Is it acceptable to be disrespectful to the Christian faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I'm curious. Do you actually ask everyone you meet what religion they follow? If you just avoid anyone who commits a sin, I'd think you'd get awfully lonely. I can honestly say that I don't know the religion of about 90% of the people I know - including many relatives.

DeletedUser

"Why, ever since Christians started killing and torturing heretics, unbelievers, blasphemers and apostates." Your exact words. You are implying that this is the norm rather than a fraction of a larger group in the past.
No I'm not. Put your brain in gear.

DeletedUser

Actually I was exaggerating,
No, you were lying. None of those sentences you quoted were the fallacies you indicated. And, once again, you're off-topic.

you stated yourself you are unwilling to provide insight as to the reason a fallacy applies.
No, I said I wasn't going to be catering to you. You indicated I had to "prove" something is a logical fallacy, I don't. I merely need to point it out. Nonetheless, I have been providing insights into fallacies as they are presented. In the ONLY case where I didn't, it was self-evident. -- <click here>

Hellstromm said:
3) As far as the Catholic religion goes, I stated before that there is a difference between a true Christian than some one who calls them selves Christian. If you need to figure out the difference all you have to do is study the life of Jesus and his disciples and see if they match up with said organization.
Logical fallacy - No True Scotsman
This, above, is the only instance in this entire thread where I didn't initially provide insight as to why something you wrote was a fallacy, but as I said it was quite obvious when you posed the "no true Christian" assertion.

But, just to cater to your blind-bat behavior, your comments were a wordy presentation of claiming certain Christians weren't "true Christians," effectively washing your hands of those who act or think differently than you do by claiming that "no true Christian" would hold to such standards (the standards being arbitrary, based on a person's interpretation of the Bible, which in itself is an exegetical fallacy).

Also, fallacies don't "apply," they "exist." I have been providing insight as to where you pose fallacies, I'm just not going to waste my time educating you on what is a fallacy when that's something you should do on your own (and I'm courteous enough to provide you links on occasion, so you can get that edumacation without having to Google for it).

And, once again, you're off-topic while my response tries to bring it back on-topic.

I was just explaining that if you are christian the friends you keep are a reflection on you and affect how you act and think.
Being Christian has NOTHING to do with that and who you associate with is only a reflection on you if you're worried about what other people think (shallow?). I, frankly, respect the people I'm with and don't bother to concern myself with what "other" people think, precisely because what is inside a person is invisible to the casual observer.

As to affecting how you act and think, everyone does regardless of whether you associate with them. Be it through close or casual encounters, commercials or media, movies or music, books or paintings, you are influenced by everything and everyone. No doubt you're affected, but in your earlier assertions you made the comment that the Bible instructs you to, "turn away from unrepentant sinners and not to mix company with such ones" and in your convenience you failed to provide insight as to what constitutes an unrepentant sinner, which just so happens to constitute ALL non-Christians. Worse, based on your earlier arguments, it also constitutes all non-"true" Christians.

That, my dear sir, is segregation. And since we've all been having fun quoting dictionaries:

seg·re·gate  [v. seg-ri-geyt]
verb (used with object)

1. to separate or set apart from others or from the main body or group; isolate: to segregate exceptional children; to segregate hardened criminals.
2. to require, often with force, the separation of (a specific racial, religious, or other group) from the general body of society.

While I understand the notion of choosing who you associate with, when you put it into a context of, "true Christians should only associate with true Christians," you're going into a whole shebang of nausea, of advocating segregation (an extreme form of disrespect). Even ignoring the imposition of segregation, disassociating yourself from non-"true" Christians is, at the very least, disrespectful.

Yet again, you're off-topic while my response tries to bring it back on-topic.

You are dishonest in your debates. You advocate disrespect and turn around and act as if you are the one being disrespected.:hmf:
lol, I'm not the one being disrespected. I'm not a woman, I'm not homosexual, I'm not a pseudo-Christian, I don't even cater to the notion of "sin" (if someone calls me a sinner, I chuckle at their inanity). As to advocacy, I advocate resisting persecution, hatred, separationism. I advocate people stand up against oppression, hold their head high and not be talked down to by a bunch of hypocrites. So yes, I advocate disrespecting those who pose disrespect. There's no friggin' way you can talk rationally with a bible-toting bigot, so the very least you can do is push back, the very least you must do is make it abundantly clear --- to everyone else --- that powerful religious groups advocating disrespect based on gender and religious affiliation cannot be reasoned with and thus instead must be told, via the Laws of Man, that their forms of oppression will not be tolerated.

Do you find that disrespectful?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'm curious. Do you actually ask everyone you meet what religion they follow? If you just avoid anyone who commits a sin, I'd think you'd get awfully lonely. I can honestly say that I don't know the religion of about 90% of the people I know - including many relatives.
Of course not. I'm not close friends with every one I meet either. There is a difference between living in sin with out remorse or repentance, and committing sin. We all commit sin. I chose ppl who share the same values to be friends with as I am sure you do too. I do not invite ppl over to my house to eat and watch a movie if they are not living a clean life style. If a person cheats on their spouse or cheats and lies why should I be friend with that person? I am respectful of those who do not share my values but I personally wont get in a relationship with someone who will be a bad influence on me.

