Daily Gospel

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I'm always astounded, that people, who disagree with evolution, don't even know what evolution is about.

Ouch. Is that barb directed towards me? Nice.

Origin of life? That's not evolution, that's abiogenesis and this is indeed not a scientific theory, but there are some hypothesises and models.

Good one, although this is not an original thought of yours. The separation of evolution from "origin of life" as a means of diffusing the substantial origins problem is plastered on a majority of anti-creation internet sites, which is where you found it. Did I limit this conversation to "evolution only"? No, my point on Intelligent Design applies to both. If fact, if we limited the conversation to natural selection, we would have no controversy at all. The fact is, the theory of evolution, AS IT IS TAUGHT IN AMERICAN PUBLIC SCHOOLS, is not limited to natural selection. It includes the origin of life, creative mutations, and long ages. This can be seen from the table of contents of the typical college biology textbook (need examples? I have 'em!). The natural spontaneous origin of life, or abiogenesis, is scientifically absurd. The oxygen-less Miller–Urey research actually argues against abiogenesis. Louis Pasteur, Stanley Miller, and many others have found many reasons why it can't happen. But it is the foundation of the theory of evolution taught to our school children.

You are doing what many evolutionists do in seeking to separate abiogenesis from the theory of evolution. A wise move really, because abiogenesis is so clearly false. You and others want to start with a living cell and proceed from there. But that is cheating. You must start at the starting line. Please, start with a dead planet that naturally and spontaneously produces the first living thing. Scientifically, evolution as an explanation for the existence of all the various forms of life on Earth, is a non-starter. My point all along has been that a Designer, or intelligent originator, if you will, can be logically and scientifically inferred from the evidence we can indeed see.

In order for evolution to take place it is irrelevant how life orginated.

Of course it's relevant. It's relevant, like I said before, to the people who teach it, and it's logically relevant in that HOW life started would probably have a bearing on how it propagated. Remember you believe (word specifically chosen) that the invisible building blocks of all life forms formed themselves into highly complex and organized structures. How that could happen, could very well be related to how the building blocks came into being in the first place. But again, you are just repeating a diversionary tactic to get away from the abiogenesis problem.

Whether your parents or a god created you, doesn't affect the fact that you age and grow old.

Jack my friend, are you listening to yourself? And that makes sense how? Aging is an example of evolution? Huh?

Quote:
"An intelligible communication via radio signal from some distant galaxy would be widely hailed as evidence of an intelligent source. Why then doesn't the message sequence on the DNA molecule also constitute prima facie evidence for an intelligent source? After all, DNA information is not just analogous to a message sequence such as Morse code, it is such a message sequence."

Do you mind to explain how that is related? You just put it out there without a comment. What's the similarity of a radio signal and DNA? And why does it imply design?

I didn't comment on it because the language used in the quote clearly communicates the point. Watch this now- According to the experts, DNA IS a message sequence. It IS a set of directives. You would not receive a set of directions or orders and assume that there was no person, no intelligence behind it would you? Yet, that is what is happening here.

DNA gets altered by mutations and selected by nature. Neither radiation, mutagens nor climate, prey, predators and whatnot are known to be directed by intelligence, so how is DNA made by intelligence?

Again, you are insisting that we start with existing DNA, and want only to talk about what happens to it post-creation. I am not discussing how DNA gets altered. If your spouse tells you to go to the store and buy a dozen eggs and you buy 13 instead, the fact remains that your spouse gave you the instructions to begin with. You are trying to tell me that just because the code can change without intelligent directive, the directions themselves are therefore the result of random chance. That is simply not logical. Non-intelligent alterations do not disprove the evidence for intelligent origination.

Let's keep this point simple. Grasp this one: “DNA functions like a software program. Software comes from programmers. Information, whether inscribed in hieroglyphics, written in a book or encoded in a radio signal -- always arises from an intelligent source.”

You can either agree or disagree with that statement. But if you disagree, you are just as much a man of faith as I am. Agreed?

Quote:
"There is evidence for advanced design, that's been my point from the beginning. Look up March 10, 2008 Science Daily, an article on the electronic structure of DNA."
I read the article twice and couldn't find "evidence for advanced design". What's your point?

See above.

Quote:
"In fact there is a law of biology that refutes it – all life that has ever been observed, comes from life that already exists.

The Law of Biogenesis"
Uhm, no. The law of biogenesis says that organisms don't appear fully formed and disproved thereby an older theory, spontaneous generation.

So Oakland's definition that "all life that has ever been observed comes from life that already exists" is wrong? And your definition of the law of Biogenesis is that "organism's don't appear fully formed?". What does that even mean? Am I fully formed? At what point in the evolutionary process was I not "fully formed"? Have I therefore stopped evolving? Was I ever actually "fully formed"? Huh? Dude, get off the anti-creationist sites, they are giving you a bunch of non-sensible drivel.

