Is it acceptable to be disrespectful to the Christian faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser563

I see a lot of posts here were stuff is said unintentionally but mostly intentionally that would be considered disrespectful to the Christian faith. There is also no rules that says a person may not be disrespectful to any faith in this forum as well. Thinking back to the bible it says a few things. For one: The lord's name may not be used in vain. So for instance what would you say about the following comments by Victor Kruger.
Being a Judgemental hypocrite aren't you ? makes you guilty of quite a lot being a Christian then by association....burnt any witches or sodomised any children lately :rolleyes:

I for one come from a branch of the faith were I hardly could see anyone claiming this about my religion. And is deeply offended by this statement. What do the rest of you think . Especially Catholics as this was apparently who he referred to. Also would there be any context in which this would be acceptable to you.

I cant recall any posts were for instance anyone said he would burn in hell cause he is an atheist. So his beliefs or lack of belief is respected whilst he and others constantly makes demeaning comments about the Christian faith and Christians in particular. So discuss it from any vantage points.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser17143

It is very acceptable. The whole point of this part of the forum is to share opinions and debate subjects. Whilst you may not approve of someones opinion, that doesn't mean that they don't have the right to share it. And seeing as how the Christian faith is disrespectful to the gay community, Muslim community, Jewish community, Atheist community, Hindu community, Pagan community and basically every other community that shares it's own beliefs and doesn't abide by the bible, I think it is very acceptable for all of us non Christians to have our own thoughts on each other and Christianity.

The lord's name may not be used in vain.

Just because it's in the bible, doesn't make it Gospel :D

Also I would like to add this quote from Victor has been taken out of context. It was being used as a way to show how much of a hypocrite WillyPete was being by dismissing the whole population of India as people who will kill their children if they are born female. So it wasn't being used as an insult towards all Christians, it was as Desi said being used as "a perfectly good example to show the flaw in the argument that WillyPete posted".

DeletedUser

I agree with yidboi's comments. While it's not necessary to be mean about people's beliefs, if such beliefs are being touted as a means to argue things like, "gays shouldn't get married, or be allowed to live for that matter," then it is quite reasonable to disrespect such a mentality, and as such a particular interpretation on a religion.

As to the witches comment by Victor, Christianity was the "excuse" used to kill non-Christians or even other Christians. Shove a label on them and watch them burn...

As to the sodomy comment, while offensive, we all know about the Catholic church (and a few other denominations btw) cover-up of children being molested by their priests. If you can respect that, then you have a problem...

Finally, there's quite a lot written in the Bible (primarily old testament, but some in the new as well) advocating genocides, killing of wives and children, keeping of slaves, encouragement of intolerance, etc. Hard to respect that...

DeletedUser

I disagree anarchy. Being disrespectful to race, gender, nationality, or disability is not okay.

DeletedUser30834

I agree with Anarche111 to the extent that it isn't being attacked in the stead of a point in an argument (attacking the messenger and not the message). I mean is saying Mohemed was an illiterate pedophile trying to deliver the christian message and screwed it up Or that Atheism is a scape goat for people who aren't intelligent enough to follow a simple concepts of philosophy or maintain morals really helpful to anything?

I also think it shouldn't be brought up and attacked when the person has no clue about what they are talking about like some who can't grasp the concept of covenants or that biblical laws have changed over time during the bible.

Adding ignorance to ignorance or just adding out of spite is not adding anything helpful or useful to any conversation. Some people probably should stay completely away from commenting on the bible or christian religion until they understand it or the parts they want to discuss.

DeletedUser17143

IMO you should be allowed to be disrespectful to any religion, race or any other group, political correctness turns people into dumb morons...

I think it's okay to be disrespectful of any group if they instigate a confrontation that is disrespectful to others. It is also okay to use stereotypes and social norms to emphasize a point. However being rude, disrespectful or ignorant to other peoples age, race, ethnics, religion or physical ability for no reason is unacceptable. And should be against Forum rules if it is not already.

DeletedUser16008

I your going to quote me do so in the context of my reply to you.

Originally Posted by WillyPete
It is a matter of guilt by association. I never said all Indian people kill their female children unborn or otherwise only that it was not uncommon.

Originally Posted by victor Kruger
Being a Judgemental hypocrite aren't you ? makes you guilty of quite a lot being a Christian then by association....burnt any witches or sodomised any children lately :rolleyes:

I think anyone can see it was an example retort not disrespecting the religion. Harsh it may have been but then again so was the insult to a whole nation of people.

Had you in the beginning merely said it goes on in India or did you would have had no retort, as its a fact. The same as my retort were facts, I purposely made it read so it would be felt as an insult tagging you with their mistakes just as your claim re an entire population

As for respect ?

Well thats a whole bigger debate. There is such a thing as comedy. Is it ok to ridicule anyone or anything in comedy ? its obviously not respectful but it seems on the whole to be accepted. The problem comes when its meant and the context its used in or political correctness comes into it.

Then of course there is the whole problem of what one sees as disrespect would not bother another at all. Depends on how serious you take something and if the other knows this already or not.

I have a m8 who is a dwarf he's known as halfpint by everyone. He dosnt make an issue of it and it dosnt bother him (yes im very certain ive asked many times ) i also know his old GF got very upset when she was referred to as shotglass in pure jest, guess who came up with the name ? yup thats right halfpint did. so was that disrespect when its between people of the same group or what ? i dunno tbh.

If i for instance was referring to a niger whilst talking about slavery or maybe even racism even historicalwise with no insult meant even as an example of their abuse i know a good number of people who would be insulted by even using the word.

Or say women cant drive properly, or men are all liars. Or telling me the British Empire is evil...

These can all be either a comment or an insult. So its all subjective depending on the situation imo.

