The Pledge Of Allegiance and the Children

• Thread starter David Schofield
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Get em' young is one of the major mentalities for getting a nation to follow a similar ideal... But, how about the Pledge of Allegiance? Some would say that is indoctrinating our children, some would say it is just something to do to honor the country...

The pledge also states "Under God" Which is biased against the Athiest community. The Pledge is used to get the children to believe in god and to think highly of the government or America.

What do you think about it?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The "under God" statement, if I recall, was added on or about 1957, both to the Pledge and to currency (correct me if i'm wrong).

I think the Pledge is definitely an indoctrination move, a means to drill blind patriotism and Christian beliefs, every morning at public schools, into the minds of gullible kids. In my youth I used to sometimes sit through the pledge and get harassed by the teacher and, in some cases, by other students. Was even directed to the principal at least once.

DeletedUser

I at first just stood up and didn't say anything, but then I just didn't stand up anymore. A student cannot be forced to say it, no matter how hard the teacher or staff may you want you to ... thats the key word, want, not forced.

DeletedUser

This is one of those fights that I agree with in principle, but then again, I'm not overly concerned about.

Should "under God" be on the US currency or in the pledge of allegiance? No. But I think there are much bigger fights and more urgent fights...like keeping creationist junk out of our schools...keeping organized prayer out of our schools...restricting public funding from going to private religious schools...etc.

So, if it came to a vote, you know what side I'd vote on...but I wouldn't be the one working hard to bring a vote about.

DeletedUser

I didn't realise the pledge was recited by kids at school every day. To be honest the whole concept sickens me, and I definitely see it as a means of indoctrination.

People on here demand their 2nd ammendment rights, just in case they decide they need to rebel against the government, but they happily pledge every day never to do so? lol

It is also a form of blatant propaganda, do any of you believe that the US actually does stand for liberty and justice for all? No wonder few Americans will accept the truth of how badly minorities and low income families are treated there, let alone how badly the US (and other western nations such as my own) exploit the rest of the world.

DeletedUser

No wonder few Americans will accept the truth of how badly minorities and low income families are treated there,

I disagree with that, The whole system is screwed up. The Rich hold the power, everyone making less than $300,000 A year is still a slave to taxes. Why $300,000? Farmers I know have to spend a hell of a lot to keep the farms running, they are still middle class in my book.

DeletedUser

I disagree with that, The whole system is screwed up. The Rich hold the power, everyone making less than $300,000 A year is still a slave to taxes. Why $300,000? Farmers I know have to spend a hell of a lot to keep the farms running, they are still middle class in my book.
Hmm, David, I think you're agreeing with him.

DeletedUser

Ehh, sort of. What I'm saying is that it's not just the Low income and minoritys being mistreated, Middle class is also being mistreated.

DeletedUser

Public schools do this everyday, I'm sure private schools do too. I attend a private school, we have to pray and do the pledge every morning. And some teachers make us pray at beginning of every class.

I always stood up, but I never said it.

That's what our principal tells us to do about prayer/pledge. If you don't agree with it, just stand; and don't say it.

Hellstromm said:
Was even directed to the principal at least once.

That would happen at my school also. They make you stand, just to show "respect", even if you don't say it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser14280

I have seen a lot of little details on this forum, that indicate that there's an awful lot of kids/teenagers here. Just saying.

I'm not American, so I can't really offer a helpful view on this.
But I wonder: does anybody who swears the pledge actually care what they're saying?

DeletedUser

Celxius, if you do it 5 days a week, 9 months out of the year, for three-fourths of your childhood prior to age 18, it will undoubtedly make some sort of impression on your psyche', especially when you consider this ritual is started when you're 5 years old. There are only TWO routines in primary schools that are more impacting, those are recess (playground time) and lunch, and neither could be even remotely deemed as rituals or indoctrination protocols.

I mean, seriously, by the time you will have graduated from high school, you will have performed the Pledge of Allegiance, the indoctrination of blind patriotism and Christian servitude, over 2,500 times! And this is before most of you reach age 18!

DeletedUser14280

Interesting point, I do love my lunchtimes.
But I'm never going to make that Pledge at all, because I'm not American. I mentioned that before.

DeletedUser

Public schools do this everyday, I'm sure private schools do too. I attend a private school, we have to pray and do the pledge every morning. And some teachers make us pray at beginning of every class.
They forced you to pray?!
That is seriously messed up.
That is past the line of riot inducing.
Noone should be forced to pray, ever.

That's what our principal tells us to do about prayer/pledge. If you don't agree with it, just stand; and don't say it.
If you don't agree with it, don't stand.
It's bullcrap.

You do not have to respect it, and why should you?

That would happen at my school also. They make you stand, just to show "respect", even if you don't say it.

See above.

DeletedUser

They forced you to pray?!
That is seriously messed up.
That is past the line of riot inducing.
Noone should be forced to pray, ever.

If you don't agree with it, don't stand.
It's bullcrap.

You do not have to respect it, and why should you?

See above.

if it is a private school they can tell you to do whatever they want (within reason). if you are sent to a private school they usualy send out a book of rule for what is going to happen throughout the year before school starts (you know full well in advance what is going to happen in the day). if you don't like the rules you don't have to attend the school.
Meny private schools also make it so thet guys must have there hair no longer then there neck line, not really sure how this can be reinforced other then telling the parent that there kid needs a hair cut.

DeletedUser

if it is a private school they can tell you to do whatever they want (within reason). if you are sent to a private school they usualy send out a book of rule for what is going to happen throughout the year before school starts (you know full well in advance what is going to happen in the day). if you don't like the rules you don't have to attend the school.
Meny private schools also make it so thet guys must have there hair no longer then there neck line, not really sure how this can be reinforced other then telling the parent that there kid needs a hair cut.

Ofc they can, it's their buisniss.

Which brings us to another question; should we allow such private schools?
Schools that indoctrinate the youth?

DeletedUser14189

No, never, A parent has to bring up a child on its own. Not by controlling their life with the fear to go to hell.

Children have the RIGHT to explore their world. Parents do NOT have the right to keep that world as small as possible by manufacturing them into Christians.

DeletedUser

Public schools are free (but payed by tax dollars)... Private Schools are payed for with lump sums of cash, often more for an individual student than Public schools.

So, you're droping thousands of dollars on a private school just so your kid can get a good education, they shouldn't be forcing him to do anything. They were payed, and they should teach, nothing to it.

Now, Back to the Pledge of Allegiance, I personally think its an Optional thing, for the historical respects it would be kind of nice to atleast make some sort of gesture toward the flag because without the US, Nazis would have stayed in command for a few more years before being crushed by Russia. The Pledge is also for Honoring your Countrys Government and you damn well had better be allowed to opt out when the country isn't going the way you want it, or else that's just disabling freedom...
Childeren really have no rights in America, nor many other countries, they should atleast have a say... As human beings.