GB to pull out of Europe

DeletedUser

on a more serious note:
I believe comments like "The reason you get more red reps than actual replies in the thread is because your rubbish" are pretty pathetic.
(RED) GB to pull out of Europe 01.03.11 17:56 im rubbish! well at least i dont go as far as insulting peeps like some...

Hell boyo, you don't even go as far as to bother with reading comprehension.

Do have a second go though:
The reason you get more red reps than actual replies in the thread is because your rubbish, quite frankly, isn't worth a proper response.

that said when you say Im blaming all UKs faults on EU. yes thats exactly what i am doing.
should we have not gone along to abiding to EU maybe we would have been in a better situation today? as a country.
Maybe this, maybe that. Would have, should have. Doesn't change a thing.
"The mother of all evil is speculation."

but now after some debates I come to realize that its not to do with Europe its to do with our systems ie capitalist democracy. EU just emphasizes these issues.
Elaborate.

some think that the power to be able to vote is everything in life. and that if you dont vote then you have no say at all.
voting is a nice idea, as much as marxism is a nice idea. but it is flawed. no vote will change the fact that Mr sainsbury controls how much money you spend on carrots and how much you make him/minute. no vote will change the fact that there are many other types of energy we could use but will continue to use fossil fuels because BP say so.
voting does nothing to enhance the place, it is a mere veil that controls populace through making people believe they have the power to change things through voting.
ad in most cases concerning the EU, we arent allowed to vote anyway.
Bla bla bla.
Votes matter. Who and why you and your peer chose to vote for a candidate in turn influence the political agenda.

What, where and why you buy a product influences the availability and pricing of goods.
Consumers as a collective group holds power to influence the policies of companies and what goods stay on the market.

As such I dont believe in supporting a flawed system. I would love to be able to give a solution and fight for it, but for one I am not knowledgeable enough, and for two, I cant be bothered to go to war with 99% of peeps, who think our systems are best things since sliced bread.
Have fun with apathy, kid.
I heard that is a great way to take a stance and change the world for the better!

it is impossible for all of Europe to work together with such a long and eventful history.
Another excellent point, why try for a brighter tomorrow when we can simply give up?
Trade fosters peace and prosperity. If we are to move forward and let bygones be bygones then trade is the way, and that is exactly what the EU is about. That might be one of its greatest challenges though.

The US survived it's civil war, France and England are at peace, Norway fosters no ill will towards Sweden, and Germany is not an outcast from European diplomacy and/or commerce.

Why is it impossible?

mind you i like the "inventing words" bit. argumentetation's with JR must be very interesterating?
;)
Cute. If we were to pick at your grammar and spelling we'd be stuck at that part so long we'd forget what to write next. Best if you leave that one alone ;)

It beats me why I bothered to reply even this much since you have already demonstrated your uncanny ability to ignore arguments and fail basic reading comprehension.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28121

now we're talking neo, but you are still mixing your pears and apples... democracy and our economic regime do tie in on a superficial level but do not rely too much on each other... our current economic system is flawed and biased and plain wrong! on that i will agree... but here's a news flash - people are wrong too, on the most fundamental level our impulses and drives and desires are wrong and rotten to the core. what's in common to the last financial bubble (BISTRO'S, US real-estate market) and the first financial bubble (Tulips in Netherlands -1600ish) ever to be created??? Human greed Neo. We are asses, 99,99% of us and given the choice we always want more (and ur no exception it seems :p) voting ties in here.... they dangle a carrot in front of our noses saying " lucky 1% will get to eat it (omitting that 99% will be getting a big fat stick) and we, the greed sheep we are, simply walk ourselves over the cliff...EU is simply a response to big economies; individually we would be crushed in the bud; this way we gate to race US, China and India to the edge of the cliff ;)

DeletedUser9470

JR it seems to me you are here on a personal basis only to bash me.
your quote/slate, quote/slate is easy and so up your own self, it is apparant you havent any idea about what you are talking about.
as such is best that peeps ignore you on the UK subject and on the democracy subject.

kid
;)

as for uk pulling out, well as you all know i grew up in France, i was talking to my parents the other day who reminded me how much I was pro-european years ago.
of course, that was what i was taught in school. that EU can only be a good thing.
nonetheless, as always there are 2 sides to every story, and now that I have seen both I am a Euro-skeptic.
it has become clear to me UK will always remain completely independent. as an island nation.