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Law_of_biogenesis

Simpson and Beck, in their biology textbook, Life: An Introduction to Biology, state that "there is no serious doubt that biogenesis is the rule, that life comes only from other life, that a cell, the unit of life, is always and exclusively the product or offspring of another cell."

I will have to pass on your fictitious definition.

Can I assume your silence on 2LOT as your intellectual capitulation?

Hah, :laugh:, sure you could. But you would be wrong. I did make a mistake: I quoted from Wiki. Never quote from wiki. I left the subject alone because you were trying to define the application of the law within closed systems. No can do.

The fact is, the ramifications of 2LOT are readily observable for all of us, and apply to both open and closed systems. 2LOT describes basic principles familiar in everyday life. It is partially a universal law of decay; the ultimate cause of why everything ultimately falls apart and disintegrates over time. The effects of the 2LOT are all around, touching everything in the universe. This reaffirms everything I have tried to say on 2LOT, and I see a lot of just plain common sense here:

" In more understandable terms, this law observes the fact that the useable energy in the universe is becoming less and less. Ultimately there would be no available energy left. Stemming from this fact we find that the most probable state for any natural system is one of disorder. All natural systems degenerate when left to themselves. It is well known that, left to themselves, chemical compounds ultimately break apart into simpler materials; they do not ultimately become more complex. Outside forces can increase order for a time (through the expenditure of relatively large amounts of energy, and through the input of design). However, such reversal cannot last forever. Once the force is released, processes return to their natural direction - greater disorder. Their energy is transformed into lower levels of availability for further work. The natural tendency of complex, ordered arrangements and systems is to become simpler and more disorderly with time.

Evolutionism claims that over billions of years everything is basically developing UPWARD, becoming more orderly and complex. However, this basic law of science (2nd Law of Thermodynamics) says the opposite. The pressure is DOWNWARD, toward simplification and disorder.

Naturalistic Evolutionism requires that physical laws and atoms organize themselves into increasingly complex and beneficial, ordered arrangements. Thus, over eons of time, billions of things are supposed to have developed upward, becoming more orderly and complex.

However, this basic law of science (2nd Law of Thermodynamics) reveals the exact opposite. In the long run, complex, ordered arrangements actually tend to become simpler and more disorderly with time. There is an irreversible downward trend ultimately at work throughout the universe. Evolution, with its ever increasing order and complexity, appears impossible in the natural world.

If Evolution is true, there must be an extremely powerful force or mechanism at work in the cosmos that can steadily defeat the powerful, ultimate tendency toward “disarrangedness” brought by the 2nd Law. If such an important force or mechanism is in existence, it would seem it should be quite obvious to all scientists. Yet, the fact is, no such force of nature has been found.

A number of scientists believe the 2nd Law, when truly understood, is enough to refute the theory of Evolution. In fact, it is one of the most important reasons why various Evolutionists have dropped their theory in favor of Creationism."

DeletedUser

I take my hat off to brother Seamus... There is much knowledge and information in your responses. Information that I admit don't even know exist. I admire how you utilize knowledge with wisdom.. :cool:

6th OF APRIL, 2010

Gospel for today:
John 20:11-18 The Appearance to Mary of Magdala
Food for thought:
When all you have is God, you have all you need.

:indian:

DeletedUser

I always enjoy honest discussion, and have learned a lot in speaking to the responses to my original posts. But please note I have used A LOT of quotes and many of these ideas and applications are not my own. As much of what I originally posited was questioned, I have liberally used the words of others to make my own thoughts more clear. I very much respect the views of others, and part of critical thinking is to examine the logic and foundations for what we think and believe. What I would really like to say to all, including myself, given the name of this thread, is this:

There is a God, and He is not silent. His invisible attributes can be clearly seen in what has been made, but most perfectly, his nature can be seen in the face of His Son. You are the direct and unique creation of God, and you were made in His image. As a human being you alone have the capacity to freely choose and decide life's great issues, and you alone have the capacity to reflect His nature.

But the problem is, you don't want to. You never have wanted to. Instinctively, we want to be the captain of our own ships. We resent the idea that anyone would have claim on any part of our lives, and we rebel against the idea of God. We are at enmity with Him, and therefore spiritually dead. We worship ourselves, rather than the Creator. Many people who believe in God, fail to understand him correctly, thinking that because he is good, he will overlook our rebelliousness and transgressions against His law. We fail to recognize that God is Just, and completely set apart (which is what "Holy" means) and therefore will not accept that which is not cleansed. We remain not at peace with our creator.

