Chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser1105

Why the ponytails? Are the chinese famed for thier ponytails?

I'm all for additional avatars, but I don't think it needs to be in a way of 'We need 4 asian characters' or 'We need 4 conjoined-dyslexic-diabetic-morbidly-obese-albinos'.

It doesn't need to turn into a race issue, just a call for more avatars.

DeletedUser

'We need 4 asian characters' or 'We need 4 conjoined-dyslexic-diabetic-morbidly-obese-albinos'.

Aww, come on, those 4 morbidly obese albinos would be so awesome!

I'm sure the dutch would love 'em.

DeletedUser

Perhaps in each character class, there is a sub-section for "origin", which gives no benefits. Like for example Character Class -> Worker -> Quaker -> Chinese (Monk)

DeletedUser

I think that the chinese should only be in worker class. There is no need to change the history.

DeletedUser

so you are also going to need a female Chinese character. Try and do that one without being racist or sexist. Also apparently homosexuality was very common in these male only environments.it's gonna be the cast of village people if we don't draw the line somewhere.

DeletedUser

lol yes they will... I am chinese myself and I opt for the idea but the problem is, ive alredy picked my avatar

DeletedUser1105

But then where is the japenese character? The british one? The french one? The african one? The eskimo one?

Please stop this silliness!

DeletedUser

I can say that there were NO eskimos in the West at that time, and little japanese, so little no need for character, Yes, we should add "runaway slave" character and if you were british, I'd opt for the mortician grave-digger guy far right in workers. I also doubt there were french in the west, and I also doubt that a highly civilized french would want to go to a dusty, dangerous place.

DeletedUser

Moron.

Noone said anything about samurais, wich are Japanese.

Ever heard about immigration?

who you calling a moron,moron?!

Go and play a little sims in chinese version if you like chinese so much,and let this be THE-WEST!and not "The-West invaded by chinese guys"

DeletedUser

Let's discuss this idea properly, rather than flaming and insulting please.

DeletedUser

Understood, Gem.

Mmm, before I join in this discussion, mind if I clear something up for myself? The main points opposing this idea:

1. The Chinese and The West are two different things and should not be mixed

2. If the Chinese were included, then why about other races, etc.

Would that be correct?

DeletedUser

Haha, you won't hear any insults from me anyways, that's for sure. I think that a little history lesson would clear this all up.

Lecture

From my knowledge, the first influx of Chinese immigrants coming into America was in 1848, during the California gold rush. I'm sure everyone has at least heard of that. They went there because of both economic and political problems back at the homeland. Between that time and 1900, over 300,000 Chinese immigrants moved over to America. Only a tiny, tiny percentage were women. And out of that small group, most of these females became prostitutes.

The Chinese were not only part of the gold rush, they were also part of building railroads. In fact, large railroad companies exploited them as a massive cheap labor force in laying down the tracks, digging into mountains, and other work that sent tens of thousands of Chinese to their death. These transcontinental railroads bounded America together physically and helped shape America into what it is now today.

I think it's safe to assume that the West and the Chinese are complementary to each other. Phantomn, does this clear things up? Or do you have anything to add?

DeletedUser

wow in one day that i went out for the weekend this thread really got booming. i see alot of negitive response and some positive but alot of you are crying out for difrent races other then chineese? i mean its a suggestion for heavens sakes im not pointing a gun 2 ur head and saying do this or u die? and ill think up for some female characters if it makes some of you happy

Diggo11

I think we've established there were Chinese workers, right? And if there is a Chinese worker we need a female character however unrealistic this is.

So perhaps we should make avatars from other races who were also there.

ADVENTURER - FRENCH
If you read your history books the French in America were actually merchants and hunters who obtained and sold rare fur and other natural beauties back to Europe. (Thanks to my year 8 history teacher)

DUELLER - CANADIAN?
N/A

WORKER - CHINESE
Flocked all over the world during various Gold Rushes, and assisted building the Western side of the transcontinental railroad as written above. Generally exploited as cheap and hard working labour.

SOLDIER - BRITISH
Although not major occupants of the West side of America did play the biggest roll in terms of soldiers.

DeletedUser

Some thoughts

Polk's ( UN-Mexican War, Gadsen Purchase) platform was 54'-40' or fight that would have put the US norther border around the bottom of Alaska.

The Northwest territoy (the present day Washington, Oregon, Idaho, part of N California and ill fated state of Jefferson) was highly contested by the US, UK, and Russia. War of 1812.

There was a later gold rush in Canada's NW Territory (when it was still a crown colony). The Candadian Royal Mounted Police kept much better order than that seen in the 1849 US California gold rush.

Also, even though slavery was illegal in California many Souther slave holders broght slaves with them when looking for gold.

Freed slaves also worked in Federal Indian Territories as lawman (cheaper pay).

And most women on the frontier, while keeping jobs as seamstress, and launderer also supplemented their income with less wholsome avenues of employment.

Okay,
Brings in

Russian: Adventurer and possibly Builder.
Canadian: Soldier and Builder.
Brit: Builder.
African: Builder and Soldier/Dueler.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.