[SaltineJesus] What the hell is a Quaker?

DeletedUser

Please excuse my strong language in the title, but I think it accurately states the problem many people have had in understanding where I am coming from. It is easier to sympathize with a man's position on a topic when you know where his roots are hidden. In my case that is firmly in Quakerism, something that seems more quickly associated with delicious oatmeal than the spirit.

I will try to make this as concise as possible but it may be a long read. I have provided Cliff's Notes at the bottom.

The term itself, "Quaker," originally began as a jibe at the members of the faith (who, in the United States, typically called themselves the Religious Society of Friends). The jibe came about as outsiders described us as trembling at the word of God. Well, we done took the name and made it our own! :D

Our origins are based in a belief that the individual must experience the Lord directly and transform that experience into action guided by one's own Inner Light. That means that importance generally placed upon religious hierarchy and doctrine (the words of a priest or the good book) takes a back seat to one's own internal moral compass. If I quote the good book it is only because the lesson is still relevant and it is put much more eloquently than I could ever muster.

That's not to say that the priest doesn't know what he's talking about or that the Bible doesn't hold vast amounts of wisdom, but each person must come to their conclusions while being guided by the holy light of love. For this reason, it would be better to call me "Friend" than "Priest" or "Preacher." ;)

While we do not have a set creed, we do have certain "testimonies." These are ideas of spirituality in action that are not static and able to change with the changing needs of the time - nor are they accepted by all Quakers.

In the Union, Quakers are encouraged to SPICE up their lives:
Simplicity
Peace
Integrity
Community
Equality

A deeper discussion of all of these here would take days, so I will spare you all that. Hopefully they are mostly clear.

Living decent, loving lives and doing good works as guided by one's Inner Light (inspired by God) is the aim of Quakers. Not all subscribe to the same ideas (not all are even Christian!) but, in general, this is the idea of the faith. This is why it is not incompatible with science or other religions.

So when I talk of "sin" it is because folks are doing harm to one another. If I talk of "hell" it is a state of being on this plane, not a fiery after-life. All the terms I use for Our Lord refer to this inner moral compass - and when I appear to be a preacher, it is when I am trying to get people to inspect theirs more closely and perhaps tune it up a spell.

I will, of course, be around to answer any and all questions that are relevant.

Cliffs:
In life no true understanding can come through reading someone else's summary.

tl;dr

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Your neglected soul has been telling my otherwise through your love of drink and quickness to anger. Not that I blame you for either, just sayin' that might be things could be better for you.

DeletedUser

Your neglected soul has been telling my otherwise through your love of drink and quickness to anger. Not that I blame you for either, just sayin' that might be things could be better for you.

You made my siggy :)

DeletedUser

What specifically? I didn't intend anything to come off that way, so I apologize.

DeletedUser

Utah will not enter the Union until 1896 and Mormons are quite a different direction in spirituality.

DeletedUser

but you do not realise, my son, i send you there, being the year 1820, as it will take that long for you to set up a proper base camp emphasizing our religion, until the mormons get moved there. you can do this my son, bless ye child.

DeletedUser

The one and only true GOD is Loki. He is a mighty trickster and loves a good joke. If he didn't there wouldn't be humans.
All bow to the mighty joking god.
If your not laughing or making someone else laugh then I'm laughing at you!

DeletedUser

You believe in equality, yet a lot of things you have said before don't quite match.

Also, I only respect the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but I do not worship him as a God.

Could you point out what? If I've been inconsistent I'd like to either clarify or reevaluate my position.

And I was eating breakfast with my friends and family, not going to Utah. (Hilariously, we had oatmeal).

DeletedUser

It had salty sheep's cheese in it, but otherwise just some delicious jam and enough sugar to make a diabetic out of an elephant (God willing, that won't manifest)!

MmmmMMM

DeletedUser

You tend to downplay other's religious beliefs, hate it when others generalize or use prejudice and then do it yourself(hypocrisy, heyo!), look down on others for their morals and interests, and comply to the law and the majority of society's rules.

And stop it with the oatmeal crap.

