Operation: Warden

DeletedUser

"Lieutenant Dan will tell you all you need to know of the ship. Now, if you'll excuse me...I am a married man and have certain husbandly responsibilities." Hayes smiled at the Wardens walking to the airlock and opening it "Like fixing the Her's Sink in our bathroom." He closed the airlock behind him, hurrying out of the dry dock. He was always worried someone was going to open it while he was inside.

A look of mischief came across Lieutenant Dan's face, when he caught a look exchanged between his new Co Pilot and Jacquen. He didn't say anything, but he had to hold back a smile and quick remark, his eyes darting between the two a couple of times. Once the urge to make a funny, or crude remark had passed, Dan went over and took Walker by the shoulder "Come with me, my friend, I think you'll like the big pew pewers we have attached to this thing!"

Lieutenant Dan sat down in his chair on the bridge and pointed out the chair that the ship's weapons tech would sit in. As of now, there was no Weapons Officer "So, Old Man, do you know how to operate these kind of guns? I sure don't, not unless they have a dummy switch now."

Standing across the room from Rolf, Jack nodded in agreement "I say we go. The ship is ready, the crew is aboard. It's time to head to Nova."

DeletedUser31931

Walking into the ship Frank recalled everything he could of spaceships, piloting them hadn't been his strong point but weaponry however... He heard Dan saying he didn't understand how to operate the guns. "I should" Frank said speaking up. "They covered them in the standard special soldier course, and the officers course which I passed but never got the promotion. Anyway, that doesn't matter. What does is that I can operate them and if I can't I'll know how to by the time we reach Nova. On an unrelated point, I agree with jack, there is no point in us waiting around now, seeing as we have everything we need on-board. Let's get this baby off the ground and get ourselves to Nova!"

DeletedUser

Tom followed Lieutenant Dan onto the bridge, where Dan pointed out the weapons chair, at which point Frank sauntered up and proclaimed that he knew how to use them.
Tom spoke up; "I don't know how to use them, but I'm sure sure I will learn." He said, it would be better if two crewmembers could operate the guns, that way if one of them was incapacitated then the other could still fight.
As both Frank, Rolf and Jack said that they should head straight for Nova, Tom nodded in agreement before turning towards his small personal cabin so he could store his equipment.

DeletedUser31931

As Tom said he would learn how use the guns and turned off Frank made a mental note to have a talk with him once he'd acclimatized with the weapons, just give him a quick run over. Sliding into the weapons officers chair he began to examine the weaponry available on the ship. It was armed for light dog-fights, with a rotating laser turret on either side and several anti-aircraft missiles, however, it had been failed to equip with sufficient aerial bombardment, more of a fast scout ship than a heavy battle-cruiser. Hopefully they wouldn't end up in a fight with a well equipped ship or it would end off badly for them. He didn't really interact with the rest of the crew as he flicked through manuals and other things about the specifications of the ship on his ED, immersing himself in his work until the jump into Relay was made. Then, sliding out of the chair he straightened himself taking all his stuff to one of the empty cabins and making himself a bit more at home before he set off into the ship in search of Tom.

DeletedUser

Tom opened the door to his small cabin, which was no more than eight feet by seven feet.
A bunk stood to Tom's left, whilst the personal hygeine unit stood on his right.
He put his bag down by the wall, climbed up into his bunk and opened the FSD that hung over the bed.
Once it was loaded, he cycled through the menus, until he eventually found a manual about the use of the weapons.
Downloading it to his EC, Tom shut down the FSD and began to sift through the data inside his head, acclimatizing himself with the equipment.

DeletedUser31931

Having found Tom's cabin (by asking Viki) Frank knocked on the door and said "It's Frank. Can I talk to you?" and he hovered outside the door awaiting for a reply.

