Oil Spill

• Thread starter DeletedUser20269
  • Start date

DeletedUser

My opinion? BP's fault. Government not helping much.

The difference between this so-called "Obama's Katrina" and the real Katrina is that Bush had offered assistance to Louisiana and the state governments turned it down. Now, states are asking for "stuff" and the federal government won't give it to them.

Let's see... which is probably worse for the environment: artificial islands that will change currents, or oil that kills plants and animals directly?

Anyways, my only annoyance with Obama's reaction is that he is.... sitting.... idle.... This is one of the few scenarios where the government SHOULD do something, and something productive. Closing down oil wells will only cause even more economic problems.

On that note, has ANYBODY heard about the Tennessean flooding?

DeletedUser

Oil is never running out completely, people are always making millions by discovering random spots we never knew existed. Also, nobody has ever tried to drill Antarctica..
“ All the easy oil and gas in the world has pretty much been found. Now comes the harder work in finding and producing oil from more challenging environments and work areas. ”
— William J. Cummings, Exxon-Mobil company spokesman, December 2005[40]
“ It is pretty clear that there is not much chance of finding any significant quantity of new cheap oil. Any new or unconventional oil is going to be expensive. ”
— Lord Ron Oxburgh, a former chairman of Shell, October 2008[41]

DeletedUser

Eh, you never know.

Now, here's something to consider: even though it probably doesn't make up for our rate of consumption, new oil is produced every day.

Millions of years ago, a dinosaur died. Millions of years later (today) it became oil.
Well, a dinosaur died the next day. So the day after today it will be oil.

DeletedUser21689

BP was a British owned company however it isn't anymore, its a private company and has been for ages. If i went to KFC and got food poisoning i wouldn't then sue Kentucky.

DeletedUser

BP was a British owned company however it isn't anymore, its a private company and has been for ages. If i went to KFC and got food poisoning i wouldn't then sue Kentucky.
Well that's a silly comparative, nobody is suing Britain, nor is anyone blaming Britain. Instead they're blaming (and suing) the two companies responsible for this whole scene, one of which is BP.

My question to you would be, "are you arguing that BP is part of Britain, and thus suing BP is suing Britain? Because if that is not what you're arguing, then what the hell are you rambling about?"

But anyway, BP is headquartered in London, U.K. and is thus incorporated in the U.K.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser21689

That is true the BP company HQ is in britain. I'm on about stupid Americans burning the union flag and blaming Britain. I know there are plenty of stupid Britians around however it needs to be made plain to those people that the UK isn't at fault.

DeletedUser9470

BP has nothing to fear as a company, they are insured up to their eyeballs and are backed up by other huge companies and gvts...

My bet is that they buy back all of their shares as soon as the leak is fixed and make themselves a huge profit this year.

about the dead seagulls? well im sure America and Obama wouldnt care less, 1st sign the Kyoto treaty and then we can talk.

I remember not that long ago the exxon valdez and when I looked it up i was amazed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills
>>> Not only are USA culprits for over 50% of spills, some are still ongoing!

And for the record: Lakeview Gusher:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeview_Gusher
>>> Pressure blew at least part of the casing out, along with an estimated 9 million barrels (1.4×10^6 m3) of oil, before the gusher was brought under control 18 months later!

BP have a lot of time before getting anywhere close to that.

The risks of deep sea oil drilling are very high.
If you all still want to drive around in your massive pickups then you will have to put up with a few seaugulls dying.

And for a laugh:

If you arent driving one of these:
g-whizz-car_415x275.jpg
then you cannot complain!

If you are then you have the right to complain and that is totally understandable.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I don't give a crap where BP is headquartered. This isn't a Great Britain vs US debate. Its greedy big business vs humanity. Big business across the globe constantly throws humanity under the bus for the bottom line. They control governments with lobbyists and election contributions. Officials may be elected by their citizens, but don't be fooled their loyalty lies with their contributers.

Its not just the oil industry, its ALL big business. The pharmaceutical industry isn't interested in the cures, disease management is where the money lies. The garment industry would rather outsource to countries with child labor rather than pay an adult a decent wage. What about war, who profits? humanity? I think not.

My point it, everything wrong in the world has a money trail leading back to big business and most of the world believes or wants to believe the 24/7 propaganda spewed by local networks or officials. As our planet is laid to waste, our focus is on blame instead of the solutions. Simply because solutions takes effort and money.

I live in Florida. The wetlands and reefs are beautiful places I will sorely miss, but I consider myself lucky to have ever experienced them at all. Future generations may not be so lucky. I guess we can tell them someone else is to blame while we stand by our government and big businesses unconditionally. Yeah, that'll make everything alright.

DeletedUser9470

awesome points, clearly expressed and summarised.
is there any way we can sort these problems out fo future generations?
i think not. money will rule forever.