As to disrespecting a religion ? I think its fine as they are always insulting each other and telling all non believers etc they are going to hell have no morals, evil and all the rest. I do so only to those that have or do disrespect others first....

The more sensitive you are to being respected the more careful you should be towards respecting all others, especially faith or non faith believers. In my experience its rarely the case and those who call foul are often hypocrites and intolerant to others. Works both ways respect you know.

DeletedUser16008

As a curiosity yidboi is that the team spurs your referring to ? if not im sure you get where im going ;) even if it is i know plenty would see the name as an insult anyway... silly world we live in sometimes.

DeletedUser17143

I am indeed. Spurs 4 lyf :D

I don't plan on changing it no matter how insulted people become. But I haven't had any negative feedback so far. Even if I do. I know I'm referring to the football team I support.

DeletedUser30834

Jsut a point of clarification victor. Were you trying to use the term niger as the racial slur towards black people or where you correctly using it as the french term for "black" referring to the country in Africa along the Niger river called "Niger"?

If it was the racial slur, there are two Gs in it. As in . The first recorded use of the term was from a shipping clerk in Baltimore Maryland but I think it is actually a misspelling of the word Niger as the bill of lading accompanying slaves at the time the usage is thought to have came about would have had Niger as the state of origin for them. They would be Nigers, or people from the country of Niger (in a less educated hooked on phonics south).

DeletedUser

I agree with yidboi's comments. While it's not necessary to be mean about people's beliefs, if such beliefs are being touted as a means to argue things like, "gays shouldn't get married, or be allowed to live for that matter," then it is quite reasonable to disrespect such a mentality, and as such a particular interpretation on a religion.
"gays shouldn't get married," and "be allowed to live for that matter," are completely separate arguments. You cannot even compare the two. There is no right to marry some one of the same sex.

As to the witches comment by Victor, Christianity was the "excuse" used to kill non-Christians or even other Christians. Shove a label on them and watch them burn...
As to the sodomy comment, while offensive, we all know about the Catholic church (and a few other denominations btw) cover-up of children being molested by their priests. If you can respect that, then you have a problem...

Well there are wolves among the sheep there are just as many wolves among the wolves. USSR, Nazis, and Mao Zedong are among the perpetrators of violence against religion in the name of atheism, and I am sure there are no athiestic child molesters :rolleyes: The point being you should direct your moral outrage at the individuals who are responsible and just because you have a government built without religion the problems that affect us are not just going to disappear.

Finally, there's quite a lot written in the Bible (primarily old testament, but some in the new as well) advocating genocides, killing of wives and children, keeping of slaves, encouragement of intolerance, etc. Hard to respect that...
So no examples this time? I guess you are just tired of being proved wrong.

DeletedUser15641

If your topic is a question then i would say it is not acceptable...

DeletedUser17143

"gays shouldn't get married," and "be allowed to live for that matter," are completely separate arguments. You cannot even compare the two. There is no right to marry some one of the same sex.

So it is acceptable to be disrespectful towards gay people, but not Christians? Last time I checked gay people were not to blame for millions of murders, wars and ridiculous laws. Christians have been. If anything gay people have more right to marriage. They aren't the ones trying to remove peoples rights to love each other.

DeletedUser

I see a lot of posts here were stuff is said unintentionally but mostly intentionally that would be considered disrespectful to the Christian faith. There is also no rules that says a person may not be disrespectful to any faith in this forum as well. Thinking back to the bible it says a few things. For one: The lord's name may not be used in vain. So for instance what would you say about the following comments by Victor Kruger.

I for one come from a branch of the faith were I hardly could see anyone claiming this about my religion. And is deeply offended by this statement. What do the rest of you think . Especially Catholics as this was apparently who he referred to. Also would there be any context in which this would be acceptable to you.

I cant recall any posts were for instance anyone said he would burn in hell cause he is an atheist. So his beliefs or lack of belief is respected whilst he and others constantly makes demeaning comments about the Christian faith and Christians in particular. So discuss it from any vantage points.
I don't think Vic was intentionally trying to insult religion, it was a misunderstanding which I was at fault. I was merely referring to another thread which no one seemed to make the connection and his retort did not offend me.

DeletedUser

I disagree anarchy. Being disrespectful to race, gender, nationality, or disability is not okay.

What is alternative? Politically correct talk, that breeds hordes of brainless dopes?
As i see it having a society that is able to think, is well worth hearing some hateful or disrespectful tones.

DeletedUser

So it is acceptable to be disrespectful towards gay people, but not Christians? Last time I checked gay people were not to blame for millions of murders, wars and ridiculous laws Christians have been. If anything gay people have more right to marriage. They aren't the ones trying to remove peoples rights to love each other.

People are responsible for "millions of murders, wars and ridiculous laws."

Who is being disrespectful? To a Christian, marriage is the union of a man and a woman under God. The government marrying the same sex is basically saying God approves of this. If they were being respectful then they would not need to call what they are doing marriage. And exactly how do you remove the right for ppl to love each other? You seem to be very emotional about this topic and its clouding your reasoning.
"gay people have more right to marriage."?!

DeletedUser30834

So it is acceptable to be disrespectful towards gay people, but not Christians? Last time I checked gay people were not to blame for millions of murders, wars and ridiculous laws. Christians have been. If anything gay people have more right to marriage. They aren't the ones trying to remove peoples rights to love each other.
who is being disrespectful to gays?

And you better check again on your war and killing statement. That is simply false- as Hell' pointed out, look at Nero.

Also, No one that i know of has tried to remove the right to love from gays. denying them a homosexual marriage is not removing anything. But i think you proved exactly why bashing Christians is probably not a good idea. Here you have demonstrated that you don't know what you are talking about and attemped to paint Christians as evil murders in the process.

DeletedUser15641

You should just respect everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.