And we cannot cleanse ourselves. But God, who is rich in mercy, and who desires that none perish in their separateness from Him, made a way to justly deal with the due penalty of breaking His law and our refusal to acknowledge Him. He had someone who had no transgressions himself to pay for, pay for yours. This man paid for a crime he did not commit, because those who committed it could not pay. His payment can be applied to your account, so that you will be completely accepted before a Holy and Righteous God. Acceptance of this requires complete "repentance", or "turning from" that which is against the nature and law of God. God enables you to do this, by changing your heart and making you "alive" to things of what Jesus called the "Kingdom of God". It also requires, quite fundamentally, the admission of your need. This is why the first thing that Jesus taught in what is known as the Sermon on the Mount, is, "Blessed are the poor in spirit". You must see yourself as God sees you, and be humble, teachable, and ask God to forgive you. This is the opposite of Pride, which comes to man most naturally.

This is what the Bible calls the "Good News" or the "Gospel". I care much more about this than science issues, and would love to discuss this with anyone interested. This also has nothing to do with Religion. I detest Religion. So did Jesus.

Regards-

Seamus

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The fact is, the theory of evolution, AS IT IS TAUGHT IN AMERICAN PUBLIC SCHOOLS, is not limited to natural selection. It includes the origin of life, creative mutations, and long ages.

There is no evolution class anywhere. There are science or biology classes, that obviously include other topics.

You are doing what many evolutionists do in seeking to separate abiogenesis from the theory of evolution.[...]
You and others want to start with a living cell and proceed from there.
Scientifically, evolution as an explanation for the existence of all the various forms of life on Earth, is a non-starter.

Simply because creationists of any kind for some reason put it together.
Evolution, as the name already suggests, only deals with the change of organims.
It is creationists, who add abiogenesis to the theory of evolution and rely then on rhetorical attacks and accuses of "diverting from the topic", which was no topic in first place.
As of now, there is no scientific theory on the origin of life. Of course this is a neat aim for science opponents to bring in the most ridiculous claims.

Of course it's relevant. It's relevant, like I said before, to the people who teach it, and it's logically relevant in that HOW life started would probably have a bearing on how it propagated.

As I've shown before, there is no intelligent force involved in "how life is propagated"

Jack my friend, are you listening to yourself? And that makes sense how? Aging is an example of evolution? Huh?

An analogy. I thought someone as rhetorics relying as you would recognize it.

I didn't comment on it because the language used in the quote clearly communicates the point. Watch this now- According to the experts, DNA IS a message sequence. It IS a set of directives. You would not receive a set of directions or orders and assume that there was no person, no intelligence behind it would you? Yet, that is what is happening here.
[...]

Let's keep this point simple. Grasp this one: “DNA functions like a software program. Software comes from programmers. Information, whether inscribed in hieroglyphics, written in a book or encoded in a radio signal -- always arises from an intelligent source.”

I am not discussing how DNA gets altered.

Sorry, but I still don't get your point. Do you know what DNA is, and how it's formed and changed? It's nowhere like computer software, hieroglyphics or radiosignals at all.
Of course you won't discuss alterations of DNA, because it would make every single one of your analogies fail.

So Oakland's definition that "all life that has ever been observed comes from life that already exists" is wrong? And your definition of the law of Biogenesis is that "organism's don't appear fully formed?". What does that even mean? Am I fully formed? At what point in the evolutionary process was I not "fully formed"? Have I therefore stopped evolving? Was I ever actually "fully formed"? Huh? Dude, get off the anti-creationist sites, they are giving you a bunch of non-sensible drivel.

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Law_of_biogenesis

Simpson and Beck, in their biology textbook, Life: An Introduction to Biology, state that "there is no serious doubt that biogenesis is the rule, that life comes only from other life, that a cell, the unit of life, is always and exclusively the product or offspring of another cell."

I will have to pass on your fictitious definition.

It's neither my definition, nor do I have to rely on websites and quotemining. It's knowledge you gather from teachers, professors and textbooks.
And whether Pasteur meant more to go along with the law than to disprove the former idea of spontaneous generation or not, we still have you here insisting on a definition of biogenesis that disproves creation of any kind.

you were trying to define the application of the law within closed systems. No can do.
The fact is, the ramifications of 2LOT are readily observable for all of us, and apply to both open and closed systems.

I thought I mentioned isolated systems *looks it up*....yes, indeed, I did. There's a difference between closed an isolated systems.
And strangely enough all the definitions of 2LOT, you can find, mention, that it applies to isolated systems.

It is well known that, left to themselves, chemical compounds ultimately break apart into simpler materials; they do not ultimately become more complex.

Evolutionism claims that over billions of years everything is basically developing UPWARD, becoming more orderly and complex. However, this basic law of science (2nd Law of Thermodynamics) says the opposite. The pressure is DOWNWARD, toward simplification and disorder.
[...repeated claims of the same...]

Well known to whom? People who don't deal at all with chemistry? Probably.
After all very little knowledge in chemistry is necessary to know about crystallization or other complex structures that are formed by exergonic reactions.
Furthermore people who use 2LOT with complexity of structures must have apparently removed the part where it speaks about energy and added whatever they think it otherwise might apply to.