DeletedUser

@Black Jack: I was already thinking about it (The Dane Cook bit) at the beginning of this thread :p

It was bad when all three of us, my brothers & I, erupted into laughter at a memorial ceremony at a church, during the part where the priest started spouting off about Peace :p

DeletedUser

I don't think I've ever played down anyone else's religious beliefs, just asked them to act more morally with the good of others in mind. I've said that compliance with legislative law when that law is just is a "good thing." If the law is unjust than compliance with it would be immoral. There are no higher laws than that of God's will. When societal laws mesh with those of the Lord then why wouldn't you follow them?

Now, if you're referring to the young man who tried to justify pedophilia, then yes, I look down upon that (and I imagine you do too). How is that hypocritical with what else I've said, though?

DeletedUser

Really? So then forcing religion on others, praying for them against their consent, saying that their interests are sin, and preaching that your Lord and God are above all else aren't downplaying other's beliefs, morals and religion?

The law is unjust in many ways, and sometimes is the complete opposite of what you believe in.

And the pedophilia thing? I applaud him for it. First off, the parents should be blamed for not keeping a tighter leash on their children, especially the ones that let their daughters dress like *****s and their sons with their pants around their knees and tattoos on their asses. Secondly, every person has a voice; if children want to screw up their lives, let them. If they say they are in love, then they are. If they say they're mentally prepared, so be it. Unless they say "no" and have the basic, common knowledge of their actions, it's not rape. I know a lot of minors who have outlived adults in both mind and body, as well as life experience, and can make their own decisions.

Who knows. My ideal of equality may just be a lot more firm than yours, or a lot of others' for that matter. But it's one of the foundations I base my beliefs on.

DeletedUser

Really? So then forcing religion on others, praying for them against their consent, saying that their interests are sin, and preaching that your Lord and God are above all else aren't downplaying other's beliefs, morals and religion?

I doubt you read my first post, but I'll quickly repeat myself here (albeit in other words). When those interests directly harm other people, that is sin (wrong, immoral, unjust). You will find this idea in the vast majority of religious traditions globally so my words are not trying to shut out the beliefs of others. Again, I just use a different vocabulary.

Find me a post of mine that belittles another honest and loving religious tradition and I will eat my Grey Cap.

My Lord and God are metaphors for the universal love that is found in all major world religions, even if they are referred to in other words or have different paths to attainment.

The law is unjust in many ways, and sometimes is the complete opposite of what you believe in.

You are not contradicting me. Reread what I wrote.

IF legislative law reflects Divine law
THEN is ought to be followed

IF legislative law is unjust
THEN that it is one's duty to follow morality and not the law

Better said, an unjust law is not a law at all, regardless of whose signature is on the parchment.

And the pedophilia thing? I applaud him for it. First off, the parents should be blamed for not keeping a tighter leash on their children, especially the ones that let their daughters dress like *****s and their sons with their pants around their knees and tattoos on their asses. Secondly, every person has a voice; if children want to screw up their lives, let them. If they say they are in love, then they are. If they say they're mentally prepared, so be it. Unless they say "no" and have the basic, common knowledge of their actions, it's not rape. I know a lot of minors who have outlived adults in both mind and body, as well as life experience, and can make their own decisions.

So you blame the victim. Rape victims everywhere would like to have a word with you.

I am going to make a guess that you are very near 18 years of age. Is that accurate? And if it is, you've probably had feelings of attraction for someone under 18 years of age? Is that where this rabid defense is coming from?

Can you expect a four year old to make an informed decision about screwing up his or her life? Are the only children that get abused those who, as you so eloquently put it "dress like *****s?"

Do you think that a sexual relationship between a 45 year old man and a 13 year old girl is healthy? Do you think that there is real love there? Do you think they can even hold a conversation over the dinner table? And do you know what kind of psychological effects this has on the child for the rest of her life?

I hope you're not seriously trying to justify this.

Who knows. My ideal of equality may just be a lot more firm than yours, or a lot of others' for that matter. But it's one of the foundations I base my beliefs on.

Where have you shown equality? You talk of statutory rape would seem to suggest you fully support unequal and abusive relationships.