Reiki

DeletedUser

Reiki is a safe and practical treatment, and may be given to children, animals and plants. It is complimentary to all medical practices. Most people experience a deep sense of peace and relaxation during the treatment.

A standard Reiki treatment will take approximately one hour. The client remains clothed at all times, only removing shoes and loosening any tight clothing.

The healing takes the form of the practitioner placing their hands along the body, starting at the head and working along to the feet. Both the front and the back of the body are treated.

DeletedUser

We're supposed to care... why?

Well, I guess that some people call it unethical or cruel because it could be malpracticed and end up as sexual harassment, I guess... Really, what is there to debate?

DeletedUser

I relocated a post made in a different thread. The seeds of the discussion left it open for debate, and I wanted to ensure that if a debate on reiki continued, it would be in its own thread.

DeletedUser

yes we have to go careful as we could end up getting sued for malpractice if we tell a client that there is something wrong with them so we do not say anything medicail or talk about illness to them
and yes we have have to ask the client if we can touch there clothing if they say no then we have to hover our hands over there body as we could get done for sexual harassment that is why there is forms to fill out to cover us and also insurances so its not that easy for any healer when they are helping in hospitals or home and so easy for the client to sue us
but we are here to help those who needs us whether its adults, animals or children
from a broken ankle to cancer and depression we will help those who ask us to heal them
and we dont charge for our services

but some healers do charge a small fee

thread closed

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I was treated by a "reiki master" for a period of 6 months. I experienced absolutely nothing from it. Reiki is belief-based, with absolutely no scientific evidence to substantiate the claims of effectiveness, and there has been substantial research made.

DeletedUser

It is amazing how ones state of mind can affect how they heal. Thats why I never stay sick or injured for very long. I just convince myself I'm fine and walk it off.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
It is amazing how ones state of mind can affect how they heal. Thats why I never stay sick or injured for very long. I just convince myself I'm fine and walk it off.

I feel lucky I understand so much. You don't strictly have to trick yourself, you just have to know it can be done.

DeletedUser

"It never happened" works well!

I stubbed my toe and I just said "It never happened" and it actually worked!

DeletedUser

You don't nesseccarily feel sick, when you are sick. The bacteria and viruses are there, somewhere in your body. They can destroy your body without you noticing it. You don't feel anything, when several cells are destroyed by some viruses. The immune system reacts to these threats by giving warnings, like fever and coughing. You can ignore these warnings, but that also means that you don't really care about your body and its reactions.

And back to reiki: Is it a kind of massage? If it is, it won't heal any sickness. It can only relax the clients, if they feel comfortable with all those touchings.

DeletedUser

I was treated by a "reiki master" for a period of 6 months. I experienced absolutely nothing from it. Reiki is belief-based, with absolutely no scientific evidence to substantiate the claims of effectiveness, and there has been substantial research made.
Can I ask why you continued with it for 6 months?

DeletedUser

Maybe the "reiki master" said that the efects come after six month?

DeletedUser

I did it for 6 months because it was an exchange of services. I taught him conflict resolution / martial arts for 6 months, he treated me with reiki. And if someone wishes to argue he wasn't good, or that he isn't a reiki master, he is a respected elderly reiki practitioner, not some kid off the block. He believes in what he does. The thing is, his belief doesn't translate to my believing. The only beneficial part to it was the occasional massage (i.e., he would alternate between reiki and massage during a session).

DeletedUser

You do martial art? I have been doing a course in that for some years.

DeletedUser

I have some familiarity with Reiki and have experienced some nice results. Reiki isn't belief based, it will work on children, animals and adults. However, if you don't believe it will work, and you feel inwardly adamant about that, that could affect whether it actually helps you. I suppose in that sense, belief could affect it.

Reiki isn't a precise treatment, example, a doctor putting a cast on a broken arm is the appropriate treatment. That is why it is considered a complimentary treatment. However, and there have been studies done, example, that having Reiki treatments following that setting of the arm in the cast have caused a more rapid healing than those not treated with Reiki.