Seriously, Seamus, you can't just change the definition of 2LOT the way you like to support your views. Its definition leaves no doubt that it applies to energy and not the complexity of structures or anything.
While you could convince lord3angle with your "knowledge and information", it is just made up and doesn't agree with the knowledge and information of the real world.

If Evolution is true, there must be an extremely powerful force or mechanism at work in the cosmos that can steadily defeat the powerful, ultimate tendency toward “disarrangedness” brought by the 2nd Law. If such an important force or mechanism is in existence, it would seem it should be quite obvious to all scientists. Yet, the fact is, no such force of nature has been found.

*looks up at the sky* Ahhhhh, it burns!

DeletedUser

I would like to ask you "believers" some questions: I get, you believe that there's too much evidence of a designer around us, but why do you believe in Christ? Why not believe in Islamism, Hinduism, Buddhism or any other religion? Could it be because you were raised with this? What makes you right and the others wrong?

DeletedUser

7th OF APRIL, 2010

Gospel for today:
Luke 24:13-35 The Appearance to the Road to Emmaus

Food for thought:
Opening our hearts and homes blesses both us and others.

DeletedUser

8th OF APRIL, 2010

Gospel for today:
Luke 24:35-48 The Appearance to the Disciples in Jerusalem
Food for thought:
Jesus takes our sin and gives us His salvation.

.:indian:

DeletedUser

I won't be able to log in for a couple of days starting tomorrow brothers and sisters.. And so I'll be posting it today what's for tomorrow and on Saturday..

9th OF APRIL, 2010

Gospel for today:
John 21:1-14 The Appearance to the Seven Disciples
Food for thought:
One measure of our likeness to Christ is our sensitivity to the suffering of others.

10th OF APRIL, 2010

Gospel for today:
Mark 16:9-15 The Appearance to the Disciples
Food for thought:
Where God guides, God provides!

DeletedUser

I would like to ask you "believers" some questions: I get, you believe that there's too much evidence of a designer around us, but why do you believe in Christ? Why not believe in Islamism, Hinduism, Buddhism or any other religion? Could it be because you were raised with this? What makes you right and the others wrong?

Pancho, this is a very honest and good question. As no one else has answered you, I will attempt to do so but you have to give me a little time, I'm swamped at the moment.

Back to you shortly.

-Seamus

DeletedUser

There is no evolution class anywhere. There are science or biology classes, that obviously include other topics.

You completely skirt the point, again, although you are at least admitting that evolution when taught is combined with "other topics". Thank you.

Simply because creationists of any kind for some reason put it together.
Evolution, as the name already suggests, only deals with the change of organims.
It is creationists, who add abiogenesis to the theory of evolution and rely then on rhetorical attacks and accuses of "diverting from the topic", which was no topic in first place.
As of now, there is no scientific theory on the origin of life. Of course this is a neat aim for science opponents to bring in the most ridiculous claims.
Ahhh, so Science is not concerned with "Origins", that's all a bunch of Creationist mumbo jumbo. Somebody quick, call Carl Sagan.

analogy. I thought someone as rhetorics relying as you would recognize it.
Let's just agree then that it was a bad analogy. (Dear reader, note here that the commentator is now slinging the word "rhetoric" at the original poster, for the second time in this reply. What the commentator means by this, is that the poster is just using a bunch of fancy words but there are no substance to them. Often this kind of attack is much easier than actually wrestling with the facts and dialogging on point).

, but I still don't get your point. Do you know what DNA is, and how it's formed and changed? It's nowhere like computer software, hieroglyphics or radiosignals at all.
Of course you won't discuss alterations of DNA, because it would make every single one of your analogies fail.
The fact that DNA does indeed contain a messaging sequence, instruction set, or whatever else you want to call it does make it akin to other modes of communicating directions, for the purposes of illustration and example. If you will please reread my post, I don't deny DNA alters, I actually affirm it! By saying "I'm not discussing how it changes", I'm saying my point has to do with it's origin, that fact that the instructions are there, and that alone in and of itself points to ID. The fact that DNA alters in no way "makes my analogies fail. Go back and read my dozen to 13 egg example. You are just missing the point I guess. The fact that the instructions changed does not alter the fact that your intelligent wife originated the complex directions to begin with. It wasn't just a random thought that popped in your head by chance.

neither my definition, nor do I have to rely on websites and quotemining. It's knowledge you gather from teachers, professors and textbooks.
And whether Pasteur meant more to go along with the law than to disprove the former idea of spontaneous generation or not, we still have you here insisting on a definition of biogenesis that disproves creation of any kind.

