Evilution: the Descent of Man

DeletedUser

In responce to the whole "jsut a theory" thing.

Absolutly nothing beyond "I think therefore I am" can be proved, except in mathematics. But in practical science, nothing can be a theorum (proved theory). I belive in evolution, yet I also belive in a higher power which created life.

I think it's sad how pople must argue so stubbornly about this on either side. I've spoken to people who point blank refuse to lsiten to anythign that religion claims, despite the fact there is seriosu sence in it, and of course this applies visa versa.

However, I think that Justin is not helping his cause by repetivly being stubborn. If he really wanted to argue his point he should do so in a strucured debate - One where he makes a point, and attempts to prove it, then listens to critism, and takes that into account, and makes sure his argument takes into account all the evidence out there, for at the moment he appears to be ignoring the pro-evolution evidence.

As an aside though, to all the pro-evolutionists in here (of whomb i couln't myself one of, although I have some doubts), jsut remember that creationism made perfect sence before certain evidence came about, or seemed to. Perhaps in 100 years people will be laughing at the idea of it. Just rember that

I await the response.

DeletedUser

You need to read the "not just a theory thing" again. It's not saying it's a fact not a theory, it's explaining what a theory IS, namely not a "guess".

DeletedUser

That wasn't aimed at you :) I was mearly trying to re-enforce your point - that nothing can be proved, but the best thoery is one that takes into account all evidence

DeletedUser

Still, the word Theory, is never accepted as the synonym of Fact. For skeptical people, even theory is unaccceptable unless it has hard facts to prove is should be acceptable as is.

DeletedUser

The best theory, I agree takes into account all evidence, however remains a theory without all the evidences.

And for such reason, theory always remain a debatable topic, with many questions hanging.

DeletedUser

An undisscused and unquestioned theory is an unreliable theory, in my humble theory.

Of course, its also unreliable if it is questioned, and no awnser to the questions can be found.

Woo! arn't we all lil' philosphers

DeletedUser

I honestly see no difference in Christian creationism and creation theories of any other mythology.

DeletedUser

Possibly beacause they all originate from the same seed?

interpret that as you will

and actually, theya re different. it jsut so happens that all western religion stms from monotheism.

DeletedUser

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Zoroastrian! That's a figure of speech, not a ritual of Angra Mainyu, I swear!

DeletedUser

thats still not technically western...its persian - orginated in iran or someplace near there...

maybe i should correct myself...most popular western religions all orgininate from mmonotheism.

DeletedUser

Christianity is from the Middle East as well...Zoroastrianism is the first known monotheistic religion.

DeletedUser

actually tehre were egyptian ones...and christianity as a religion and a way fo life really kciked off udner roman rules - european. By the way, i define were it starts as wehre it took off. anyhow. what i was tryign to say is we all use the jewish story. happy?

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
The best theory, I agree takes into account all evidence, however remains a theory without all the evidences.

And for such reason, theory always remain a debatable topic, with many questions hanging.

The point is that the fact of evolution and the title 'theory of evolution' are different things, do you see where we're going?

--

A discussion should be where knowledgeable people discuss, we don't need these threads turned into lessons.

DeletedUser

It is called a theory, oisinallen; so don't refer to it as a fact.

You brought up that gravity is a fact and a theory. This is true because we know that we fall when we walk off a cliff, but we can't explain why; therefore, any explanation is still a theory.

However, we cannot observe evolution like we can observe gravity. Therefore, it is only a theory and is not a fact.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

See, there you go again. It IS a theory, but not ONLY a theory. A theory is NOT a GUESS!! When you say "only a theory" you are equating it to a GUESS. Do a little bit of studying up on the scientific method.

DeletedUser

Did you read my post?
I said that evolution is only a theory and not a fact because it has not been observed.

Why don't you try to defend youself instaed of allways attacking me?

DeletedUser

Because I can hear you thinking guess when you say theory.

Why did your god give the ability to reason if we aren't supposed to use it to observe the universe and make inferences?

DeletedUser

actually tehre were egyptian ones...

Zoroastrianism could well be over 12,000 years old. So that would be older than the Egyptian monotheisms. No one really knows exactly how old it is.

And just a comment: If Zoroastrianism is over 12,000 years old, then it is almost triple the age of the Earth - according to Creationists.

DeletedUser

Did you read my post?
I said that evolution is only a theory and not a fact because it has not been observed.

1. You use the term "theory" as though it means hypothesis. It does not.
2. You seem to have a limited understanding of what can be "observed".

Also, if you want people to discuss this with you, try to avoid spamming.