The Fall From Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser13682

"Briccone broke his leash? I thought that would happen." Daniel took the note and read it. The story was very good, and it was an attempt to make Briccone impossible to catch. Of course, Daniel wasn't worried. Briccone would be catched. "This guy is smart, remember that. He's cleer. Finding him won't be easy, but it won't be impossible. I think there's a clue in this note. He says Gabriel Briccone is long gone. Gather up every person capable of changing entire aspects of the human body. Speech coaches, skin dyers, hair dressers, others of the sort. I want them all interrogated. Give them descriptions of Briccone, and offer very large amounts of money for information. I want Briccone captured, and I want the personal pleasure of executing that traitor myself."

DeletedUser

Raerrith
The High Inquisitor watched, he could see a court physician running down the corridor towards them, but he knew it would be too late.
The flow of blood streaming from Hardeng’s orifices increased, as his bodily convulsions ceased, the locksmith lay still.
It was then that the physician dashed through the door, opening a knapsack containing various medicine, he knelt down beside Sir Krane.
After a quick examination of the locksmith, the physician turned to Raerrith. “He’s dead sire.”
The High Inquisitor stepped outside into the passage and began to pace back and forth. They needed to find another locksmith, or professional lockpick. Surely the booby trap was a one-off, if it wasn’t, well, they’d just have to keep on trying until the box was open or every locksmith in the kingdom was dead.
The box had to be opened.

Daniel
“Okay. I’ll do that.” Leo replied, turning, he ran back down the corridor, leaving Daniel to his duties.
Although as Leo left, a pair of guardsmen moved up towards the Inquisitor, nervous expressions covered both their faces, and one began to speak up. “Inquisitor, if I may ask, do you know where Inquisitor Shyther is?”

Oren
“No, I’’m afraid that is all I can tell you.” Said Erh’dra. “They definitely look like they were forged in the West.” The merchant said conclusively, handing the weapons back to Oren. "If you have more samples then I sure I could help in identifying him.

DeletedUser31931

Oren swore under his breath, it appears the assassin's supplied themselves with their own weapons. One less lead. He took the weapons from Erh'dra and said "I'll be back soon." He left the shop and crossed the city quickly. He didn't stop for anything else, upon entering the keep he turned off and headed for the morgue, where he thought Vorashti's clothes might be.

DeletedUser13682

Daniel blinked at the guardsmen who came up to him, asking if he had seen Inquisitor Scyther. At first, he wanted to yell at the men, but he wasn't in the mood. Instead, Daniel shook his head. "Sorry, men. I haven't seen Inquisitor Scyther. What he does doesn't go through me. I would recommend you check with High Inquisitor Raerrith, but he is in a foul mood right now. What do you want with Inquisitor Scyther, and I'll pass your message on to him if I see him. If it's secret, well, if you can't trust a fellow guardsman, than who can you trust?"

DeletedUser

Krane looked down at the corpse of the locksmith and then up at Raerrith.
'I should go and tell his son.' he said. 'If you will allow, I will take the box. His son may have picked up some of the trade.'

He would show the box and get an oppinion but he would not put the boy in danger but he wasn't going to say that to the High Inquisitor. He doubted the man would understand Krane's sense of obligation.

DeletedUser

Raerrith
"I should go and tell his son. If you will allow, I will take the box. His son may have picked up some of the trade."
Raerrith stood over Hardeng’s body, both the physician and Sir Krane looked up at him, fearful of what he might say next.
The High Inquisitor ground his teeth together, before giving his orders; “Physician, remove the body, see if you can find what sort of venom was on the dart. Krane, go do it, we have to get the box open.” He firmly instructed.

Daniel
The two guardsmen looked at one another nervously.
One of them spoke up;
“Sir, it was Inquisitor Raerrith who asked us to find Inquisitor Shyther sir, but…”
“We can’t find him sir.” Butted in the other guard.

Oren
Vorashti’s body lay in the dungeons, under the eye of The Scourge, along with Rothaw, Uurden, and all the other victims from that night.
The Scourge would be keeping the bodies for whatever purpose she had in mind, but as to the daggers se would probably give away to Oren, he doubted that they would be much use to her.

