Load of...

DeletedUser

I just read this load of crap posted on the Daily Gospel thread: Load of Crap. <-- Read it and then read my response on this post.

There are so many things wrong with this load of crap that it's hard to point them all out without confusing everyone here, but i'll give it a shot, while i'm still awake. But first I want to say that Divest is right, the imaginary professor in that story is an idiot, and definitely not a professor of any science (could be a professor of crochet). Okay, onward:
Crap: A false premise is presented, claiming good and evil are polar opposites, wherein good pulls one direction and evil pulls another. This false premise, this strawman, is the basis for the entire argument presented to this so-called professor. I.e., the faux professor presents the strawman, allowing the student to then rip apart the strawman and eventually impose his own unsubstantiated premise (via a faulty reasoning process).

Answer: Good and evil are ethical concepts, defined in both relativistic and absolutist terms, the combination of which is termed universalism.

Crap: The conclusion, which is that of imposing the unsubstantiated premise that Good = God and Evil = No God, conveniently oversimplifies these ethical concepts. I.e., "Evil is simply the absence of God."

Answer: The Bible, in so many words ([FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Matthew, Psalms, Jeremiah, Ephesians, Kings, Hebrews, Corinthians, & Romans[/FONT]), indicates that God is omnipresent, and thus in all things. And yet, this contradicts the aforementioned conclusion. So which is correct, the ramblings of a student or the Bible?

Crap: Satan was mentioned as argument for the initial premise, but from there-on was absent in the debate (if you can call it a debate).

Answer: Satan was absent from the debate because it throws a massive wrench into the student's conclusion. As indicated at the beginning of this debate, God created Satan, an archangel who rebelled, and thus was cast down. But, more to the point, Satan is clearly identified as, "the evil one" ([FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Matthew 13:19 & 1 John 2:13[/FONT]) as the, "author of all evil" ([FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Luke 10:19[/FONT]) and as a, "murderer and father of all lies" ([FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]John 8:44[/FONT]). Merely inserting him into the debate at the end would have deflated the student's assertions.

Crap: The imaginary professor states, "according to the rules of empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol, science says your God doesn't exist."

Answer: What a load of crap. Oh, you wanted a more detailed answer? Fine, the professor is dead wrong. There are a multitude of methods used, the most commonly known being the Scientific Method. It is in the scientific method a question is posed, it is then researched, then a hypothesis (premise) is constructed. The hypothesis is then tested via experiments, the data is collated & analyzed, a conclusion (theory) is drawn and then this conclusion is thrown to the wolves (i.e., reviewed by peers from around the globe). With a belief (in this instance, the belief in God), there is nothing for which to experiment on, and thus the Scientific Method cannot be applied. That doesn't mean God doesn't exist, nor does it mean God does. Scientific analysis cannot be applied to an "idea." Just as the Onion, or the Spaghetti Monster, there is nothing to measure. They are merely concepts, immeasurable and inconstant.

Crap: A one-sided debate ensues about evolution, the conclusion of which goes like so, "Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor, are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you now not a scientist, but a preacher?"

Answer: This absolutely incorrect. Evolution has been observed, via the examination of fossils, generations, DNA, and through controlled lab tests. Just because the student never bothered to open a book doesn't mean there are no pages in it, or no words, or no sentences. The student here is merely ignorant, and has decided to universally project his ignorance. Also, man did not evolve from a monkey. The students comment on this further demonstrates his gross lack of knowledge on both the facts and theories on evolution.

Crap: The student proceeds to argue that the professor has no brain because nobody in the room has ever seen his brain.

Answer: Well thank you, imaginary student, for making it so easy to demonstrate who is the one without a brain, or at least without functioning braincells. Human brains have been examined, in detail, for centuries. In fact, for tens of thousands of years brains have been witnessed (and described) spilling out of crushed human & animal skulls. But, if we wish to address only the professor's brain for the argument, all you would need to do is grab an MRI and *poof*, there's the brain. Seriously, what an idiotic, not to mention insulting, argument.
Alright, that's enough comedic relief.

DeletedUser

I'm glad you spotted it, but if these are the straws 'men of god' will cluth onto, then pity is in order.

DIvest is entirely correct; no proff would ever be that much of an idiot.

Good breakdown, good post, well ripped apart.

DeletedUser

you guys know you should keep this in the thread Daily Gospel.

DeletedUser

I for one am sick of this science vs. religion thing. It's based in fanaticism. There are plenty of religious scientists but they understand that personal faith is entirely separate from the purpose/practice of science. Literal fundamentalist reading of any scripture is at basic odds with the world around us in so many basic ways. (if these fundies are so anti science they need to give up their modern conveniences.....cars, cellphones, computers, medicine, etc.) At least the Amish practice what they preach.

DeletedUser

it would just be a retread of the Evolution vs. Creationism Death Match and the JC v PP threads

You might be right, but it wouldn't necessarily be one, although I must admit it is bound to go in that direction.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
Even fundamentalist Christians go back on themselves when the Scientific method is brought up, there's just a huge system of denial.

They just make this mess which has to be cleared up, the next audience will be back on square one and we know it.

DeletedUser

the biggest problem with religious people is they teach their fairy tales to children before they have critical thinking skills. Indoctrination is evil

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
It's not too surprising though, there's people in my school who only starting seeing this at 16+ when this sort of general knowledge is required for science related subjects. Critical thinking is taught here in the UK but it's not taught very well, some students get through on common sense and others find it impossible, the teaching can also be very bad.

I've been lucky with life experiences and never experienced the fear of knowledge that some of them talk about. I think that knowledge issue is perhaps at the core of everything.

DeletedUser

the biggest problem with religious people is they teach their fairy tales to children before they have critical thinking skills. Indoctrination is evil

Parents teach their children a lot of fairy tales, but the kids usually know they're just stories. What I find 'funny' is that telling a 6 year old that God wouldn't like his/her behavior has little or no effect on it, but try saying "Santa is watching" and you'll usually see an immediate improvement (usually temporary, but immediate anyway)

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
yes the indoctrination of our atheist teachers is our athieist schools that the government has set up is evil

Science is Atheist?

The idea of trying to forcefully indoctrinate a school teacher is hilarious.

Edit: Of course Science is Atheist, I mean... "you have to be an Atheist to support the Scientific method?"

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Science is not atheistic it is in fact agnostic. If you don't like science being taught to children I suggest you do what I suggested earlier in this thread and rid yourself of everything that needed science to exist. You couldn't study computer engineering without atomic theory so it looks like you need to pick a new career path. Or did God create computers on the 6th day right before he knocked of for his "day of rest"

DeletedUser

Science is not atheistic it is in fact agnostic. If you don't like science being taught to children I suggest you do what I suggested earlier in this thread and rid yourself of everything that needed science to exist. You couldn't study computer engineering without atomic theory so it looks like you need to pick a new career path. Or did God create computers on the 6th day right before he knocked of for his "day of rest"

now I have to agree with you that Science is not atheistic considering science does agree with christianity in a lot of places.