Third World Countries

DeletedUser

Three months after shooting this photo of a starving Sudanese toddler trying to make her way to the UN base while being stalked by a vulture in search of a meal (and doing nothing about it), the photographer committed suicide. Why the heck didn't he carry the little girl the rest of the way?! What is wrong with people??

2i1eg07.jpg

2w2etzd.jpg

[[Sorry about the size of the images, perhaps one of the mods could shrink them for me =(]] (( fixed, thanks Nashy19 ~ Hell ))

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

One thing you can do is stop calling them Third World countries. "Third World" has a perjorative tone. The UN groups countries by HDI (human development index) now, which rates countries on various other indices like life expectancy and standard of living. Low HDI means a country is an LDC (less developed country), but it doesn't label it as a Third World country, which sounds like a dead end. Any improvement in any area is a positive thing.

"Third World" is condescending at best and racist at worst.

Edit: Christian humanitarian organizations in developing countries generally fit one of those labels, and the religious arguments in this thread are understandable. If they want to improve a people's standard of living, the price tag shouldn't be forcing them to give up the beliefs that have developed along with their ancestors relationship to the environment. Without borders imposed by Europeans and Arabs have made it difficult to migrate from areas where people can no longer support themselves. Missionaries forcing their beliefs on them add insult to injury.

DeletedUser

Well I'm with Virginia on this one. How can you see a child like that and take their picture but not give them something to eat or at least a ride to where they can. I get that journalists are supposed to report the news and not be the news but as a human being you have an obligation to do what you can.

DeletedUser

"Third World" is a phrase that comes from the Cold War. It isn't racist. Give me a break.

The free block: America and her allies
The Communist block: USSR, her satellites, and allies
The Third World

The free block and the Communist block fought over the votes and support of the Third World (simply named so because there are three groups). Usually, they voted with the Communists in the UN.

Back on topic, I agree with Virginia as well. Individuals with wealth (most of us are filthy rich compared to these poor people) have a moral responsibility to help those around us who are starving, without medical care, and without loving, safe families.

DeletedUser

If they want to improve a people's standard of living, the price tag shouldn't be forcing them to give up the beliefs that have developed along with their ancestors relationship to the environment. . . . Missionaries forcing their beliefs on them add insult to injury.

Christian missionaries don't "force" anyone to believe in Jesus. We're not the ones going over there with machetes and machine guns. That's what the muslims do.

DeletedUser

Christian missionaries don't "force" anyone to believe in Jesus. We're not the ones going over there with machetes and machine guns. That's what the muslims do.

You bigoted son of a dog of the female persuasion!

So, the muslims are the ones whom are to blame, eh?
How about the protocols of sions wise, should we trust that as well?

You don't buy this crap you're selling, do you?
Truly?

DeletedUser

Christian slave owners were also dutiful to baptize their African slaves and give them good Christian names.

DeletedUser

MODERATOR HAT ON

(( As this discussion will invariably delve into religious, economic, and social hot points, it is essential everyone remember to maintain civility. Any potentially offensive statements made, without provision of substantive argument, will be deleted and the poster warned or infracted. Remember people --- respect. ))

DeletedUser

you all heave strayed off topic. the "discussion" is now about whether or not atheists have helped anyone in Africa. A lot of atheists are good people and some so called christian are the ones who are at fault. have you ever heard of the KKK? the claimed to be Christian but look at what they did. no matter what religion we are it is our duty to help people in need.

DeletedUser

I notice that some dirty little bugger was suggesting that no Atheist has never even given to charity.

When I was in West Africa, most of the charity workers I met were atheists. And I'm afraid I know that for a fact. So you really can't argue with me.

And I also notice that Justin is claiming that Christian missionaries don't try to force Jesus on people. But that's just Justin. Facts have no real value with him. If someone agrees with his religion, then they can do no wrong.
---
And I'm very sorry, Elmyr, but I have to agree with Justin that "3rd World" isn't a racist term.
---
On topic, it is definitely the duty of wealthier people to give everything they can afford to worthy causes - at the very least.

