Bible Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Thats like somebody saying oh France beat Italy in the match yesterday (even though he doesnt have sufficient evidence) and the other person saying
NO THEY DIDNT, (having no evidence at all)

DeletedUser

Thats like somebody saying oh France beat Italy in the match yesterday (even though he doesnt have sufficient evidence) and the other person saying
NO THEY DIDNT, (having no evidence at all)

What exactly are you ranting about?
If they played a match of soccer there will be ample evidence of whom won.
Your comparison is ludicrous.

DeletedUser

I like ludacris look him up on youtube, he aint bad

But my point is, they people didnt know who won... like we dont know if god exists (I believe in god mind you) but their is evidence to find we just havnt found it

Like the too people havnt found out who won the soccer game

So there is ample evidence, we just havnt found it yet

DeletedUser

Not a reasonable comparison Macky. While there is ample evidence to demonstrate that the vast majority of stories in the Bible are not literal, and that many events presented in the Bible are heavily embellished, belief in and of itself has no evidence, for or against.

Simply stated, there is no way whatsoever for anyone, anywhere, at any time, now or in the future, to prove, or provide evidence for, or against, the existence of God. People will BELIEVE whatever the hell they want to believe, and that's their prerogative. My only issue is when those beliefs are used for selfish ends, are used as justification for hate, prejudice, and the sponsorship of ignorance, are used to hardship the lives of others, are used to condemn people for crimes non-existent in Man's law, are used to try to institute their distorted perceptions of right & wrong into the framework of their Nation's laws. Man's laws are geared to protect the citizenry, but unfortunately we are repeatedly finding special interest groups, particularly Christian groups, interposing their obstructionist views into the laws of Man.

So, if you rely on a 2000 year old book, written by bronze age men in togas, to dictate to you what is right and wrong, expect to end up with a very primitive, and grossly ignorant, culture.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The reason why the bible says that the earth was created in 7 days is that it was written 2000 years ago. People needed at least somekind of concept about how this planet came to be. If Jesus would have born yesterday, then maybe the bible would be taling about dinosaurs instead.

DeletedUser

Umm, no eliel, it was written that way because it was written 2000 years ago by people who didn't know crap, and thus made things up. If God had been there to dictate how it was to be written, you don't think he would have educated the people that the world was actually billions of years old and that dinosaurs roamed the Earth, and that man is in fact at the present evolutionary stage of a particular form of primate? We come to these answers through research and investigation, not through dogmatic denials. It is, in fact, the deniers that have repeatedly undermined the expansion of man's knowledge and personal growth. It is indeed religious deniers who orchestrated the death and destruction of minorities, outcasts, and entire cultures. This is the contradiction, the argument of context, for when man stands here and claims "right under God" when in fact they have done so much wrong. Indeed, the Old Testament shows centuries of vicious criminal acts for which Christian apologizers will quickly claim are necessary evils committed by their one true God.

And another thing --- I repeatedly hear Blondie claim that the contradictions presented are taken out of context. Well that's just a crap argument. They are in context when demonstrating contradiction, and in fact, it is the actions of people like Blondie that take things out of context all the damn time. For example, in another thread he posed a line that was out of context of all the other writings to claim that homosexuality is condemned by Christianity. When I hit him with the Greek word, he posed a false translation of that word when, in actuality, the translation is more along the lines of sodomy, not homosexuality (in truth, it is a word in ancient Greek, lost in time, and thus a direct and reliable translation is not available). But, more to the point, he pulled it out of context did not include that the same line essentially condemned drunks, liars, fools, thieves and tricksters, which pretty much puts every Politician and Wall Street executive in Hell (not to mention Blondie, for how he's demonstrated himself to be in these forums). He also failed to demonstrate the greatest argument, which is that believers are constantly posing obstruction to gays being allowed to live normal lives, to women being allowed to have equal rights, to abuse of women and children being reported. So when he claims he's just stating what's in the Bible and not wishing to pose his views on others, he's being dishonest (liar), precisely because Christians work as a group to impose their views on others.

So, when we discuss these things, and we come to some contradiction in the Bible, claiming that it is out of context, and yet being hypocritical by posting things "out of context" in response to other arguments, there's a degree of trickster in such actions, which Blondie has repeatedly demonstrated. Finally, we come to the other issue, which is that hate is repeatedly condemned in the New Testament, and yet Blondie repeatedly presents himself as hating this or hating that, condemning this or condemning that, which also plays into the New Testament's statements that only God should judge, and yet judgment is exactly what is committed by Blondie and so many other fundamentalist Christians, LDS, JW, or otherwise.

DeletedUser

But women are cherished in our beliefs, despite your bias opinion, however since men were given dominant authority in the scriptures, thus we follow the same course that the Bible set out. But do not confuse not giving them the same authority as men, as looking down upon them. Women are in some cases glorified in the Scriptures, therefore women are given much honor.

I don't care what else is written in this thread. I can't even be bothered reading the rest of this thread. The above quoted statements demand my attention.

I will not be cherished. I will not be put on a shelf and brought out to occasionally be admired and perhaps played with as a precious china doll. I will not be glorified, if doing so means that I cannot be mundane when I choose to be. And, above all, I will not be made to feel that I am, in any way, subservient and unable to be in a position of authority over men. I have worked hard all my life to fight stereotypes. I have encountered workplace sexual harassment and have fought against it along with other women of my generation. I still encounter men who seem to think that, because I am a woman, my voice and my actions carry less weight than a man's. And, coincidentally, these men are almost always "religious".