So it's not your definition? But you gained it from all your education? And I am insisting on a definition of abiogenesis that disproves creation? Umm, Ok. Wow. Would have been nice for you to actually explain what you meant here.

thought I mentioned isolated systems *looks it up*....yes, indeed, I did. There's a difference between closed an isolated systems.
And strangely enough all the definitions of 2LOT, you can find, mention, that it applies to isolated systems.

Heh, c'mon now Jack. You know as well as I do that it is unwise for you to use general terms like "all" as in "all the definitions of 2LOT that you can find". This is simply not true, I found a bunch using the word "closed" in 5 seconds. The fact of the matter is that this semantics plays a big role in 2LOT, and because 2LOT is an absolute nutcracker for the theory of Evo, the Evo faithful are twisting an turning in definitions they will accept. See below.

Well known to whom? People who don't deal at all with chemistry? Probably.
After all very little knowledge in chemistry is necessary to know about crystallization or other complex structures that are formed by exergonic reactions.
Furthermore people who use 2LOT with complexity of structures must have apparently removed the part where it speaks about energy and added whatever they think it otherwise might apply to.
See below. Also, I am familiar with the attempts to use snowflakes (crystallization) as an attempt to show order from disorder, as you are doing here. It doesn't apply at all, as a little rudimentary science would show you. Here is a succinct rebuttal:

"water forming snowflakes is 'doing what comes naturally', given the properties of the system. There is no need for any external information or programming to be added to the system—the existing properties of the water molecule and the atmospheric conditions are enough to give rise inevitably to snowflake-type patterns. However, there is no tendency for simple organic molecules to form themselves into the precise sequences needed to form the long-chain information-bearing molecules found in living systems. That is because the properties of the 'finished product' are not programmed in the components of the system. It takes the addition of some extra information—either by an intelligent mind at work or a programmed machine. What would be analogous is if you saw a doily crocheted into the pattern of a snowflake. There is no natural, spontaneous tendency for the components of the system (for example, wool or cotton fibres) to assume that shape. The pattern has to be imposed by external information—either by the operation of mind or a programmed machine."

Seamus, you can't just change the definition of 2LOT the way you like to support your views. Its definition leaves no doubt that it applies to energy and not the complexity of structures or anything.
While you could convince lord3angle with your "knowledge and information", it is just made up and doesn't agree with the knowledge and information of the real world.

I've not changed any definition, I think you know that. For a scientific understanding of how 2LOT does indeed apply the complexity of life, I recommend you read this book online, especially chapters 7, 8, and 9. This dude is a serious player, as you will see. Here's a small summary:

"Throughout Chapters 7-9 we have analyzed the problems of complexity and the origin of life from a thermodynamic point of view. Our reason for doing this is the common notion in the scientific literature today on the origin of life that an open system with energy and mass flow is a priori a sufficient explanation for the complexity of life. We have examined the validity of such an open and constrained system. We found it to be a reasonable explanation for doing the chemical and thermal entropy work, but clearly inadequate to account for the configurational entropy work of coding (not to mention the sorting and selecting work). We have noted the need for some sort of coupling mechanism. Without it, there is no way to convert the negative entropy associated with energy flow into negative entropy associated with configurational entropy and the corresponding information. Is it reasonable to believe such a "hidden" coupling mechanism will be found in the future that can play this crucial role of a template, metabolic motor, etc., directing the flow of energy in such a way as to create new information? "

http://www.ldolphin.org/mystery/chapt7.html

The following starts with a "closed" definition of 2LOT (No, I did not change it!!) but makes all the points we've been discussing here, which Jack you are telling me you don't understand. Maybe this will help, I think it's worth reading.

"A formal definition of The Second Law of Thermodynamics is: “In any closed system, a process proceeds in a direction such that the unavailable energy (the entropy) increases.” In other words, in any closed system, the amount of disorder always increases with time. Things progress naturally from order to disorder, or from an available energy state to one where energy is more unavailable. A good example: a hot cup of coffee cools off in an insulated room. The total amount of energy in the room remains the same (which satisfies the first law of thermodynamics). Energy is not lost, it is simply transferred (in the form of heat) from the hot coffee to the cool air, warming up the air slightly. When the coffee is hot, there is available energy because of the temperature difference between the coffee and the air. As the coffee cools down, the available energy is slowly turned to unavailable energy. At last, when the coffee is room temperature, there is no temperature difference between the coffee and the air, i.e., the energy is in an unavailable state. The closed system (consisting of the room and the coffee) has suffered what is technically called a “heat death.” The system is “dead” because no further work can be done, since there is no more available energy. The second law says that the reverse cannot happen! Room temperature coffee will not get hot all by itself, because this would require turning unavailable energy into available energy.
Now consider the entire universe as one giant closed system. Stars are hot, just like the cup of coffee, and are cooling down, losing energy into space. The hot stars in cooler space represent a state of available energy, just like the hot coffee in the room. However, The Second Law of Thermodynamics requires that this available energy constantly change to unavailable energy. In another analogy, the entire universe is winding down like a giant wind-up clock, ticking down and losing available energy. Since energy is continually changing from available to unavailable, someone had to give it available energy in the beginning! (In other words, someone had to wind up the clock of the universe at the beginning.) Who or what could have produced energy in an available state in the first place? Only someone or something not bound by The Second Law of Thermodynamics. Only the Creator of The Second Law of Thermodynamics could violate it and create energy in a state of availability in the first place.
As time goes forward (assuming things continue as they are), the available energy in the universe will eventually turn into unavailable energy. At this point, the universe will be said to have suffered a heat death, just like the coffee in the room. The present universe, as we know it, cannot last forever. Furthermore, imagine going backwards in time. Since the energy of the universe is constantly changing from a state of availability to one of less availability, the further back in time one goes, the more available the energy of the universe. Using the clock analogy again, the further back in time, the more wound up the clock. Far enough back in time, the clock was completely wound up. The universe therefore cannot be infinitely old. One can only conclude that the universe had a beginning, and that beginning had to have been caused by someone or something operating outside of the known laws of thermodynamics. Is this scientific proof for the existence of a creator God? I think so. Evolutionary theories of the universe cannot counteract the above arguments for the existence of God."

