1.27 update news

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

something else I would like to know is what about quests that say you have to do a job for x amount of hours. doing these quests (if the quest requirements say the same) will take twice as long using twice the energy to finish

DeletedUser

Yeah, the work 'improvement' bite big time. Many of the quests require 6-10 hours of work on a certain job. So instead of two hour incriments, we'll have to queue up 10 of the same job and use double the energy. When it isn't about the money or the luck, but just the simple actual real time required to complete a quest, these alleged improvements drastically slow down the game, drain energy and require far more 'on screen time'. For a 'background browser game' this is certainly becoming a game where you have to be online all the time in order to succeed.

Which completely defeats the goal of a browser game: you can keep it on in the background and only check in a few times a day without getting in trouble at your place of employment.

Whatever happened to dicussing these sorts of developments with the actual players? The voting system? Or is that just for those ideas that spring up from the lowly players and not the devs on high?

The jobs revamp is the dumbest, most obvious grab for money that I have ever seen.

DeletedUser

Oh, I see. After I beautifully explained why the work system is positive (to sum up: more reports, more results in one day), now we hang on to this "quest hour energy consuming" thing and go back to throwing rocks to the nice new work system. Why?
As I recall, people asked if in the future we can have times quests, not product quests (as in work 10h for that instead of bring me 10 turkey legs). Now we complain about the time quests?!
And did anybody receive some sort of confirmation that work will be cut in half and quests will not?
Verrena talks like is the end of the world, now is going to be so hard to do quests boo hoo. I thought we rather work several hours than run around hunting products.
And even if the quests' work times won't be cut in half, now with the forts and sleepyhead set, I can't believe someone complains about having to sleep to recover energy. So, is bad we need to be active but is also bad you need to schedule sleep (time when you can easily walk away from the PC for at least 5h and not worry about it) hmm. Nice chain of thoughts there!

DeletedUser

I think we need to bear in mind that these are proposed changes for 1.27 Beta .

No doubt there will be conflicts with existing set ups , but isn't that what beta is for.

I'm mildly concerned about the effect these changes will have , but will reserve judgment until we find out how exactly they work in practice.

One of my main bugbears is the total lack of official statements /feedback for proposed changes , however I feel in this case then a little insight is just as bad without any official comments on the progress and implementation.... at this point the official silence is more frustrating

DeletedUser

1) Works:
- 2 hours of work will be as effective as 1 hour is now (luck, money, xp, motivation, etc). Here's an example:
Old: 2 Hours need 24 Energypoints and give 120$ and 100 XP
New: 1 Hour needs 24 Energypoints and gives 120$ and 100 XP

- There won't be a 2-hours-work any more.

- You will be able to set 3 works in your activity queue without premium and with premium 8 works.

=> The game becomes a bit more time-consuming but if you are active, you'll be more effective than before.

Ouch. just Ouch. These changes would cripple everyone's characters. I'm farly active, but doubling the energy requirements for jobs (halving everyone's productvity)? Who the hell among the developers thought that was a good idea?

And losing the ability to set a job for 2-hrs is painful enough by itself, even if I do happen to be buying the right premium to get 8 job slots. Without it, I dread to think. Why 3 slots non-premium and not 4, which would at least balance out?

The immortal phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." springs sharply to mind. Are the developers trying to break the game?

DeletedUser

I'm farly active, but doubling the energy requirements for jobs (halving everyone's productvity)? Who the hell among the developers thought that was a good idea?

Rewards/energy are still the same. In regard to real life time productivity is actually doubled.

DeletedUser

i prefer the 1 hour jobs count as 2 hours.First of all (personally :p)i always put 10 minutes,a LOT of 10 minutes in jobs just for drops.Secondly i think that ALL of us would like to have more xp/$ in less time so it would be just perfect this change for me!!

P.S:personal opinion
P.S2:sorry if my english are bad!!

DeletedUser

Second: I am a woman, not little and definitely not a boy.

ha ha. the standard retort to being proved wrong in public has blown up in his/her/its face... how funny... i love the way people project themselves so often onto others in this forum.

DeletedUser

Rewards/energy are still the same. In regard to real life time productivity is actually doubled.

