Dueling needs some important changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Does anyone really read the help files?

And John you admit then it is Robbery and not dueling, so we agree.

:w MK

I say call it what you will.

I'm here to take your money and dignity you groveling dog of a worker!!

DeletedUser

Dueling is pathetic, it's stealing not dueling, plus it's poorly thought out, how can you go to a town and duel someone who's half an hour away branding cattle or breaking horses. At the very least you should have to be on the spot where the person is. On top of that the defender should automatically have his best dueling stuff on and you should be able to set dodging on random. I'm not against dueling, but what we currently have is a holdup not a duel.

Respectfully Merc.

I like that, yeah i will go with that, dueling is stealing. Thanks for making life allot more clear...

To be fair you do get goody two shoes that for some reason or the other do some gun work for people... why IDK, a fight is a fight, don't really care who is on the other side of the court as long as its a decent fight then I'm game with some $ in it. But i cant understand why you would chase down a target who is a few hours away if your not getting exp or cash off them... I love the dueling system personally and yes i have taken a beating in my day, but hey... its like pocker with some warning to it... (an add which i really am waiting for quite white knuckled)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

What if people located in town get a tactics bonus? of say... 3-5?
IDK, whatever seems mathematically feasible. semi4; no... the hotel should be a safe house, personally i don't agree with a word you said so far in this thread; duelers are in it for fame and fortune sunshine. If builders, adventurers, workers and questers purely invest in non-dueling skills then they should suffer the repercussions, just like how pure made duelers suffer the major decrease in jobs available and success at completing them.

Motivation runs out fast and recharges slow compared to the wide variety of jobs which can be done (each with their own motivation), if you got hit and lost a sack of cash, then its because whoever hit you actually has skill and knows what needs to be done.

I think people should cry less and look at the other side of the page before companing TBH, stops nieve comments and uneccessary changes.

x100000000.

I been saying this all along, though you put it across better. You want the advantages of being a pure build, but you must also suffer the disadvantages.

DeletedUser

Bigdawg, then why are the duellers not at the top of the rankings?

I am adventurer on World 2 and dueller on World 5.

Let me show you something. One day's earnings:

World 2 Adventurer
9 hours work.
XP: 305
Money: $107
Products: 2 Lasso ($16 each), 1 Hammer ($26), 1 Horseshoe ($15)
Items: 1 grey woolly hat (+8 Swimming or $45)

World 5 Dueller
8 Duels, all won.
XP: 138
Money: $137 (A good day)
Products: None
Items: None

Now, I earned more cash as a dueller but that was because:
1) I got lucky in my duels.
2) I won all of my duels.
3) I was working XP jobs, not money jobs

I also found $118 worth of products/items.

That is with an adventurer doing what he does best and a dueller doing what he does best.

How is this lopsided for duellers?

Also, I had to travel for 4 hours to reach my destination for duelling and 4 hours back. If I was to be duelled, my money is not safe. As an adventurer, I was never more than 30 minutes from town, so it's easy to run back and cash my earnings if I need to.

Who is at the tops of the rankings makes really has no bearing in this discussion. There are many other reasons a person can be at the top of the rankings, maybe they were one of the first persons on the server, or maybe they just have lots of time to log in and bank their money before some dueler takes it. The rankings have nothing to do with the argument that workers are at a severe disadvantage when it comes to dueling.

Also, when I work and do a job it does not affect other people, so whether I gain $10 or $90 for doing a job, it has no impact on you or anyone else. But as a dueler both people in the duel can be affected, so that’s why the system needs to be fair to each. So if as a dueler you get to choose your target, then I should get to choose to avoid you and not have to duel you if your level is much higher then mine. If you get a chance to but on your best gear for dueling, I should be afforded the same opportunity.

The premise of this post is to come up with ideas to make the game better for workers. If things like giving workers a warning, or making the range to challenge people closer to the defenders levels, or letting players have 2 sets of clothes negatively effect duelers making money then maybe here the game designers couldn’t make more jobs available to those that have dueling skills. The fact of the matter is that when I get dueled it’s not a fair fight, and on top of that I loose money.

DeletedUser

If you are saying things are unfair then how else do you measure it? Is it 'because you say so because you are king' or is it somehow measurable and have an independent reality? The best way to measure is to look at the rankings and they tell me that you are mistaken in your perception. The rankings have everything to do with the argument.

