Deadliest Warrior

DeletedUser

On Spike TV there's a show called Deadliest Warrior whose aim is to figure out who was the best warrior culture in human history through means of testing their weapons, fighting strategies, and mentality, then entering frivolous numbers into a computer program which they claim simulates the fight.

I, for one, don't buy this, but it's an interesting show to watch. Frustrating, but interesting.

Tonight's episode was an Apache v.s. a Gladiator.

Common sense would dictate that the gladiator would win. He obviously has better armor (whereas the apache has none), superior weapons, and was bred to kill. Unfortunately their faulty methods dictated that the apache reign supreme - an obvious testament to the fallaciousness of their simulation program.

Has anyone else seen this TV show? If so, please discuss this woo-woo fight "science" show.

DeletedUser

it sounds ok. I know there was a show kind of like that, about 7-8 years ago, were they would put animals up against each other.

I remebered one was a shark vs an alligator

shark won by attacking the soft underbelly of the alligator

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8950

On Spike TV there's a show called Deadliest Warrior whose aim is to figure out who was the best warrior culture in human history through means of testing their weapons, fighting strategies, and mentality, then entering frivolous numbers into a computer program which they claim simulates the fight.

I, for one, don't buy this, but it's an interesting show to watch. Frustrating, but interesting.

Tonight's episode was an Apache v.s. a Gladiator.

Common sense would dictate that the gladiator would win. He obviously has better armor (whereas the apache has none), superior weapons, and was bred to kill. Unfortunately their faulty methods dictated that the apache reign supreme - an obvious testament to the fallaciousness of their simulation program.

Has anyone else seen this TV show? If so, please discuss this woo-woo fight "science" show.
I hate those kind of T.V shows because they always use faulty methods as you said

DeletedUser

Yeah but an apache warrior trained from early on. if the two were out in the "field" so to speak the apache would own the gladiator through ambush techniques. In an arena, (which, btw, apaches fought in this atmosphere all the time using grapling and knife techniques) I still think the apache could win through quickness, stamina, and technique. It is a pointless show however because we will never really know the answer. Bruce Lee is still the king in my book.

DeletedUser

it is kind of like Rocky Balboa. with that simulation they did on who would win

DeletedUser

The Apache held out against the U.S. Army longer than any other tribes. It's very faulty if you put them in an arena and have them fight, no matter what the outcome, but if guerrilla warfare is allowed, the gladiator wouldn't have a chance.

DeletedUser

The Apache held out against the U.S. Army longer than any other tribes. It's very faulty if you put them in an arena and have them fight, no matter what the outcome, but if guerrilla warfare is allowed, the gladiator wouldn't have a chance.

Yes, yes. I do agree that if they had the chance to sneak attack and run away, they would definitely have the advantage there. That's the only way they would have the advantage. In an arena, I can't imagine how it would be possible for the Apache to win.

Yeah but an apache warrior trained from early on. if the two were out in the "field" so to speak the apache would own the gladiator through ambush techniques. In an arena, (which, btw, apaches fought in this atmosphere all the time using grapling and knife techniques) I still think the apache could win through quickness, stamina, and technique. It is a pointless show however because we will never really know the answer. Bruce Lee is still the king in my book.

I would argue that quickness, stamina, and technique are all skills which the gladiator also possessed. Remember, these are bred fighters whose sole purpose in life is to win fights to the death in a variety of different scenarios. They were accustomed to fighting wild animals, groups of other warriors, chariot warriors, etc. etc. Their armor alone should make a case for how ill-equipped an Apache would be in a face to face fight.

In the "computer reenactment" of the fight, it seemed as though the gladiator had no problem kicking the living hell out of the Apache, until he punched the Apache and for some reason turned his back on him. That didn't make sense to me at all. These were seasoned warriors whose whole existence was spent killing other people yet he managed to knock out an opponent and turn his back assuming the win?

DeletedUser8950

You need to re-read your history. Spartacus and 6600 followers were crucified.
Yeah. You deserve a history award;)
Sorry, for some reason I felt like trying sarcasm. I don't think it went to well...

DeletedUser

Never seen the program, but I expect they fail to take enough variables into the equation and decide whom is 'the best' by using too few scenarios.

DeletedUser

Divest, you are mistaken a little bit in your thinking. Most "Gladiators" were slaves. They weren't "bred" warriors, they either had to sink or swim in that regards. Some guy conquers your land, throws you in a ring with a spear, helmet and cod piece to fight a hungry lion or three or another guy like you. You never read about the gladiator that went 0-2.

