The IQ Sham

DeletedUser

The IQ bell curve is commonly presented like so:

iq_bell_curve.gif

However, I was unable to find any "serious" research efforts to determine actual numbers. The few lame, unscientific reports I examined seemed to be catering to the masses, attempting to assuage people into thinking dumbass is not common. But, based on what I've experienced, I'm more inclined to think the IQ bell curve looks more like this:

the-real-iq.png

Discuss...

DeletedUser

It just means that the "average" human isn't very intelligent. :razz: .

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Your observation seems to reflect my experiences nicely.

I don't really have much else to add at the moment.

DeletedUser

Oh, ugh. Without doing the slightest bit of research (because I can't be bothered), I declare hooey on your graph, Hell.

1) Traditional IQ tests are geared towards a particular test subject and are therefore notoriously invalid.

2) On any scale measuring intelligence, a score of 40 to 55 (your numbers are askew, btw) indicates severely mentally challenged. Unless you've included Alzheimer's patients and people with acquired brain injuries in your statistical analysis, I challenge your assertion that 2% of the general population is severely mentally ******ed.

DeletedUser

That's only according to his personal observations. I think I'd find it harder to believe that 84% of people are below average; unless average has a new meaning these days. :unsure:

DeletedUser14280

I think I'd find it harder to believe that 84% of people are below average; unless average has a new meaning these days. :unsure:
It does depend on what average you're looking for.
If a median average, it's well possible to have a society of idiots with a few real diamonds in the rough, leading to the large majority being under average.
If a mode or median average, it would be quite impossible for 84% to be below average, because then they'd become the new average themselves.

DeletedUser

Mean average is used for IQ, and 100 is just the number they picked as being "average". I believe that would be the average you'd be looking for if you're discussing IQ.:razz:

DeletedUser9470

Over 140 - Genius or near genius
120 - 140 - Very superior intelligence
110 - 119 - Superior intelligence
90 - 109 - Normal or average intelligence
80 - 89 - Dullness
70 - 79 - Borderline deficiency
Under 70 - Definite feeble-mindedness

But, based on what I've experienced, I'm more inclined to think the IQ bell curve looks more like this:

the-real-iq.png

Discuss...

I believe this is the IQ bell curve for the USA?

Considering anything under 70 is considered mentally ******ed I reckon you live in/closeby to a mental institute? or in the USA? or in Afghanistan?
If that is your thoughts on the people you know if I were you id change country!

Seriously though, I think people have different aptitudes.
IQ test seems to determine wether or not your brain is switched on.
everyone can switch it on or off and wether you have done this is a different matter.
It thus is a measure of laziness, the only reason why your brain would be switched off.
So it was designed to help in recruitment. but nevertheless there are many flaws and thus isnt a tool any more.
so this test has no relevance whatsoever.

DeletedUser

There is no doubt, in my mind at least, that different regions of the U.S., and different regions in various other countries, have populations demonstrating a prevalence toward mental ******ation. In fact, I would assert that brain injuries are "acquired" through fundamentalism and particular social cliques' (like emos & conservatives), thereby reducing the overall IQ of a nation.

Oooo look, evidence ---> Click Here

DeletedUser9470

I agree.
Wales has a lot of inbreeding for example.

Your evidence is awesome:
Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQ
By Elizabeth Landau, CNN
February 26, 2010 5:03 p.m. EST
Anything lizzy writes is factual proof!

Ive got even better than CNN:
merry and pippin are clearly more intelligent than the other hobbits who appear to be inbred.
lord of the rings - J. R. R. Tolkien

tolkien>landau

even better:
Jesus said: hey! the average IQ level in USA in 2000 years will be 70!
The holy Bible - a load of low IQ guys(30) still above average at the time!

a load of low IQ guys 2000 years ago>tolkien>landau!
:)
shocking!

DeletedUser

I don't remember who said it but...
"Your only as intelligent.. depending on where you stand in the United States" (Quoting from Memory)

A Ozark backwoods Good ol' boy is gonna come off as really "dumb" standing on the floor of the US Stock Exchange, but put a Stockbroker
in the Okefenokee Swamp, and his "Smarts" disappear!