looks up at the sky* Ahhhhh, it burns!

Well Jack, it will be. There is nothing more sobering.

"...when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might, when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed....(2 Thessalonians 1:8-10}

You can believe in whatever you want to. You can have faith that the universe as you know it defied all mathematical and logical laws and formed itself from a bunch of goo wherever that came from, or you can believe that Eris did it, or you can believe that some impersonal or alien force at work in the universe did it. Or you can choose to seek and find the one True God, Creator of all that is seen and unseen, who has spoken to us by His Son. I urge you Jack, seek Him. Read the Gospel of John, consider this man Jesus. Was he a liar? Was he a lunatic? Or is He who he said he was, the LORD of all, King of all Kings, and the Prince of Peace. There are no other choices concerning him. He knows who you are, he specifically purposed for you to be here. He will speak to you if you want him to.

My best to you Jack.

-Seamus

DeletedUser

11th OF APRIL, 2010

Gospel for today:
John 20:19-31 Appearance to the Disciples
Food for thought:
We may walk a desert pathway, but the end of the journey is the Garden f God.

DeletedUser

12th OF APRIL, 2010

Gospel for today:
John 3:1-8 Discourse with Nicodemus
Food for thought:
We can do great things for the Lord if we are willing to do little things for others.

DeletedUser

Brother Pancho Loco, there has been similar questions in the past, earlier in the posts in this same thread... anyway, let's say that God Almighty is the "designer" as you mentioned in your question; Jesus Christ is not only His Son, but also the Word made flesh. from the bondage of sin, it was the same Jesus Christ who suffered death in order for sinners like me to be granted salvation. And that is why I believe in Him.
You may say that I was raised with it, yes. Just the same as the rest of the other religions. However, the point still remain that whether Hinduism, Islam, Judaism; they all have a "higher being" to worship. :indian:

DeletedUser

You completely skirt the point, again, although you are at least admitting that evolution when taught is combined with "other topics". Thank you.

Of course topics are taught combined with other topics. However that's no reason to combine both topics to a single greater scientific theory. If geometry is taught combined with optics, then geometry doesn't suddenly become a part of optical theory and neither does abiogenesis become a part of the theory of evolution.

Ahhh, so Science is not concerned with "Origins", that's all a bunch of Creationist mumbo jumbo. Somebody quick, call Carl Sagan.

Do you mind to explain how "currently having no scientific theory" is equal to "Science is not concerned"?

I'm saying my point has to do with it's origin, that fact that the instructions are there, and that alone in and of itself points to ID. The fact that DNA alters in no way "makes my analogies fail. Go back and read my dozen to 13 egg example. You are just missing the point I guess. The fact that the instructions changed does not alter the fact that your intelligent wife originated the complex directions to begin with. It wasn't just a random thought that popped in your head by chance.

The egg example isn't any better. We know there is a wife, We know why she needs eggs. We know, where the eggs come from etc.
If a man buys 13 eggs at a store, do you assume it must have been his wife, that told him so and there can't be another reason?
This analogy has too many differences to the actual case of DNA.
Also DNA, just like any other chemical compound, is the result of a chemical reaction and there are no unknown falsifiable forces known or needed for them to take place.

So it's not your definition? But you gained it from all your education? And I am insisting on a definition of abiogenesis that disproves creation? Umm, Ok. Wow. Would have been nice for you to actually explain what you meant here.

It's not my definition, as I didn't make it up.
What's there to explain? You claimed, "that life comes only from other life, that a cell, the unit of life, is always and exclusively the product or offspring of another cell." That means, that there can't have been an origin of life, neither by an intelligent nor unintelligent source, and that lifeforms always needed a precedessor into all eternity in the past.

