my school is sexist!

DeletedUser

My school is so sexist. Before 8:00 when school starts we have "bus room" which is where we sit on the mechincal pull-out bleachers in the gym. The coach watches over everything and his rule is that once you pick a seat you can not move to another. A few days ago a guy got up and moved to a different seat. The coach called him from the bleachers and started yelling at him and then made him sit by himself up against the wall in the gym. Today, two girls moved to another seat an all he did is say go back, he didn't yell at them, or do anything.
Is that sexist or not?
I think it is and it is not right to give someone a warning just becuase they are a girl and my principle is like that too

DeletedUser

I don't believe that is grounds for sexism

For one, "my school is sexist" ionfers that the institution is sexist, while in your example, only a single member is presented (and the principle is also mentioned). Anyways a variety of factors could be played ... perhaps the coach hadn't had a good morning when eh yelled at the boy. Also boys and girls should not be treated exactly the same ... because they aren't exactly the same. Perhaps the coach felt that yelling at the girls would do more damage than yelling at the guy.

Schools aren't fair. If you learn anything in school, learn that. I view them as little fuedal kingdoms run by the principal and a few key people (ie athletics department, resource officer)

EDIT: The "Bus Room" thing sounds illy. Why does your school do that?

DeletedUser

becuase where else would people go to during the the 20 minutes before school starts?

DeletedUser

Are you in HS or Middle school? At my HS we had a courtyard, or actually a courtyard and mini courtyard. Though I guess in my middle school we had to stay inside ... but we just stayed in lunchroom/cafeteria till class started.

DeletedUser

We just stood on the corner outside school and smoked cigarettes. Lol. Quit being a pansy.

DeletedUser

My school is so sexist. Before 8:00 when school starts we have "bus room" which is where we sit on the mechincal pull-out bleachers in the gym. The coach watches over everything and his rule is that once you pick a seat you can not move to another. A few days ago a guy got up and moved to a different seat. The coach called him from the bleachers and started yelling at him and then made him sit by himself up against the wall in the gym. Today, two girls moved to another seat an all he did is say go back, he didn't yell at them, or do anything.
Is that sexist or not?
I think it is and it is not right to give someone a warning just becuase they are a girl and my principle is like that too

Completely! People in the South USA (or as many of my classmates fancy themselves, the CSA) are overprotective of girls. At my school, there was a classmate who slapped a girl who was annoying him (like intentionally bugging him). He got a meeting between the principal and his parents, several days ISS, and similar punishments. I think he deserved some of it, but not that much, and two boys got in a fight one year (beating each over) and they got in less trouble. Sexists these days tend to be feminists, not male-centric.

DeletedUser

No, I think he should have been paddled (he CERTAINLY deserved that, at least), but my point was that he got in less trouble than these boys who were beating up each over (not sure what the deal was there; I don't know if they were both aggressors or if one of them was defending himself). Here's another example: a third-grader tried to STRANGLE another boy in my mother's second-grade class. This child is obviously a nutbag, and he gets away with no punishment whatsoever.

DeletedUser

I Think Most Schools Are Sexist. Mine Certainly Is.

The Other Day we had a quiz in english :Boys vs Girls.

Guess who won that one!

It was actually insane. The Boys Answered a question with "They are compared to bugs" And the teacher said " No, It was more like flying insects":huh:

However when the girls answered " Because it sort of ... Is It." The teacher said "Thats right, It Embodies It"

I Love it when things are fair

Btw i am a boy incase you couldnt tell

DeletedUser

You boys sure are crying like girls.

2nd it.

Don't worry guys (and gals) just deal with it. There is discrimination in the world. Also, about paddling, that is something I am glad was taken out of schools.

DeletedUser

I don't know that entire schools are sexist but during my school years I saw a good bit of leniency toward the girls. Girls were assumed to be physically weak which meant they could refuse to participate in Gym class but still manage an 'A'.

Jocks (usually male) were given leniency in English and Math classes while non-athletic students were graded with more harshness.

I always thought it was ridiculous both ways and felt that it stole a valuable lesson from the kids involved: that male or female you will be expected to do your job 100% and your gender will not matter to your employer (unless, perhaps, he's a womanizer).

DeletedUser

lol
i have to go to school at 12:45 PM
I cant have a nap after lunch :sad:

DeletedUser

Completely! People in the South USA (or as many of my classmates fancy themselves, the CSA) are overprotective of girls. At my school, there was a classmate who slapped a girl who was annoying him (like intentionally bugging him).

A redneck in the making no doubt. Next stop the clan! :laugh:

DeletedUser

becuase where else would people go to during the the 20 minutes before school starts?
somewhere other than the bus room? You do realize you have choices right? You don't have to be on school property before school starts. That they put you all in a room, before school even starts, is actually not within their authority to do, but they're doing it because nobody stops them.

Anyway, the manner in which someone responds to the actions of a person is not a measure of sexism. There may be other reasons why that coach got rough with that kid (although, in my opinion, he should not have raised his voice under any circumstance).

