Cloning

DeletedUser9470

How a simple question like "what do you think of the cloning of mammoths?" gets answers like "beware of raptors" is beyond me. i thought jurassic park was fictional, turns out its someones home made real life documentory!
What a way to find out!

on a serious note, it is in every human beings interest to research and to know. the more we know, the closer we are to answering the big question.

imo cloning and studying mammoths doesnt get us very far in our quest to answer that question and so thus imo is pointless.
maybe we will find out why these animals came to be extinct, although we are pretty sure already, the huge comet theory tends to answer most questions about the end of that era.
(for jack and diggo: WINK WINK! ;) ;))

we know how to clone since dolly and research in that domain can benefit our medical knowledge, i dont see how mammoths would help us out there. maybe a live mammoth can produce certain hormones to keep Gordon Ramseys hair from falling out! who knows?

Instead of being weary of some japanese guys cloning mammoths, we should be a lot more weary about other studies that are a lot more dangerous and a lot more relevant.

For instance check out what scientists are doing in switzerland:
Large Hadron Collider

This is the type of experiment they do, in very simple terms: they accelerate a particle one way, another particle the other way, as they go around they accelerate faster and faster and then collide.

Scientists "observe" the results and then perform a new test.
We know so little of this type of experiment that the range of possible outcomes is infinite.
Indeed, it ranges from "no result whatsoever" to "A huge black hole is created, the size of our universe, and we are all sucked in instantly"

Worrying about cloning mammoths is ultimately futile.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

( preemptive strike: if anyone wishes to further discuss the large hadron collider, please start a new thread so as to avoid derailing this one, thanks. )

DeletedUser

imo cloning and studying mammoths doesnt get us very far in our quest to answer that question and so thus imo is pointless.
maybe we will find out why these animals came to be extinct, although we are pretty sure already, the huge comet theory tends to answer most questions about the end of that era.

mammoths...comet...? I think you're off by ~65 Ma here.

Diggo11

Indeed, Neo has evidently done his research :rolleyes:

A quick Google search would inform you that the mammoth is believed to have become extinct around 10 thousand years ago, whilst dinosaurs became extinct some 65 million years ago. Nor did their death have anything to do with a comet, in a nutshell the believed causes were primarily an intolerable warming climate and human hunting.

Similarly, reanimating a mammoth is hardly useless. I think Hellstromm put that well back on page 1:
A living specimen provides ample opportunity to examine the facets of a creature, both physical and behavioral. It will allow scientists to develop their skills at performing such actions. The reanimation of creatures is much easier than reanimation of plants. It is a greater goal to do the latter, as there are great opportunities to open up new avenues of research, medicinal purposes and otherwise.

DeletedUser9470

mammoths...comet...? I think you're off by ~65 Ma here.

pahahaa, english sarcasm pwns!

Indeed, Neo has evidently done his research :rolleyes:

A quick Google search would inform you that the mammoth is believed to have become extinct around 10 thousand years ago, whilst dinosaurs became extinct some 65 million years ago. Nor did their death have anything to do with a comet, in a nutshell the believed causes were primarily an intolerable warming climate and human hunting.

Similarly, reanimating a mammoth is hardly useless. I think Hellstromm put that well back on page 1:

aaa the irony of people who dont have the ability to sense sarcasm.
when they dont understand a joke they have to turn around and give you a factual lesson on crap you dont give a monkey about...
:rolleyes: OMG i can do it too!

like i said in my first post, how anyone would relate cloning mammoths to cloning dinosaurs is beyond me....
hang on again, :rolleyes:
;)

Cloning mammoths will not advance us in any way in terms of getting a worthy result.
as an example, what do we know about elephants?
we know their lifestyle
we know how the communicate
theyre getting very scarce
theyre good at doing hard work in countries like india.
some people love having an elephant tusk ash tray to show off to their equally disgusting posh friends.

has knowing that given us a cure for cancer?
has it stopped gordon ramseys hair falling out?
has it given us the ability to travel in time?
has this brought peace and justice to all mankind?
has this answered what the meaning of life is?

so seriously, why the heck are we spending so much effort, time and money on trying to make a mammoth live?

hideous.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser22575

when they dont understand a joke they have to turn around and give you a factual lesson on crap you dont give a monkey about...

like i said in my first post, how anyone would relate cloning mammoths to cloning dinosaurs is beyond me....
hang on again, :rolleyes:
;)

Cloning mammoths will not advance us in any way in terms of getting a worthy result.
we know their lifestyle
some people love having an elephant tusk ash tray to show off to their equally disgusting posh friends.

so seriously, why the heck are we spending so much effort, time and money on trying to make a mammoth live?

hideous.

I am going to pretty much have to agree with Neo except for what I have in bold and the associated comments that go along with that.

I see a big difference in cloning a sheep, and trying this with everything involved with it. And until we have tried it, until it has went through the research process we don't know what we will learn from it.

And while I will agree their is limited use for a mammoth, and even elephants in todays world even the remotest possibility of one new break through, one new advancement in cloning development that might be useful for growing new skin, organs, etc, make this research worthwhile.

DeletedUser9470

i agree TJ it is only a means by which we can learn more about cloning and growing organs etc, the objective being the ultimate human clone.
this debate goes back a long way and is in no relation to the type of animal being cloned.
why dont they clone monkeys who have very similar dna to us? maybe thats already been done?
i still see no point in cloning mammoths, why not just go straight for the human clone?
that is a very controversial subject, the quest of the holy grail, eternal life.
one day man will have to accept that he will die.

in the meantime, i cant wait to see Man u playing with 11 wayne rooneys!
XD

Diggo11

Ah I get it, all the stuff after your "on a serious note" was meant to be absolute rubbish, just like the hilarious joke before it. Thanks for clearing that up...

Let's see it then, because so far all you've posted unsubstantiated thoughtless opinions with no logical basis nor reputable supporting sources.

So, I guess to my argument then.
we know their lifestyle

hideous.
Erm, did you even read this thread?

Scientific Method
The practise of cloning any life form is an opportunity at trialing and improving scientific method used in the cloning process. Whether you clone a lion using a tiger or a mammoth using an elephant is irrelevant, it is the process that is important.

By refining the scientific method used to clone the mammoth, we can then expand the science to clone other mammals, and eventually a broader range of animals. You don't expect scientists to clone human beings, one of the most "sophisticated" forms of living animals, overnight do you?

Eventually, if society permits, an improved scientific method would potentially enable us to clone both plants and human beings for medicinal and health purposes respectively. And it will all have started with these small experiments cloning bacteria, lab rats and (in this case) mammoths.

The mammoth
In your rediculous comparison, you expect too much from knowing the traits and characteristics of a mere mammal. Which branch of science do you expect will magically cure severe human diseases, allow time travel, bring human peace and define you the meaning of life? Nothing. Does that make any or all elements of science obsolete or "futile"? Of course not. It is the accumulation of each small individual puzzle pieces that will bring such a future you desire.

But allow me to give you an example anyway. Take a hypothetical first scientist studied a colony of bees. What do you think will come of it; what does society think will come of it? nothing. He then studies their behaviors (pattern of flight) to design an aircraft and their anatomy (characteristics) to develop an efficient way of mass producing 'natural' honey. What do you think of him now. How do you know what studying a mammoth will produce in terms of short term discoveries? How can you dismiss the entire thing as irrelevant to long term science?

Fallacy
Your elephant argument fails.