The Final Coliseum: Victory, Death, or Humilation

• Thread starter Deleted User - 819397
  • Start date

Deleted User - 819397

Laura jumped out of bed. She hadn't undressed, knowing she'd just have to get going later to dinner...and to fight, it now seemed. She laced up her boots, getting angrier by the second. What was with this man? He just wouldn't leave her alone...and since his room was so close to hers, she couldn't avoid him for any length of time. It was all well and good for Shae to tell her to fight back, but any sign of rebellion just made Taranis bear down on her harder. There seemed no way out...

DeletedUser28032

Taranis stood with his back leant against the cold stone wall outside of Laura's cell as he casually counted out the numbers only to stop at twenty as she stormed out "Ah good, I trust I don't need to hold your hand?" he mocked pushing off of the wall to walk beside her. He could tell she was angry, furious in fact by the look in her eyes and the set of her shoulders let her if she’s smart she'll channel that anger Taranis thought to himself a smile once again touching his lips as they made their way to the training hall.
Once again collecting a pair of short swords Taranis steps into the ring "Go and pick yourself a weapon...hell I'll even let you use that toy sword you had earlier" he called to her as he flexed and stretched his muscles in preparation for the bout.
With her weapon chosen Taranis watches her step into the circle before pulling off his shirt and tossing it onto the floor revealing the large bruise covering his chest "Rule number one never reveal your weakness' to the enemy" he announced with a smile, spreading his arms out wide so as to make the bruise obvious to her “I am going to let that one slide seen as your tired” he mocked his weapons hanging loosely down by his side as he slowly made a circuit of the ring before stopping a few feet in front of her “Ok lets see what I am working with…Attack me…oh and make it count”

Deleted User - 819397

The fact Taranis was clearly mocking her in a way that lessened her in the eyes of everyone in the room made Laura throw caution to the wind. Her anger had reached threshhold level, and the realization that any emotion, not just fear, when strong enough, could trigger her power factored in too. The rapier she had grabbed fell to the floor as she looked at her tormentor, the anger clear in her eyes. "You want it to count? Fine."

The words which had been bursting to come forth she said, for once loud and clear rather than hushed and quickly. "Anger. Anger is the fire that consumes reason. Fire burns away all that exists in its rage...bring forth the element of anger...Burning Palm!" Her hand caught fire in a spectacular fashion, and it licked up her arm to the elbow. She quickly realized that this was going to be even harder to control this emotion than her fear, meaning she had to let the power go as soon as she attacked the first time, so this one had to count.

Pointing her open palm at Taranis, she fired a concentrated bolt of fire at his bruise, then shut off the power before it hit the man, knowing the guards would punish her if she actually hurt him. Trying to calm herself before it came back, she glared at her tormentor. "Don't try me," she scowled, then turned her back and began to leave the area, hoping Taranis didn't stop her.

DeletedUser13682

He had lost, but he had fought well. Ferruccio was satisfied, though he knew that if Frank could defeat him, then others could defeat him as well. He had to get better. Accepting the rapier, Ferruccio nodded. “Yes, let us drink, then try again. That was a good fight.” After getting water from a drinking pool set in a nearby wall, Ferruccio returned to the ring, where Frank was waiting for him. “Don’t expect that trick to work next time, Frank,” Ferruccio said with a smile on his face. Then, the fight was on.

Leading with an above head slice, Frank initiated combat, trying to catch Ferruccio off guard again. True to his word, Ferruccio didn’t let himself get fooled, and immediately blocked it, sending the sword flying back, and allowing Ferruccio to counterattack. Frank was able to block it again, and the rematch continued much the same as the first sparring match had. The people who had watched the first fight, gathered again, this time money and other valuables were changing hands. Spar Rematch took a different turn when Ferruccio knocked Frank’s sword into a corner post, embedding it in the wood. As Frank struggled to pull the sword free, Ferruccio set the tip of the rapier over Frank’s heart. “This time, fortune has changed. Now you are the one who is dead.”

Ferruccio laughed, and was about to suggest another fight, when he saw Taranis enter the room, a worried looking Laura behind her. They entered another training ring, and prepared to fight. Ferruccio was about to stop it, but the crowd had migrated to this arena, and blocked Ferruccio’s path to the arena. He could still see what was happening, though, and he worried for Laura.

It turned out he didn’t have anything to worry about. She got off a blast of fire, chanting something about how anger was fire and burned reason. The fire shot out from her palm, and was extinguished a couple of inches from Taranis’s chest, where a huge bruise was located. She immediately stormed out of the arena. Before Taranis could follow her, Ferruccio broke through the thinning crowd and joined her. “Now that was an impressive show of skill,” he complimented. “You really showed Taranis what you can do.” Ferruccio glanced at Taranis to see his face, then turned back to Laura. “Unfortunately, you also showed everybody else what you can do. I hope you have a few more hidden tricks up your sleeve.”

