Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Just to clear the thread, and get a fresh opinion on this:

EDITED

sdjx22 said:
New summary:

The Problem
Many, many people are crying out for trade to be implemented, as a way of being able to buy items off other players and sell unwanted items to other players.

Other Ideas
There have been many ideas about trade on here, but none that sufficiently solve the abuse aspect. Hopefully, this one will.

The Proposal
That an 'Auction House' be implemented, allowing players to purchase items off other players.

The Set Up
The initial set up could be one of two ways:
1) It is just an inbuilt system that everyone has access to at all times or
2) It is a new building or an upgrade of the general store and must be built by a town to allow members to use the auction house.

It would be very difficult for this to work if you have to visit a specific town, so the idea is that this 'Auction House' would link to a central system that is accessible from anywhere. Anyone wishing to sell anything would drag and drop the item into the 'auction house' in their town. The item would then go into a central pool of items, visible to anyone. Anyone can then bid on any item.

Those wishing to buy would then be able to see those items and be able to place a maximum bid on them [just like ebay] The money would be taken from their account. If they were unsuccessful it would be returned.

The Auction Rules
  • No 'groups' of items, or multiple items. Each item must be an individual lot.
  • The auction would not show the name of either the seller nor the bidders.
  • Each person would just see what the current bid was, and be able to put their own bid in.
  • Each item would have to be in the auction for 24 hours minimum, and 72 hours maximum, with the seller being able to choose how long. At the end of this time (and there would be a timer for each item, to allow for last minute out-bidding) the item goes to the highest bidder.
  • Every auction would have a minimum starting price of it's sell price.
  • Items that are usually purchased from shops have a maximum bid of their foreign purchase price. Items that can not be purchased from shops have no maximum bid.
  • Items put up for auction would be un-retractable, but items with no bids after the time runs out would be returned to the seller's inventory.
  • The bidding system would work in the same way as ebay's, with maximum bids being used to bid on behalf of the bidders.
  • The item would automatically start at it's minimum sell price.
  • Items would have a 'minimum increment' rule. For example, up to $100 you can raise the bid by a minimum of $5, but after $20000 you can only raise the bid by $250.

The Auction House
  • You can drag items into the auction house. It asks you to confirm (in the same way it would if you were selling to the general store) and also to put your minimum sale price in. It would cost to place an item for auction. This could either be a set fee, or an incremental one based on an items value. This money is swallowed by the system and is non-returnable regardless of the item selling or not.
  • Each item would be in it's own category to try and ease congestion and make it easier to find what you want e.g. you click on 'Neckgear' or 'Melee Weapons'. You would then click on which type of item you are after, as shown in these excellent Diggo mock ups:
    auctionhousent4.jpg

auctionhouse2su6.jpg

• Each item would then be in order of type of item and then by price. Note the colouring to indicate whether it is above, below or equal to shop price. Items with under an hour to go have a bold font.
  • To see/do anything on the item, you would click on the item. You can hover over each item and see the details (as you can in the general store/gunsmith/tailor).
  • To bid, you click on the item you wish to buy. A box comes up (like the tick/cross one when you buy/sell in a store) asking you what your MAXIMUM bid is.

Other Points
  • When a player bids on an item, the money for that item is taken from their cash/bank account. If they do not have enough money, then no bid is placed. They get their money back as soon as they are outbid. If they win the item they of course get the item, but they also get any change leftover from thier maximum bid. This money would be taken as if it was already spent i.e. they cannot spend that money elsewhere. Nor is it robbable in a duel.
  • Players can bid on as many items as they like, as long as they have the money to cover those bids.
  • As an addition to the proposed sorting system, it would be nice if there was some sort of filtering sytem whereby you can search for all items that give a bonus to certain skills. Maybe also a drop down list of all the products within each group, so you can jump to just those items as well.

Potential Abuse
  • To help prevent abuse, items placed on auction would not appear on the auction screen until after a random amount of time between 30 minutes and 25 hours has passed. This is to prevent multi-account cheaters from easily identifying thier items on the auction.
  • Players would not be able to see thier own items. If it just stopped you bidding on your own items (as lots are anonymous) then it would be easy to identify which item is yours, and therefore helpful to a multi-accounter. With no viewing of this, and with the point above, we believe we can prevent most multi-account abuse.
  • The minimum and maximum sell prices listed above will also help prevent abuse of the system.
  • Another suggestion to help prevent abuse is to only allow players to trade with the same player once in any 24 hours, much like the 1 hour duel rule.
IMPORTANT NOTE
Items purchased in a shop will NOT be allowed to be sold. Only items found by doing jobs will be allowed to be sold at auction. This is to prevent everyone buying up the best items to auction off. This would need some kind of coding that when a player purchased an item, it becomes 'bonded' to the player, but items found would not.