Speaking of belief ~ the placebo effect is wonderful and what on earth is wrong with it if someone is getting better because they believe they are getting better? Take a look at the results of scientific tests, where they say participants who took new mystery drug had xx (ex+50% improved) results and those who took the placebo had results of yy (ex+30% improvement). Initially it looks like hands down, the actual mystery drug takers were 50% improved and placebo's are scoffed at.

However, if the placebo effect affects 30% of folks, then it also affects 30% of the 50% improved group/those taking new mystery drug. Take that out of the equation and those taking new mystery drug really only had a 20% improvement. I may be missing part of the math, it is early morning and only 1/2 cup of coffee so far. The point though, is that of those who seem to have the higher improvement, also have to have the placebo effect taken into account.

If anyone goes 'huh'? I will write this out later when I am nicely awake.

And I am not at all saying that medicine doesn't work. I am saying that allopathic doctors don't have all the answers. We all know that standard medicine doesn't always work either. Just as Reiki may not always work. But for both types of treatment, there is usually some type of effect. There are no side effects of Reiki.

Reiki treatment itself is not massage. However, massage may be incorporated into a Reiki treatment.

A belief can be untrue, however if the believer truly believes it, it is true for them. As in the example of David Schofield and his toe.

DeletedUser

Hey, if you believe to feel good, then you really feel good. That's because you trick the mind to feel so. But what's the matter about it? You feel good and isn't it really important if it is created by a trick on the brain or not?

If some people feel good, when they are being touched everywhere on the body and pay for it. Let them be happy and cheated.
And let us remain entirely informed about this kind of thing and not become tricked by anyone.

DeletedUser

Reiki is a safe and practical treatment, and may be given to children, animals and plants.
It is complimentary to all medical practices. Most people experience a deep sense of peace and relaxation during the treatment.

The healing takes the form of the practitioner placing their hands along the body,
starting at the head and working along to the feet. Both the front and the back of the body are treated.

Scientific evidence, and hold the placebo, please.

I have some familiarity with Reiki and have experienced some nice results.
Reiki isn't belief based, it will work on children, animals and adults.
However, if you don't believe it will work, and you feel inwardly adamant about that,
that could affect whether it actually helps you. I suppose in that sense, belief could affect it.
Wait, what?
It isn't belief besed, but you need to belive it works in order for it to work? hahaha

Reiki isn't a precise treatment, example, a doctor putting a cast on a broken arm is the appropriate treatment.
That is why it is considered a complimentary treatment. However, and there have been studies done, example,
that having Reiki treatments following that setting of the arm in the cast have caused a more rapid healing than those not treated with Reiki.
I'd love to see that study, and it better not be a placebo study.
I could respond with a similar claim;
Praying over a broken limb after it has been fixed and got a cast will speed up
the natural healing through the power of prayer.

Both claims are bullcrap without any scientific backing.

Speaking of belief ~ the placebo effect is wonderful and what on earth is wrong with it if someone is getting better because they believe they are getting better?
I'll tell you what is wrong with that:
Selling a placebo as real treatment will trick people into beliving they are better,
whilst they in fact may be getting worse. Basicly it's a con, wich may have fatal consequence.

Take a look at the results of scientific tests, where they say participants who took new mystery drug had xx (ex+50% improved)
results and those who took the placebo had results of yy (ex+30% improvement). Initially it looks like hands down, the actual mystery drug takers were 50% improved and placebo's are scoffed at.
No-one is disputing the placebo effect, we just don't want you, or any other swindler to sell us a placebo and tell us it is a real treatment.
Sometimes a placebo is just what you need, but you wouldn't substitute anti-biotics for a tic-tac.

We all know that standard medicine doesn't always work either. Just as Reiki may not always work. But for both types of treatment, there is usually some type of effect. There are no side effects of Reiki.
Sure, modern medicine may not cure cancer 10 times out of 10, but compared to reiki,
or any other bs pseudo-treatment, it does actually treat the patient, and give them a chance of survival.

