The death of Jobs

DeletedUser

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” “Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” - Steve Jobs

I think he said it well here.

DeletedUser1121

Here is a quote he made a while ago that made an impression on me:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because death is very likely the single best invention of life. It is life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

DeletedUser

Everybody has got to die, but I always believed an exception would be made in my case. ~William Saroyan

DeletedUser1121

Here is an article about the death of Dennis Ritchie. I don't expect many of you around here to know him, but imho he had more impact on the use of computers then Steve Jobs did.

http://www.crazyengineers.com/dennis-ritchie-creator-of-c-programming-language-unix-dies-1129/

Not only was he the creator of the programming language C, in inventing that he was the father of all the languages that are based on C (C++, C#, java), which are the most common languages these days to create any kind of program. I bet that on every computer of each user of this forum, you can find numerous stuff that was possible to be made because of the work of this man.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser17649

I wonder if he'd still be alive if he hadn't decided to start with alternative (psuedo) medicine.

DeletedUser1121

Another great computer pioneer died yesterday.

John McCarthy died at the age of 84. He was a true pioneer regarding AI and he created the programming language LISP, which was (on of the) first high level programming language that used common stuff like if-else constructions and symbolic expressions. He was also responsible for thinking out and creating the first multi tasking system and he predicted cloud computing back in the sixties.

Here is a nice article you should read if you are interested in this true visionary.
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2011/10/john-mccarthy-father-of-ai-and-lisp-dies-at-84/

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Everytime I see this title pop up in D&D, I immediately think it's a discussion on unemployment, only to be reminded it's some sort of macabre memorial.

DeletedUser

The death of Steve would not have gotten nearly as much attention....

Fred died a few months back and nobody said anything. Fred was responsible for the graphic that comes up every time your computer is "thinking".

DeletedUser

ah right, let's talk about Fred and unemployment then...

while we're at it, let's talk about my left nipple and how it created GUIs.

DeletedUser1121

The main reason why i posted about the death's of Ritchie and McCarthy was to show that the media exposure for the death of Steve Jobs was just way out of proportion in relationship with what he achieved imho.

DeletedUser

but the public doesn't even know ritchie and mccarthy.....'everybody' knows steve jobs.....:(

DeletedUser

I never met the guy, personally, but I did talk to him on the phone once when he was running NeXT. Anyway, just saying I didn't know the guy and neither did anyone else here. As Desi inferred, just because the media makes hype on someone or something doesn't mean we should baa, ook, and moo right along with them. If we, as the modern world's inhabitants, wish to truly break free from the shackles, we simply "must" think for ourselves and not get drawn into media/politic/corporate hype, media/politic/corporate spin, and media/politic/corporate propaganda.

Seriously, how many of you --- right now --- are proudly wearing (or have in your possession) some sort of advertising and not getting paid for it? Worse, I bet you or your parents purchased that walking billboard you call a t-shirt.

Yesterday I saw this guy wearing a baseball cap with the friggin' WALMART logo proudly displayed. Omg, seriously, I used to tear off the stupid Hanes underwear tags and they one-upped me by friggin' knitting a big, bold "HANES" right across my friggin' crotch!

Crap, I hope the women aren't looking at the friggin' advertising!