The Easter Showdown discussion

DeletedUser35143

I guess it will change then, I look forward to the details :)

And about the FF on dakota, yes the world needs to work hard to balance that out and its not happening yet. Won't take forever until it reaches a critical point where either the majority gives up or battle together.

DeletedUser

The massive advantage that the items sets give one user over another should be addressed by the new job system due to be introduced in v2.04.

I think this might be much too little way too late, though. And it really doesn't do much to offset the advantage nugget players have if those high-end items are only available by purchasing them.

....it has been known for a long time that fort builds work on a diminishing returns basis and once you hit a certain point additional skills provide little in the way of results.

Except for HP. Which is honestly the only skill that seems to matter any more in FFing. The other skills have been made pretty irrelevant by the ease with which a 10K+ HP FFer can fight his way through people with plenty of Aim, Dodge, Leadership, etc. So I guess I can agree that a set probably doesn't offer much help over any other. Unless it has a big HP bonus.

Bearing in mind the average fort fighter is level 80-120, the bonuses from using even standard gear before the new item sets came out could take you to this ideal spot considered to be the point at which to invest no further skills to your fort build. It is considered past this point the only useful skill in fort battles is health.

And for years, you yourself have been a pretty big advocate of the HP Monster, freely admitting that it was fairly pointless to put points in anything other than HP. Unless you also wanted to do any quests, since HP isn't used in quests.

Another thing to consider when discussing the gap between premium and non premium users in regards to fort battles is that the very nature of fort battles is about team work, thus negating the point of a possible advantage being held by an individual.

But this touches on the other issue. Too many worlds were opened. People were too spread out. Too many people quit the game before they started consolidating the worlds. Teamwork requires an actual full team. Since even the more active worlds seem to have problems filling the forts, then individual players will have more effect on the outcome. Especially when those players have been able to sink a bunch more points in HP.

...this is surely leading to an overpowered build favoring ranged duelists and subsequently premium ranged duelists who manage to acquire these items faster than none premium duelists.

And this is another reason why I grow weary of this game. I enjoyed the dueling aspects of this game for years. Primarily because there was no best build. Every build had it's strengths and weaknesses. Some were better at some things than others, but the differences could easily be offset by a bit of skill. Since they nerfed most dueling builds (except the 0-mots that could have used a nerfing), there's no longer any skill in dueling. It's a luck game. Duelers would be just as well off rolling a few dice.

A quick fix for the secondary problem affecting melee duelists would be to alter the bonuses on the item sets to make them equally fair for melee duelers as well as ranged.

A quick fix would be to make secondary skills actually matter again. Move away from simple build dueling and seriously reduce the luck factor. Make dueling a challenge again. Make people have to actually work for their dueling.

...the market is regularly stocked with certain items from these sets, usually headgear and neckbands.

You won't find the higher end items on the market, even your Alliance market, for prices that don't require a serious cash grind to even come close to being affordable. $200K-300K+ for most shiny items in this game is pretty ridiculous. Especially for a casual player who's been stuck with only being able to do a couple hours of jobs while he's at work or before the motivation penalty hits him.

Even if they met the wishes of non premium users halfway by introducing future questlines with rewards that mirror the DOI and tombola item sets to an extent.

ALL items should be achievable without having to pay for them. It was a huge pain and took over a year to get the GG. Not only was it worth it, but I felt like I accomplished something in each world that I got it. There's no reason that all of the other items can't be like that. And pulling chest rewards (not to mention the reduction in quality of items that dropped from those chests) from Fort Fighting definitely hurt the non-paying player's chance of acquiring higher end items.

...while still giving premium players something deserved of their contribution.

And what of the contributions of many of these same players who spent years paying for this game a few bucks at a time to do extra jobs and get extra energy or bonuses (though not extreme)? Again, their whole monetization system here is broken. There's no more balance in this game. Despite what some people seem to think, you do need both paying and non-paying players. Those non-payers aren't freeloaders. They're the people that are bringing in more players who may eventually become paying players. Or they're people like me who have sunk quite a bit of money into this game during its earlier days. For nothing more than the ability to queue up enough jobs to last through my work day. That alone was a pretty big motivator to drop a few bucks a month on each of the worlds I played. And that was why this game still had a balance. No matter how much money I dropped on this game, it didn't guarantee that I would destroy any other player that got in my way. It gave me a small advantage. But not one that a dedicated non-payer couldn't achieve with time and effort.