I see what you mean; Ok, if the rewards-to-energy ratio is the same (which I'd missed on first read), that's pretty good... except I really don't like the idea of burning through my energy double-pace. The current system decently fits a 24 hour day. Doubling the speed at which energy is burned is gonna mess with that something chronic.

And I stand by my remark that if we're gonna lose the "2-hrs" option, non-premium should be 4 slots instead of 3, so non-premium users can still set up things for four hours in advance.

DeletedUser

I see what you mean; Ok, if the rewards-to-energy ratio is the same (which I'd missed on first read), that's pretty good... except I really don't like the idea of burning through my energy double-pace. The current system decently fits a 24 hour day. Doubling the speed at which energy is burned is gonna mess with that something chronic.

And I stand by my remark that if we're gonna lose the "2-hrs" option, non-premium should be 4 slots instead of 3, so non-premium users can still set up things for four hours in advance.

You didn't think that that was a coincidence do you? It's just another hidden "update" to make more people buy premium...

DeletedUser5597

Good news, beta will be updated tomorrow (I think). They said something about premium features so I think they will do the major update too.

DeletedUser544

here's a question I have for someone who has an inside track on the devs and mods
why did the work system overhaul happen?
was there a bug or an error?
was there a vote by players where we all asked for it?
did ANYONE ask for it? did ONE SINGLE PLAYER say "hey you know what would be cool? if Inno changed the work system completely around so that instead of 2hrs jobs we only had 1hrs jobs, and new players can get twice as much productivity out of a day as long as they login every HOUR"

because to my knowledge, the answer to those questions is a resounding NO
which once again begs the question, why on EARTH would you guys spend all those man-hours on your own self-decided work system overhaul (that just so happens to make it impossible to get anything done without premium unless you login every SINGLE HOUR) ahead of feature promises that you made last year a and that we have been waiting on? all of us players who have been here since 2008 and waiting for things like the Sheriff, anyone remember that? it was advertised on the main the-west page back when they started the west. the Sheriff's office was a building you could build in a town. what happened to it? it was in the early roadmaps. but then it just disappeared. their are COUNTLESS promises and advertisements Inno made in 2008 and 2009 that have just faded into nothing, and I for one am sick of this crap if you tout something as a selling point for your product, you need to actually FOLLOW THROUGH and implement that feature. BEFORE new ones. it is one of the FUNDAMENTAL rules in the software engineering process. The InnoGames developers would be straight up FIRED if they worked for any sort of software company and tried to circumvent features they promised a customer so they could put their own new features (that happen to cost more money) instead.

What's the reason you couldn't have done this in private messages, hmm? Did you really think the rest of us had to read your argument with duduie?

Take it to private messages, I doubt anyone reading these forums wants to be subjected to your tantrums.

don't tell me what to do boy, ok?
this thread's topic is 1.27 update so if I want to discuss the 1.27 update then guess what? I will
if you don't agree with me, and want to argue, then READ what I said, and formulate an intelligence response
what you shouldn't do is try to tell me to shut up and take it to private messages because basically, I don't care what you want me to do, I will say what I want, and you can go boil your head in water for all I care
piss off ok? thanks and have a bad day

Last edited by a moderator:

Diggo11

As Duduie pointed out, use the third spot to schedule sleep and cancel it after two hours. That way you get the same productivity (2 hours = old 4 hours) plus you regain all your energy for it :)

Now, I shall attempt to fill the void:
here's a question I have for someone who has an inside track on the devs and mods
why did the work system overhaul happen?
was there a bug or an error?
was there a vote by players where we all asked for it?
did ANYONE ask for it? did ONE SINGLE PLAYER say "hey you know what would be cool? if Inno changed the work system completely around so that instead of 2hrs jobs we only had 1hrs jobs, and new players can get twice as much productivity out of a day as long as they login every HOUR"
Yes they did.
1. Workers complained about the stupid bank cap.
2. Devs removed the bank cap and replaced with a transaction fee.
3. Duellers complained that no-one ever carried cash on them anymore and they were going broke.
4. Devs test new system of more productive work, meaning workers always carry x2 more cash on them.