I recall experiments performed on groups of children. Random gradeschoolers, and a group of Australian Aborigines.

2 Trays of 20 objects were arranged. One had 20 modern objects: (Scissors, cookie, match, etc.) the 2nd tray was an assortment of
natural objects (Stones, cones, feathers) Groups were each given a length of time to view the objects; and then after removal, asked to
describe the objects. Each group viewed and described both trays. (The same trays were used)

The results?
The gradeschoolers did well on the modern objects, but poorly on the natural tray.
The Aborigines... Yep! Poor on modern objects, but phenomenal in describing the natural tray.

Memory is only a small aspect of Intelligence testing, but a big part of Intelligence is "Setting"! A single standardized tests can not hope
to indicate general Intelligence, and adapting it to suit the group being tested is well... Biased!!

As for personal evidence... Yes, I have met some REALLY stupid people, (In my opinion) and I have met some phenomenal 'brains' that
just made me shake my own head to listen to my pea rattle around. :huh:

Hellstromm perhaps you should get out more? Maybe in your 'Setting' you're only meeting the 'Stupid' ones? :laugh:

DeletedUser

I don't remember who said it but...
"Your only as intelligent.. depending on where you stand in the United States" (Quoting from Memory)

A Ozark backwoods Good ol' boy is gonna come off as really "dumb" standing on the floor of the US Stock Exchange, but put a Stockbroker
in the Okefenokee Swamp, and his "Smarts" disappear!

I recall experiments performed on groups of children. Random gradeschoolers, and a group of Australian Aborigines.

2 Trays of 20 objects were arranged. One had 20 modern objects: (Scissors, cookie, match, etc.) the 2nd tray was an assortment of
natural objects (Stones, cones, feathers) Groups were each given a length of time to view the objects; and then after removal, asked to
describe the objects. Each group viewed and described both trays. (The same trays were used)

The results?
The gradeschoolers did well on the modern objects, but poorly on the natural tray.
The Aborigines... Yep! Poor on modern objects, but phenomenal in describing the natural tray.

Memory is only a small aspect of Intelligence testing, but a big part of Intelligence is "Setting"! A single standardized tests can not hope
to indicate general Intelligence, and adapting it to suit the group being tested is well... Biased!!

As for personal evidence... Yes, I have met some REALLY stupid people, (In my opinion) and I have met some phenomenal 'brains' that
just made me shake my own head to listen to my pea rattle around. :huh:

Hellstromm perhaps you should get out more? Maybe in your 'Setting' you're only meeting the 'Stupid' ones? :laugh:

Spot on, Sam. At least in regards to perceived intelligence. Memory and intelligence are two different things in my opinion.

What it all comes down to, though, is I believe all people are equally capable, but in different realms. What really sets people apart is what they DO, not what they are capable of. Telling someone over and over again what they're capable of, but not helping them gain the skills and motivation needed to DO it, only hinders them. You know what they say about potential being a rock!

DeletedUser

I won't get into an argument about it here, but I beg to differ shaggscoob.
IQ test do a lot of memory testing.

We consider some one who can use the English language eloquently, as being intelligent. But what is 'English', or any language really?
It is remembering a whole lot of words, and their meanings. Memory?

Why don't you stick your finger into a candle flame on purpose? :eek:hmy:
Because deep down... somewhere in your 'Grey Matter' you remember that it hurts! Memory?

Enough said... Intelligence is a whole LOT of Memory.
(Don't get me started on the difference between 'Wisdom' and Intelligence!):nowink:

Edit: I am not contradicting my previous post regarding 'A little' and 'a Lot' of memory testing. In the first post I meant
the REAL actual memory testing questions... in this one I meant it in an overall memory 'usage' sense.

DeletedUser

I won't get into an argument about it here, but I beg to differ shaggscoob.
IQ test do a lot of memory testing.

We consider some one who can use the English language eloquently, as being intelligent. But what is 'English', or any language really?
It is remembering a whole lot of words, and their meanings. Memory?

Why don't you stick your finger into a candle flame on purpose? :eek:hmy:
Because deep down... somewhere in your 'Grey Matter' you remember that it hurts! Memory?