When you think of what good EU brought to the UK, no one can deny that it has not done much for the UK. on the contrary. it is apparent that for EU to work to any potential all of the countries need to be standing on even ground. which isnt the case, and never will be the case.
because different country populations dont have the same aspiration and ideals.
some love to laze around, some want to work to death to buy flatscreen tvs and porsches.

so why would the ones working give loads of money to those who aspire to laze about in the sun?
can someone give me any good reason?

latest news! European immigrants will now recieve full dole money when they are out of work in the uk!!!

so £10 million mansion in Chelsea.
free food
free heating
free clothes
and now £60/week pocket money

DeletedUser

Hmmm. I won't get involved in your spat with JR, Neo except to say that you can be pretty abrasive yourself sometimes, and what goes around comes around.

There's a sensible debate to be had on at what levels supranational organisations should enjoy a role. Even before we joined the EU we had NATO and it's clear that at a purely national level we could not realistically militarily oppose countries like the old USSR and China. At foreign policy and justice levels there is also merit in having supranational organisations to impose sanctions and bring war-criminals to trial. The real motor behind the EU is the business case - a common currency, no tariffs, harmonised labour-laws and a vast, freely mobile population and market is a businessman's dream.

The nation-state is an entity of arbitrary size, determined more by culture and historical accident than design. At some levels it is an appropriate size for certain policy areas, but at others it is either too large or small. That's why we have local councils and devolution and also international organisations. The appropriate powers that an EU-sized instrument should be vested with would make an interesting debate, but not in this forum, where people too often seem more concerned with expressing their fixed and uninformed notions and ridiculing those who disagree with them.

DeletedUser

Neo, do you think that the UK is the top of the world? I don't think that it is so...:no:

DeletedUser28121

we have to keep in mind that the decision making power has shifted upwards now... its simply the case that noone cares what ur country thinks, the UN and the other NGO's (so called) are making the decisions (examples WTO, WB etc)

DeletedUser16008

Well for one thing I want my food to look like normal food & not conforming to some stupid Euro idea that bananas have to have a specific curve % or cheddar cheese can only be made and called that if from cheddar etc...

I have no problems with migration either but let the Que for benefits start with whos been waiting longest and British & not whos just arrived etc..and control the borders

Don't want an open door policy on immigration when we barely have the jobs for our nationals already.
Don't wish to have my taxes frittered away in Europe when they are better spent at home.
Don't wish to be told how many hrs I can work as a maximum because Europe says so.
Don't wish the European court overturning or dictating what my sovereign law courts do already thank you.

Many many other dont wish etc but you get the picture.

In fact I dont wish to be governed by any foreign entity on 99.9% of issues.

Im a patriot yes & make no apologies for it, racist tho I am not and there are many many second generation here that are of exactly the same opinion.Heck Britain is made up 99% from immigrants at one time or another but over many generations, the current influx in the last 10 years has been ridiculous.

Britain is a small island with nothing much going for it anymore and quite honestly im ok with that, most of what we gained was to the detriment of others anyway.

However as is with so many things the balance has swung far too far the other way.

Look what happened to Ireland they voted no to the Euro and then what happened ? yea they made them vote again until they got the result they wanted ... now look at the place !! saddled with a debt even the next generation wont be paying off in a hurry.

We are prisoners tied with shackles to the EU fighting for the little freedom we have left.Still waiting for the promised vote here which no party will dare follow through as they know the result will be a resounding NO.

Blacky has hit the nail on the head its a power play and the EU is yet another example of a lie sold to the masses. Globalization only feeds the corporations in the long run & they care only for the profit margin & nothing for the populous of ANY country make no mistake.
We should cherish all cultures and countiries for having an identity and leave them the basic right to govern themselves.

The UK is no different.