You say that workers are at a disadvantage in duelling. Well thank you oh sage for healing the cataracts on my blinded eyes. Don't you perhaps think that Workers are at an advantage in other regards or is that just too freaky a concept for you?

You can avoid duels, the counter strategies have been enunciated ad nauseum. All that is required for you to understand them is that you read the countless posts about this. There are also a number of proposals out there that address increasing your ability to defend yourself. Strangely those who moan about duelling are rarely active in those discussions.

As to the warning. I agree with that.

DeletedUser

Who is at the tops of the rankings makes really has no bearing in this discussion. There are many other reasons a person can be at the top of the rankings, maybe they were one of the first persons on the server, or maybe they just have lots of time to log in and bank their money before some dueler takes it. The rankings have nothing to do with the argument that workers are at a severe disadvantage when it comes to dueling.

Also, when I work and do a job it does not affect other people, so whether I gain $10 or $90 for doing a job, it has no impact on you or anyone else. But as a dueler both people in the duel can be affected, so that’s why the system needs to be fair to each. So if as a dueler you get to choose your target, then I should get to choose to avoid you and not have to duel you if your level is much higher then mine. If you get a chance to but on your best gear for dueling, I should be afforded the same opportunity.

The premise of this post is to come up with ideas to make the game better for workers. If things like giving workers a warning, or making the range to challenge people closer to the defenders levels, or letting players have 2 sets of clothes negatively effect duelers making money then maybe here the game designers couldn’t make more jobs available to those that have dueling skills. The fact of the matter is that when I get dueled it’s not a fair fight, and on top of that I loose money.

Well now, that is because you are not a dueller, you are a worker. If you are a dueller, then you will be a lot better at duelling.

You talk as if workers have it hard....but the reason workers cant duel is because theyre WORKERS. You choose to invest your skills one way, duellers choose to invest their skills another way. You should not punish someone because they have a different build.

However, the clothes option is the only fair way to settle this. A chance to put on youre duelling clothes, if youre online is fair.

The warning is definitely not fair for duellers as they will make a lot less money...and thats their only source of income. You have jobs, duellers have duels.

DeletedUser

There are several interesting threads regarding the unfairness of dueling and proposals on how to change dueling. How about this:

1. Person challenged to a duel receives a warning when the instigator hits the 'duel' button. This gives you 10m to get back to your town and in a hotel before the duel is over. If you can make it there in time then it will be as if the duel never took place as the instigator will receive a message stating you were in the hotel and well protected.
2. NPC dueling is initiated. See http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=10497 for ideas on that.
3. The players you can duel based on dueling levels gets tightened up a bit. I'm not sure what the range is now but lets say we tighten it up and take 5 levels off in either direction.

DeletedUser

There are several interesting threads regarding the unfairness of dueling and proposals on how to change dueling. How about this:

1. Person challenged to a duel receives a warning when the instigator hits the 'duel' button. This gives you 10m to get back to your town and in a hotel before the duel is over. If you can make it there in time then it will be as if the duel never took place as the instigator will receive a message stating you were in the hotel and well protected.
2. NPC dueling is initiated. See http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=10497 for ideas on that.
3. The players you can duel based on dueling levels gets tightened up a bit. I'm not sure what the range is now but lets say we tighten it up and take 5 levels off in either direction.

1: No, that wont work. When the person hits the duel button, they could be hours away. I think it should only be given on the 10minute mark. But if its as soon as you hit the duel button that wont work.

I like to set duels then log off. I dont have time to sit here, waiting for myself to travel somewhere just so i can hit the duel button then wait again til Im at the next town. That isnt practical. SHould be when the 10minute mark starts

3: Whats wrong with hitting people at higher levels than you? Shaving off 5 levels in either direction means less exp for the duellers who only attack people a lot higher than them. That means theyre atacking weaker people and causing more damage, meaning a lot more moaning.

--

To be honest, I dont see this stopping the moaning. I think SOME workers will moan and moan about duelling until its abolished from the game.

DeletedUser

I think that the only thing that will stop a lot of the moaning is to introduce NPC dueling and/or divorce dueling level from character level more and tighten up the level difference for fighting duels. As it stands, if you level up, your dueling level also levels up even if you haven't fought (instigated) any duels. Really, your dueling level should only go up if you've acquired some more dueling experience in that time period...