Enough said... Intelligence is a whole LOT of Memory.
(Don't get me started on the difference between 'Wisdom' and Intelligence!):nowink:

Edit: I am not contradicting my previous post regarding 'A little' and 'a Lot' of memory testing. In the first post I meant
the REAL actual memory testing questions... in this one I meant it in an overall memory 'usage' sense.

I meant to clarify much more on my statement, and for some reason I got distracted. I guess that's what happens when you write a post in stages between work tasks lol.

It seems to me that IQ testing is more of a test of logic than memory (at least all the testing I've done in my life). I would say logic and memory are quite different. You need memory to use logic, but you don't need logic to have memories. Obviously, these are just my thoughts; I could expound on them, and even change my mind in regards to them, but it's just the way I see it.

DeletedUser

I'm staying out of this.

According to OFFICIAL curve, I'm superman!

According to Hellboy's curve, I'm some Godzilla demigod which RRRAAAAAWWWRR! RAAWWWRR!
rubio_godzilla.jpg

DeletedUser

I'm staying out of this.

According to OFFICIAL curve, I'm superman!

According to Hellboy's curve, I'm some Godzilla demigod which RRRAAAAAWWWRR! RAAWWWRR!
Crap, mine's a mere 135. I guess that makes me Rambo:
rambo.jpg

Diggo11

There is no doubt, in my mind at least, that different regions of the U.S., and different regions in various other countries, have populations demonstrating a prevalence toward mental ******ation. In fact, I would assert that brain injuries are "acquired" through fundamentalism and particular social cliques' (like emos & conservatives), thereby reducing the overall IQ of a nation.

Oooo look, evidence ---> Click Here
An ineresting article, but does not prove your point to the extent you claim. The article claims that certain political or religious views tend for people to have an IQ five to ten points lower. Remember these specific views do not necessarily compound, as the logic behind the survey would imply the "intelligent population" would choose to be both liberal and athiest whilst the "impaired population" would naturally be both conservative and religious. It's also worth noting the majority of he earth's population is religious whilst, as a pure estimate, the conservatives v liberals would be somewhat closer to a balanced proportion.

With that in mind, you could reasonably say the average IQ lies somewhere between 106-90, leaning towards the lesser number. That is quite different to claiming the average IQ is between 85-70. So yeah you probably have a point, but the population is certainly not as "mentally ******ed" as you claim.

DeletedUser

Should middle class high school students be excluded from adding to this conversation? I'm not trying to be rude or anything... but I remember when I was in High School, I had this mental image of how the majority of people were in the world... and within a few WEEKS of being on my own out of high school, I came to realize that there are SO MANY morons in this world it hurts to think about it.

Take for example today when I went to Wal-Mart.... I was just picking up some pepsi for Amy and some cat food for Haze and some cigarettes for myself. The woman in front of me couldn't of been more then a 60 on the standard IQ test. She was yelling at the cashier because she couldn't understand how in the world a 2 liter of ginger ale was $1.60. She refused to pay for her items and demanded a manager come speak with her.

Keep in mind, there is only 1 lane you can buy smokes from in Wal-Mart, and I'd already waited about 10 minutes. The manager finally gets there after about 4-5 minutes and says "What seems to be the problem, miss?". At that point I almost lost it laughing because she was tipping the scales easily at 4 bills and yelling at a cashier because she was under the impression that her 2 liters of ginger ale would of rang up to $0.08 less then what it did.

Picture: 400+ pounds of hot dogs jabbering like Don Vito about $0.08 on a $75 transaction

Not even kidding here, after 5 minutes of arguing the manager did a manual override of the transaction and took off the 8 pennies she was complaining about.

This is just an ordinary every day example of life in the REAL WORLD. I go through random idiotic **** like this on a daily basis, and it STILL blows my mind to this day when it happens.

I'm with hellstromm on this... I might even go ahead and jump the gun claiming that 85% of the population is BELOW an IQ of 70. It just seems to me that there are SO MANY MORE idiots then there are people of AVERAGE intelligence. Anyone that has worked with people for a job or been in the real world on their own for more then a few years, WILL agree with me on this one.

(Which is why high school opinions shouldn't count, as easily 95% of high school students THINK they know what the real world is like... but they really have no clue)