The EU/ Euro is a big brother we neither need or want and thats an echo resounding round many countries throughout Europe, not just here.

Diggo11

Victor,

Granted the latest UK Census is almost a decade out of date, however it does indicate that merely 8.3% of the present population are immigrants, inclusive of those on temporary visas. When you account for both ten years of further immigration and those who's visa or intended length of stay is not permanent, I would still estimate that at least 9 in 10 of the UK population are native born. I would hardly consider that to be an excessive influx ;)

Don't be fooled - whilst immigration is constantly rising so is the native population and their life expectancies, exponentiating the native population just like immigration has. Whilst immigration may be the greater of these two trends (not that I've even checked) that is a result of globalisation - it is not limited to the UK but is consistent among almost all western nations. Also keep in mind your government is introducing a new immigration cap (outside EU) to be brought into force as of April to counter such globalisation...

Finally, I'm by no means an expert on Ireland's economic and political history and agendas, but please don't attempt to tell me it is all the fault of that big bad nasty Euro ;) Their present predicament is undoubtedly the result of the 'global financial crisis' in combination with economic mismanagement from government and/or corporation, as it has been with all other severely affected countries (US, Greece, etc). Perhaps the Euro played a part, I don't know, but it would not be the primary cause.

DeletedUser

Ever hear of a country called Iceland?

They stayed clear of the Euro and got themselves in a world of trouble with their own version of the South Sea Bubble that would make Ireland look like a model of financial rectitude by comparison.

Think about that before blaming everything on the evil Euro.

DeletedUser9470

iceland is where this economic banking crisis started, having been lent millions of dollars that they could never pay back.
nothing to do with the subject here.

victors post is spot on.
my point being that if nothing is done to make the situation better, then its all going to end up in tears.
and as European dictatorship wont help at all then tears are imminent.

DeletedUser

I'm with you all the way Neo.
Why the hell do you think they refuse to hold a referendum? The British People would be out of Europe in the blink of an eye. Facts & figures mean bugger all when you're working at this level..who needs any better 'proof' than actually 'living' the British way of life as it is at the moment.
Things are on the brink of changing VERY soon in this country.
Chili The Kid

DeletedUser

Whoa! I reply to one person's point and another one tells me it's off-topic. Tell the originator instead.
Let's start connecting the dots though - if a Eurozone country gets into a financial mess, it's the fault of the Euro, but if a non-Eurozone country does the same then it's not the subject of the thread? If you cherry-pick your data according to the conclusion you want to reach then your argument is circular.

DeletedUser

I gotta admit, I see the same reaction everywhere, and it has very little to do with EU. Instead it has to do with the economic crisis that resulted from the real estate fiasco, alongside a few other corporate/banking/lending bad behaviors. EU is a nice bag to blame it on, but so far I haven't seen any evidence in this thread that supports EU creating the hardships for UK. Everything so far alleged can easily be attributed to the economic crisis (not the fault of EU), baby boomer bedlam (population growth), and/or to globalization (ease of travel/communication).

Without convincing evidence, I'll have to side with Mikhail Alexseev, PhD of Political Science and a Professor at San Diego State University, who sums it very nicely in his book, "Immigration Phobia and the Security Dilemma" (and yes, that link is to Cambridge University Press). At the core to these issues, witnessed in the U.S., U.K., Russia, Argentina, and elsewhere, is anti-migrant hostility, fueled by an economic crisis and irrational security fears.

Anyhow, that's the obstacle you must overcome if you wish to influence this community. So, how about bringing some evidence to support your allegations? :)

Edit: here's a link to an excerpt from the book noted above --> (click here)

DeletedUser16008

Victor,

Granted the latest UK Census is almost a decade out of date, however it does indicate that merely 8.3% of the present population are immigrants, inclusive of those on temporary visas. When you account for both ten years of further immigration and those who's visa or intended length of stay is not permanent, I would still estimate that at least 9 in 10 of the UK population are native born. I would hardly consider that to be an excessive influx ;)

Don't be fooled - whilst immigration is constantly rising so is the native population and their life expectancies, exponentiating the native population just like immigration has. Whilst immigration may be the greater of these two trends (not that I've even checked) that is a result of globalisation - it is not limited to the UK but is consistent among almost all western nations. Also keep in mind your government is introducing a new immigration cap (outside EU) to be brought into force as of April to counter such globalisation...

