Senior citizen euthanasia

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

As our technology have progressed further, so has our quality of life,
our skills in medicine, and the average lifespan increased.

I do not know what kind of society you were born in, but that doesn't really matter.
We bring fewer children to the world and with the increased lifespans the
costs of senior citizens towards family and state soars.

What am I arguing here you might ask?

I'm arguing that we subject our senior citizens to a practice of systematic euthanasia.

DeletedUser

At what age would you suggest that be done?

A specific age would be wrong, as there are those that contribute to society past regular retirement age, thus aiding the greater good.

Idealisticly it ought to be done within the week they retire.
Seing how retirement means they no longer contribute to society.

Personally I think we ought to offer them up to 5 years of retirement to reap the benefits of a life of labour.

DeletedUser

I thought it sounded better with a simple age limit. That would get rid of most of the politicans in the US. I'll have to think on it now. :unsure:

DeletedUser

I thought it sounded better with a simple age limit. That would get rid of most of the politicans in the US. I'll have to think on it now. :unsure:

Well, most politicians are leeches per definition and ought to be executed, but that's another topic for discussion.

DeletedUser

I don't know about that, I think we have the best politicians money can buy!

DeletedUser

It sounds like a good idea now, when you are still young, but when you reach retirement yourself, then it will most defiantly seem like bull to you.

DeletedUser

I guess that depends on your genes, and lifestyle when you're young. Very few of my relatives live to see 70, and it's not very likely that I will either. I've had many friends and relatives who would have preferred euthanasia to the long drawn out death they did have. I don't necessarily believe that everybody should be put down at some point, but I think it sould be an option for those who would prefer it.

DeletedUser

Mhhh, my great-grandfather is 100 years old. He is weak, can't stand up, must use diapers, but otherwise as healty as me, I don't think he has been sick more than 2 times in his life. Still that is no life to live. I would to anything not to live that much. Sometime I think he is cursed. He may outlive some of his children(and it's not like when they have an accident, I mean they could really die or elderness).
No one wants to live like that but I also don't think it's fair to just [kill] people when they become useless. Ok, some people would rather prefer euthanasia than use diapers again and for good reason, but some little voice in my head keeps telling me that it's wrong.

edit:mhhh, I am a bit contradictive. well I won't live that much anyway, my hearth will fail me on the way :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The reason this idea would never come to life is that the people making these calls are quite near to retirement themselves.

DeletedUser8950

It sounds like a good idea now, when you are still young, but when you reach retirement yourself, then it will most defiantly seem like bull to you.
If they were a good citizen who cared about their country, they'd be willing to end their life to help it. Along time ago many people wouldn't even live to 30, people today are incredibly fortunate.

DeletedUser

If they were a good citizen who cared about their country, they'd be willing to end their life to help it. Along time ago many people wouldn't even live to 30, people today are incredibly fortunate.

People don't care about their country. In the end they only care about themselves. And isn't it a bit ironic then that you say that people are incredibly fortunate, if its in everyone's best interest that they would die sooner.

DeletedUser

It is very easy when you are young to think like this. Point is , noone wants to die because life is precious. Yes there are suicides , yes people prefer to quickly end the pain when they are very ill, but to exterminate people when they get old because they dont offer to society is a very very different matter. But to trully undertand this we should try waliking on their shoes.
Who in his right mind would say... Yes now i should die because i don't work:eek:hmy:
They deserve to live in peace their last years and not to be thrown away like garbage. It's simple. Try to be in their place because one day you will.

DeletedUser

Hmm, interesting. And how long have you been using diapers?

Ah,taking things out of context :) . I said he is weak but otherwise healty (ps: in other words every internal organ is perfectly ok)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It's not about being young or old, it's about principle.

The reason this idea would never come to life is that the people making these calls are quite near to retirement themselves.
Irrelevant. If they do not wish to comply they shall.
Serving ones country is not a matter of age, but one of principle.

Exactly!

If you want to keep living, keep working and contributing.

People don't care about their country. In the end they only care about themselves. And isn't it a bit ironic then that you say that people are incredibly fortunate, if its in everyone's best interest that they would die sooner.
Why is that ironic?
It is in everyones bset interrest that they die once they don't contribute.
Hell, we ought to kill off the handicapped as well. They are draining our resources and it's against nature to keep them alive.

It is very easy when you are young to think like this. Point is , noone wants to die because life is precious.
It isn't about age, it's about the principle.
What makes one life more precious than the other?
I say death is precious. Death keeps the cycle going.
Death of the elderly will help us as a society to invest in our future rather than a "dead end".

Yes there are suicides , yes people prefer to quickly end the pain when they are very ill, but to exterminate people when they get old because they dont offer to society is a very very different matter.
Yes, it is different.
If only senior citizens would have the decency to commit suicide we wouldn't be needing to have this discussion!

But to trully undertand this we should try waliking on their shoes.
Who in his right mind would say... Yes now i should die because i don't work:eek:hmy:
Whom in their right mind does not wish to be contributing?
Whom wants to live off others?
A parasite, that's who.

They deserve to live in peace their last years and not to be thrown away like garbage. It's simple. Try to be in their place because one day you will.
I'd give them a maximum of 5 years of "living in peace".
That way they get to enjoy their last 5 years upon retireing from a lifetime of meaningful contribution to society.

DeletedUser1121

What if i made about 10 million dollar before i retired.
I would pay taxes over the interest i would get.
10 million x 5% interest x 50% taxes = 250.000 a year.
I would still be contributing more then i would cost.
Do i keep my right to live?

DeletedUser

What if i made about 10 million dollar before i retired.
I would pay taxes over the interest i would get.
10 million x 5% interest x 50% taxes = 250.000 a year.
I would still be contributing more then i would cost.
Do i keep my right to live?

A valid and interresting point that raises good answers.
I'll have to ponder that some.

On one hand it's about the principle of actively contributing.
On the other hand allowing the rich to live simply because they are rich and in effect bribe the system is wrong on some levels as well.

I'll get back to you on that, and if I forget to do so, do remind me.

DeletedUser8950

People don't seem to realize everything about our way of life, including our population, is unsustainable.
Tough decisions need to be made for the greater good.

DeletedUser

People don't seem to realize everything about our way of life, including our population, is unsustainable.
Tough decisions need to be made for the greater good.

My point exactly.
With that as a premiss I have also formulated some other suggestions I'd like to run by your guys, but first let's keep this debate going.

Status
Not open for further replies.