Passed Persistent Quests

• Thread starter The Yellow Dart
  • Start date

Would you like to see this idea added to the game?

• Yes

Votes: 71 91.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I think they should just be "quests that you can do again for more rewards". Simple.

It's not really necessary to add time constraints and such, we just want some quests that we can do again.

Oh, I would definitely agree, from the outset. My hope would be that -- over time -- persistent quests would eventually evolve and become more varied (like I implied above). I'm talking a year or more from now, of course...

I agree, Cel. The simpler persistent quests are for now, the more likely they will be implemented, implemented soon, and implemented correctly.

DeletedUser14280

Let's have just simple persistent quests for now.
And we'll have a mix of them later.

DeletedUser

Full backing on this idea.
Just one problem I see. The example you used is 3 smuggled goods for £1400. Now the highest possibilty to recieve that on a job is 22%. So by the time the player has got the needed items, then the reward, after being originally lowered, has increased back to max. Meaning that the deminishing reward doesnt work.
The easiest way to fix this would be to make the time for the reward to increase longer, meaning that people get bored waiting for them to recover.

Perhaps then, rather than the reward haing a 'recovery' time. The rewards you get are on a cycle. So the 2nd time you do the quest the reward is lower and the third time lower again. But after the 4th/5th it goes back to the reward you get the first time of doing the quest?

Also, the quest giver could occasional give you a duel target, somebody who has a slightly higher duelling level (and not a worker :)), which when completed gets you a random item, the higher the your opponants level, the higher value of the item you recieve.

DeletedUser

All valid points. Admittedly, I didn't put any complex mathematics into my examples. If anything, the examples serve as placeholders for more precise formulas and figures to be determined by developers.

DeletedUser

I like the idea of something that makes a persistent quest appear, but do NOT like the idea of on going events that need to happen. I figured the former would give people a reason to spread out and start developing ALL world squares faster, obviously the latter does nothing to help and defeats the purpose of persistent quests.

DeletedUser

I think this sort of addition to the game right now is a must. At higher levels, when the leaderboards are for the most part solidified, the worlds become semi stale. Nothing is happening that is meaningful to the game world.

Incorporating this idea into game play would open the door to a number of avenues that could essentially better facilitate the games immersion value.

It wouldn't require substantial coding to achieve it, not in the likes of Forts per se where they were building something from scratch.

Using PQ's in this manner, the game could bring on titles to reflect a players "involvement" with the world, and have varying titles to correspond to that PQ. For example, doing a PQ that would lend itself to acts of law enforcement type, a player could progress in titles (i.e. Deputy, Deputy Sheriff, Sheriff, Deputy Marshall etc).

Doing one in the outlaw line could earn titles that reflect that line progressively.

You could incorporate a number of different things to reflect different play styles and game personas.

To further that, and add more diversity, and reasons to come back and "continue clicking" is that achieving variable degrees in such lines could offer exclusive items that give benefits. Some items, some sets.

Now, instead of having a dueler, you can have that stage coach robber by title, earn gear that is tailored to it, and achieve it through the means of PQs.

This is the formula most all MMO's have adapted. This game needs one thing for sure, and that is better immersive qualities for late level gameplay. I see this as a definite path that could open a lot of doorways to keep people with the game.

DeletedUser

I would love to see more quests.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think this is a great idea. The more quests the better, especially for "The West" addicts like myself. It tends to get a bit boring once you reach level 52 and you have defeated Mugridge, it becomes a very long haul to level 67 when the next quest starts.:indian:

DeletedUser5046

you only have ten quest slots for quests...how about additional 2 ques logs specially for PQs

DeletedUser14280

Interesting...
But maybe three slots?
You might well have a whle bunch of persistent quests going on at once.

DeletedUser5046

but you know you will need a lot more for forts than quests....

i am all for forts right now so i think two is enough

HOW ABOUT FINDING a certain PLAYER ??? maybe tat'll will take time but who knows...a bigger exp is worth it :D

DeletedUser14280

What? Persistent quests that require you to find random players?

DeletedUser5046

What? Persistent quests that require you to find random players?

yes... but gaining a better amount of exp...ntm you have to duel them .... i mean tis will put lazy duelers *like me* into action.. win or lost you will exp.

DeletedUser14280

Ooh! That sounds good!
Except...why would you gain exp for losing?
Maybe you could be able to duel them repeatedly like an NPC, instead?

DeletedUser5046

players go to a lot of places....NPCs dont... beside already had fun wit at one why come back?

DeletedUser

i like the idea of having to duel somebody as part of a persistant quest.

DeletedUser17208

100% fully support this. There is too large a gap between finishing character specific quests (~level 50 for most people) and the level 67 quest series. There needs to be some end game content to keep people active and playing. Keeping in mind that a good percentage of people at these higher levels are your "repeat" customers for premiums.

DeletedUser

100% correct. That was my primary purpose for sitting down and typing this out, Gurthangor. I wanted to provide a portal -- or a framework, if you will -- for a myriad of new quests. Each quest could be released randomly or as part of planned build revisions. Some could be secret, while some could help commemorate certain holidays or historical events/battles. The scope, depth and "persistence" of these quests could be determined on a quest-by-quest basis, allowing for a massively dynamic player experience. By the time you "master" one chain of persistent quests and have tired of its rewards, another quest has arrived to pique your interest -- but first you have to complete a series of objectives to unlock it!

This -- especially when layered atop existing/already-planned features -- makes The West more than just an MMO. Mechanics like the one I've proposed are what made WOW a world-wide phenomenon almost overnight. Immersion is the name of the game. The net is heavy with the stink of MMO's breeding and mutating, replicating and recycling themselves. If The West hopes to stay ahead of the curve, quests with dynamic choices, multiple paths and repeatable objectives are a MUST.

Status
Not open for further replies.