Heh, c'mon now Jack. You know as well as I do that it is unwise for you to use general terms like "all" as in "all the definitions of 2LOT that you can find". This is simply not true, I found a bunch using the word "closed" in 5 seconds.

See below. Also, I am familiar with the attempts to use snowflakes (crystallization) as an attempt to show order from disorder, as you are doing here. It doesn't apply at all, as a little rudimentary science would show you. Here is a succinct rebuttal:[...]

My bad, "all" does indeed include blogs and other random thoughts. But I actually meant scientific sources. I should have clarified that.
You are right, that crystallization doesn't apply at all. 2LOT applies to energy not to order or disorder of molecule structures. Even your source defines that:
"The second law of thermodynamics describes the flow of energy in nature in processes which are irreversible. The physical significance of the second law of thermodynamics is that the energy flow in such processes is always toward a more uniform distribution of the energy of the universe."

However a few paragraphs later they completely dismiss their own written definition and apply 2LOT to anything else but energy. I'm not sure why anyone would just ignore their contradiction and accept everything they write as the truth instead.

Well Jack, it will be. There is nothing more sobering.

You can believe in whatever you want to. You can have faith that the universe as you know it defied all mathematical and logical laws and formed itself from a bunch of goo wherever that came from, or you can believe that Eris did it, or you can believe that some impersonal or alien force at work in the universe did it. Or you can choose to seek and find the one True God, Creator of all that is seen and unseen, who has spoken to us by His Son. I urge you Jack, seek Him. Read the Gospel of John, consider this man Jesus. Was he a liar? Was he a lunatic? Or is He who he said he was, the LORD of all, King of all Kings, and the Prince of Peace. There are no other choices concerning him. He knows who you are, he specifically purposed for you to be here. He will speak to you if you want him to.

Gaps in knowledge are not the same as defiance of all mathematical and logical laws (whatever those may be). I just don't like filling those gaps with unfalsifiable myths and stories.

And what now? Do you want me to worship the sun, that you claim scientists don't know about, or Jesus or yourself?
If I was actually here on purpose of an intelligence, then I'm doing exactly what I was designed for, no? By changing now and following your, a mere mortals, opinion, I would abandon my designer's plan and ignore my purpose. There is no reason resulting from either logic or faith to follow your words.

DeletedUser

Jack, one man was able to fulfill all of hundreds of prophecies told about him, some of which he could have no control over. He told prophecies that indeed came true to the very detail,and the things he tought went far beyond any human knowledge ever seen. How could this one have just been "made up" especially when his prophecies came true after they were written.

The God of the Bible proves itself to be the one true God. In more ways than some.

other "Holy Writings" or Sacred Writs other religions use do not have to insight, and historical backing of events told in them like the Bible does. And this theory you have about a "designer" i would like to hear that full belief in detail, if you wouldn't mind.

DeletedUser

Jack, one man was able to fulfill all of hundreds of prophecies told about him, some of which he could have no control over. He told prophecies that indeed came true to the very detail,and the things he tought went far beyond any human knowledge ever seen. How could this one have just been "made up" especially when his prophecies came true after they were written.

The God of the Bible proves itself to be the one true God. In more ways than some.

other "Holy Writings" or Sacred Writs other religions use do not have to insight, and historical backing of events told in them like the Bible does. And this theory you have about a "designer" i would like to hear that full belief in detail, if you wouldn't mind.

I don't know about any "detailed" prophecies that have come true, other than the death of MJ, which however was predicted every year before 2009 as well, so it had to come true at some point, I guess.

Can you disprove, that the god of the bible is a story set into the world by Eris to cause discord among us humans by splitting them into (bible god-)believers and non-believers and have them argue on the internet?

The bible sure might be a good guide for some people nowadays to get along in their life, but it certainly doesn't have exclusive insight nor perfect historic accuracy. Other texts are equally supporting and serve as a source of historic events.
And I don't have a theory about a designer. "if + simple past"/"would" is hypothetical, no? My apologies, if I got that wrong.

DeletedUser

13th OF APRIL, 2010

Gospel for today:
John 3:7b-15 Born of the Spirit

Food for thought:
Christ departed so that the Holy Spirit can be imparted.

DeletedUser

Fair enough, Jack.

On the point of being scientifically thousands of years before its time, let's start with the very beginning of the Bible.

Now, you can fully agree that due to dating methods, Genesis was written around 1500 B.C. so it can't be said that what was written was done after these discoveries.
As you know, the Bible book of Genesis begins by telling the start of the Earth. No human in 1500 B.C. had the scientific understanding we have about how the universe and Earth could have been formed. Genesis describes how the Earth was formed in the exact way that it would've had to take place.