DeletedUser28032

As Lieutenant Dan went about demonstrating the weapons system to Frank and Tom; the ships skeleton crew lacking a weapons officer, Jacquen moved over to where the Selune was currently checking the ships systems in order to make ready for the Wardens maiden journey "Its good to see another nightworlder...this one is called Jacquen Vhassa" he said for his opening gambit as she continued to scan the multiple LCD displays as they scrolled through an endless array of information ranging from flight co-ordinates to engine core temperatures and life support systems reminding Jacquen how little he truly knew about spacecraft and their operation.
Momentarily turning her attention away from the displays before her she briefly regarded the Sicariun before speaking in accented English her eyes returning to screens once again "A pleasure to meet you, I am navigation off...former navigation officer..." the long name beginning with S that followed caused Jacquen to silently panic as it rolled off of her tongue in an accent not too dissimilar to that of an Eastern European human, the number of vowels alone making it near impossible for him to pronounce without making himself appear foolish. Seeing the worried look on his face a smile appears as she quietly chuckles at his discomfort “Don’t worry nobody else can say my name either so they just call me Sally” Jacquen nods in understanding as relief washes over him “This one see’s you Sally”
“I…I don’t want to seem rude but…I have a lot of work to do and if I get one of these numbers wrong we’re liable to crash into a sun” looking at her perfectly deadpan face he struggles for several moments to decide whether or not she was joking before simply nodding mutely like an idiot “ok…I’ll see you later?”
Receiving only a brief smile in response Jacquen moves away from where Sally was sat to where Jack and Rolf were stood with Trace “Perhaps these ones should start work on a plan? There is a galley just down here” Jacquen suggested pointing down a short corridor not wanting to get in the way whilst the crew got the ship ready, a ferocious yet entirely friendly grin spreading across his face as he joked “This one has had many idea’s from watching your Earth movies”

DeletedUser

Tom heard Frank's voice from outside his cabin.
Switching off his EC, Tom jumped out of his bunk onto the cold hard floor.
Moving over to the door, he switched off the lock, after he pressed the relevant keys, it hissed open, revealing Frank.
"Yeah sure." Tom replied, standing aside to let the other soldier squeeze inside the small room.

DeletedUser31931

As Frank squeezed into the small room he began to speak to Tom "Hey. I'm guessing you've just read through the weapons manual and the other stuff about the on-board weapons systems. If so do you want to head down with me and agree on some stuff since from what I can gather to put it to optimal use we need two men operating." and he stood there awkwardly cramped in this small space with Tom and awaited a reply.

DeletedUser

Tom listened to Frank, before responding; "Yeah sure. I think I've got it worked out."
He squeezed past Frank and out of the door, before motioning his comrade to do the same, once Frank was out of his cabin, Tom closed and locked the door behind him.
"Come on, let's head to the weapons console." Said Tom, before turning and moving through the ship.
As he walked down the narrow corridors, he asked a question; "So what stuff exactly do you think we need to agree on?"

DeletedUser31931

Frank squeezed out of the room and followed Tom down the hall. "Well, we need to decide on who'll take the main console and who will take the bombing and artillery although there isn't much of that, also we need a third man chosen to operate the revolving turret. Also, I just thought it'd be a good opportunity to go over everything. Some of these weapons I've used in simulators before, I've only ever been in one space battle, don't want to go there again in a hurry. What's your experience of space fighting? Not that common these days unless you're defending pirate attacks as we were." He replied to Tom in an almost off-hand and he strolled on awaiting a response.

DeletedUser13682

Rolf smiled at the crew. Maybe this mission to Nova would help get his mind off of his new found personal problems. “Alright, I’m glad to hear that. Let’s go.” He shrugged internally at Trace’s comment, but if the Kriken culture said that Rolf was still Trace’s CO, then he guessed he was. As the ship took off, and exited Eores Prime, Rolf looked out the window for one final look at the space station. It was still shining in the sun, but Rolf saw now that the slave labour they were trying to stop had built the place, and to him there was a dullness to it that not even the hardest scrubbing could take away.

