Classical Music and Modern Culture

DeletedUser563

only snobs listen to classical and its extremely boring. your entitled to your opinion i to mine.

DeletedUser16008

only snobs listen to classical and its extremely boring. your entitled to your opinion i to mine.

And having no attention span or understanding of music would of course lead you to such a conclusion. In fact many artists use classical composition and rip off elements or compositions and incorporate them into their own creations in order to add depth, substance and sell records. Do yourself a favour and expand your little world sometime.

Im no classical buff but its easy to appreciate the quality and depth of some of it, once I grew up a bit I realised how central it is to a lot of music and in fact you will like some of it if you just realised how much of it is around you other than the obvious. Many film scores and programmes use it for its emotional content rather than say pop for a reason. Cant see the charge of the light brigade or James bond set to highschool musical or yello :laugh:

As for the snob comment thats just ridiculous youve been reading smash hits too much and many in the music industry are classically trained before they even set out on a musical career. Especially rock music as an example, hardly snobs and probably some artists you listen to, you just don't know it. Which is not surprising.

DeletedUser563

I was merely stating my opinion. Although there maybe some classical elements fused into pop music that does not mean that the pure form of the music isn't boring for me. That was just an opinion. Furthermore to bring this to topic I am not a mainstream listener of music so if it is boring to me it will be boring to many or most young people and this is why it should try and keep its niche position in music. I dont see record companies trying to sell pop music to older people and I dont think they should try to sell classical music to the young it would be just a waste of time.

DeletedUser28032

I dont see record companies trying to sell pop music to older people and I dont think they should try to sell classical music to the young it would be just a waste of time.

Thats because those are the wrong target demographics, they don't aim pop music at people in the 40+ bracket because generally its not what they like the same in reverse for classical music not because one genre or the other is rubbish and should be packed away into it own little niche so as to keep it out of the way, after all we wouldn't want anybody to accidently discover blues music now would we :rolleyes: .
Also conversly nobody is actually actively trying to sell Classical music to young people.

As for the snob comment thats just ridiculous youve been reading smash hits too much and many in the music industry are classically trained before they even set out on a musical career. Especially rock music as an example, hardly snobs and probably some artists you listen to, you just don't know it. Which is not surprising.

Yeah i've got to agree with that I know of several rock artist who were classically trained and if you look at the likes of Genesis and Marillion you can hear the classical music influences in their music and they can be just as complex as a classical music piece.
As for the snobby bit....well that depends on the band really.

DeletedUser

Have the breadth of mind to realise that even if you are bored by something, that does not make it objectively 'boring'. And of course, an opinion is only worth the knowledge that it is based on.

Even if you've developed an aversion to the very idea of classical music, try giving up five minutes of your, doubtless, busy life to watching this link. It may open up a window in your mind that will give you years of enjoyment that you would never have dreamt of. And, if it doesn't, what have you lost by listening?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OvsVSWB4TI

Here's the same piece given the Hollywood treatment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwZkgiTl1X0

Classical music does not easily lend itself to the short attention-span, sensational and easily-accessible stimuli of modern culture, but boring? I guess that depends on you.

DeletedUser

I think a lot of people (especially kids) would be lost without classical music; most cartoons would be fairly silent... maybe not quite as many today, but almost all of the old favorites.

DeletedUser

Many kids these days would never dream of listening to classical music instead they would only listen to pop music or what the society listens to.

DeletedUser

Meh, my parents exposed me to classical and a lot of kids are exposed to classical through band, ballet, and other music-dependent activities. Let's not also forget so many movies that utilize variations on classical music for the best scenes.

DeletedUser

I used to be in a choir therefore i was exposed to a lot of classical music :)

DeletedUser

Most people should stick to Mozart and Bach anyways since everyone knows them. Leave the Schoenberg to those who wish for more intellectual stimulation. :p

Choir is great for learning sight-singing which helps for composing or even just being able to play a song 'by ear.' Of course, you wouldn't know that if you just assume choir is for girls/effeminate guys. It's a great way to hone your auditory skills.

edit: http://phys.org/news/2012-07-music-louder.html