Finally, I'm by no means an expert on Ireland's economic and political history and agendas, but please don't attempt to tell me it is all the fault of that big bad nasty Euro ;) Their present predicament is undoubtedly the result of the 'global financial crisis' in combination with economic mismanagement from government and/or corporation, as it has been with all other severely affected countries (US, Greece, etc). Perhaps the Euro played a part, I don't know, but it would not be the primary cause.

Whilst im not against immigration there is as far as I can see a problem integrating so many so fast.

http://www.aboutimmigration.co.uk/facts-impact-immigration-uk-population.html

All the information you need right there.Highlight as an example.

There were 690,013 live births in the UK in 2007 - the sixth year in a row when the rate increased. 23% of all births in 2007 were to mothers who were not born in the UK. This compares to 22% in 2006 and only 13% in 1997. The UK fertility rate is said to be higher now than it has been for 34 years.
Whilst not all of these mothers may be UK residents, it is likely that the true impact of immigration on the UK population figures is considerably higher than is suggested by looking at the immigration figures alone.

So in 2007 23% of all births are the 6.6% immigrant population ... does that look proportionate ? I dont think so. And its increasing year on year.

There is also the 1.1+ illegal immigrants running about the place lets add them in.. are they having babies ? you can bet a high % of them are.

Overview: Net immigration has added 1.5 million people to the population over the last 10 years. Two-thirds of them have come from the continents of Asia and Africa. In 2006 the total UK population was 60.6m. If net immigration continues at its current rate, as the government actuary's department calculates, the total population in 2031 will be 70m, and by 2081 it will be 85m.

These figures above are conservative of course and government figures which you have to take with a pinch of salt. No government wishes to show true figures.... however i would contest that 2/3 are Asia/Africa its more like 50/50 Europeans and the rest of the world.

Sure theres a cap on overseas coming but nothing re Europe and thats a big mistake

The people: In 2006 the largest numbers of immigrants were born in Africa and the Middle East (3% of the working age population) and the Indian sub-continent (2.5%). Those born in the east and central European EU member states – the A8 - made up 1% of the working age population. Today A8 immigrants account for one in three of new immigrants since 2004.

Where do immigrants live and work: In the last three years, East Anglia had the greatest number of A8 workers registering with employers in the area (15% of the total), followed by the Midlands (13%) and London (12%). A8 immigrants are more concentrated in low-skilled jobs, with only 13% in high-skilled occupations. Overall, there are more foreign-born than UK-born workers in highly skilled jobs (49% vs 42%).
The three most popular sectors for all foreign-born workers in the UK are public administration, education and health (32%), distribution, hotels and restaurants (21%) and banking, finance and insurance (20%). Immigrants are concentrated at the high and low skill end of the occupation distribution.

How easy is it to find work? The employment rate of A8 immigrants is more than 80%, while that of immigrants born in Bangladesh is only around 50%. When employed, the average immigrant worker worked one and a half hours a week more in 2006 than the average individual born in the UK. The average hourly wage of all immigrants in that year was £11.90 compared with £11.50 for UK-born workers. The earnings gap is partly explained by the fact that immigrants are more likely than UK-born persons to live in London where hourly rates are higher than in the rest of the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7069779.stm

In a nutshell... 1997 - 2007
Half of new jobs went to migrants
More than half of new jobs created under Labour since 1997 have gone to foreign workers, it has emerged.
The government had previously claimed the majority of new jobs had been filled by British workers.

This appeared to be supported by figures released on Monday, despite the government admitting it had underestimated the number of migrants.
But it later put out a clarification suggesting 52% - or 1.1 million - of new jobs created had gone to migrants.

Again we see an imbalance on the % of the immigrant population jobs vs jobs taken by the home populous....

There is also the question of where this salaried money is going, certainly not all back into the home economy as a lot of migrants are sending a high % back home. It all adds up I assure you.