Only Inno can tell us which method has been more profitable for them. But being that I've known quite a few people who saw value in actual micro-transactions in this game, I would be astonished to find that this game has become more profitable with fewer people willing to pay to play and a small number of people looking to pay to win. But like I said, I don't run their books and I don't make the decisions about this game. I'm simply a player who's stuck with this company since the early days of Tribal Wars. And I hate that they are killing a game that I love.

And about the FF on dakota, yes the world needs to work hard to balance that out and its not happening yet. Won't take forever until it reaches a critical point where either the majority gives up or battle together.

Unfortunately it will require many of those paying players to give up before the non-payers have a chance to restore balance. No matter how hard they fight, non-payers still haven't found a way to pack more people on an Offense or a Defense.

I guess I just don't understand how Inno sees any longevity in a game where they run off 90% of their players by allowing a small percentage of people to play in god-mode. Getting stomped by someone who bought their way to near-invincibility is pretty demoralizing to someone who spent years working their way there.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Well, the every six hours thing isn't working. I keep getting some kind of error message that disappears before I can copy and paste it.

DeletedUser35352

The free round doesnt work for me and also tried 800 nugs round that worked fine and after that an 150 nugs round and i got similar error message as for free rounds error. Nugs gone and no item or report.
Well, this easter dueling thing is very buggy since implemented on beta (at least for free rounds) and after 2 days of testing Inno implemented same buggy stuff for regular worlds... Next time please change picture and leave the crismass loterry solution so we at least get what Inno promises to give for nuggets.

DeletedUser29922

The free round doesnt work for me and also tried 800 nugs round that worked fine and after that an 150 nugs round and i got similar error message as for free rounds error. Nugs gone and no item or report.
Well, this easter dueling thing is very buggy since implemented on beta (at least for free rounds) and after 2 days of testing Inno implemented same buggy stuff for regular worlds... Next time please change picture and leave the crismass loterry solution so we at least get what Inno promises to give for nuggets.

I have the same problem.I had my free duel yesterday when the event begun and now i'm getting this error something message when i try to do a free duel

DeletedUser15641

The Easter showdown has an error which happens after timer runs out, it only is unlocked by bonds but if your locked up and don't have anything other than nuggets, don't use it.(don't use nuggets for now since it might suck it and never give anything)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8627

We are having a slight issue at the moment. Yesterday a patch was released to make sure this doesn't occur but doesn't seem to be successful.

I'll announce once it has been fixed.

DeletedUser35143

We are having a slight issue at the moment. Yesterday a patch was released to make sure this doesn't occur but doesn't seem to be successful.

I'll announce once it has been fixed.

Ok thank. (I don't currently have the issue, but I hear of it a lot)

DeletedUser14006

I think this might be much too little way too late, though. And it really doesn't do much to offset the advantage nugget players have if those high-end items are only available by purchasing them.

It is never too late to issue a fix to a problem. The point I was directing at Stilla was that this feature will help close the gap between how a premium and non premium user can advance through the game. Without having to spend nuggets to use the placate shaman feature or to buy skill reset potions from the union shop tricky high level quests previously too difficult and out of reach of non premium users are now achievable.

By introducing this feature Inno have listened to the community and made things easier for those not in a position to buy premium, at a loss to their income too I might add. +1 for non premium users.

And for years, you yourself have been a pretty big advocate of the HP Monster, freely admitting that it was fairly pointless to put points in anything other than HP. Unless you also wanted to do any quests, since HP isn't used in quests.

Spot on bud, I have and will continue to be an advocate of HP builds when focusing solely on fort battles. I will be an advocate of the tank build until the day the developers rework the effect that the other primary skills have during a fort battle.

The point I was attempting to put across to Stilla here is related exactly to the aforementioned views that having skills boosted beyond a certain level is fruitless, subsequently having for example Natty's set will not offer much benefit in regards to fort battles.

But this touches on the other issue. Too many worlds were opened. People were too spread out. Too many people quit the game before they started consolidating the worlds. Teamwork requires an actual full team. Since even the more active worlds seem to have problems filling the forts, then individual players will have more effect on the outcome. Especially when those players have been able to sink a bunch more points in HP.