DeletedUser

They were slaves, but they were well trained and well fed. There was a serious investment in them and they weren't just thrown away, and fights were not all to the death. That's a popular misconception, there were, in fact, gladiators who were 0-2.

DeletedUser

About the Apache vs the Gladiator, its a battle of 1000. The Apache had the greater win. The Apache has the knife, tomahawk, mace, and a bow and arrow. The Gladiator had the trident with net, scissor, boxing glove thing, sword, and something else I forget. The Apache won against a man who had heavy armor against a lightly armored man. Apache used a bow and arrow. If the Gladiator (cause not ALL used a shield) had no shield, your being riddled with arrows. Hmm Id be dead runnign in heavy armor against a guy who was the most SKILLED knife fighter and a VERY skileld archer.

DeletedUser

There were many different types of gladiator, and Apaches used rifles more than bows. No gladiator was armed with gunpowder. Gunpowder, steel, and horses used by a handful of men conquered the new world. The Apache had all those things.

DeletedUser

Alright, now that I've read a little bit more on the Gladiators, I have to agree that the Apache definitely had more of an edge than I originally gave them. It's still a tough call for me but I don't completely disagree with the outcome.

A more recent fight was a Samurai v.s. Viking. In the show, they tested several of the weapons that both warriors would use. In all the tests, the Viking weapons performed much better than their counterpart. The biggest sham was the fact that they gave the Samurai the advantage because of his bow and the only ranged weapon they gave the Viking was a spear. It was complete crap if you ask me. How can they possibly pretend that Viking's didn't have bows just so they could give the advantage to the more popular warrior? Anyways, the "simulation" took place and the Samurai ended up winning... despite the fact that this wouldn't have happened in real life. They did a simulation where the Samurai's sword couldn't even get through the Viking armor! Of course they continue to overrate Eastern warriors and give them both a fictional and mythical advantage over who clearly would have been the better warrior. They displayed the Viking's as moronic brutes who ran around smashing things with hammers and drooling all over the place while they displayed the Samurai's as super elite warriors who defied physics and possibility with their mystical fighting tactics.

After that I believe I saw what was a Pirate v.s. a Knight. Once again, they misrepresent one of the sides by portraying the knight as a turtle on his back with his armor. It was equally annoying when they displayed the pirate with multiple flintlock rifles and pistols which he carried around his waist and furnished on command... of course they fired instantly despite the fact that you couldn't carry them around loaded because the gun powder would easily leak out and cause the weapon to either misfire - or even more likely - not fire at all. If the gun misfired or the pirate missed with the bullet (which was likely to happen given the unreliability of those weapons) then the knight would surely dominate the pirate. It's hard to say who would win given the variable of the guns but they portrayed the flintlock as a modern gun which simply isn't true. They made the pirate a winner which again, is obviously the more popular choice. One thing I will add is that they didn't display the pirate as a brute, they portrayed him as the well trained soldier that they usually were.

Ninja v.s. Spartan was the next battle and in my opinion, one of the most annoying. They gave the ninja almost every single edge in all of the weapons and tactics. They simulated a battle not of stealth and surprise, but a one-on-one battle face to face. To think that the mythical ninja (who actually didn't exist one the scale that people believe - they were typically just farmers who would combat train with guerilla tactics) would have any kind of edge against the perfection of a warrior that was the spartan is just foolish. Spartans were an elite warrior culture; raised as children to become brutal warriors. I'm not going to be a hypocrite and overrate the spartans since I discredited the Samurai but it is historical fact that they were a trained elite warrior state. The ninja used things like eggs filled with chili pepper, nanchaku, and some other crap I can't remember. The spartan used more useful weapons like the spear and shield. In the end the spartan one because of the obvious advantages he had: a shield, the spear, and superior training. I agreed with the decision but didn't appreciate the fact that they called it a "close call".

There's more that happened but I'll write about those later. My hands are tired.

DeletedUser

Your right about some of it. But for example, gun and cutlass and grenado vs sword and crossbow. More advantage is given to said pirates because of advances. Now to go to the new ones

Green Beret vs Spetzsnaz or however you spell it. I watched it and it was pretty good. I give the edge to Spetzsnaz because they were trained better, while the American army is practically babied and not prepared for some of the most difficult crap you will see on the battlefield.

Yakuza vs Mafia. I give the edge to the Mafia. I like the Italians and hey, these guys have existed for a real long time and they arn't gonna go away. Yakuza well, the katana and the nun-chuks would be better used in torturing and not in a real fight. The baseball bat can be carried anywhere.You dont have to be worried about being arrested with a baseball bat.