My example of Ireland was not to blame the Euro for the problem but to highlight the lack of respect given to a population when they were asked they said NO to joining and it wasn't accepted so they were made to vote again.... Why even ask of you dont like the answer... It also shows that being a member made absolutely no difference in the state of the nation whereas who knows if they were not in the Euro zone if they would have run up such a debt or not... I suspect they would anyway but who knows. Ireland were frogmarched into he Euro under the premise of better things ... well they didnt get that did they ?

Before I take this thread completely off topic ( which is hard to do considering there are so many factors involved ) I will say it again.

I am for immigration and partnering on trade etc with our Euro cousins and all other countries. I am NOT anti European or anything else i just dont believe it is in my countries interest to be governed by anyone else... for that matter I dont believe any country needs to give up its sovereign powers to govern itself or lose its identity...

Never before has so much wealth been owned by so few and that will continue for the foreseeable future. Watch the North American union start to take form in the next decade and the Asian alliance and probably the south American alliance... we are living in interesting times my friends and not all of it will be for the better... if its one thing history has taught us its that mistakes are repeated. Visions are now forged and driven by money corporations and power the same as they always were its just on a bigger scale ;)

DeletedUser16008

I gotta admit, I see the same reaction everywhere, and it has very little to do with EU. Instead it has to do with the economic crisis that resulted from the real estate fiasco, alongside a few other corporate/banking/lending bad behaviors. EU is a nice bag to blame it on, but so far I haven't seen any evidence in this thread that supports EU creating the hardships for UK. Everything so far alleged can easily be attributed to the economic crisis (not the fault of EU), baby boomer bedlam (population growth), and/or to globalization (ease of travel/communication).

Without convincing evidence, I'll have to side with Mikhail Alexseev, PhD of Political Science and a Professor at San Diego State University, who sums it very nicely in his book, "Immigration Phobia and the Security Dilemma" (and yes, that link is to Cambridge University Press). At the core to these issues, witnessed in the U.S., U.K., Russia, Argentina, and elsewhere, is anti-migrant hostility, fueled by an economic crisis and irrational security fears.

Anyhow, that's the obstacle you must overcome if you wish to influence this community. So, how about bringing some evidence to support your allegations? :)

Edit: here's a link to an excerpt from the book noted above --> (click here)

I think there are some that have had no voice in warnings until of late... the mismanagement of corporate/banking/lending & bad behavior continues unopposed or regulated. This thread is about the UK and being part of Europe so thats all im answering. the Economic crisis has left most western countries with a hangover and it was and still is unresolved. Make no mistake we are going to be in for round 2 of the global recession soon enough, you cant print it away ;)

Feel free to delete this post btw its hardly the place for it :)

Diggo11

Hehe Victor (and Neo), if your best answer to the analogy of Iceland and HS' explanation regarding the GFC and economic mismanagement is "omg offtopic!", I think we can conclude that big bad nasty Euro was indeed not at fault at all. On the contrary, low interest Euro loans when coupled with to better regulation and non-corrupt government will do them a world of good - which may not have been so easy to obtain had Ireland still have a unique currency.

With regards to a vote over its currency, who forced anyone to vote yes? The Irish population could have continued to vote no should they have wished, more than likely to the detriment of their future economy all things considered. On the contrary, if the British Prime Minister held a vote over EU membership, would he be attempting to force Britain out of the EU? I thought regular referenda was right up on your agenda? ;) On that point, to you as well Neo, do keep in mind it is the responsibility of the member states' governments with regards to withdrawing from the EU and accepting the Euro. The EU is not forcing itself or it's currency onto anyone - allegedly your governments have or are.