Not sure where you are going with this one bud, the discussion here is about the gap between premium and non premium users and the effects that new item sets are having on the game.

The point I am trying to convey here is that whilst the gap obviously exists, more so in other aspects of the game than fort battles itself, even if we put the spotlight onto fort battles we have to remember that it is a team event and both sides will have a mix of non premium and premium users, so the advantage that an individual holds does not necessarily extend to and produce improved results in a fort battle.

And this is another reason why I grow weary of this game. I enjoyed the dueling aspects of this game for years. Primarily because there was no best build. Every build had it's strengths and weaknesses. Some were better at some things than others, but the differences could easily be offset by a bit of skill. Since they nerfed most dueling builds (except the 0-mots that could have used a nerfing), there's no longer any skill in dueling. It's a luck game. Duelers would be just as well off rolling a few dice.

I completely agree with this and this has not gone unnoticed, Da Twista has already responded to this point however just a few posts above your own here.

Roadmap 2013!

There are plans for a rework of the dueling system that we use currently, hopefully with this balance will be restored.

A quick fix would be to make secondary skills actually matter again. Move away from simple build dueling and seriously reduce the luck factor. Make dueling a challenge again. Make people have to actually work for their dueling.

This issue has already been addressed with the proposal of the new duel system.

I feel you have missed the essence of what I was trying to portray here though, this was in response not to how the current duel system works or how it should work, it was addressing the point of a flaw that was noticed in the new item sets rewarded via 'The Showdown' easter event. It was picked up on that these sets would unsettle balance between ranged and melee duelers in favor of ranged.

However though I am pleased to announce this problem was addressed promptly and by returning feedback to the developers the items sets were reworked to resolve the issue of balance between melee and ranged duelers.

You won't find the higher end items on the market, even your Alliance market, for prices that don't require a serious cash grind to even come close to being affordable. $200K-300K+ for most shiny items in this game is pretty ridiculous. Especially for a casual player who's been stuck with only being able to do a couple hours of jobs while he's at work or before the motivation penalty hits him.

I posted this in response to how I viewed things during the xmas tombola and for a short while afterwards when all kinds of items were available on the markets, from set item pants, to coats and even rifles on occasion.

Of course these are not going to be cheap, especially if someone has paid nuggets to obtain them. Folk spend a lot of nuggets to get these items, especially the high end ones and I bet they do not get what they had hoped for every time, I know this as I received about 450-500 stinking bonds from a few of the NPC duels :laugh:

People should have learned to save their cash by now instead of being whimsical with it, since the market was first introduced I have always tried to stockpile cash ready to buy the next big item from the market.

On the other hand though I stick to my view on this and there are some good people out there that are willing to help their town/alliance mates out.

Take Tom Paris aka - Merrill - for example, he is a sucker for helping out the good folk of his town on world one :rolleyes:

I myself have been prone to the odd bout of generosity selling rare items like key 3, William Tilghman's Belt and other such items at massively discounted rates, I will again this time around, once the event is over and the dust has settled check with a few friends to see if they need anything before listing my booty on the market.

This is why I believe there must be many other folk in the same situation doing the same thing.

ALL items should be achievable without having to pay for them. It was a huge pain and took over a year to get the GG. Not only was it worth it, but I felt like I accomplished something in each world that I got it. There's no reason that all of the other items can't be like that. And pulling chest rewards (not to mention the reduction in quality of items that dropped from those chests) from Fort Fighting definitely hurt the non-paying player's chance of acquiring higher end items.

I 100% disagree with your opinion on this, if everything was obtainable without having to pay for it then why would anyone opt to pay for it in the first place.

I agree that balance must be maintained to an extent but premium in its very nature should reward a player with a slight advantage hence why I suggested that one way to close the gap between non premium and premium users would be to introduce a quest that once completed could reward the player with an item or item set almost equal to an item that is made obtainable exclusively through using nuggets. This would restore balance partly while still offering incentive for nuggets to be spent.

If you do not agree with my idea I would urge you to come up with an alternative as your idea does not support the interests of the company that run the game as they would lose out big in nugget purchases and without them the game would not be further developed and maybe even cease to exist.