First Earth was formless and waste, then there was rain to fill oceans, and then land to live on. Then the bringing on of animals and then the bringing of man, so on and so forth. All of this was described in the perfect order that it would have had to be. How could a 1500 BC man know that?

Next the book of Job 26:7

"He is stretching out the North over the empty place, hanging the Earth upon nothing"

now why would i bolden that word, hmmmm. Perhaps it's because 1400 B.C. when this was written, everyone up until around 1000 AD thought the Earth was supported by something. How could just any man know the truth that far ahead of the discovery?

Moving on to Isaiah 40:22

"The one who is dwelling above the circle of the Earth,"

Again, wasn't it around 1000 AD when they found that the Earth was not flat? And yet here it the Bible, it was written in 700 B.C. that the Earth was spherical, and yes, the word in the verse "circle" can also be translated, "Sphere"

there are more examples of that, but moving to Prophetic truth.

Daniel 8:5-8

There it was speaking of a He-goat to come out of the sunset of the earth, or the west, and this Goat had a great horn on it, and then there was a ram with two great horns, and the he goat struck down this ram but as soon as it became mighty, the great horn was broken, and four stood up in its place, but not with his power.

This was 536 B.C. and this prophecy refered to Alexander the Great. And 200 years after this was written, he was born, and the prophecy was fulfilled to the very detail. He came from greece, from the west, against the Ram, whose two horns represented the dual-world power of Media and Persia, and The goat did not touch the suface of the ground when it was moving, this corresponds to Alexander's incredibly fast conquest, and he struck the ram down, but, as soon as the he became mighty, it was broken, as soon as Alexander conquered the then-known world, he died, and four generals stood in his place, but none of them had his power.

that's just one example, there are many more, but ill just let that resinate for a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'm not going to quote the whole text, but I'm trying to keep it in order:

1) Why would that be the perfect order? Head lice, for example, couldn't possibly have survived before there were humans.
Also Genesis mentions no microorganisms at all. If you look at nature, they dominate the place. Your human body consists of 90% cells of microorganisms and only 10% of human cells. How could they leave out such an important detail, if they knew so much?

------------------------

2) There is no "nothing" in the universe. "Nothing" only exists outside of it (space as well as time).

Furthermore:

Job 9:6 states:
"Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble."

Job 38:4 states:
"Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding."

Am I required to just focus on the bolded "nothing" and ignore the rest? I feel a bit uncomfortable to jump to the conclusion that he was ahead of his time when he actually mentions twice "that the Earth was supported by something".

------------------------

3) Yet Isaiah 11:12 reads:
"And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth."

How can a circle or sphere have 4 corners? Am I supposed to just pick the one line that suits my line of argumentation and ignore the other? Let's look at other passages:

Revelation 7:1
"And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree."

Job 38:13
"That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?"

Daniel 4:11
"The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the end of all the earth:"

They all speak of corners and ends of the Earth. Your conclusion doesn't seem sound again, especially since those four corners are found in Isaiah, too.

As a sidenote, it wasn't in 1000 C.E. that they found out the Earth wasn't flat, but way earlier. Philosphical arguments date back to about 600 B.C.E., scientific ones a couple years later (this is for the Greeks and Romans, I'm not sure about the Chinese, Indian, Mesoamerican and Middle Eastern cultures). Though travellers might have been aware of it way earlier due to the different stars at different places on Earth. And it was actually common among educated people (in astronomy etc.) to know about a spherical Earth throughout the time.

------------------------

4) How's that a detailed prophecy? It speaks of goats, rams and horns, not of Alexander, Greece (though he came from Macedonia actually) or anything else you mentioned.
That verse might as well apply to "Take That" a band from the west. I leave it up to your imagination what Robbie Williams' "great horn" is with which he struck down the ram, that had "two great horns". But as a matter of fact the other 4 guys never were as successful as Robbie and apparently it was predicted by the Bible.

DeletedUser

And yet you do not, or can not, refute the point that he is making concerning the implications of DNA/RNA. Despite your attempted dismissal of Cohen's quote via character assassination, the point he is making is validated by a host of other credible resources.
See, this is where I walked away from the thread. I clearly demonstrated the person you quoted did not have the credentials these Creationist sites were claiming, and you say, "attempted dismissal of Cohen's quote via character assassination." Dude, that's not character assassination, that's proving he's a fraud and, in so doing, proving that what he says lacks merit.

I didn't bother replying to anything else you posted because despite my showing this one particular person you quoted is fake and ignorant of the topic, you clung to his words and try to use the rest of the quotes that I didn't bother to debunk as supporting evidence to a lie, which basically demonstrates that you're really not interested in the truth, only in what supports your beliefs.

I was inclined to run through the rest of those quotes to either debunk or show how they were taken out of context, but I lost interest. You're not being honest here (either with yourself or with the readers), so participating in a discussion with you would be a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.