Gun Control (Right to Bear Arms)

• Thread starter DeletedUser13682
  • Start date

DeletedUser13682

For everyone who was debating on the right to bear arms in the should we impeach Obama thread, and for those who want to debate the subject.

DeletedUser

I think people should have all the bear arms that they want.

But, I think better gun control would be a good thing.

DeletedUser3717

family%20guy%20bear%20arms.jpg

:)

DeletedUser

For a Country like the UK i disagree with Guns alltogether.

DeletedUser

Yes Hefty Smurf, for a small country like that, everyone owning firearms would not be very good, I mean, really, the IRA insurgents might get in and shoot people with legal weapons, instead of the already easily imported ones, but the govt. won't be able to stop them so that would suck. (No scarcasim whatsoever)
But for a larger, more secure country like the US, or Australia, there should be fewer gun regulations.

DeletedUser

anyone else notice that this thread is about BEAR arms? I say, leave the bears alone.

DeletedUser

David, the vast majority of people in Australia are completely happy with our gun laws, and anyone who needs an outlawed weapon for a specific purpose (like sport shooting etc) can apply for an exemption.

Any nation, however, which thinks semi-automatic or pump action guns should be readily available to anyone who wants them has a serious socio-cultural problem. Because they have people there who just want them, when they serve no function at all.

The research about the effect the changes in our gun laws have had on gun crime is somewhat ambiguous, but the probable balanced analysis is that it had negligible effects, with one exception... No more mass shootings by crazy lone gunmen. (Also, the suicide by gun rate went down, but the suicide rate did not, so that isn't really a benefit.)

But for for basically no inconvenience to the population, a drop in mass shootings to zero seems like a pretty fair trade. Gun control laws are not the issue, and they are not even the answer. The cultural attitude to guns is what America's problem is, which is why you have high levels of gun crime. You guys don't need tighter gun laws. You need to stop thinking guns are great and that guns = security. It is painfully obvious that they do not, just as it is painfully obvious that guns are not great.

In societies which don't have a pathological attachment to them, there is less gun crime.

DeletedUser

Alot of gun crimes are still going to happen whether you can't bear arms or not. Criminals don't follow laws anyways, so they are going to get guns whether it's outlawed or not. So better to have a gun when somebody with a gun breaks into your home then not having a gun.

DeletedUser

I agree, the lack of gun control has caused a huge problem. However, there is no way to reverse the problem and get guns off the streets, so I say get MANY guns. What are you going to do if you have one in your bedroom, and you're in the kitchen when the intruder breaks in? Tell him to wait while you go get your weapon? I don't think so. The level of lawlessness in America is out of control, and law enforcement is NOT capable of protecting you. You're going to have to protect your home yourself. Otherwise, America will end up like England, where the gang members are house jacking people because they have no way to stop them from doing it. Get a gun, and get TRAINED in how to properly use it. Otherwise, you're just as likely to hurt yourself as you are someone else.

DeletedUser

You are right, that you won't stop criminals as they are gonna get and use their guns anyway, but you will more likely prevent amok runs, homicides in families, accidents when the "intruder" at night turns out to be a relative and those when your 10yo child finds daddy's gun and plays with it.

And where did you get the house jacking in England from?
We have kind of strict weapon laws here in Germany as well, but I never heard of any gangs house jacking and I feel very secure here.

I can only agree with Vi, you guys need to learn that guns aren't great and that they don't mean more security, but in fact the opposite.

DeletedUser

A lot of people have the misplaced notion that a gun is like a screwdriver. You buy it, you use it and you're done.

I don't think I mentioned this, but I'm well versed in weapons and unarmed combat (30+ years now). Guns require a lot of training. Not merely in pointing and shooting, but in utilizing in a stressful situation and maintaining a psychologically congregate allegiance with it. Part of the problem with guns and unarmed combat skills, is the likelihood of using it in a real instance is extremely low. In the meantime, you invest in a mindset that is potentially unhealthy.

I have worked with many people who have swayed into antisocial behaviors for practicing, at length, with weapons and/or unarmed combat. Weapons, and especially guns, are like security blankets. In real life, they serve only one purpose, which is to give people a false sense of security.

Why? Because it is extremely unlikely, even if you are attacked, you will be able to utilize your gun (or rifle, or uzi, or M3 carbine, or M777 howitzer). Most crimes are committed between familiars, people who know each other. Most others are committed with surprise, acting when a person is not ready, or capable of responding.

Criminals who have the intent to do you harm are most likely not going to give you the chance to dig in your dresser drawer, disengage the trigger lock, load the cartridge (seriously bad idea if it is already loaded), switch off the safety, cock, aim, and fire.

Oops, you just shot your wife...

DeletedUser

All good points, but I think you missed one. Most burglars prefer to break into a home when it's empty. If you have a gun in your home "for protection" and you're robbed, I think it's a pretty safe bet that your gun will be gone and won't be used for protection.