And what of the contributions of many of these same players who spent years paying for this game a few bucks at a time to do extra jobs and get extra energy or bonuses (though not extreme)? Again, their whole monetization system here is broken. There's no more balance in this game. Despite what some people seem to think, you do need both paying and non-paying players. Those non-payers aren't freeloaders. They're the people that are bringing in more players who may eventually become paying players. Or they're people like me who have sunk quite a bit of money into this game during its earlier days. For nothing more than the ability to queue up enough jobs to last through my work day. That alone was a pretty big motivator to drop a few bucks a month on each of the worlds I played. And that was why this game still had a balance. No matter how much money I dropped on this game, it didn't guarantee that I would destroy any other player that got in my way. It gave me a small advantage. But not one that a dedicated non-payer couldn't achieve with time and effort.

Only Inno can tell us which method has been more profitable for them. But being that I've known quite a few people who saw value in actual micro-transactions in this game, I would be astonished to find that this game has become more profitable with fewer people willing to pay to play and a small number of people looking to pay to win. But like I said, I don't run their books and I don't make the decisions about this game. I'm simply a player who's stuck with this company since the early days of Tribal Wars. And I hate that they are killing a game that I love.

I am on board with your line of thinking here but you are comparing the game as it was then with the game as it is now and this is why you are dissatisfied. Everything has to move forward and in doing so there will be some things you appreciate, like the new map, fort battle class bonuses, etc and equally things you dislike which I think you have pretty much covered here.

While this is a community based game it is still a game owned and developed by Innogames and it ultimately falls at their feet to decide in which direction to take it. We can offer our advice and ideas but if they choose not to accept that we do not have to like it but I feel we have to appreciate it as it is their business and they will do what they feel necessary to continue to make it thrive.

Whether or not the company is receiving more or less revenue through premium purchases now as suppose to back when things were a lot simpler I have no idea but logic would dictate to me that they must be doing alright, otherwise they would try to recreate what they had previously.

Like yourself I am a big fan of the game and whichever way they decide to take us I will be along for the ride as at the end of the day it is just a game and I spend nuggets happily as I am enjoying my experience, if others are not I am sure this will tell in their purchases and this will act as definitive feedback for the developers.

"Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game."
Michael Jordan

DeletedUser

Well, the every six hours thing isn't working. I keep getting some kind of error message that disappears before I can copy and paste it.

Here's the message that I get...

ERROR: duplicate key value violates unique constraint
“tw_wof_gamble_cooldown_pkey” DETAIL: Key (wof_id, player_id,
enhance)=(2, 1497462, 0) already exists. in query INSERT INTO
tw_wof_gamble_cooldown (wof_id, player_id, enhance, cd_till)
VALUES ($1, $2, $3, now() + $4::interval) RETURNING
$5+extract (epoch from cd_till-current_timestamp)

I'm so confused:huh:.

DeletedUser35143

It is a server side error.

They are most likely fixing it currently (at this moment there is an update going on)

DeletedUser25169

The bandits' duelling skills are quite weak; it is intended that players very rarely (if ever) lose. If you lose then you can challenge that bandit again for free, however you must first wait six hours before doing so. Alternatively you can bribe the bandit and receive your reward immediately (see below).

Opponents are far from quite weak... I am losing more than winning the duels..

DeletedUser17350

I lost 2 out of 10 free duels in 5 net worlds so far. What happens, if I use nuggets and loose?

DeletedUser19518

The bandits' duelling skills are quite weak; it is intended that players very rarely (if ever) lose. If you lose then you can challenge that bandit again for free, however you must first wait six hours before doing so. Alternatively you can bribe the bandit and receive your reward immediately (see below).

Opponents are far from quite weak... I am losing more than winning the duels..

Indeed. I lost one cuz i havent been in dueling mode. Also i couldnt duel him back from free..
What happened?
I try to sychronize duels so as to be active every 6 hours. Through bugz i lost it. Now
I will be 12 hours without shot...

Seems that we have to duel them seriously.. :p

DeletedUser25169

true, if i don't wear best dueling gear i have, i'll likely lose.

I lost even with my best dueling clothes on,
I am not a dueler, but FF'er, and with my best clothes I managed to lose without making a single hit on my big Fred.

DeletedUser22685

Just a hint, the NPCs mirror a slightly weaker version of your skills. I actually noticed better success with 0 duel skills. Maybe try appearance gear if you're having trouble.