And don't you try to confuse anyone, Blondie. By telling me that I do not have authority over men, you are saying I am less than a man. And that is most definitely looking down on me. And is not in the slightest bit honourable. It is demeaning and needs to be challenged by every woman that you meet.

DeletedUser

betsy-1.png

DeletedUser

I still encounter men who seem to think that, because I am a woman, my voice and my actions carry less weight than a man's.

I hate to tell you this, but it's not just men who think that way. I've often worked in traditionally male jobs, and I've had almost as many women as men say they didn't think I should be doing a "man's" job. I always told them that it wasn't a man's job, it was mine.

DeletedUser

There are always going to be those women who are browbeaten from an early age to believe they're supposed to be barefoot and pregnant, and/or Barbie dolls. I consider them victims, not naysayers.

DeletedUser

First off, contrary to popular False religious and Creationists beliefs, the Earth was not created in 7, 24-hour days. It cleary took thousands of years, based on how all the things came into place. Such as in Genesis 1:3, "And God proceeded to say, "Let light come to be." Then there came to be light.

Does....God...talk....really....slowly?

yeah, but a royal flush comes from chances of 52 cards, the universe and what happend with it come from over a hundred trillion possibilities, you're illustration is not comparable.

Drake's Equation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

Read it, it's a classic refutation of your point. Read it yourself, I see no need to educate you on that which you should already know, given the framework of discussion you have started.

DeletedUser10480

Wrong, Hellstrom. There is such a thing as a Critical Atheist. He is one who not only does not believe in a god but denies it based upon the characteristics given to such a claim that he believes to be not true.

For example, I do not believe in the existence of someone that assassinated Abraham Lincoln in 500 BC. He was not alive then and therefore could not have been killed.

DeletedUser

I believe in the theory of evolution although I am actually Christian and I believe in God. I agree with some of the others, that things in there do not have to be taken literally but even without literal comprehension, I still think there are lessons to be learned in spite of so many others calling the Bible primitive just because some others told them it is primitive.

I think anyone has his reasons to believe or not. That is the point.

DeletedUser

I've always viewed the bible as a guide to those who need one. Faith is powerful and can help provide foundation and strength to those who exercise it. However, blind, unquestioning faith that is promoted as the best and ultimate achievement for those in many organized religions has brought forth death, destruction, and general malaise on fellow mankind on a scale that's just as difficult to comprehend as the odds of random chance leading to my existence in front of this computer keyboard.

I consider myself agnostic. I feel there is very likely a meaning and a power behind our lives that we cannot measure or examine with our current understanding, but I doubt that a singular construct is responsible for all of the examinable universe (including galaxies that are mere dust specs on our most powerful telescopes). Faith does not require religion. Most organized religions do not espouse honest faith, in my view. That is what leads me to be very wary of most religious people that I knowingly encounter. I believe faith is a personal value, and as such, when you share it with me without first having been asked for details, it perverts that value into something that is trying for validation through acknowledgment, acceptance, or expansion.

I can appreciate the rights of people to gather and share their faith. I even respect those who go so far as to worship communally, as in most churches, though part of me feels wary of these activities and always will due to reasons I've already laid out.

DeletedUser

This probably would warrant another thread, but I've always been interested in the difference between Jehovah's Witnesses and traditional protestants. My dad always talked about how he loved to argue with the JW's, and I never understood what the difference was between his beliefs and theirs.

DeletedUser

This probably would warrant another thread, but I've always been interested in the difference between Jehovah's Witnesses and traditional protestants. My dad always talked about how he loved to argue with the JW's, and I never understood what the difference was between his beliefs and theirs.

That is an entirely different topic, and if you don't get the differences then you ought to educate yourself on the subject.

DeletedUser

That is an entirely different topic, and if you don't get the differences then you ought to educate yourself on the subject.

Well, being as I'm a lazy person, I was hoping that someone would do the research for me. Oh well, I guess I'll look it up when I get home later.

DeletedUser

Wow , after all this time being away from the forums Blondie still thinks he/she knows what is actually in the Bible.

The original language the manuscripts were written in actually have quite a bit of things different then what you would read in the English. Blondie uses a translation of a translation of a translation. Epic Fail.
I am a Christian and I know the Earth is billions of years old. The Bible speaks of this fact.

All in all , be what you want to be , believe what you want to believe. Its your walk through this life. Blondie I really wish you could get it through your thick head you are doing more bad than good.You are pushing people away from Christianity by telling them things that simply are not true.

As far as men in this world , they might have been self proclaimed Christians but you can't blame that on Christianity or God. They were just stupid men.
Besty I absolutely applaud you for your post women are not meant to be trophies, most have a stronger backbone in character and personality than the majority of men. As far as the opinion of a "soul" , I think the stronger souls are women. Plenty of examples in the Bible about women being a better teacher of the Word.

Nice to read all of the comments , it was entertaining :)

DeletedUser9470

religion is clearly absolute nonesense.
last year, in january, my mate walked on this lake! some passing by said he was ice something! anyway he didnt even fall through!
clearly he was a superbeing and i asked him if he knew who invented the universe.
this is his answer:
"yer man, hang on ill just finish off these drugs...
yer i created the whole lot:
see my hair?
smoke it its weed!"

Since, I told all my other mates and they told their mates and now the whole country knows the truth.
Were now educating emissarys to come to your home and show you the right path of the lord. soon the planet will know the way!
across the ice!
lucky we are intelligent enough not to believe those scientists!
2+2=4! they must be having a laugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.