Advertisements do more harm than good

DeletedUser

Is having widespread advertising good for a society?

And what about advertising that is aimed towards children? Should there be a ban on this type of advertising?

DeletedUser9470

Is having widespread advertising good for a society?

And what about advertising that is aimed towards children? Should there be a ban on this type of advertising?

advertising is not needed by society. the main issue is understanding what effect this has on us. advertising isnt any different from the good old propaganda.

it could be dangerous for those who do not understand it, because i understand it for me it is only a waste of space
some are more receptive to it than others, if an advert manages to entice adults into suiciding, then I wouldnt have any problems with that and would call it "natural selection".

however if it entices social unrest and anti social behaviour then it is bad
which is why advertising is scrutinised and approved by censor bodies.

you however bring up the problem of targeting kids in advertising who are a lot more receptive.
children dont know any better and in a way its like raping their minds and implanting a certain way of thinking.
the consumer society way of thinking...
which leads to every 10 yr old at school walking around with a brand new i phone 4gs pressurised and bullied by peers into getting the latest...

personally i think advertising is a waste of space and should be completely banned.
i know a good product when i see one. i know a good beer from tasting one...
i dont need adverts trying to convince me otherwise.

DeletedUser

Ads should be there to inform me of the existence of a product/service and stop there. Spamming is bad.

DeletedUser28032

it could be dangerous for those who do not understand it, because i understand it for me it is only a waste of space
some are more receptive to it than others, if an advert manages to entice adults into suiciding, then I wouldnt have any problems with that and would call it "natural selection".

I can't say i've ever seen an advert thats encouraged me to kill myself however i'd say that falls under the same category as "Grand theft auto encourages me to run people over" or "Judas Priest made those people commit suicide" there has got to be something fairly wrong with you or be under the influence of something before anything like that would take hold, so personally i wouldn't worry about that.

What i don't like is having it rammed down my throat everywhere i go, yes i feel that you need adverts in order to inform you what products are actually out there, it would make no difference how good the product is if nobody knew that it existed and word of mouth only works so far.
As for targetting children personally i believe that its up to the parent to say yes or no on whether or not their child is alowed something.

DeletedUser16008

I can't say i've ever seen an advert thats encouraged me to kill myself however i'd say that falls under the same category as "Grand theft auto encourages me to run people over" or "Judas Priest made those people commit suicide" there has got to be something fairly wrong with you or be under the influence of something before anything like that would take hold, so personally i wouldn't worry about that.

What i don't like is having it rammed down my throat everywhere i go, yes i feel that you need adverts in order to inform you what products are actually out there, it would make no difference how good the product is if nobody knew that it existed and word of mouth only works so far.
As for targetting children personally i believe that its up to the parent to say yes or no on whether or not their child is alowed something.

When something becomes so ingrained so every day it becomes the norm. This is the advertising media world, whether it sells you a car, a phone, a policy, or a politician its all designed to enhance and sell that product. If euthanasia became legal you can bet they would advertise that too.

Personally I have every pop up blocked and all adverts zapped, filters all over the place on e mail and it still gets through..... I agree it is down to the parents to say yes or no but it is easy to say and very hard to do. The young get sucked in as fast and easy as anyone and seeing as they have no income or responsibilities they lack understanding and the value of money....

To answer Iggy Yes id like to see ALL advertising aimed towards children below 12 years old banned. Its a way of getting at the adult through emotional blackmail and frankly disgusts me.

DeletedUser15057

Some types of visual advertising, not based around electronic media, for e.g. flyers or ads in newspapers are OK as they are able to be self regulated if you are looking at protecting your kids from their influence. Plus it is a good way for a consumer to choose what they do or don't want to look at depending upon their interests.

However by far the biggest problem is controlling unwanted images that are provided through electronic media, ranging from games, devices, PC, etc.
Sure filtering and blocks will take you so far, but there is still tons of crap advertisement, spam, and scammers that finds their way through. That is a war in itself to keep them at bay.

Plus there is the most insidious, invasive issue that we now have with electronic based advertising images every where you look, on the sides of buildings/buses/cabs/hoardings/windows as you walk through the streets of the city.

It is a huge marketing war going on out there in the streets, with advertisers fighting over every spare visible surface in which to lay their multi-million dollar message. Short of banning your kids from going into the big city or walking the streets with a blind fold on, it is not easy to avoid those messages.

The marketeers are continually on the lookout for new ways to invade your private space, and it would not surprise me if 'pop-ups' suddenly appear on the inside of my sunglasses one of these days.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
I think advertising is important, it's how I find out most things exist. Listings of companies is still advertising and my friend telling people where they're selling epic zombie fighting weaponry in a vlog might be advertising too.

I want advertising to be restricted in some areas, ideally keeping billboards and flashy things to the physical high street market place and not the park or opposite my house.

Sure filtering and blocks will take you so far, but there is still tons of crap advertisement, spam, and scammers that finds their way through. That is a war in itself to keep them at bay.

My private email gets no spam at all, my less-private email has thousands of adverts, phishing and scamming emails. What sort of advertisements are you talking about? I see link spammers on dead websites but not much else. Are you sure your filters are good enough?

DeletedUser

I can't remember exactly when... but the US at one time made it illegal for children under the age of 12 to buy Coca-Cola and to appear in its advertisements. Coca-Cola then made ads specifically targeting the under 12 age group through the use of having kids as young as legally possible appear in it's advertisements. I think the ban was due to the concern of what effects caffeine had on children that young.