Crux
Crux rode up through the country as fast as his horse could gallop, eventually he arrived back at the capital, his horse near dying of exhaustion, he guided it into the stables, before leaping off and running to find Raerrith.
Oren had instructed him to go to The Scourge, but Crux was fearful of Raerrith’s personal mistress of torture.
Instead, he would go to Raerrith. The High Inquisitor could deal with The Scourge. Crux wasn’t going anywhere near her.

Shyther
The two hooded figures pushed Shyther into the cold stone cell. The Inquisitor fell to the floor. “You’ll pay for this!” He shouted from beneath the hessian sack placed over his head.
As his hands and feet were bound, he could not stand up, instead he lay still, figuring out the best possible course of action.
His thoughts were soon interrupted when the door opened, he could hear two pairs of footsteps as they entered the room.
One pair of footsteps took up position behind him, another stood in front of him.
Suddenly he was hauled up onto his knees and the bag was pulled off his head.
Shyther squinted, trying to focus on his surroundings, he didn’t know how long it was since he’d been pounced on and brought to…well, wherever he was.
As his eyes gained focus, he saw that he was in a stone cell, probably underground.
In front of him stood a hooded figure, about five foot six, dressed head to toe in black cloth.
“Inquisitor Shyther.” Spoke the figure, the voice was plain, without emotion, it’s pitch did not change as the figure continued; “Do you know where you are?”
“No.” Shyther answered.
“Do you know who I am?”
“No.”
“Can you think why you might be here?”
Shyther paused. “What do you want?”
The figure breathed inwards. “You get to the point. That is good.”
Gracefully, the figure knelt down, until it was face to face with Shyther, who could see underneath the hood.
Underneath lay a white wooden mask, covering the entire face, even the eyes, nose and mouth.
On the forehead of the mask were delicately painted black runes, arranged in some sort of pattern.
The figure spoke once more, this time, the pitch changed to a more sinister tone.
“I want you.”

DeletedUser13682

High Inquisitor Raerrith wanted Scyther? Daniel wondered what for. "You've already looked for him in his quarters, right? My advice to you is to wait until he returns from whatever it is he's doing. I can't look for him now, I have to visit someone. Excuse me, guardsmen." Daniel nodded to the guardsmen, and headed to the dungeons. With luck, the Scourge would be there, and Daniel could get his job done and maybe get some sleep.

DeletedUser

When Krane arrived at the small house that Hardeng's son had lodgings in. He knocked and greeted the old lady who lived there before being lead up to the son's room.
He couldn't remember much of the son. Only that he had a poor head for fighting. He was too eager to strike and always left his guard low and forgotten while he swung wildly. Krane had not gone gently on him during training and he suspected that he had broken more than a few of the boys ribs in a futile attempt to teach him to keep his guard.
Despite that, he knew the boy was a good lad at heart and Hardeng had been fond of him during the ramblings of his drinking. Krane felt a heavy weight on his shoulders as he knocked on the door.
‘Mind if I come in?’ He asked when the boy answered. ‘I have bad news.’

DeletedUser31931

(OOC: This is all agreed with tiger)
Oren knocked at the door of the morgue, one of the Scourge's assistants answered, explaining that the Scourge was busy. Oren explained why he was there and the assistant could see no problems with it so she let him through. Oren opened the jacket and confirmed his hunch, they were daggers alright. He took them and left the morgue, heading out of the castle and back to the weapons shop.

DeletedUser

Sir Krane

"Mind if I come in? I have bad news."

The boy nodded and opened the door wide. The room was small, and all that sat within it was a rotting wooden bedframe and small table, upon which lay a set of lockpicks.
The boy was about twelve or thirteen, spots covered his face, and his hair was a greasy, unkempt mess. "What is it?" He asked.