DeletedUser

May I add, most people learn just enough weapons training, just enough unarmed combat, to gain a false sense of security and end up getting themselves into trouble, rather than learning the far more valuable skill of avoiding trouble.

You want to feel safe in your home, use safe deterrents. A dog or two, sign posts on your lawn indicating you have a security alarm (even if you don't) or a dog, stickers on your window indicating the same, deadbolts and/or bar locks, security bars on your windows, etc. But if you really want to feel safe, just be safe. When approaching your car, ensure there is nobody nearby and that you have your keys ready. Lock your car doors immediately upon entering your car. Start your car and engage the transmission before opening a window. Avoid driving in crime-laden neighborhoods. Always leave room between you and other cars when traffic is slow or you are at a red light. Don't exit your car without first ensuring nobody is around. Don't open your garage door and park your car in your garage. Don't leave your garage door open. Don't advertise your wealth by placing expensive items displayed from your windows. Don't leave your children unattended. Foster good relations with your neighbors. Create, or participate in, community watch programs. And the list goes on.

Common sense and awareness are your two best weapons, not guns and not unarmed combat. Take it from someone who grudgingly admits to being an expert.

DeletedUser

All good points, but I think you missed one. Most burglars prefer to break into a home when it's empty. If you have a gun in your home "for protection" and you're robbed, I think it's a pretty safe bet that your gun will be gone and won't be used for protection.
Agreed Art, by definition all stolen guns are available to criminals.

DeletedUser

"Any nation, however, which thinks semi-automatic or pump action guns should be readily available to anyone who wants them has a serious socio-cultural problem. Because they have people there who just want them, when they serve no function at all."

Sure they have a function the sport shooting i do would not even be possible without semi auto firearms.

Any way i live in Finland and we are like the 3rd ranked ( i think ) nation in the world in firearms per capita

But we have WERY low cun crime actually it is next to non existing.

The violent crime is actually quite high but then firearms is not involved
usually knives and regular hand to hand violence. We love ouer drink here =)

The few cases we have with violent crime with guns involved are allmost 100 % heavy criminals involved in organized crime and they use smuggeled "black guns" anyway so they do not obay any gun laws.

My point being that we have lots of registerd guns here and wery few problems whith the common gun owner

= guns or there method of function or the number of guns per capita does not cause guncrime by it self. So there has to be a different reason.

And i think we have had wery reasonable gunlaws here in the past.

Anyone wanting to pick up hunting or shooting as a hobby have not had any problems obtaining licences for weapons if they have not been in trubble with the law before.

Now we have had 2 shool shotings of ouer own a few years ago and the nation compleatly paniked and guncontrol has tightened.

Nothing that can not been overcome shooters still are able to get there guns but there are more restrictions that has to be met.

I mean when some kid kills his classmates it shuld not be taken lightly something is wrong and it needs to be prevented in the future if possible.

But i know for a fact that guncontrol only affects us regular law abiding citizens who happens to have shooting or hunting as a hobby it does not affect the ones who intent of using the weapons in anger.

And if somone intend to shoot up there school and they go to the goverment and try to get a licence for a semi auto .22 cal pistol and gets denied ? Then what ?

Will he stop right there and just say nooo i gues i have to give up my sick plan or does he go and buy a AK 47 for less that 1000 bucks from the black market ?

And they are not hard to find we have a long border to Russia and the eastern organized crime gangs will provide whatever you need if you got the cash.

One question you all need to ask yourself

Lets say hypotetecly you have carried a gun with you at ALL times your whole life every minute everywhere !

How many peapole would you have killed so far just because you would have had the means to do so ?

Somone cuts you off in traffic BOOM of coure =)

I can honestly say zero and i am like anybody else i been in heated situations a few times

Thank you king alkohol =)
thats where the real problem lies i think

And don`t say you would not but others would
you are not better than others in general.

Wow this became long =) and please exuce my spelling

I will end with my favorite gun qote i can not recall who sayed it

" We do not need childproof guns we need gunproof children "

That is a great statmant i think if the children are thought how to handle firearms they will treat and handle them in the right way and not fear them after all they are nothing more than a tool.

And i think that the ones doing the school shooting are messed up mentaly and have a sick glorifing relationship to guns ( the forbidden thing that others fears )

Just my two cents.

You do not have to agree with me but i do not argue with anti gun peapole anymore.

They are like religus peapole it does not matter if there is no proof
they know how it is and then they do not have to listen to reason.

But they have the right to have there point of wiew just like i have mine.

Over and out and remember to have guncontrol hitting your target =) and be safe and don`t shoot anyone

DeletedUser

Below Me, i am in agreement to much of what you say. It is not in the control of guns, but in the education of the wielders that matters most. The gun is not a readily available self-defense weapon, and it is in this perception we have a problem, a big problem.