DeletedUser28032

Taranis stood and watched as Laura entered the ring a waiting the attack that was sure to come his way, she was furious, his last taunt seemingly tipping her over the edge as he had suspected it would. Contrary to his relaxed look Taranis' muscles were tensed and ready to deflect the obvious sword thrust to his bruised chest, however as her sword fell to the ground with a clatter he simply found himself raising an eyebrow in a you've got to be kidding me? Look "Rule number two hold on to your da...Jayzus!" without any warning Taranis watched as a burst of flame erupted from the girls hand only to evaporate mere inches from his chest.
With a stunned expression on his face Taranis found he unable to react for several seconds as she stormed off and the gathering crowd began to mutter amongst one another.
Snapping out of his sudden shock Taranis drops his swords in order to pursue her, forcing his way through the crowd in order to reach her just as Ferruccio finished speaking "Did you hear what I just said about revealing weaknesses? well that goes for strengths too" he spoke his voice full of urgency and just a slight hint of panic "Also if you're going to hit somebody Hit them!" it was as close as Taranis was willing to get to telling her that had she followed through with her attack then he would have been caught completely flat footed and most likely put onto his back.
Taking a sharp intake of breath Taranis turns to look at the wagon maker with a look of distaste on his face but knowing that he had no choice but to cooperate with him, he was currently the only person in this room other than himself that wouldn't turn on the girl stood beside him "We need to get her out of here...that little trick of hers has just made her a target"

Deleted User - 819397

Laura was about to gratefully reply to Ferruccio's concern when Taranis showed back up, seeming worried about her...calling her a target in the enemies' eyes at the moment. Still fighting her anger down, she managed to get out, "I didn't know what would happen until it happened. It wasn't anything like that for the match I was in." She didn't want to explain while Taranis was there that she had determined the individual emotions dictated what her power manifested as...she only knew fear and anger for sure...misery she hadn't tried out once it manifested. What would the other emotions do? She had no idea.

DeletedUser28032

"I also told you that a weapon you couldn't use was dangerous!...for the love of the gods girl you may not like my methods but I am trying to keep you alive here!" Taranis raged his voice getting steadily louder and angrier as his sentence had progressed, his eyes momentarily changing from green to muddy red and back again.
The stupid girls going to get herself killed and then my plans are going to be in tatters Taranis silently fumed gritting his teeth, his father would have beaten him bloody for pulling a stunt like that, it also meant that the goons he'd spoken with a few hours earlier would renege on the deal as soon as they found out she was the target so be it I'll just have to try something else.
Taking her roughly by the shoulder Taranis turned Laura to face the door before releasing his grip on her "Start walking...seen as you've made our lives rather difficult we need to have a little talk"

DeletedUser31931

Frank saw it all happen and saw Laura storm off, he saw Ferruccio go over and Taranis come over and he decided to come along too. He realised that what Laura had just done had made her a target to every single person in the arena right now. So he headed over. He didn't talk to them, he just shadowed them out of the hall and followed them to where they were going whilst listening in on them.

DeletedUser13682

Just as it appeared that Laura would respond to Ferruccio, Taranis popped up, and admonished her for revealing her power. Laura responded with an ignorance as to what she could do. That, if Ferruccio was completely honest, was not the best thing to do. He thought that maybe instead of focusing on her sword skills, he should help her develop and control her powers, not only to help her in the arena, but to help them not manifest themselves in inopportune moments. Taranis turned to Ferruccio, a look of disgust on his face, but managed to say in a calm voice that they needed to get Laura out of here, then turned to her to admonish her some more, before turning her to the door, and saying they needed to have a talk.

“I’m afraid I can’t let you do that, Taranis,” Ferruccio said, catching up to them, and walking out into the hallway with them. “If you’re going to have a ‘talk’ with Laura, I’m going to be there too. I don’t approve of your methods, but I can understand where you’re coming from, I hope. We’ll talk in my room, over some drink. I have a couple more bottles of wine, and a half bottle of the stronger liquid from the party.”

Deleted User - 819397

Laura wasn't sure how to get out of this "talk" with Taranis, but was saved by Ferruccio. She nodded her consent with the idea, not sure what to think of the whole situation. She knew her power was dangerous...she couldn't control it whatsoever...it only manifested when her emotions spiked to a certain level, and if she didn't shut it off quick enough she lost control of her own body as the power took over. Still, it was the only way she was going to survive...right? It wasn't like she was any good with normal weapons...