Daniel

Daniel descended the long spiral stairs into the Scourge's cold dungeon.
The stairs ended at a thick wooden door, at which two guards stood motionless.
Automatically they unlocked the door and opened it for the Inquisitor. Beyond lay a long passageway, with thick cell doors on either side.
It was near silent, aside from the demented mutterings of some of the unfortunates incarcerated here.
The passage widened out into a large chamber. The Scourge's stewards stood, like statues, alongside the many instruments of torture that filled the room.
Stretching racks, thumbscrews, judas cradles, iron maidens, alfets, heretic's forks, instep borers, head crushers, knee splitters, cat's paws, tabilla, strappado, wooden horse, iron combs, choke pears, and all manner of masochistic instruments of pain lay around. However, on a table in the middle of the room lay three corpses. Vorashti, Uurden and Rothaw. The bodies of the two assassins had not yet been sent down.
It was over this table that The Scourge ominously stood, a cloaked figure in black. Indeed if the light was correct, one could be easily mistaken for thinking that she was nothing more than a shadow or some trick of the eye.

Oren

Back at the weapons shop Erh'dra perused Vorashti's daggers. Now that Oren could see them, he immediately recognised that they were almost exactly the same as the dagger that had been thrown at him the previous day. It was long, thin, curved, expertly crafted and probably Eastern.
Erh'dra confirmed his suspicions. The daggers were from the same stock.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31931

Oren smiled, something had gone his way. "Well the Erh'dra I suppose if they are of the same stock, I could finish our previous agreement now. Your best sword for one of these daggers. Do we have a deal?"

DeletedUser

Erh'dra nodded eagerly, he turned and scurried into the back room.
Several minutes later, he returned carrying a large broadsword, it was half as tall as Oren, the blade was a good three inches wide, and the handle was laden with black silver, an incredibly rare substance.
"This is from the far North, beyond the ice sea and the winter plains." Said the merchant. "The blade is strong enough to cleave through a fully armoured knight on horseback, yet is remarkably light." He said, demonstrating his point by flipping the weapon, handing the hilt to Oren.
"I trust you find the trade satisfactory?"

DeletedUser

Sir Krane placed a hand on the boys shoulder and guided him to the bed where he sat him down. 'It's your father lad. He died today. I am sorry lad.'

Krane waited judging the boys response and ready to comfort him if he needed it. Then a thought came to him. He couldn't leave the boy living like this alone so he added, 'You will have to come with me. I need a squire and I know you are a good lad.'

Krane knew it wasn't much of an offer for a young boy who had lost the last of his family but it was all he had.

DeletedUser31931

Oren tested the blade out, performing a couple of manoeuvres and finding it was brilliant. "Of course, it is brilliant, Thank you Erh'dra." He took a sheath for the sword and attached it to his belt. "And as I promised, my payment of a dagger. I assume your quality guarantee of it breaks, you replace is on as always?" he asked. He wanted to make sure that he didn't accidently get caught out. "Also, does it have a name?" he asked "If not, then I might ask you to engrave it with one."

DeletedUser

Sir Krane

The boy sat silently as he was told that his father was dead. Then, with all the tact of a man with not very much tact, Sir Krane proceeded to offer the boy a position as his squire.
"I...I..." The boy stuttered, mind still focused on the death of his father.

Oren

"Of course!" Erh'dra beamed as he took the dagger from Oren, however behind the satisfied grin Oren had a feeling that the merchant was hiding something. No. It was probably just a passing moment of paranoia.
"Also, does it have a name? If not, then I might ask you to engrave it with one."
"Ah, yes, it's name is déantóir baintreach, in our tongue it is called Widowmaker."

DeletedUser31931

"Much obliged Erh'dra, I'll be off now." Oren left the shop and headed back to the castle. He was famished. He'd have some food and then practice his swordplay for a bit.

(OOC: I'll not post again until everyone else has caught up on time, tiger, you can decide when that is)

DeletedUser13682

Daniel arrived at the entrance to the dungeon, a long, cold, dark spiral staircase, designed to intimidate those prisoners who were conscious. Daniel had no fear of this place, being not a prisoner; still, he could understand the fear encountered by those prisoners. For many, it would be the last time they descended stairs as living people. At the bottom of the stairs, a short, straight corridor was encountered, designed to hold a thick wooden door, enforced by iron bands, and guarded by hand picked Royal Guardsmen. As Daniel approached, they saw his Inquisitor patch on his uniform, they opened the door for him, and allowed him entrance to the dungeon.

