Entertainer Character Class

• Thread starter The Yellow Dart
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Entertainers played vital roles in shaping the old west's culture and economy. Musicians, Dancers, freaks in traveling shows and other similar characters are what most people spent their hard-earned money on. Even outlaws would hesitate to harm a chatty contortionist or musician, because of the stress release they provided!

I won't state the most obvious variety of "entertainer," as it may not be appropriate. :)

However, it would be great to see a fifth class... the Entertainer!

Description:

Entertainers live to show those around them a good time. Even the hardest of hearts revels in their company. The Entertainer class is good for players who enjoy frivolous spending and visiting distant places.

Ideas for the four sub-classes:

1. Musician
2. Magician
3. Dancer
4. Sideshow Performer

Class bonuses could be -- the ones I like most are in green:

1. Opponents may only challenge you to a duel once every 4/8 hours.
2. You receive a +10%/+20% bonus to your base Appearance skill in duels, applied before equipment bonuses.
3. Items purchased from foreign shops cost you 30%/60% less.

ALTERNATE BONUS IDEAS:

1. Items purchased from foreign shops cost you 25%/50% less. (revision to original)
2. The required level to equip clothing is reduced by 4/8 levels. (adjusted against Soldier's weapon bonus)
3. The difficulty level for jobs requiring Tactics or Appearance are lowered by 5%/10%. (even a 400 difficulty job still requires 360 labor points... not overpowered)
(OR)
4. Motivation for jobs requiring Tactics or Appearance regenerates 10%/20% more quickly.

No more dueling bonuses to be found, here, friends. :)
Thanks to Violette Violette LeDrunc for the suggested bonus improvements!

The bonuses I've suggested keep with the theme that towns like having entertainers around. Thanks to their wily ways, they are able to take on some tasks their peers cannot, and playing dress-up is just another part of a day's work. ;)

"Good" skills for Entertainers and related jobs could be:
Appearance
Tactics
Reflexes
Dodging
Stamina
Fine Motor Skills

Related jobs:
This class would beg for some great entertainer-centric jobs, like "Performing for Travelers," "Barker," "Performing for Merchants," "Performing for Aristocrats," "Rigging Skill Games" or even "Con-Artistry."

Anyone like my ideas for new jobs? I found a wiki article on John Weil, and was eerily fascinated. For some reason, I'm now dying to pull cons! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hmm perhaps if they aded mor ethan one new set then this would perhaps be worth adding.

DeletedUser

Class bonuses could be:

Opponents may only challenge you to a duel once every 4/8 hours.
You receive a +10%/+20% bonus to your Appearance skill in duels.
Items purchased from foreign shops cost you 30%/60% less.

No no no no no. You want to give them an appearance bonus in duels but players can only retaliate against them once every 4/8 hours? Hells no. Plus you want to give them a discount in shops? Are you out of your mind? I reject the entertainer class based on its bonuses alone.

DeletedUser

I wasn't expecting to from the title of the thread, but I like it. This is the first class suggestion I've seen that anyone put some thought into. I might find fault with some of the bonuses, but nothing is jumping out at me, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Dammit, I came in here ready to flame, what am I going to flame now? *eyes mw*

Edit: Okay, Denisero found fault, but one of them could be changed, probably the 4 hour rule.

DeletedUser

Only thing I dislike in there is the appearance bonus/no duel for 4/8 hours (the fact that they both are there)

DeletedUser

overpowered and if anything an entertainer would get a disadvantage in a duel

DeletedUser

The bonuses are merely examples.

I think shop discounts are perfectly feasible and wouldn't be any more beneficial to players than free hotel stays (for adventurers) or double tactics (for Soldiers). As a counterpoint to naysayers, I've saved literally thousands of dollars (perhaps $15k-$20k) in free hotel stays with my adventurer in World 1. Lowering the discount would be fine with me, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

An appearance buff is also not "ridiculous," as some people are suggesting. 10%/20% is not that much, for the record. Let's say a player has 75 appearance. With a premium account, their appearance would be upped to 90. Big deal, I say. Oh, and I meant to write "base Appearance." The percentage bonus would be applied BEFORE bonuses from gear.