DeletedUser28032

Taranis shrugged his shoulders at Ferruccio's comment about wanting to take Laura to his room "Fine by me...though for the record it isn't in my interest to beat her to a pulp" no matter how tempting it was at the moment.
Moving down the stone corridors keeping Laura ahead of him Taranis made his way to Ferruccio's cell recalling the route he’d taken there the night before.
He hadn't planned on telling her anything until she had progressed with her training however her little magic show meant that he had little choice, he needed her to co-operate with him or he'd have to cut her loose and let her fend for herself in short a death sentence in his eyes.
Stepping into a cell identical in size and layout to his own Taranis realises for the first time that he’d left his shirt back on the training room floor making it the second one he’d lost in two days.
Waiting until both Laura and Ferruccio had entered the room before speaking “You need to start learning how this place works and fast or you will not live very long…I mean look at yourself... You’re not a warrior like Aughtr or myself, you have no fighting skills what so ever hell I bet even the carpenter here has some kind of weapons training…you…you however are a child and if you don’t start listening to what I have to tell you then you will die a child” he spoke in a low firm voice as his eyes look coldly down upon her all previous traces of malice now completely missing.
“My clan has a tradition of taking wards, I have chosen you. I will train you and protect you and when my time to die comes you will inherit all my land and wealth a long with any natural children I may have and will be treated as an equal in return you will treat me with respect and Listen to what I have to tell you understood?” he waited for the girl to respond even if it was just the nod of her head before carrying on in a much lower voice as he’d said before the walls had ears though as far as the carpenter was concerned he felt safe enough to speak in front of him after all if he was foolish enough to betray him then Taranis was more than capable of killing him.
“I have no intention of staying here…one day I will leave to claim my father’s lands and crown and if you so desire I will take you with me to become a princess amongst my people if not…well I may have taught you enough by then so that you can survive this place” he wasn’t sure how well the people of his clan would accept the city girl as nobility or at least what passed for nobility within Sais society but then again Taranis held no illusions that he would be able to claim his fathers crown without spilling blood, most likely that of his brothers so didn't think that would matter.
With his piece said Taranis prepared himself for the questions that were sure to follow but not before he asked one of his own “This…power of yours what exactly is it?”

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 819397

Laura listened to Taranis' arguments, first with disinterest, then shock, and finally settling on disbelief. When he had finished, ending by inquiring after her abilities, she laughed sardonically. "You...you're helping me? Your torturing me...it was to HELP me? Th-that's ridiculous! How could that..." She trailed off as she realized there was a twisted logic behind his actions. From what she'd been able to understand about his culture, strength was all that was important to him. She didn't look strong...from her actions she hadn't been particularly strong when he'd been around...she was the picture of weak in his eyes...so being nasty to her was helping her in his opinion...to toughen her up. His methods were crude, but his intent was clear. The whole "inheriting his fortune and family" part didn't make any sense, but at least the rest did, on some level, come together to form a twisted sort of logic.

Gathering her thoughts, she continued in a much calmer tone, "I...I understand. At least, I understand why you're doing what you're doing to me. I may not like it, but from what I know of your culture, you're really trying to help me. But...even so...your methods are a bit much. You're right, I haven't had any sort of training...I didn't even know my power existed until I used it in self-defense the day they caught me. I wasn't going to be a fighter...probably would have worked for my parents at the library."

Coming to a decision, she nodded. "Alright. I don't trust you yet, not by any means...but seeing as I don't get my power either, I don't see why I can't tell you what I know. I have a power that's...linked to my emotions somehow. If an emotion reaches a certain intensity, words spring to my mouth talking about the emotion...and then it manifests. Those flames...that was the first time anger manifested...for the fight, it was fear in the form of an electrified staff. I don't know if it's all emotions, but...the problem is I can't control it. If I don't shut it off soon enough, it takes control of me, and then it doesn't stop until the cause of the emotion is dead. That's why I shut off the fire when I did...I wouldn't have been able to stop otherwise." She stopped then, not sure how to continue.

DeletedUser13682

Ferruccio couldn’t believe what Taranis had said. Passing out a cup of water for Laura, a cup of wine for himself, and a cup of the ‘strong stuff’ for Taranis, Ferruccio had listened to the entire conversation with growing wonder and disbelief. After Laura had finished, Ferruccio took a sip of wine and spoke, “Taranis, I may not like your methods, but you’re right. We all need to get tougher to survive this place, and hopefully get out of here alive. But, I also have to agree with Laura. You’re being too tough on her. Keep on going the way you are, and you might have a dead heir instead of a living, presentable one. Perhaps we can work on training regimes for all of us, that we can all agree on, that will help us all hone our strengths why reducing our weaknesses? We can all help each other out, and then we can eventually all escape here with our lives, and hopefully all our body parts.”