Population - no time now, so a quick paragraph to support HS will have to do. From personal experience, second generation immigrants are often integrated into a culture and third generation immigrants are usually assimilated into the host culture. Whilst an immigrant usually retains their own culture and languages, their children learn both their heritage from their parents and local culture from peers. Going to local schools they also have a much better understanding of the language. When the grand children are born they grow up in an environment with (fluent) English speaking parents, and are immersed in local culture by both peers and parents. At least from personal experience, you over estimate how foreign these children and grandchildren may be ;)

DeletedUser9470

Whoa! I reply to one person's point and another one tells me it's off-topic. Tell the originator instead.
Let's start connecting the dots though - if a Eurozone country gets into a financial mess, it's the fault of the Euro, but if a non-Eurozone country does the same then it's not the subject of the thread? If you cherry-pick your data according to the conclusion you want to reach then your argument is circular.

LOL

so reading through the childish crap, basically you are saying that UKs issue is with the USAs federal reserve privately owned bank, who prints as and when they want, more and more dollars, that they sell to the US gvt for 8% interest, who then lends it on to other private banks, who then lend it to Iceland and other insolvent parties... who then go bankrupt and start a huge economic crisis?
mmm...

already you are pointing out one huge flaw:
In a business, if there is a problem, it is up to the manager to decide what to do.
if it all goes tits up, he cant turn around and blame his secretary!

so EU cannot blame federal reserve bank for it should have thought things through beforehand.

thats just on the crisis.

but there are many more flaws that have been pointed out. vic has done one awesome job of bringing figures to the table, which seem to be a lot closer to reality, on immigration policies.
Hellstromm, im thinking this is your chance to do a JR quote/slate post or opposite: to contribute (after having said you wouldnt contribute...)

and btw after having asked many times what EU has Brought to UK I still havent had an answer.

as for quoting cambridge or any prestige schools is complete nonesense. these people will always be in favour of europe and will always deny the existence of any flaws.
had i been a mummys boy and also gone to oxford or cambridge i would also be doing everything i can to preserve my inheritance rights to privileged positions in the society.

second, just check this out:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:EU_Constitution_Ratification_Map.png

definition of referendum for those who dont know:
[spoil]A referendum (also known as a plebiscite or a ballot question) is a direct vote in which an entire electorate is asked to either accept or reject a particular proposal. This may result in the adoption of a new constitution, a constitutional amendment, a law, the recall of an elected official or simply a specific government policy. It is a form of direct democracy. The measure put to a vote is known in the U.S. as a ballot proposition or measure.[/spoil]

11 countries said yes by parliament (backhanders and mummies boys getting richer)
2 countries said YES via referendum
2 countries said NO via referendum
5 countries: referendum postponed indefinitely!!! including UK.

so no one knows how many countries/people are pro EU. Im guessing the only reason why we wont ever know is because most people are against.
should most people be for, then they would hold the referendums.

so it looks to me like UK isnt the only country who has been dragged unwillingly into the EU.

spoiler on voting:
[spoil]JR, when you say we should get population to shop at one shop so that other shops bring their prices down, i appreciate you learnt your lesson when u attended economic classes as i did, but this is a statement worthy of a beautiful ideology such as communism.

like you say yourself, with "ifs"...

In real life, if we managed to get everyone to boycott any store (which would in itself be a miracle, fighting against lobbies tends to be quite difficult), what would happen and what we would see would be a price increase from all the shops that aren't being boycotted.
like i said it is all controlled by money, and those who run HUGE supermarket chains.

so there is no way you will bring me to believe that voting is in any way, a form of freedom.
that voting influences the political agenda is possible. but it certainly does not change anything for the individual. it only changes who gets rich over the next 4 years.
like i said, its only a veil to control the masses. as is our banking system.[/spoil]

now if you are not European then i couldnt care less what you have to say about Europe, whatever you have learnt about it will not ever compare to what we have learnt, and what we have witnessed.

UK was thriving before all of the EU changes.
If something works, why change it?
imo as i have spent most of my life in sales and marketing, i could bet that all of this is down to a few large backhanders. the only thing anyone in any government is concerned about.

such is reality of business.

DeletedUser16008

Hehe Victor (and Neo), if your best answer to the analogy of Iceland and HS' explanation regarding the GFC and economic mismanagement is "omg offtopic!", I think we can conclude that big bad nasty Euro was indeed not at fault at all. On the contrary, low interest Euro loans when coupled with to better regulation and non-corrupt government will do them a world of good - which may not have been so easy to obtain had Ireland still have a unique currency.

