population control/ over population

DeletedUser

Firstly, HS, why do you seem to think that what humans do is not natural? I have always wondered about people who think that way. It's like, "Nature" includes everything else except humans.
As far as hoarding food, I think that ants do the same thing, and make war, and set up boundaries that they protect from outsiders.
Lastly, I strongly believe that "nature" will ultimately take care of overpopulation. If we overpopulate this planet to the extent that it can no longer support us then we will die and some other species will rise up to be the dominant species. If we, as humans, keep abusing the planet then the planet will kill us but "nature" will continue on.

DeletedUser28032

Well i don't think another creature is liable to rise up and overtake us but i certainly believe that nature will solve our population problems, perhaps a flu pandemic? apparently we're overdue for one

DeletedUser

genetic engineering will ensure our continued dominance.....unless a nuclear war occurs.....

DeletedUser

Personally I think the answer is the final frontier. But with this economy it will take years before we have any sort of sustainable colony on another planet.

DeletedUser

you're forgetting the fact that most of the world's oceans remain unexplored.

DeletedUser

Why pollute our oceans more when you have gigantic unexplored oceans on other planets? But yeah realistically it will be a very long time before we can go to other planets :( I hope that the first generation to have the chance to explore and live on other planets will realize how lucky they are.

DeletedUser

Firstly, HS, why do you seem to think that what humans do is not natural? I have always wondered about people who think that way. It's like, "Nature" includes everything else except humans.
You're kidding me right?
Well i don't think another creature is liable to rise up and overtake us but i certainly believe that nature will solve our population problems, perhaps a flu pandemic? apparently we're overdue for one
Man's intellect has provided us a means to have one-up on natural evolution, via technological evolution, which provides us the ability to technologically evolve ahead of natural evolution (bacteria/viruses excel in natural evolution, particularly due to their short life), at the expense of our own natural evolution.

Also, it's important to understand that viruses/bacteria have a dependency. They cannot effectively replicate if all their hosts die. The most virulent of communicable diseases either lack the ability for widespread infection before killing the host(s) or are excellent at spreading, but not altogether lethal. Having both in the same package is exceedingly unlikely, a sort of evolutionary dead-end design.

And that means, what?

DeletedUser

just pointing out that teh train robber is wrong in assuming space is the final frontier. ;)

DeletedUser

just pointing out that teh train robber is wrong in assuming space is the final frontier. ;)
Space is for all practical purposes for our species infinite. The oceans are not. The oceans might be the penultimate frontier, but they aren't the final frontier. Assuming science doesn't find another frontier centuries from now.

DeletedUser

There are a lot of things we still don't know about....a lot of things....one of those being how to control overpopulation......

DeletedUser

There are a lot of things we still don't know about....a lot of things....one of those being how to control overpopulation......

We don't know how to control overpopulation? I learned how to control it in middle school.

ngbbs49346d2d89c27.jpg

If that doesn't work, there's always...

Soylent%20Green%20Product-%20Our%20Future.jpg

DeletedUser

Honestly I would love to see some population control, of a certain kind. And that can be easily done and would save so much money. For example in the US, as it is now, illegal immigrants can receive support from the state for their children born on US soil, even if the children are 100% foreign. In order for them to keep receiving support, they need to get "cash-paying" jobs, thus not paying taxes. And don't tell me I am exaggerating, because I see them all the time in supermarkets. They pay with food stamps, have a hoard of loud spanish speaking brats, but have more gold bling bling dangling than Snoop Dogg. In the same time, you see citizens struggling with 1-2 children. At this rate, I don't even want to think how the US will look like in a few generations from now.

DeletedUser

A lot of those "spanish speaking brats" grow up to do 90% of the worst paying jobs and do it BETTER than a lot of non spanish speaking brats, who generally sit around and play video games and wouldn't understand an honest days work if their lives depended on it.

Not sure which "population" you want to control but that kind of thinking is kind of along the totally wrong lines.

DeletedUser

Erm, you might want to research a bit before stating what's correct or not. And they get their stamps for their "legal" children born on US soil.

http://ssa.gov/pubs/10101.html

@iggy: sorry, but you are a complete optimist. If that was the case I would not be thinking about population control. They also get help from the housing authority and trust me, they do not keep them in nice neighborhoods. All those kids learn is how to steal, rape and kill. Very few of them are ambitious enough to get out of that lifestyle and have a clean life and future. I stopped watching the news a long time ago, but once in a while I hear about a shooting, a mugging, a break-in and so on. In 99% of the cases, the suspects are described as "hispanic". I don't know how it is where you live, because it is not the same in all US states. But where I live, is pretty bad. Coincidence or not, but here the worst neighborhoods are the ones where the apartment buildings are in which one has to live in order to get help from housing authority.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Umm, Dudue, the children must be legal immigrants to receive the stamps. If the parents aren't legal immigrants, the children will not be legal immigrants unless they have been adopted by a legal immigrant or citizen and the children were processed, through INS, to obtain legal immigration status.

I would say you're making gross racial assumptions.

DeletedUser

Umm, no. They are immediately given citizenship due to being born on US soil. They are called "anchor babies". Here's one interesting article:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/07/eveningnews/main4000401.shtml

From a different source:
Historically, U.S. immigration law considers anyone born in the United States to automatically be the recipient of American citizenship. It is an aspect of immigration law called jus soli, the “right of birthplace,” and has always guaranteed citizenship to those born on U.S. soil. [...] The aspect of immigration law called jus soli becomes controversial when the parents of a child born in this country are here without visas. Nothing in American immigration law has dealt directly with children born under these conditions; therefore, they are presently considered U.S. citizens under that aspect of immigration law.

DeletedUser

Please do not be sorry that I am an optimist.
Also, you may wish to take a look at my name. It may hold a hint as to what kind of communities I have lived in.

So, just to be clear, if we are talking about population control and you only bring up a problem with hispanics......just what exactly are you saying?