They were still in normal space, the proper calculations for their destination being handled by the copilot, a Selune by the looks of it. As Rolf walked over to the mess area, Jacquen came over, and explained that he had plans to watch Earth movies. “Glad to hear that, Jacquen,” Rolf replied. “May I suggest an ancient film called Star Wars? It’s extremely unrealistic, but if it wasn’t for that film, we may not be here right now. In space that is. Much of humanity’s space endeavours are based off of what was seen in Star Wars. Eroes Prime, that reminds me of the Death Star.”

Rolf headed to the mess area with that comment hanging in the air. Maybe it would convince Jacquen to watch the film, if he needed convincing. Upon entering the preparation area, Rolf looked for supplies. The cabinets and cold storage were well stocked, with varied ingredients from different worlds and cultures. Rolf didn’t know how he would use many of the ingredients, but he knew about some of them. Rolf flipped on the intercom, and announced to the ship, “If anybody’s hungry, I’ll be making some döner kebabs. They’ll be ready in 20 minutes.” Rolf got out the needed supplies for the döner kebabs, and began making them, while waiting for the jump to hyperspace.

DeletedUser

"What's your experience of space fighting? Not that common these days unless you're defending pirate attacks as we were." Frank asked.
"I haven't got much experience in space battles, but I did serve as a security officer on various trading ships for a few years before I joined the PCC, and in that time I've fired a few warning shots at pirate skiffs and stuff, but nothing serious." He replied.
Soon they were at the weapons console that Lieutenant Dan had showed him earlier.
Tom sat down in the weapons chair and switched on the console to check it was working fine.
Turning back to Frank, he spoke up; "So, do you wanna take the main console and the heavy weapons? I should be fine with the turret."

DeletedUser31931

"So, do you wanna take the main console and the heavy weapons? I should be fine with the turret."
Frank pondered for half a second before he replied "Sure. If you're happy with that, which you are otherwise you wouldn't have suggested it, then I'd love to." Plugging his EC into a data download port he got the ship's weapon diagnostics, fully loaded and battle ready. "If it's space combat then I think we have a good chance of winning, after all this ship is a beauty, all that remains is to pick a second gunner for the other turret. I would say Jacquen, the controls are simple enough for even someone with no experience of space combat to use and he has the best reactions, in battle if Trace could handle watching for enemy ships. Do you agree? If so I'll go ask Trace if he would agree to do that, I don't think Jacquen will have any objections to manning a turret against the enemy." Frank said with a smile, "As a matter of fact, if we don't let him have a go at them he might be quite offended." the last part was said as Frank chuckled at his own joke.

DeletedUser28032

Upon hearing his former CO's response to his attempt at a joke Jacquen somehow got the impression that he hadn't quite gotten the Earth humour right as he took a seat at one of the tables bolted to the floor and nodded his head in agreement to the mention of food.
Drumming his fingers against the table top for several moments he decides to voice the idea he'd had floating in his mind to Rolf and Jack as they sat within the mess "This one has been thinking....what if these ones were to find Adaris' manager and have him remove the money...we could rob the bank without even firing a shot" he was sure there was something he was missing but if they could find out the managers identity and where he lived then they could coerce him into removing the money for them.
After voicing these thoughts to the others Jacquen leant back against the hard backed chair before asking "What do these ones think?"

DeletedUser

"Yeah sure, you go ask Jacquen and Trace if they want to do it." Tom replied to Frank.
At this point Rolf made his announcement that kebabs were being made in the galley.
He could do with something to eat, Tom thought. He hadn't eaten since last night, a kebab would be perfect.
Tom moved into the mess just in time to hear Jacquen's proposal, the old sergeant began to respond as he picked up a kebab and sat down.
"I think that could work. Do we know who Adaris' manager is? And where he resides?"

DeletedUser31931

Frank watched as Tom left and stood up. Once he had organised things with Trace he'd have to find a moment to speak to Dan, privately. However, for now he had to focus on the matter at hand. Moving off from the weapons panel having shut it all down he knocked on Traces door and awaited a response from within.

