The Pledge Of Allegiance and the Children

• Thread starter David Schofield
  • Start date

DeletedUser14189

Dont forget that many Christian Schools still get subsided as well.

DeletedUser

Private schools are weird compared to public. I had no problem transitioning from public to private, but it's totally different.

We have Mass near holidays, and we have a bishop come in or a priest. When the bishop comes, he gifts us a "bishop's day" where we don't have to go to a school day that he will assign and discuss over with the Headmaster. They have a handbook, but nothing regarding the pledge and prayer.

The teachers and administration just tell us to show respect by standing up even if you don't believe in it. And at Mass when you go to accept Communion, even if you can't/won't you must go down; stand in front of the person offering it and walk away. Just to show respect.

I do like Private Schools, the education is like three years ahead of Public. Last year I learned Trigonometry which is like two~three years ahead of the suggested math curriculum, and everything is more organized. Costs a lot to go to the school, I believe 6,500 a year. Luckily I got an tuition assistance, and a scholarship so I pay 500. Lunch everyday is like 5~10$ for the average kid. Everything revolves around Christianity though. Even our classes, we don't learn Evolution in Science but learn the Big Bang.

DeletedUser

One of the main reasons I believe private school are madeprivate is for relgious reasons ... this is not only in the US but other countries as well. The children can be taught religion or religious morals while not breaking the law. They still have to abide by a basic outline for the state though (take certain number of math, english classes, do good on these test)

Though other private schools are indeed for getting a better and more one-on-one teaching with smaller classrooms.

@ David - There are a number of books on how limited a children rigths are, not just in school by the way. I wish some Muslims or Jews, Wiccans or Pagans, and so forth would enter thier G(g)od's name in.

"One Nation under Thor ... "
"One Nation under Allah ... "
"One Nation under the Mother Goddess ... "

DeletedUser

You know, every religion believes in God. They just have different names for their god, like you said, Breth.

DeletedUser14280

You know, every religion believes in God. They just have different names for their god, like you said, Breth.
Paganism involves worshipping natural spirits of the world, rather than gods...I think!
And the Church of Set...I don't know about them.

DeletedUser

Celxius, if you do it 5 days a week, 9 months out of the year, for three-fourths of your childhood prior to age 18, it will undoubtedly make some sort of impression on your psyche', especially when you consider this ritual is started when you're 5 years old. There are only TWO routines in primary schools that are more impacting, those are recess (playground time) and lunch, and neither could be even remotely deemed as rituals or indoctrination protocols.

I mean, seriously, by the time you will have graduated from high school, you will have performed the Pledge of Allegiance, the indoctrination of blind patriotism and Christian servitude, over 2,500 times! And this is before most of you reach age 18!

We had a similar thing over here with saying the Lord's Prayer in assembly, Religious Education being compulsory, harvest festivals etc. I don't know now as school is a distant memory for me and I don't have kids. I reckon that the UK is one of the most atheist countries in the world (by UK I mean those adherents to Judeo-Christian traditions and not Sihks, Muslims etc.).
As a nation we seem to have decided for ourselves that religion is a load of sheet and we did that despite the brainwashing.
I believe that there are many Americans that have also resisted this indoctrination and I have met quite a few too. Personally, it scares the hell out of me that Religion is growing in the USA.
If we had a Presidental system in the UK it would be the complete opposite of the US. i.e. we would definitely NOT elect someone with strong religious beliefs and made those beliefs part of his/her campaign.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

100% agree with Bendos last post, a PM/party that even mentioned religion would struggle to get in, I think I said somewhere else that Blair left talking about God till after he stepped down for just that reason.

I can't imagine a teacher trying to get my old school in 'Boro to stand and recite God save the Queen at the start of the day, there'd be a riot, and that'd just be the parents.

I say all this and I went to a religious school, I think they still make kids to say prayers and such in class, but its not taken seriously, especially in inner city schools which are more ethnically diverse.

America was founded on equality and the creepage of 'Christian' values into American society is a reversal of the world wide trend towards secularisation is frankly, weird.

Take the Obama as a Muslim thing, he's not a Muslim, but why does it matter to some who believe he is? Surely if America was doing its job right, a Muslim President is perfectly acceptable? For me, the inclusion of 'One Nation Under God' in the pledge just brings up so many questions regarding this!

DeletedUser

It doesn't have to be God in the monotheistic sense: Nature Spirits are a type of Little God, and Yin and Yang in Taoism are God, just not a human God.

DeletedUser

It doesn't have to be God in the monotheistic sense: Nature Spirits are a type of Little God, and Yin and Yang in Taoism are God, just not a human God.

Funny, and I thought the Christian religion was simply how Christians got wrong the idea of Taoism... Either way, Christianity clearly is evidence that Taoism is a universal truth.

DeletedUser

I heard a recording or children reciting pledge of allegiance while shopping at Ingle a local grocery store ... Was so weird. Anyone else experienced this before?