A belief can be untrue, however if the believer truly believes it, it is true for them. As in the example of David Schofield and his toe.
This is nonsense. We may lie to ourself over a number of things, but that doesn't mean the lie turns true.
If you apply this to a more serious ailment, then you get a completely diffrent result.

Why is it that so many feel the need to doubt science, and prefer the smoke and mirrors?

No alternative medicine is worth jack. It doesn't work.
If it did work, it would cease to be alternative, it would simply be medicine.

DeletedUser

John Rose;268175 No alternative medicine is worth jack. It doesn't work. If it [B said:
did[/B] work, it would cease to be alternative, it would simply be medicine.

Thats not entirely true. Thanks to the wonderful fda, only something that comes in pill form that they can profit off of can be considered medicine.

DeletedUser

/quote from John Rose / I'd love to see that study, and it better not be a placebo study.
I could respond with a similar claim;
Praying over a broken limb after it has been fixed and got a cast will speed up
the natural healing through the power of prayer.

Both claims are bullcrap without any scientific backing./end quote

From Tessie Lynn in response ~ First, what constitutes scientific backing? Please define that before I even think of wading through 'net and medical sites looking for studies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessie Lynn
Speaking of belief ~ the placebo effect is wonderful and what on earth is wrong with it if someone is getting better because they believe they are getting better?

/quote I'll tell you what is wrong with that:
Selling a placebo as real treatment will trick people into beliving they are better,
whilst they in fact may be getting worse. Basicly it's a con, wich may have fatal consequence./end quote

From Tessie Lynn in response: I am not talking about selling placebo's. Where did I say that? That is snake oil and reprehensible. A better example than cancer, would be pain in the body such as back pain. Cancer is not 'treated' by Reiki or massage, in fact it is not permitted by ethical practioners.

I am referring to 'scientific, double blind, reproducible studies' and the fact that the results will generally come out with something along the lines of:

50% showed improvement of the test group / 30% of the control group showed improvement 'due to the placebo effect' / 10% showed no difference etc.

I am not quoting a specific study here, just the generalities of the reports of scientific studies.

Apart from that:

What are your thoughts on the placebo effect? What could account for that?

Dang it, I need to learn how to do those pull quotes. Sorry for the running together....

I can give personal examples:

When my son, then around 10, had psoriasis on his feet that was very bad, I took him to medical doctor. We followed the treatment and medicine prescribed for about 6 months. It only got worse. One day in sheer frustration, I asked him if he would like me to do treatment on his feet. He said yes. I worked, with energy healing and prayer (not a dirty word btw) for two 1 hour sessions, morning and evening of that day. The next day there was visible improvement. The third day, it was completely healed with the exception of the very worst patches. By the fifth day, those were gone also.

On my other son, when he was almost 5, he had a chronic cough that wouldn't go away. Again, we had been to doctor, and doctors treatment had no effect. After about two weeks of him waking up coughing, I did basically the same type of treatment. He was coughing when I started. After about half hour of treatment, he was asleep and coughing had stopped. He did not cough in the morning, nor did he ever develop that cough again. Ever. (first son never developed psoriasis again either, for what that is worth)

A thought of a reader might be 'needs a better doctor'. Not the case here, we had tip top doctors.

And a truly personal case: I tried to stop smoking for 3 years over 10 years ago. Profoundly addicted. The epitome of don't quit quitting. I recieved Reiki treatment ONCE. (this was my first experience)

Didn't feel a thing. Woke up the next morning, with no desire for a cigarette and haven't smoked since. Haven't even wanted one. Not even bothered by fleeting thoughts of smoking as many who have successfully quit experience. No problem being in a room full of smokers. (I dont' like the smoke bombardment, but it doesn't make me want one)

So, these are 3 instances of where it had an effect on my life. Are they in a medical journal? Of course not. Do I know what I saw and experienced? Of course.

Tessie Lynn