After taking another sip of wine, Ferruccio waited for the responses, hoping both Laura and Taranis would agree to his plan. Even if both of them did, Ferruccio would still be on guard for anything Taranis might do. It didn’t make sense to Ferruccio why Taranis would pick Laura to be his heir, almost from the moment he met her.

DeletedUser31931

Frank followed them back to Ferruccio's room. He pulled out a glass he had swiped from the kitchen on the way there and listened. With a bit of strain he heard everything and nearly dropped the glass when he understand Taranis. Frank pulled the cup down and knocked on the door. He supposed it was time he told these people something. He owed it to them, and it could help Laura too.

DeletedUser28032

"I don't have time to be gentle with you, had I a month or even a year then maybe but i don't I have a day maybe two at the most to teach you enough to survive your next fight" Taranis replied in exasperation to the two of them as they protested about his methods but...then again perhaps they had a point, she was a soft city dweller not a Sais maybe a less brutal regime was required "...Perhaps I have been a little... harsh, I keep forgetting that you are not her" if he had noticed his slip up he didn't show it as he drank from the offered cup of liquor, listening intently as she described her power as best she could giving him a vague idea of her capabilities.
Standing in the middle of the room considers what has just been told as he finishes his drink before speaking again "Carpenter can you teach her to use that toy sword she is so fond of? If so I can teach her to fight as for her power..." Taranis shrugged his shoulders he was at a loss as to how to help her, although it was triggered in a similar way to his own he could barely control his own power let alone teach someone else.
He was about to voice as much when he heard the knocking at the door, throwing the door an angry look Taranis positions himself between it and Laura to shield her should it prove to be an attacker "Go and see who that is" Taranis said to Ferruccio after all it was his cell so it was only natural that he would answer the door.

DeletedUser13682

Ferruccio was glad to hear that in the end, Taranis would lighten up his training of Laura, and teach her to fight. Ferruccio would work on the sword. There was a mention of another person, but Ferruccio decided not to ask about her right now. It must be a very sensitive subject that was accidentally brought out. “Yes, I can teach her the rapier. Maybe I can help her with her power as well. Some of the clientele are from very far away parts of the world, and I’ve learned many things from them, including techniques on how to control emotions. Maybe that will help. What do you think of all this Laura? Can’t leave you out on your future.”

Just then, there was a knock on the door. Taranis almost instantly positioned himself between Laura and the door. The man was very fast, thought Ferruccio. Hope I don’t have to fight him. Taranis told Ferruccio to answer the door. “Alright. It’s my room after all. Half a minute!” Ferruccio grabbed a candle holder, and held it hidden behind the door as he opened it. On the other side was Frank. “Hello there, Frank. Come to give me that recipe?” Ferruccio asked, a large smile on his face as he quietly set the candleholder on the nearby floor.

DeletedUser31931

Frank saw the door open and the rest. "No, not yet my friend, I've come to help with the predicament here." Frank said "and I have a plan. Would you let me come in please?"

Deleted User - 819397

Still overwhelmed by the fact Taranis had changed his attitude entirely, Laura could only nod silently at Ferruccio's question if all the ideas were ok with her. The sudden knocking at the door freaked her out, and a man she vaguely recognized from the day before appeared on the other side, claiming to want to help. Her suspicions flared, and she silently hoped Ferruccio and Taranis would refuse his help...this was all too coincidental.

DeletedUser31931

Frank saw Laura's face after his proposal and swore in his head. She'll never acept the help now. Why can't things be easier in life?. He calmed himself, getting angry would get him nowhere. He hoped that at least Ferruccio would trust him.

DeletedUser28032

Never one for being able to control his temper Taranis storms across the room as he hears the other mans offer to help, realising that seen as neither of them had yet to speak of it to anybody that it only left one alternative.
Pushing Ferruccio aside Taranis seizes the intruder by the throat and hauls him into the room and slams him bodily into the stone wall before pushing him up it to leave his feet kicking several inches off of the ground "Have you been spying on me friend? you better had not of been because we have ways of dealing with spies and none of them are particularly pleasant" he snarls only a few inches from the mans face "you had better have some good explanations or I am going to start squeezing" he held no fear or scruples over choking a man to death in front of a pair of witnesses after all a cursed man has no fear.