Problem whined about, problem solved.

their are COUNTLESS promises and advertisements Inno made... that have just faded into nothing,
Gotta stop using that word. I quote:

"Hey everyone,

These are some of the planned changes that Innogames want to test out and implement in the first half of 2009. Please note that it's not guaranteed that everything here will happen on the English version depending on feedback."

what you shouldn't do is try to tell me to shut up and take it to private messages
Hypocrite.

well I am TIRED of your brown-nosing about the Devs, and trying to tell all of us older players this is a good deal for us. so YOU can shut up too
"don't piss down my back and tell me its rain"
People have whined about the duelling system for over a year, and now it is getting fixed. Plus I'm pretty sure level 99s duel, so I'm pretty sure it is also a fix for level 99s. Don't try to give me pathetic excuses about how it's all so unfair and you got nothing out of this update.

don't tell me what to do little girl (see how easy of a substitution that was?)
just because I don't want to walk away from a 2year time and money investment into my character and START OVER doesn't give you the right to tell me to walk away, just because I have a problem with the direction these game updates are taking
FYI, Duduie owns a level 99 character and I can't imagine she'd want to walk away from a "two year investment" either. Seeing as you are both on the same level your input is no greater than hers, and you cannot tell this "noob" to "shutup" and go away any more than she can to you.

now goto ideas and brainfarts, go back a few pages to the old threads from a year ago, and you will see how many people desired fort shops
you know, something to make the existence of forts MEAN SOMETHING
1. There is a difference between a 'desire' and an 'idea'.
2. Last I checked forts provided builders with something to do, wandering duellers with somewhere to sleep and an entire town something to fight for, not entirely pointless. If forts were a cake I would say the actually thing is the cake, battles are the icing and shops are the tiny cherry on top. The existence of forts already mean alot.

YOU do not sit above everyone else in judgment of the universe
you are ONE SINGLE INSIGNIFICANT SPECK of an opinion
just like I am
And I will hold you to these words Mr Arrogant. Stop acting you are above everyone else, stop spamming your negativity everywhere and try contibute something to the discussion.

no, I would argue that when you implemented Forts, you "promised" us that you would implement a feature that made owning a fort have a PURPOSE IN THIS GAME
Again, nothing was promised, only planned (see quote above).

regarding what forts would sell, their were discussions and votes leading up to forts being released
I am quite sure the players discussed the 'planned features', I am also quite sure the developers never came here and started a vote on what they would sell.

but at the end of the day, I am not a developer and I am not someone who works for inno games
so ITS NOT MY PROBLEM what fort stores sell;
Again with the hypocrisy. What do you want, players to come up with the ideas or devs to come up with the ideas? You can't just whine both ways, pick a point and provide a reasonable argument for it (preferably not in essay form).

fort shops could be traders (something people have been clamoring for since 2008)
Trade has been moved onto the 2010 Roadmap, and last I heard is hoped (not planned or promised) to arrive in one of the next few updates.

fort shops could have the special guns (why would this not work?)
If the shop sold Belle Starr's I could just imagine the chaos that would follow.

fort shops could have new item sets (how hard is it to come up with some new inventory??? that should be one of the EASIEST things for them to do)
As you would say that would make owning the fort "meaningless" as we could just buy the sets and ditch the fort. In fact you don't even have to do that, just go shopping. May as well put the items where they belong, a tailor.

marking forts as "implemented" is invalid; their are no purpose to owning the forts because you never implemented fort shops. therefore, I would call forts "half implemented"
As said earlier:
1. Battles are fun and keep you playing much longer :)
2. Wandering soldiers have a "forward base" to sleep in for free
3. Builders have something to do

in lieu of that, I see 3 different features from 2009 that have been ignored and passed over
forts, trade, and backpack limit
1. As you would say, "invalid argument", forts are missing the cherry and not the whole cake.
2. Trade was pushed to the 2010 Roadmap and is planned, it has NOT been "passed over".
3. Backpack limit, honestly that one explains itself. Everytime someone ever says those two words for forum explodes in a ball of anger and fury, the devs passed it over (for now anyway) because the PLAYERS didn't want it.

