators can technically do it, but they won't. The rep system has been the focus of many debates in the past; it's clear that it's here to stay and as long as it's in place, it can't be opted out of. It's a totally immaterial thing and not worth getting worked up about. If you receive messages that bother you, you're best to just ignore them.

Red Falcon said:
2: If this is possible, then what color will his or her own reputation show up as? And will the 'dot' say something like "Red Falcon has disabled reputation"?

The dot would be black and would say exactly what you guessed, but once again, it would never actually happen.

Red Falcon said:
3: Based on the algorithm given above, how many reputation points can a person give or take away if they have around 1000 posts who has been a member of this particular forum for about 2 or 3 years?

I can tell you how the formula is set here and you should be able to work out the answer to your query on your own.

• 1 point by default (as long as your post count and rep count are higher than the minimum for each, which I unfortunately don't know for sure)
  • 1 point per 1000 posts
  • 1 point per 1 year registered
  • 1 point per 1000 rep points
  • Rep power is halved in Off Topic
  • Your negative rep power is half of your positive rep power

Red Falcon

I can tell you how the formula is set here and you should be able to work out the answer to your query on your own.

• 1 point by default (as long as your post count and rep count are higher than the minimum for each, which I unfortunately don't know for sure)
  • 1 point per 1000 posts
  • 1 point per 1 year registered
  • 1 point per 1000 rep points
  • Rep power is halved in Off Topic
  • Your negative rep power is half of your positive rep power
Very nice! Thank you for clearing this up for me, Futu. I'm not going to bother getting worked up over something as minute as reputation on THIS particular forum. I figure if I hand out positive reputation points to people who have given good advice in reply to topics I've started or posted in or if I post something somebody agrees with, I am likely to receive the same kind of rep in return. After all, as the old saying often says, treat others the way in which you'd like to be treated...Or words to those effect.

Apelatia

Reputation is a funny thing... Some have a lot of it, others don't... In the end, it all comes down to writing useful and informative posts... Or in the case of CS, come up with a good piece of writing to contribute to an RP...

I'm sure Futu could write a good guide about the art of obtaining a lot of green rep.