ADDITIONAL STUFF
  • As an addition to the proposed sorting system, it would be nice if there was some sort of filtering sytem whereby you can search for all items that give a bonus to certain skills. Maybe also a drop down list of all the products within each group, so you can jump to just those items as well.
  • It would be nice if we could have some statistics to go with the auction house as well such as: Highest Amount Paid, Most Items Sold, Most Items Bought, Most Trades between the same two players (This would help to spot abuse), etc.
  • It may be helpful to restrict the number of items a player can have up for auction at any one time, as this would help to reduce the 'clutter' on the auction house.
Does everyone agree with my new refined summary?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Looks good.

I will not mind having it in-game.

Vote casted, thumbs up.

DeletedUser1105

Of course, my vote goes yes.

(Thanks for putting to vote Gem :))

DeletedUser

Outstanding presentation!

1. There HAS to be a fee [suggest $1] for entering items for sale, otherwise it will be filled up with rubbish all the time. The other alternative is that if an item gets no bids the item is lost.

2.Secondly the time at which the item comes up for sale HAS to be randomised otherwise people will know that it is their item by the end time. This is easily do-able.

3. I don't think that the seller should be able to set a minimum sell price. Not sure about this though.

4. Although it is not absolutely essential I would very much prefer it if items could be put up for more than one day [$1 per day]

5. The question about the status of money in bid form needs to be addressed:

I would suggest that it is neither robbable nor in the bank but is returned to the bank if the bid is unsuccessful. Any amount greater than the bank can hold goes into cash.

comments?

DeletedUser

Outstanding presentation!

1. There HAS to be a fee [suggest $1] for entering items for sale, otherwise it will be filled up with rubbish all the time. The other alternative is that if an item gets no bids the item is lost.

2.Secondly the time at which the item comes up for sale HAS to be randomised otherwise people will know that it is their item by the end time. This is easily do-able.

3. I don't think that the seller should be able to set a minimum sell price. Not sure about this though.

4. Although it is not absolutely essential I would very much prefer it if items could be put up for more than one day [$1 per day]

5. The question about the status of money in bid form needs to be addressed:

I would suggest that it is neither robbable nor in the bank but is returned to the bank if the bid is unsuccessful. Any amount greater than the bank can hold goes into cash.

comments?

1. I agree with this there should be listing price based on the items value or level.

2. True it would be easy to work out which is your item without a random time. Actually thinking about it this is a big problem. If someone is listing a rare item even with a random interval of 1 day, you still maybe the only person listing that item within a day thus you would know it's your item. Maybe that's just thinking to much into it :unsure:.

3. Disagree here the seller should be able to set a minimum. If they couldn't your item could go for very little which could cause disputes. It should be like a reserve so unknown to bidders so it couldn't be abused. Also the minimum you set could put the listing price up so they couldn't be to high.

4. This would be a good idea to allow listings to last more than one day. Otherwise your listing wouldn't see it's full market within 24hours. The longer the listing the more the listing price.

5. This maybe one way of doing it, or maybe items and money could be returned/received via a telegram. Then you could take it from the telegram when you want to cash. It would need to have an 24 expiration on telegrams to stop abuse(players using it like a bank).

That was some good points Ulthor I think you about covered all the points that need addressing.

Well even with these points it's a yes from me, it would be great to see this in game.

DeletedUser

3. Disagree here the seller should be able to set a minimum. If they couldn't your item could go for very little which could cause disputes. It should be like a reserve so unknown to bidders so it couldn't be abused. Also the minimum you set could put the listing price up so they couldn't be to high.
Rather than having a reserve like ebay, why not just make the reserve amount the starting price of the auction? Thats the one thing I never understood about ebay, what is the point of listing an item at $20 when the reserve price is around $50? Why not start at $50? That way only people willing to pay that price or higher will bid.

DeletedUser

Apropos to point 2. If we take the example of an attempt to account-push on a super rare item. In this instance the account being pushed will need to relinquish something of large intrinsic value in order to gain a cash advantage, which is hardly worth while. Also in order to push an account it is necessary to have smaller account that is pushing it. Well how does that smaller account get sufficient cash to buy this highly desireable item? So in short, i think it's all cool.