Once inside, Daniel walked down a hallway, lined with cells, most of which were empty. The few that weren’t were filled with broken prisoners who seemed like they could do little more than mutter incoherents. Eventually, the passage widened, allowing room for the various and numerous devices and instruments of torture and their operators that the Scourge employed. Looking at a few of them, Daniel was very glad that he wasn’t strapped to one of these devices, especially the Judas Cradle. Just looking at it made a man wince.

Up ahead was Daniel’s destination; a large table holding the three dead villains, or victims, in the case of Uurden. Strangely, the assassins weren’t being tortured down here. Maybe the reason was so Daniel wouldn’t have to witness the proceedings. At the table, along with the corpses, was the reason for Daniel’s coming down here, the Scourge. She was over the table, doing something or other. At least Daniel thought it was the Scourge. From this angle, she almost looked like a desert mirage. “Scourge!” Daniel called out. “I was sent here by High Inquisitor Rothaw to inquire about the status of our corpses. Also, have the new prisoners made it down here yet?”

DeletedUser

Daniel
“I was sent here by High Inquisitor Rothaw to inquire about the status of our corpses. Also, have the new prisoners made it down here yet?”
The Scourge swirled around to face Daniel. She was fast, like the crack of a whip. She strode towards him, although strangely it almost looked like she was gliding.
She stopped exactly five yards in front of him. Giving off a clear message that he was not to move a step without her permission.
"No. The new prisoners have not been delivered. When they will I will deal with them. Then I will inform Raerrith when I have results. As to the corpses, an associate of mine will arrive shortly, we will...procure results from the bodies." She spoke sharply, without a hint of emotion.
"If you wish to stay and watch the 'proceedings'. Then you may, although be warned you may find it somewhat...disturbing."

DeletedUser13682

Daniel was surprised by the quick movements that his words produced. Almost instantly, not unlike a crossbow bolt freshly unleashed (not to forget the fact that she appeared to be a spectre of some sort), she was no more than five yards from Daniel. Judging from her mood and mannerisms, it was clear that she had not changed into a warm and inviting person since last night. It was clear that the Scourge was in change of this area, and right now, the order was for Daniel to remain stationary until further notice.

As the Scourge explained the situation, Daniel became slightly worried. Nothing had happened, that wouldn't bode well with Raerrith, and Daniel would probably receive the blame, even though he had nothing to do with lack of progress. There was a ray of light, though. Daniel was invited to stay and watch the reanimation process. Then, afterwords, he would be able to report the results. "I would be glad to watch, Scourge, "Daniel responded. "Don't worry about gruesome. I don't think there is much that can top what I saw in the Tauri conflict."

DeletedUser

Daniel

"I would be glad to watch, Scourge, Don't worry about gruesome. I don't think there is much that can top what I saw in the Tauri conflict."
"Very well." The Scourge replied. "But do not say that I did not warn you." With that the Extractor Of Truths turned and 'glided' back to where she had first stood.
Not talking, she stood silently and motionlessly for many minutes until eventually heavy footsteps could be heard from the corridor.
Daniel turned as someone else entered the chamber.
He (was it a he?) stood six feet tall, and appeared to be naked.
No...wait, he wore armour of the purest black, over which was stretched taut human skin. Most sickening was his 'face', over his helmet, a skinned human face stared on with an expression of terror.
The figure glanced at Daniel as he moved towards The Scourge.
"I did not expect bystanders." The figure belched, it's voice dark and deep, sounding like no accent Daniel had ever heard before.
"Neither did I. But he is of no consequence." The Scourge replied.
The figure stopped in front of the bodies, he examined them acutely. "You want me to bring them to the surface?" He asked.
"Yes."
"You know the price I ask?"
"Yes."
"It will be paid for?"
"Yes."
The figure pulled from it's belt a long, black poignard, painted in various symbols.
"Good. I will commence with the job." Abruptly the figure slammed the dagger into the heart of Rothaw's corpse. With both hands held tight around the dagger, the figure leant down to kiss Rothaw's cold dead mouth.
As the two touched, the figure began to scream, a deep dark sound straight from Daniel's darkest childhood nightmares, and his body began violent spasms, but never moving from his position.
This continued for some time, until the figure sprang away from Rothaw.
Daniel watched in amazement as Rothaw's eyes flicked open. Back from the dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.