DeletedUser

It wasn't made illegal. Coca-Cola changed their marketing policies, and made the decision to not target children with their products. They stopped using children under 12 in their ads, and stopped buying ad time on children's tv/radio shows, in children's books/magazines, on internet sites primarily meant for children, etc. They did it to some extent earlier, but made it the "policy" for all of their products in 2006-8 (can't remember the exact year they announced it.) They say it's not because their products aren't suitable for kids, but that it's almost always the parents of those kids who make the decisions about what to buy. Obviously, kids under 12 often buy things with their own money, but sucking up to the parents made more sense than trying for that bit of money.

DeletedUser28032

[QUOTECigarettes??
MacDonald's???][/QUOTE]

Although bad for me it is still entirely my own choice if i choose to either smoke (Which i don't) or eat my own body weight in McDonalds on a regular basis, the advertisements merely remind me of there existance although its no longer legal to advertise tobbacco products in the UK so that one is no longer an issue over here. Besides I think if you were to ask people you'd find most smokers started because either their friends or parents smoked not because they saw it advertised on a billboard so again it boils down to free will.

DeletedUser9470

Boils down to free will? let me laugh man

UK produced
-Black Sabbath
-Iron Maiden
-Judas priest
-Venom
-Motorhead
-Def Leppard
-Deep Purple
-led Zeppelin
-The Rolling Stones
-The Who
-The Beatles
-The Smiths
-The Cure
-The Dam
-The Jam
-The Police
-The Sex Pistols
-The Clash
-Peter Gabriel
-Kate Bush
-Jarvis Copper
-David Bowie
-Queen
-Pink Floyd
-Radiohead
-Chemical Brothers
-The Prodigy

today?
-THE X FACTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

free will is it?
people in the uk watch/listen to this crap out of their own free will?
this piece of crap even gets advertised in the mainstream news!!!!!!!!!

"12 more dead in Kandahar.
on a more important note, Jennifer has just won the Xfactor by sticking a coke bottle up her ear whilst canoodling a bloke called simon! well good for her, lets talk about that for another 10 minutes shall we? and then we shall get back to the less important stuff"

Of course mate advertising entices free will.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser16008

Although bad for me it is still entirely my own choice if i choose to either smoke (Which i don't) or eat my own body weight in McDonalds on a regular basis, the advertisements merely remind me of there existance although its no longer legal to advertise tobbacco products in the UK so that one is no longer an issue over here. Besides I think if you were to ask people you'd find most smokers started because either their friends or parents smoked not because they saw it advertised on a billboard so again it boils down to free will.

Most smokers have no clue why they started but...... thats why they banned the advertising. It was everywhere and so ingrained you didnt even notice. All the movies, all the advertising in magazines, TV, radio billboards especially formula 1 where you had Marlborough, Rothmans, JPS lucky strike, BAT and this goes across all forms of sport. It affected everything you saw and on a subliminal level it sure went in .... nothing freewill about it ;)

DeletedUser

I can't say i've ever seen an advert thats encouraged me to kill myself ....

Cigarettes??
MacDonald's???

Although bad for me it [smoking] is .... entirely my own choice ..... so ..... it boils down to free will.

Suicide is an act of freewill too.
Pick an argument, any argument, but stay with it. If you want to start a different and irrelevant discussion then make a new thread, just bouncing random sidetracks into an existing one is spamming.
It's obvious that advertising is aimed at influencing our free choices. If we had no free will there would be no point to it and it wouldn't exist. Wth is your point???

DeletedUser

Suicide, isn't an act of free will. In the news lately there have been a number of teens who killed themselves. They were being bullied. To them they had no escape from their torment other than to kill themselves.

Now, I know in the Netherlands it's legal to be prescribed lethal dosage of medicine. A few Canadians went over there to die. Though less than half of the people prescribed the medicine actually take it. We show more compassion for our pets than our fellows. If a person is going to die and is in pain, most places it's illegal to help them kill themselves. Now, for pets, who are in pain, and are going to die, we 'put them down.' Isn't that a form of Euthanasia? We force humans to suffer and yet we don't let animals.

DeletedUser

Suicide, isn't an act of free will. In the news lately there have been a number of teens who killed themselves. They were being bullied. To them they had no escape from their torment other than to kill themselves.

Now, I know in the Netherlands it's legal to be prescribed lethal dosage of medicine. A few Canadians went over there to die. Though less than half of the people prescribed the medicine actually take it. We show more compassion for our pets than our fellows. If a person is going to die and is in pain, most places it's illegal to help them kill themselves. Now, for pets, who are in pain, and are going to die, we 'put them down.' Isn't that a form of Euthanasia? We force humans to suffer and yet we don't let animals.

Not sure if this is on topic or not but what the heck. (On a side note, I suggest you start a new debate topic.....never mind, I will just do it myself)

Suicide totally is an act of free will, otherwise it would be murder. Which is not the same thing at all.

DeletedUser28032

free will is it?
people in the uk watch/listen to this crap out of their own free will?
this piece of crap even gets advertised in the mainstream news!!!!!!!!!

Yes, nobody is holding a gun against their head, the government hasn't dragged them away to room 101 and reprogrammed them to listened to that garbage it is their choice the same as it is for me not to listen to it.
Admittedly it is a viscious circle, people buy and listen to X-Factor so the media gives it more coverage thus attracting more people to it. Give it time and it will fade away like Big Brother did in the mean time i'll just turn Iron Maiden up a little louder to compensate.

As for the suicide line (Which i am going to leave here) I was merely trying to say that the advert isn't making me do anything it is still ultimately my choice.