As to this issue about a guy slapping a girl, he deserved heavy penalty, not merely because he was struck someone without just cause, struck with the knowledge he could win the conflict, but also that striking a girl can result in a school riot. Yes, it can, as it happened in the school I was in back in the day. A guy fighting a guy is a mutual confrontation, of which both students should get in trouble. In such cases, nobody is willing to fess up to the conflict, but in the case of the girl being hit, i'm sure the girl was more than willing to testify.

Let's get this straight - striking someone is a criminal action.

As to all this "girls get it easy, guys don't" stuff, I think each of them has it hard in their own respective ways. Instead of crying about how the world is against you, make of it as you will and succeed despite the obstacles, real or perceived.

I will say one thing more: If you "assume" it is sexist, before considering all the other possibilities, then it is you that is being sexist.

DeletedUser

As to this issue about a guy slapping a girl, he deserved heavy penalty, not merely because he was struck someone without just cause, struck with the knowledge he could win the conflict, but also that striking a girl can result in a school riot. Yes, it can, as it happened in the school I was in back in the day. A guy fighting a guy is a mutual confrontation, of which both students should get in trouble. In such cases, nobody is willing to fess up to the conflict, but in the case of the girl being hit, i'm sure the girl was more than willing to testify.

A guy fighting a guy is a mutual confrontation? Woah. Nice generalization there, Hell!

That's exactly the kind of sexist prejudice which got this therad started in the first place. Just because two people are in a confrontation, it doesn't mean that it's mutual. What if a bigger boy had picked on a smaller boy? I'm fairly sure that the smaller kid wouldn't have chosen that fight but if he'd tried to defend himself, he'd be in trouble for it - and in your words, he'd have deserved it.

I'm sure you didn't really mean to encompass a situation like that but that you did is somewhat indicative of the attitudes towards boys and girls and the assumptions that are made purely on the basis of sex.

DeletedUser

Taken out of context from what I was responding to Bev. the poster said a guy (assailant) struck a girl (defendant). He compared that against a guy (assailant) fighting with a guy (assailant). In the first, the girl did not fight back, in the latter, it was mutual in that both parties were committing battery. As you well recall, most fights in schools are mutual, in that both parties participate in the fight. If one were to defend themselves from the other, battery will still occur from both parties and the law won't differentiate without corroborating witnesses. I.e., credible witnesses would need to corroborate whatever claim is being made by the defendant. In the former example, there is no question as to who committed the battery (assailant) and who was attacked (defendant).

Still, you are correct that I should have provided better clarity in my earlier words. I guess I made the mistake of assuming nobody would twist the intent of my words. I also want to add that girls are genetically weaker than guys and, as such, a confrontation between a guy and a girl is assumed to be a bullying incident. Last, in the instance of a guy attacking a girl in school, this demonstrates a bad behavior that, in later stages in life, when the guy grows up, could result in violence against a woman, a furtherance of bullying behavior into adulthood, and an already prevalent social problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Actually, I wasn't taking it out of context. This is what you were responding to, right?

No, I think he should have been paddled (he CERTAINLY deserved that, at least), but my point was that he got in less trouble than these boys who were beating up each over (not sure what the deal was there; I don't know if they were both aggressors or if one of them was defending himself). Here's another example: a third-grader tried to STRANGLE another boy in my mother's second-grade class. This child is obviously a nutbag, and he gets away with no punishment whatsoever.

Thomas himself made the point that one of them may have been just defending themselves but you made the assumption that, because they were boys, they must have been mutually confrontational. I'm not twisting your anyone's words here.

Hellstromm said:
I also want to add that girls are genetically weaker than guys and, as such, a confrontation between a guy and a girl is assumed to be a bullying incident.

Girls are genetically weaker? Well, sure, if you play the game of averages. That doesn't mean, however, that every girl is weaker than every guy. Some girls are stronger than some guys - particularly in a school environment where children of a range of stages of physical development are brought together.

The point we should be making is that bullying is not acceptable, that violence is not acceptable. When we say "It's not ok for a boy to hit a girl" we're implying that it's more acceptable, even ok, for a boy to hit a boy or girl to hit a girl. It's inherently sexist - it is a prejudicial statement on a situation, based purely on gender, without any consideration of the circumstances.

DeletedUser

In schools, where children have not yet developed, it is more important to instill ideals and habits that are beneficial to their future, in functioning within society. So yes, it's important to instill in them that bullying is not acceptable, that violence is not acceptable, but also that striking a woman is not acceptable, primarily because women, as adults, are not merely weaker on average, but significantly weaker on average despite there being larger in size, and because women are capable of holding life within them, which means striking a pregnant woman endangers the life of an unborn child. It is not obvious when a woman is pregnant, except during the last stages of their pregnancy, so it is essential to instill a non-violent attitude towards women at all times. Simplifying it as sexism just doesn't consider the total picture.