As regards point 5 I kinda like the idea that one could hold additional assets , in escro, as it were, by always juggling bids. Why the need to take away the ability to do it. I say reward the ingenious player.

DeletedUser

About the minimum price problem, wat about putting it above the sale price but lower than the purchase price?(ok maybe not lower than the purchase price but the minimum should stop anyone from selling at $1 cause they had surplus.)

About the putting trash up for auction, i agree but wat type of items would be considered trash?(i mean i really want to know, seriously cause i gotta look out for them in the game as i'm new to it, not sarcastic) Maybe quest items can be placed too? (example is green and blue indian neckband-i dont want to run everywhere looking for it!) products may be also be auctioned off?

About losing the item if not sold, i def would not support as no one would want to auction items off anymore in fear of losing it (almost like robbery)

About the fee, maybe the fee can be based on how long is the item place and the value of the item?

Adding this point in: After bidding and losing (there'll def be people who lost the auction) wat happens to the money? does it get returned? if so when?(after auction,in the middle of it when someone has outbid the person)

1 last thing, are we allowed to put in multiple items to be auctioned off? (like wat if i had 2 grey bowler hats they def have to be sold seperately since no one would want to have 2 of them)

(lol after reading wat i wrote it's starting to look more like a marketplace rather than an auction house)

DeletedUser363

I really like this auction house idea. I am really interested to find out why some people would vote no for this idea.

DeletedUser

in ur picture it says auction house level 1? what r u planing on doing with upgrades?

DeletedUser3773

this would be a nice way to get items other than hoping for it to fall in your lap or looking for a place that will sell it cheap and allow people to make more money from High luck jobs

Diggo11

Yeah looks good, gets my vote. All the hard work from everyone has paid off. Hopefully its implemented, but we don't speak German reducing our chances to 1%.

DeletedUser

Bought items from shops can't be auctionable. Otherwise everybody will have best shop items in a flash. Shop doesn't have limited resources and there is no impact of buying the same thing on it's buying price. I think it's a must according to game mechanics. Although you will be allowed to sell items that you found. In other words item that you buy from shop will become bounded.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Bought items from shops can't be auctionable. Otherwise everybody will have best shop items in a flash. Shop doesn't have limited resources and there is no impact of buying the same thing on it's buying price. I think it's a must according to game mechanics. Although you will be allowed to sell items that you found. In other words item that you buy from shop will become bounded.

Good point. The shops would be an infinite source of every item -- at least, every item the shops can carry. All it takes is 1 shop somewhere to carry that item, and it's just a (short) matter of time before everyone has the item. :eek:hmy:

Diggo11

Then perhaps you should have to go and collect the item after the auction from the seller? That way its like a guest joining a town to purchase an item.

DeletedUser

Diggo - no, that will not solve the problem. It will only make people travel more. I know that you want especialy those items, but that will ruin the game. You need to wait until someone find that item on a job.

DeletedUser

Yes... Only if

The auction is not limited to a specific town... (I dont want seperate auction houses for different towns). There must be a central / chain of auction house... The player dosn't need to walk to the auction house. The player can visit any town and mail the item to be auctioned to the auction house... The post office / the auction house will charge a fee as a x% of the item price or a pre set amount (say $2) whichever is minimum.

To make things more real... There can be a transportation time of the item to the auction house...

DeletedUser1105

pratham, it is a central thing, don't worry. No travelling involved.

And the 'level 1' thing is just for show, I hadn't thought of upgrading it.

Some very interesting points raised here. If it passes the vote I'll re-do the summary to point out the different views to the developers.

DeletedUser

Yes i think he's right on this one.

It would also be a really nice feature if one could see the highest bid items ranked [like the option on ebay]. It would be a real talking point. Perhaps it could even be in rankings?

It would also be great to see past results.

I'd also like it if we could see who had bought and sold items at the end of a sale. Although i reckon this is a pretty abuse-proof system it would still be good to have it cast-iron abuse proof. Perhaps even have a rank of 'most auction trades' so one could see if two players were exchanging a suspiciously large amount of goods. Perhaps even having a limit on the amount of such transactions. For example 'you have successfully bought an item from player A in the last day therefore you may not bid on this item' with the time doubling with each successful transaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.