Obviously, it's better if you physically help improve the quality of life of those less fortunate, but money helps.
---
However, some supposedly "undeveloped" countries don't want (or need) "development". Vanuatu is a superb example. A few years ago, they were the happiest country on earth. And look at all the depressed people and big problems that countries like Ireland, the UK, and the USA have.

I really think the Vanuatuans would prefer to stay in their happy little "undeveloped" rut. Save the charity for people who are dying of starvation, disease, famine or war.

DeletedUser

Oisin, please ready my post again, I wasn't attacking his "3rd world" thing.

DeletedUser

Can we please keep the flames to a minimum?

I did not have time to read this thread until now, just some comments.

1. People helping others, regardless of religion. I know or befriended people in buddist and Christian (catholic and protestant) charities. There can be bad apples everywhere. Some charities get bad reputation but it doesn't mean the entire charity is hopeless. If you are moved, then I encourage you to travel the world and volunteer to help. Besides religious organizations, there are NGO all over the world that provide aid in varous forms. I know people who provide free legal aid, or free medical care. My own family has relatives who went to various parts of the world and USA in helping out the disadvantaged. I will do what I can and offer some free professional services when I have the time to do so but not now.

2. I do not donate to charitieis that solicite my donation directly in general. This goes for both religius and non-religious charities because too many charities simply pay themselves well and not enough % goes directly to help the people in need. If I know some charitieis that are doing good, efficient work, I will donate and I did donate. However, spare me and do not call me or write to me, asking me for donations. If you want donations, first provide me with an accounting of how you spent your money. I'm tired of giving money to enrich those administrators in charities.

3. We truly live in paradise. I have had cousins who went to Africa and other parts of the world, helping build elementary schools, get water and other basic needs. I myself have traveled in parts of the world where having a non-dirt floor house is a palace by local standard. I won't get into detail on bathroom and other stuff to gross some of you out.

Virginia, I do not know what you went through, only read a a sentence about it in a prevous post in this thread. Do not be sad, you can do something, regardless how old you are. If you are in a church, start projects, organize, coordinate, to help some needy. My cousins (yes, plural) have done this and they helped raise funds to build elementary schools in at least 2 continents that I am aware of. Some of my relatives houses contain souvenir from a few Africa and Asian countries as they help the locals.

However, I do caution you that you should finish your education first. If you get your degree and become more skilled, knowledged, it becomes easier to help others.

DeletedUser

Kentucky.

Oh wait :blink:

Actually I see where Elmyr is coming from. I don't know if it's a racist term or not. I say it and I don't mean it in a racist way. I don't know the history behind the term. When I say it I am referring to a poor country not the color of its inhabitants. But he has a point.

DeletedUser

Blitzkrieg said:
Virginia, I do not know what you went through, only read a a sentence about it in a prevous post in this thread. Do not be sad, you can do something, regardless how old you are. If you are in a church, start projects, organize, coordinate, to help some needy. My cousins (yes, plural) have done this and they helped raise funds to build elementary schools in at least 2 continents that I am aware of. Some of my relatives houses contain souvenir from a few Africa and Asian countries as they help the locals.

However, I do caution you that you should finish your education first. If you get your degree and become more skilled, knowledged, it becomes easier to help others.

Okay, not sure who you are, but my education is finished and I am currently helping people in Kenya. ;)

To the rest of you (with an exception to a few), who the heck cares who's to blame for the conditions of other people? Stop trying to point fingers and just try to do your part to solve the problem. Why are we arguing over the methods used to help the suffering? At least someone's gotten off their lazy [hind end] and is doing at least something! I don't care if it's an atheist or a fanatical religious freak that's trying to help them - and trust me, nor do they! I think we can all unite on one thing, and that's that these people truly need our help.