DeletedUser

lol, I'm not the one being disrespected. I'm not a woman, I'm not homosexual, I'm not a pseudo-Christian, I don't even cater to the notion of "sin" (if someone calls me a sinner, I chuckle at their inanity). As to advocacy, I advocate resisting persecution, hatred, separationism. I advocate people stand up against oppression, hold their head high and not be talked down to by a bunch of hypocrites. So yes, I advocate disrespecting those who pose disrespect. There's no friggin' way you can talk rationally with a bible-toting bigot, so the very least you can do is push back, the very least you must do is make it abundantly clear --- to everyone else --- that powerful religious groups advocating disrespect based on gender and religious affiliation cannot be reasoned with and thus instead must be told, via the Laws of Man, that their forms of oppression will not be tolerated.

Do you find that disrespectful?
Stawman fallacy, I am not advocating disrespect or oppression of woman or homosexuals. Yes, I find this to be disrespectful "There's no friggin' way you can talk rationally with a bible-toting bigot". If you are failing at "talking rationally" the fault is yours not mine.

DeletedUser

Willy, you don't associate with 'unrepentant sinners' yet according to the teachings of Jesus, which you claim to follow, he associated himself with them all of the time......qed :p

DeletedUser

Willy, you don't associate with 'unrepentant sinners' yet according to the teachings of Jesus, which you claim to follow, he associated himself with them all of the time......qed :p
He preached to sinners and ministered to them. He did not make unrepentant sinners his apostles. The pharisees accused him of associating with sinners and he corrected their view.
Mark 2:17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
Matthew 9:12
New International Version (©1984)
On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.

He was giving those sinners a chance to repent. There is a difference between a sinner and a unrepentant sinner. We are all sinners, no exceptions. Jesus was the only man who never sinned.

DeletedUser

Stawman fallacy, I am not advocating disrespect or oppression of woman or homosexuals. Yes, I find this to be disrespectful "There's no friggin' way you can talk rationally with a bible-toting bigot". If you are failing at "talking rationally" the fault is yours not mine.
Nope, not a strawman fallacy, it's exactly the discussion that's on the table, exactly the topic of this thread, and what you presented is exactly what you argued in this and other threads.

Yes, you have indicated oppression/disrespect of homosexuals in this and in other threads, particularly when you indicated you are against them being allowed to have civil marriages. Seriously, how is that not being disrespectful? You're blatantly telling them their very existence is wrong. They can't repent being homosexual any more than you can repent being a heterosexual. It's simply not possible and to disassociate with them, to cast them out of your social circles, because they are unrepentant (unable to repent, in this case) is indeed segregation. You're not disassociating with them because they're thieves, you're disassociating with them because their sexual orientations do not fall within your simplistic "male/female" categories. It's your ignorance, based on your faith, that feeds this sexism.

And women? Are you going to honestly tell me you're not following the New Testament regarding how women in society should be positioned and placed? Are you going to tell me you're not following the New Testament, which indicates Women should be subordinate to Men? If you're not advocating this, then you're not disrespecting women and if you are advocating it, then you're disrespecting women because, in all truth Willy, you have only two directions here: either you're what you defined as a "true" Christian and thus disrespecting women, or you're not a "true" Christian and are not disrespecting women (( would you like me to repost your earlier comments, as well as the parts regarding what is stated in the Bible regarding the role of women in Christianity, or will you just concede being a bible-toting bigot? ))

DeletedUser

Nope, not a strawman fallacy, it's exactly the discussion that's on the table, exactly the topic of this thread, and what you presented is exactly what you argued in this and other threads.

Yes, you have indicated oppression/disrespect of homosexuals in this and in other threads, particularly when you indicated you are against them being allowed to have civil marriages. Seriously, how is that not being disrespectful? You're blatantly telling them their very existence is wrong. They can't repent being homosexual any more than you can repent being a heterosexual. It's simply not possible and to disassociate with them, to cast them out of your social circles, because they are unrepentant (unable to repent, in this case) is indeed segregation. You're not disassociating with them because they're thieves, you're disassociating with them because their sexual orientations do not fall within your simplistic "male/female" categories. It's your ignorance, based on your faith, that feeds this sexism.

And women? Are you going to honestly tell me you're not following the New Testament regarding how women in society should be positioned and placed? Are you going to tell me you're not following the New Testament, which indicates Women should be subordinate to Men? If you're not advocating this, then you're not disrespecting women and if you are advocating it, then you're disrespecting women because, in all truth Willy, you have only two directions here: either you're what you defined as a "true" Christian and thus disrespecting women, or you're not a "true" Christian and are not disrespecting women (( would you like me to repost your earlier comments, as well as the parts regarding what is stated in the Bible regarding the role of women in Christianity, or will you just concede being a bible-toting bigot? ))
Regardless of what you say homosexuality is a choice and people have changed both to homosexuality and away from it. In the confines of marriage men take the lead as it is in the Christian congregation. This is order not disrespect. Insults will get you nowhere. If you don't believe, no one is forcing you to.

DeletedUser1121

You all had a nice 12 rounds to fight this out (well, 12 pages anyway.)
Locking this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.