It seems bizarre that you get better at fighting even if you've not fought in the time period... OK, I suppose it could be argued that it's measuring your capability in a fight not your actual experience..

DeletedUser1105

NPC duelling should only be added ALONGSIDE the current duelling, not INSTEAD OF.

DeletedUser

NPC dueling need to be carefully thought out. There are ways already for dueler to acquire $$$ and exp, they just have to play smarter. It's the same for workers, if you play smarter, it's much less likely for you to lose a lot of $$$.

DeletedUser

It's either gonna be too remunerative and make proper duelling redundant or the other way round and not be worth doing. I got a baaaaad feelin bout dis.

DeletedUser

NPC dueling need to be carefully thought out. There are ways already for dueler to acquire $$$ and exp, they just have to play smarter. It's the same for workers, if you play smarter, it's much less likely for you to lose a lot of $$$.

Duelling, not really. If youre a pure dueller and focus on duelling (no skills in things like trading and shiz) not many jobs pop up until much later levels. And all builders have to do to not lose lots of $$ is to bank it AND donate it to their town.

All the times Ive won a lot of money in one hit has been because people didnt want to donate it to the town. Its their punishment. lol

DeletedUser

It's either gonna be too remunerative and make proper duelling redundant or the other way round and not be worth doing. I got a baaaaad feelin bout dis.

I agree Ulthor, but if it makes good old fashioned dueling out of fashion, then I will personally start a career as a bully. Twisting the arms of builders everywhere.

DeletedUser

Duelling, not really. If youre a pure dueller and focus on duelling (no skills in things like trading and shiz) not many jobs pop up until much later levels. And all builders have to do to not lose lots of $$ is to bank it AND donate it to their town.

All the times Ive won a lot of money in one hit has been because people didnt want to donate it to the town. Its their punishment. lol

Nobody is forcing you to be a dueler, adventurers can be dueler with right spec, duelers can be workers with right skills, etc. Granted, you lose your class bonus but nobody is forcing you to play one way or another.

http://www.weststats.com/index.php?page=jobs&filter=skill&skill=shot
http://www.weststats.com/index.php?page=jobs&filter=skill&skill=reflex

You can apply this to vigor, toughness, tactics, appearance. It's your choice how to distribute the points, don't blame others for your choices.

Workers who don't donate to town and choose to keep all their cash, being selfish, have no right to complain about the predators, those duelers come and rob him/her of those precious cash....TOO BAD, donate to town!

DeletedUser

Nobody is forcing you to be a dueler, adventurers can be dueler with right spec, duelers can be workers with right skills, etc. Granted, you lose your class bonus but nobody is forcing you to play one way or another.

http://www.weststats.com/index.php?page=jobs&filter=skill&skill=shot
http://www.weststats.com/index.php?page=jobs&filter=skill&skill=reflex

You can apply this to vigor, toughness, tactics, appearance. It's your choice how to distribute the points, don't blame others for your choices.

Workers who don't donate to town and choose to keep all their cash, being selfish, have no right to complain about the predators, those duelers come and rob him/her of those precious cash....TOO BAD, donate to town!

Lol i wasnt complaining read my post properly before you try giving me a lecture. :p I was saying if youre a pure something then expect the disadvantages. I expect mine and i learn to live with it. Dont be so condescending to me again, especially when you dont have the right -.-

DeletedUser

Lol i wasnt complaining read my post properly before you try giving me a lecture. :p I was saying if youre a pure something then expect the disadvantages. I expect mine and i learn to live with it. Dont be so condescending to me again, especially when you dont have the right -.-

hmm, I should't have quoted just you, should've quoted some of those duelers. Yeah, sorry about that, I'm just very tired of both sides who whine whine whine whine whine when the solution to some of their problems are already there.

DeletedUser

hmm, I should't have quoted just you, should've quoted some of those duelers. Yeah, sorry about that, I'm just very tired of both sides who whine whine whine whine whine when the solution to some of their problems are already there.

Quoted some others? Read my posts throughout the whole thread. In almost every post ive been yelling at the people who DO whine. :p

I agree though, there are very simple solutions out there but people are not willing to compromise. They want all the perks without the downsides.

Status
Not open for further replies.