WE are not the game developers
we play the game
In that case leave the developing to the developers and get on with playing your game, simple. No-one is forcing you to sit here and rant.

once again my question is simply put, why are certain features from this year given priority over promises made last year?
The devs have a big whiteboard and on that they undoubtedly have a "priority list". They don't magically decide "Hey let's piss off Roland and delay this feature", they make a sensible decision on what they feel is more important for the game.

when I first joined the game, there were all sorts of promises and features laid out on the main page
1. No promises were made.
2. Situations change. Just because something is planned it doesn't mean it will 100% guaranteed be the best option when the devs get down to it on their priority list, they may move it down the list, change it or just scrap it.

it requires people, in the minimal worst case scenario, to spend twice as much time on the game throughout the day in order to achieve twice the results/output
I'm not sure if you actually read this thread or only use it to rant, but that's been explained multiple times, ie the top of this post.

the problem with that is, as people have said, the-west is a browser game and people like to be able to login just a few times throughout the day so they can juggle their work schedules around it
-----
if you guys want to compete with MMORPG's like WOW, then get some better graphics for pete's sake
If this is only a "browser game", it isn't supposed to have the heavy graphics of a MMORPG, only a light weight and simplistic user interface. Again, make up your mind.

and finally, it makes it possible for new players whom are very active to literally get TWICE AS MUCH experience or money that a player playing right now could make in a day; couple that with the nice new daily XP bonus, and I think it becomes fairly obvious what the purpose of the lvl99 cap is. it is to make it possible for EVERY single new player to catch up to those of us who started playing 2 years ago, in as short amount of time as possible. does that mean that when everyone achieves lvl99, the cap will be removed?
Actually that is to deal with two main problems:
1. No-one joins old worlds. Allowing people to advance to the cap faster gives more incentive for people to join those worlds and get duelling targets / high level jobs quicker.
2. 0 Motivation duellers can't sit on one level for weeks on end now, they must slowly advance.

There is no secret conspiracy theory to annoy level 99s or piss of Roland. In fact it is planned to remove the cap, so stop whining.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

http://forum.the-west.net/showpost.php?p=90300&postcount=1 said:
Planned changes in 2009

Please note that it's not guaranteed that everything here will happen on the English version depending on feedback.

Nothing is guaranteed and if some features do not work well they may never make it to The-West.net.

You have an interesting definition of "promises", Roland. I'm afraid, it isn't the same as everyone else's.

but at the end of the day, I am not a developer and I am not someone who works for inno games
so ITS NOT MY PROBLEM what fort stores sell; there are tons of ideas that have been floated out there and people wanted them
and they have not happened

fort shops could have the special guns (why would this not work?)
fort shops could have new item sets (how hard is it to come up with some new inventory??? that should be one of the EASIEST things for them to do)
COME UP WITH SOME NEW INVENTORY my god how hard is that?

So you don't want to contribute to the game, but just rant?

Because giving special guns for free is a bad idea and opposed by many players, see Belle Stars Deringer.

Actually new inventory is one of the hardest things to work on as it screws a lot with job availability and if you don't watch out, you get an item combination, that allows you to do high end jobs at level 20.
Also what's the point of selling certain items in a fort only? Weapons do make sense, clothes don't.

marking forts as "implemented" is invalid; their are no purpose to owning the forts because you never implemented fort shops. therefore, I would call forts "half implemented"

meanwhile, the latest update will contain things from the 2010 update. how does Inno justify spending man hours on new stuff for NEW players who have just joined, while the lvl99s are capped and still waiting for 3 different updates from 2009?

The announcement didn't mention fort shops at all. At first town shootouts have been mentioned, then forts have been announced. Forts with fort fights have been implemented, nothing is half done there.

As far as I know 99ers and new players alike are affected by updates, it's not something exclusive to new players.

no its the same if you have no life and can login every single hour instead of once every 2 hours

It was said, that you can add 3 tasks in the queue, so I'm not sure where you get your "login every single hour" from. A guy who logs in every 2 hours now, doesn't have to login more often to do the same. In fact he'd have to login less, since you burn energy faster and spend more real life time recovering in a hotel, for which activity is unnecessary.