With regards to a vote over its currency, who forced anyone to vote yes? The Irish population could have continued to vote no should they have wished, more than likely to the detriment of their future economy all things considered. On the contrary, if the British Prime Minister held a vote over EU membership, would he be attempting to force Britain out of the EU? I thought regular referenda was right up on your agenda? ;) On that point, to you as well Neo, do keep in mind it is the responsibility of the member states' governments with regards to withdrawing from the EU and accepting the Euro. The EU is not forcing itself or it's currency onto anyone - allegedly your governments have or are.

Population - no time now, so a quick paragraph to support HS will have to do. From personal experience, second generation immigrants are often integrated into a culture and third generation immigrants are usually assimilated into the host culture. Whilst an immigrant usually retains their own culture and languages, their children learn both their heritage from their parents and local culture from peers. Going to local schools they also have a much better understanding of the language. When the grand children are born they grow up in an environment with (fluent) English speaking parents, and are immersed in local culture by both peers and parents. At least from personal experience, you over estimate how foreign these children and grandchildren may be ;)

Diggo you miss my points entirely and i have not even mentioned Iceland nor the Euro or monetary question this is a thread re the UK and Europe, not Iceland. I suggest you stop trying to bring in a minor point that is indeed well off topic. We are not discussing the Euro as a currency here or maybe youve misunderstood the thread entirely. HS is quite capable of debating his own points although again hes not qualified to understand the situation across the pond as I am not the internal politics of the US nor do I bow to a paper written by someone who like the majority of said University will ever be connected with whats going on in the real world of the layman.

In brief.

Ireland had a referendum

Treaty of Lisbon Only one member state, the Ireland, intended to ratify the Treaty of Lisbon through a referendum.

• 22px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png
    Ireland - 53.2% against (12 June 2008)
Since the vote by the Republic of Ireland on the Lisbon Treaty, the European Commission has stated that the Treaty would not force Ireland to change its view on issues such as abortion. The Irish voted again on the Lisbon Treaty on 2 October 2009. The vote was 67.13% in favour of the treaty.

Far as im concerned no was a no but of course that wasnt the answer required so it was polled again, had there been a second rejection no doubt it would have been done a third time.

The British people have been promised a referendum, to date no government has dared measure up to that promise... i wonder why ? Now certain parties are trying to circumnavigate that promise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11736570

In a nutshell

The government will be able to transfer some powers from Britain to the EU without a referendum under new proposals, despite promising the public would get to vote on any such move.
The new EU Bill says a minister will be able to simply state the transfer of power is not significant enough to merit a referendum in some cases.
Ministers will then be able to make the change by passing an act of parliament.

Re population ...

I have made it clear immigration and integration is not so much an issue as the amount we are getting in a short space of time.. do you even bother to read my posts or just scan for items you wish to debate ? the links will provide you with figures if you bother to look at them.

You are neither British nor a European i conclude so have no real opinion nor on the ground experience. What country do you hail from ? ill have a look into your record and see what pops up regarding integration etc if you like.

It would be good to hear from other British subjects or Europeans on this as at least there is an understanding of what is going on over here.

Try not to be brainwashed by the dogma taught in schools especially as Neo says the prestige ones. They are self serving to only a specific class, we all know that...

I have brought facts and figures to the table id like to see the benefits for the UK as to date i see absolutely nothing from anyone here :rolleyes: And dont give me the trade angle it benefits the people not one jot and was there already. One voice please who is British and has a good reason for staying in would be nice not those from other parts of the world who have no interest one way or the other.

Neos link

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...cation_Map.png says it all for me there is NO respect of the peoples wishes and indeed most countries have been railroaded in. This is no small thing when only 2 voted FOR it the other 11 were paid off or like Germany part of the set up thats obvious.... its more than that, its disgusting that they are clearly too scared to give the rest the vote... freedom of choice this is not in any shape or form, please argue the point I dare you because all i see is a power play to achieve what a war of conflict could not 50 years ago. Dramatic ? maybe but somehow i suspect its closer to the truth than not.