Additionally, players can retaliate just fine. My bonus suggestion only applies to EACH individual player. If an entertainer angers a player or a town, its members can all gang up on the offender, KO'ing him/her with relative ease. Being able to retaliate once every 8 hours (with premium) is just as fair as high level duelers picking on workers who don't invest tons of skill points into tactics and spend all of their cash on gear that they can't even wear while working (efficiently).

Hardline duelists have an unfair advantage in The West. Their only purpose is to make cash (functionally) while simultaneously bullying players from opposing towns. Usually, the defenseless workers and adventurers are slaughtered again and again by such players. So... don't talk to me about what's "fair." A class with protection against being continuously farmed by an individual player isn't "overpowered."

I've put quite a bit of thought into the bonuses; although, like I said, they are merely suggestions -- suggestions which fit the description of the entertainer thematically (which is the point of bonuses).

I appreciate those who see the Entertainer's potential, and request that naysayers take an objective look at the bonuses (don't hate the bonuses because you love farming!!). :D

DeletedUser363

Hardline duelists have an unfair advantage in The West. Their only purpose is to make cash (functionally) while simultaneously bullying players from opposing towns. Usually, the defenseless workers and adventurers are slaughtered again and again by such players. So... don't talk to me about what's "fair." A class with protection against being continuously farmed by an individual player isn't "overpowered."
The only way I would allow this if the entertainer class was limited to one duel per 4/8 hours.

DeletedUser

So an entertainer can hit me 4x in 4 hours but I can only hit them back 1x? I'm sorry, I could be KO'd in 4 hits from one person. Utterly ridiculous. Everyone will choose entertainer class to become duelers. If you don't see what a horrible idea it is and how it throws the dueling out of balance I don't know what to tell you.

I'm all for more character classes. You want entertainer then fine. But I don't believe entertainers were known for dueling so any dueling skills should not be included in bonuses.

DeletedUser

Not sure how feasible this would be but what if the entertainer "duel" is actually called a "Con" instead. The Entertainer cant use weapons only class specific items such as "Two Headed Coin" or "Marked Deck of Cards". The Con would be resolved just like a duel but when it's over no one takes damage but the "Mark" looses money if the Entertainer wins. If the Entertainer looses however he/she has been caught cheating and does take damage. Like I said, not sure if this would take a huge programing change or not so I don't know if it is workable within the current framework of the game.

DeletedUser

Not sure how feasible this would be but what if the entertainer "duel" is actually called a "Con" instead. The Entertainer cant use weapons only class specific items such as "Two Headed Coin" or "Marked Deck of Cards". The Con would be resolved just like a duel but when it's over no one takes damage but the "Mark" looses money if the Entertainer wins. If the Entertainer looses however he/she has been caught cheating and does take damage. Like I said, not sure if this would take a huge programing change or not so I don't know if it is workable within the current framework of the game.

I don't think it's a horrible idea exactly, but it's not just a matter of programming problems, it's a matter of completely changing the mechanics of the game.

DeletedUser

So an entertainer can hit me 4x in 4 hours but I can only hit them back 1x?...it throws the dueling out of balance I don't know what to tell you.

I agree that entertainers shouldn't be known for dueling (although many historical figures in the old west started their dueling careers as entertainers of some sort, much like politicians do nowadays... lol).

I concede that many players would hate the fact that they can't barrage entertainers, so I proposed alternative bonuses in the original idea post: reducing the bonus to once every 1.5/3 hours.

Let's not forget that the developers would never allow an overpowered feature to make it into the game, so whether or not an individual aspect of the idea as-a-whole seems unfair, it shouldn't deter from the overall potential of the premise.

I do appreciate the feedback, however. :)

DeletedUser

I like the idea of more classes but the suggested advantages are clearly imbalanced. You can't give offensive and defensive duelling bonuses to the same class and expect it to fit well with the ones we already have.

DeletedUser

Now that I think about it, appearance makes sense superficially, but I don't think entertainers would be more likely to have a defensive bonus than offensive, but tactics is taken.

BTW...I have to respect anyone who quotes Seinfeld, but it should actually be "You mean the panties your mother laid out for you."

DeletedUser

Like all workers would be these guys lol, especially the no duelling 4/8 hours. Duellers nightmare.