DeletedUser

@roland deschain
just leave. We are not gonna miss you ,little boy :p

DeletedUser

As Duduie pointed out, use the third spot to schedule sleep and cancel it after two hours. That way you get the same productivity (2 hours = old 4 hours) plus you regain all your energy for it :)

So characters have to sleep more to keep up with the energy requirements... and that's supposed to be a good thing how? I can usually get away with my char having 1 long sleep while I'm sleeping myself. Maybe every now and again I'll nap in a nearby hotel if I really need to get something or other finished (being an Adventurer with char-bonus premium has it's uses), but generally while I'm inactive, so is my char.

With the proposed system, I'd have to have 2 8-hr sleeps (16hrs of sleep!) in order to do 10 hrs work. Literally not enough hours in the day. Sure, that 10 hrs work is the productive equivilent of 20 now, but that still leaves that extra 8 hrs of non-activity, which is gonna get old real fast.

Diggo11

So characters have to sleep more to keep up with the energy requirements... and that's supposed to be a good thing how?
You're looking at it the wrong way ;)

Let's take an average working joe. They can log in once when they arrive at work, once at lunch and say once before they leave for home.

Old

Time: 09:00
Start: 100 Energy
Schedule: 4 hours (52 Energy)
End: 4 hours ~ 64 Energy & 4 Productivity

Time: 13:00
Start: 64 Energy
Schedule: 4 hours (12 Energy)
End: 4 hours ~ 24 Energy & 8 Productivity

Time: 17:00
Start: 24 Energy
Schedule: 2 hours + sleep (0 Energy)
Final: 10 hours ~ 100 Energy & 10 Productivity

New (Hotel)

Schedule: 2 hours + 2 hours 5 star sleep (52 Energy)
End: 4 hours ~ 83 Energy & 4 Productivity

Start: 83 Energy
Schedule: 2 hours + 2 hours 5 star sleep (35 Energy)
End: 4 hours ~ 66 Energy & 8 Productivity

Start: 66 Energy
Schedule: 2 hours + sleep (26 Energy)
Final: 10 hours ~ 100 Energy & 12 Productivity

New (Barracks)

Schedule: 2 hours + 2 hours 6 star sleep (52 Energy)
End: 4 hours ~ 88 Energy & 4 Productivity

Start: 88 Energy
Schedule: 3 hours + 1 hour idle
End: 4 hours ~ 28 Energy & 10 Productivity

Start: 28 Energy
Schedule: 1 hours + sleep (4 Energy)
Final: 9 hours ~ 100 Energy & 12 Productivity

More productivity, same time frame.

DeletedUser

mhhh, I look at this thread... and I think: what is the point of it? (other than discussing about the update... I mean about the whining about the update...) dont you have beter things to whine about? is this seriously your bigegst problem?
will you make the devs change they'r mind? hell no!
do you annoy others? hell yeah!
I am inpatient too. We are all expecting new things to come. but they just can't bring them in at the same time. For example shops... if they bring them now they will most probably sell normal items, which is realy redundant, and they can't sell the new shiny items(they just cant!)
one step at a time.

Roland, seriously go be a politician (not screwing with you). I bet you will kick the hell out of them.(or bring a WW3... not sure which, anyway...)

DeletedUser

New (Hotel)

Schedule: 2 hours + 2 hours 5 star sleep (52 Energy)
End: 4 hours ~ 83 Energy & 4 Productivity

Start: 83 Energy
Schedule: 2 hours + 2 hours 5 star sleep (35 Energy)
End: 4 hours ~ 66 Energy & 8 Productivity

Start: 66 Energy
Schedule: 2 hours + sleep (26 Energy)
Final: 10 hours ~ 100 Energy & 12 Productivity

That's a ridiculous amount of sleeping. A PC shouldn't have to sleep that much just to make the sums work. What happens if they either don't have access to or can't afford a 5 star hotel?

The proposed work system would mess up the game so much, especially for new players. And part of the charm of The West is that you have to take your time, but the rewards are worth it; people shouldn't be punished for doing just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.