DeletedUser28032

The entire ship shook with the reverberations of the reverse thrusters as it slowly began its descent to the planets surface kicking up a thick maelstrom of dust and debris before finally setting down upon the landing platform.
Located on the outskirts of town the platform was seldom used and in serious disrepair causing Dan and Sally to wonder whether or not their beloved ship would be safe upon the worn and crumbling concrete as half a dozen or so men and women in dirty blue coveralls dashed out to service the ship and see if they could ply any of the crew with the contraband they sold on the side.

Slipping the final cartridge into the breach of his shotgun Jacquen slowly made his way towards the access ramp before slipping the heavily modified weapon into a satchel hung about his shoulder. From what little he had learnt about the planet Jacquen figured that some form of firearm would be necessary however knowing that to walk into the city in full battle gear would attract too much unwanted attention had opted for the shotgun hidden in amongst civilian attire.
Despite the contacts he wore he found himself momentarily dazzled by the bright sunlight pouring through the open hatch before him, the sound of Dan's voice as he shouted orders to the ground crew echoing around the walled courtyard in which they had landed as the pilot tried to organise some semblance of order about the place.
Feeling a hand upon his arm Jacquen snarls at the technician who quickly flinches away from the razor sharp teeth deciding to try his luck at selling narcotics to one of the others leaving the fearsome nightworlder to walk unmolested to the observation platform built upon the north eastern corner of the landing platform.
The unpainted steel structure despite being heavily corroded felt sturdy to Jacquen as he climbed the stairs, unlike the crumbling concrete walls that made up the rest of the courtyard and from what he could see much of the district in which they had landed. It didn't take a genius to work out that this was the old part of town, the gleaming towers of glass and steel rising up in the distance about the pyramid shaped bank from which they were to steal a slave trader’s money.

DeletedUser

Tom checked that he had his pistol holstered before putting on a long dark blue military overcoat, making sure it hid his battlesuit beneath, slipping the transparent comms unit into his right ear he picked up the holdall containing his helmet and laser rifle.
Now ready, he followed Jacquen down the ramp and into the courtyard.
He looked around the courtyard at the various technicians and civilians that ambled around, the advanced cameras in his shades transmitting footage back to the ship.
Moving quickly, he followed Jacquen up the rusting metal stairs onto the platform, looking out at the giant glass pyramid bank they were about to rob.
"Remind me, what are we about to do?" He muttered to the nightworlder.

DeletedUser28032

"These ones are about to kidnap the head of a criminal run bank in order to steal funds from an extremely dangerous slave trader...nothing to be overly concerned about to be honest" Jacquen stated in a dead pan voice as Tom; dressed in a dark blue trench coat and carrying a duffel bag came to stand beside him, making it difficult for the human to tell whether or not the Sicariun was joking or not.
Judging from the sun it was still early morning casting much of the surrounding buildings in shadow, buildings that as far as Jacquen could tell stretched as far as the eye could see and in varying degrees of decay. Had it not been for the planetary survey report they had received back upon the Warden it would have near impossible to tell that this particular part of Nova was a temperate zone not too dissimilar to that of northern Europe in climate and fauna.
Turning away from the cityscape before him Jacquen slowly begins to descend the tower's steps speaking as much to himself as to Tom as he went "Once the others have assembled these ones will have to recon the bank and surrounding buildings, mark any weak points and if possible locate the manager and his place of residence" not an easy task but they were well trained and for as far as he could tell nobody would be looking for them so security wouldn't be a major concern just yet "...Once these ones have gathered enough data these ones then must locate and acquire the equipment needed within the city" again not an easy task but Jacquen figured that a planet such as this would have more than a few black markets and so long as they didn't require anything overly exotic finding what they needed wouldn't be a problem.
Reaching the bottom of the stairs he pauses once again to watch as the scurrying technicians set about servicing the ship; preparing it for a quick get away should they find the need to do so "...once these aims have been achieved...we strike"