The death of Jobs

DeletedUser28032

*Shrugs* My shirt has Iron Maiden written on it, unless you already like their music i can't see it having any effect on you

DeletedUser

Right, so you're a free, walking and willing billboard for a rock band. How does it feel to be used?

DeletedUser28032

Doesn't worry me, unlike a Walmart shirt a high proportion of the people who see my shirt won't have a clue as to who Iron Maiden are (Thank you very much X factor) and those who do know who they are will either not care because it doesn't interst them or will already posesse their music and probably a shirt of their own.
In short a T-shirt with a band on it isn't really about advertisment (after all the tour in question has long since been sold out and finished) but more for showing you support for that particular band so its no different than wearing a football shirt in that respect

DeletedUser

Doesn't worry me, unlike a Walmart shirt a high proportion of the people who see my shirt won't have a clue as to who Iron Maiden are (Thank you very much X factor) and those who do know who they are will either not care because it doesn't interst them or will already posesse their music and probably a shirt of their own.
In short a T-shirt with a band on it isn't really about advertisment (after all the tour in question has long since been sold out and finished) but more for showing you support for that particular band so its no different than wearing a football shirt in that respect
Welcome to the sell. I.e., that's what they want you to rationalize. The fact is, every t-shirt with "Iron Maiden" on it is an advertisement and it does sell their products, even if it's just another t-shirt. People see the shirt, wonder who it is, find out, listen to the music, then buy or don't. People see the shirt, are reminded of the band, and either buy another CD or don't. Advertising is about exposure, exposing people to a product, even if it's a product they've seen a thousand times. You think McDonald's needs to advertise to let people know they exist? Of course not, but they do need to remind you, entice your senses to a memory, or just pique your interest.

Perhaps you've heard of "branding" in advertising? Ever wondered why that shares the same name as this?
brand.png

DeletedUser28032

You'll have to give me the gist of that one Desi apparently Big Brother won't let me watch it

As for the shirt I fully understand that "Iron Maiden" is a brand name but the T-shirt isn't the Billboard its the product. I am pretty convinced that no one has ever bought an album based on the strength of a T-shirt also as previously mentioned by the time you've bought the shirt the tour is over so as advertising its kind of redundant.
The music industry has changed somewhat since the advent of the internet back in the 70's Led Zeppelin would tour in order to promote their new album whereas these days its the other way around an album is made in order to promote a tour so that the band (Or rather their managment) can sell tickets and merchandise.

DeletedUser

Not sure how this thread got so off track, however, in the music industry most of the money made by a band is from PUBLISHING. Always has been, always will be. Any band that does not have published material just isn't going to make very much money.

DeletedUser28032

Yeah this is one hell of a tangent...anyway yeah your not going to get anywhere without any material but its more focused on live music rather than CD sales

DeletedUser

I'm pretty much sick of this crap... everyone was like "omg he changed the world" , "oh, he was such a good and brillant man". What a load of bull manure.
Having world monopoly in mp3's industry does not mean you changed the world. Neither does making a smart phone or a bigger version of it for that matter. People still die of hunder, poverty still exists(I might say he promoted poverty as the apple products are overpriced), people still start wars, and for some reason or another people are still killed by other people. Though Jobs did allow us to take a ipicture of the the iworld I discribed, upload it to an iclowd and share it with other ipeople. If I'd have to suck up to a tech geek I rather suck up to Bill Gates. And I am not saying that because I use windows but because his contribution to this world is not just giving people a pc.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

it's just media hype, chill.....and I have to wonder if gates' philanthropy is genuine, rather than just for PR benefits.....

DeletedUser

Gates' philanthropy at least exists. Jobs has no history of philanthropic activity.

DeletedUser28032

depends how well you get on with dad, you may well choose not to share the wealth merely as a form of rebellion