Tents

DeletedUser

yes, possibly but the usage of tents would only grant the char 20 pts for a 5 hr rest / sleep and at risk of being mauled by a bear, or a bandit stealing an item, or some ignun scalping you while you sleep...

As opposed to the 3 pts per hr "do nothing" regain... You'd get a small bns of 5 energy points during the same 4 hr rest period....

Imbalanced? I think not...

A rose by any other name, is still a...

DeletedUser

we should open a new thread and have a vote to see who thinks its a good idea

DeletedUser

how would we acquire a tent?
1) gather 10 cotton, & 10 wool and have it created (quest item)
2) have it accessable at a lvl 1 market where it can be purchased for $100
don't forget about cutting trees for the tent poles. then you'd have to figure out how you're going to make the rope, because i haven't seen any cutting hemp jobs. maybe the rope could be cotton, too?

as to the size of the tent, it wouldn't have to be a huge tent, taking 2 men to erect, as zazz sasst has suggested. it could be a little pup tent, just big enough for one man. that would be more practical to carry on the back of your horse, anyway. in most cases, though, i don't recall ever hearing stories of cowboys carrying more than a bedroll which would be laid out at night near the campfire [for protection from predators] and rolled back up just as quickly in the morning.

it's my understanding that only soldiers, prospectors and others planning on extended stays in one locale, would equip themselves with more than that.

DeletedUser

I'm probably missing something here and did start to skim [to protect sanity] when all that animals confusion started but........what is so hard about just going to the nearest hotel? it's not like there are great big wildernesses here.

DeletedUser

great idea. we can have not only one level of tent
1lv tent regains 4 energy
2lv tent regains 5 energy
4lv tent regains 7 energy per hour
i think that shouldnt be over 7.because a tent is not more confortable than hotel.

and the defferent lv tent has defferent risk of being attacked by beast.

DeletedUser

you know how you only get like 3 points of energy per hour and you can only regain energy by going into hotels

it would be cool if you can sleep like wherever you want but you will need to have like a tent or somthing and their are higher risks and not as much energy is regained but i think its a good idea

Awesome Idea!
I was thinking about that kind of thing too.

DeletedUser

great idea. we can have not only one level of tent
1lv tent regains 4 energy
2lv tent regains 5 energy
4lv tent regains 7 energy per hour
i think that shouldnt be over 7.because a tent is not more confortable than hotel.

and the defferent lv tent has defferent risk of being attacked by beast.

I think have different lvls of TENT is lame....

It should be a rare quest item that maya makes for you when you collect 5 cotton and 5 leathers...

Sleeping in a tent WOULD NOT protect you from duels.... But here's the thing: All dueling players would be a citizen of a town and therefor only able to challenge members of other towns; thereby nullifying the effect of the TENT as staying in the janitors closet would heal your energy faster and protect you from being yanked out of bed...

The TENT is really only for the adventuring class character. (but even then they get to sleep in a dormitory for FREE and gain the dueling protection)

The only time A tent would be of any value would be in the early game before any hotels are built! In the extreme sense, say you are searching for those green beads and have to march 10 hrs across the map to a lvl 3 General Store... Sleeping in a tent while so far away from your hometown would only grante you 5 energy per hr... I think it would just be easier to sleep in a janitors closet for $10 and recuperate faster!

DeletedUser1105

Are you just going round putting 'yes' on every idea on the forum? :)

DeletedUser

yes, sdj, I think ohara is doing just that because he doesn't state why he thinks what is a good idea...

Is he for or aginst the Tent?

when w1 was launched i was for the tent... but after playing for a while I do not see any practical purpose for it.

Like I said earlier a Tent would only be beneficial in the early game (before hotels are built)... but if they were implemented then it would imbalance the early game as more active players would use the tent ALL THE TIME....

Don't get me wrong. I'm not out-right dismissing the idea - I just think it needs a practical purpose while keeping the game balanced....

What if the tent Quest was unlocked at player lvl3 (say you need to bring maya 5 cotton and 2 leathers) By the time you get it completed Towns are popping up all over! We could make it a once-time use item. (use it once for a breif 4 hr rest and it gets ripped to shreds by strong winds and a stampede of bovine!) give the tent a resale value of $20....

Is it worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I was thinkin' today how a tent would be good. one use, eh, probably wouldn't be worth it but ifin fer lower lv's ya buy it fer $50 an' it lasts 8 or 10 sleeps an' every sleep ya git 35 - 40 energy in a 6 hr sleep. It would make hotels still worth while 'specially fer higher lv players an' even some lower lv players but help in the rest Dept. I'm in the new world 4 an' movin' west as I work. I plan ta buid a town 'bout mid way. right now there are no towns so restin' is slow unless ya stay by the ghost town ta sleep. A tent would be great fer me. it'd help spread players on a world map faster too.

Logan

DeletedUser1105

But as was mentioned before, there are towns everywhere. It's no hassle to go to a town and stay for $10. Or, be an adventurer and stay for free.

DeletedUser

Logan Sackett was referring to w4 (a new world with only 1 ghost town)

Tents would only be of benefit in new worlds without towns, so buying one at a store would be moot (cuase then there'd be towns to rest at)

No, Tents (if they get used) should be an early quest item (around lvl 5-7). It should be a reward set by either maya or white hawk.

A tent stats would be the following:
maximum sleep: 4 hrs (half that of a Hotel); because you can't to comfortable in an old, musty tent.

Regeneration: 5 pts per hr (for a maximum of 20 energy points)

The one-time use was just an idea - but I'm not too keen on it. However if we gave it a high resale value (say $100) then players would most likely be selling their tents as soon as general stores become available...

DeletedUser

This falls into the category of ideas: 'hey wouldn't it be awesome if everyone was awesome at everything all the time'- Next!

DeletedUser

dont hate to much now, what would you say about a building for town members instead of hotel? i would see no point to it but you know i guess it fits in somewere

DeletedUser

You could make the tent a kind of special one time use emergency item. Say, you go out and do some jobs, that is, when you realize you have no energy left and need just one more quest item to finish whatever, or lost badly in a duel and need a quick health boost. So you use the tent you bought in a general store for a very high price, and sleep in it for two hours, after which you have another 30 energy to use. Eh? :)

Ideally, it would need a low amount of time, give high energy, and offset it with a very high price tag and be one use only. The actual numbers themselves I have no idea what they would be.