Daily Gospel

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Wow, that was a weak argument lord3angle. "they haven't come up with answers to everything." Indeed, but discovery is an ongoing process. Besides of which, just because all the answers are not yet readily available is no reason to fill the gap of ignorance with something so you can claim to "know." Fact is, you don't know, and your faith, your belief system, is the filler, to remove the insecurity that ignorance presents. In other words, it's a security blanket, a comforter, a soft cushy teddy bear that helps you sleep at night. But it's not the answer. As you just confessed, we don't have all the answers.

DeletedUser

Wow, that was a weak argument lord3angle. "they haven't come up with answers to everything." Indeed, but discovery is an ongoing process. Besides of which, just because all the answers are not yet readily available is no reason to fill the gap of ignorance with something so you can claim to "know." Fact is, you don't know, and your faith, your belief system, is the filler, to remove the insecurity that ignorance presents. In other words, it's a security blanket, a comforter, a soft cushy teddy bear that helps you sleep at night. But it's not the answer. As you just confessed, we don't have all the answers.

C'mon bro, try not to be so arrogant. Do you KNOW there is no God? No, of course you don't, you've never been everywhere at all times, your finite being can only taste and see the smallest bits of what exists. Do you KNOW that lord3angle doesn't KNOW there is a God? No, you don't know that either, because that which is spiritually knowable can only be spiritually discerned, and that is a capability you refuse to employ (or cannot). As a believer in the one true God, such said person may experience that which God provides for those whom he calls, so you standing on the street corner yelling "Your crutch is a lie!!" is only true and for you, and self-descriptive, but not an objective claim in the least. Do you KNOW that "gluons" exist? No, but you still believe it, because it is only logical that repelling particles of matter must be held together by something, so you have FAITH that they do. Could there be another explanation? Of course there could be, but you don't like it, so you rail against it. The fact remains, your beliefs support the world view YOU are comfortable with, and you won't entertain anything else because that would turn your world upside down.

And I don't get why you want to keep saying that the concept of God is a comforting Teddy Bear, Dude, it is NOT!!! As the writer to the Hebrews said, "Our God is a consuming Fire"...."Judgement begins with the house of God"....and elsewhere, "Every knee will bow, and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord"...... It is much easier to do as you have done, deny accountability to your creator and live how you want. Much easier.

The objective truth remains so no matter what you or I may think of it. You cannot know God apart from belief, He made it that way on purpose. But you cannot embrace your materialistic Designer-less evolutionary world view with out an equal amount of faith, and in my opinion, much more. You should admit that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

"If a person doesn’t think there is a God to be accountable to, then—then what’s the point of trying to modify your behaviour to keep it within acceptable ranges? That’s how I thought anyway. I always believed the theory of evolution as truth, that we all just came from the slime. When we, when we died, you know, that was it, there is nothing . . . ."
– Jeffrey Dahmer, in an interview with Stone Phillips, Dateline NBC, Nov. 29, 1994.

DeletedUser

C'mon bro, try not to be so arrogant. Do you KNOW there is no God? No, of course you don't, you've never been everywhere at all times, your finite being can only taste and see the smallest bits of what exists. Do you KNOW that lord3angle doesn't KNOW there is a God? No, you don't know that either, because that which is spiritually knowable can only be spiritually discerned, and that is a capability you refuse to employ (or cannot).
Oh that's crap, and it's not arrogance to point out that knowledge is not even remotely the same as delusion or a personal lie. Someone doesn't "KNOW" God, they just presume to know something, or someone, of whom they have never truly met and have no knowledge except what they have created in their own head.

As a believer in the one true God, such said person may experience that which God provides for those whom he calls, so you standing on the street corner yelling "Your crutch is a lie!!" is only true and for you, and self-descriptive, but not an objective claim in the least.
In claiming to "KNOW" God, you can claim to know the intent of God, and therein dictate to others what God expects and/or wants. It is this that transfers delusion into arrogance.

Do you KNOW that "gluons" exist? No, but you still believe it, because it is only logical that repelling particles of matter must be held together by something, so you have FAITH that they do. Could there be another explanation? Of course there could be, but you don't like it, so you rail against it. The fact remains, your beliefs support the world view YOU are comfortable with, and you won't entertain anything else because that would turn your world upside down.
Wow, Seamus, try to stick with what you know. Gluons are expressions of quark interaction and are expressed in theories and hypotheticals. There is not "belief" in it, nor is there any faith holding to it. It is a name given to an influence that has been successfully measured, through the production of quark-gluon plasma and other tertiary evidence, and has thus far been presented as a stable explanation for the interactions of quarks.

Seriously, don't confuse blind, unsupported faith with "data" supported scientific theories, or hypotheses, which can and will be debunked as soon as any evidence is presented that conflicts with a theory/hypothesis.

It is much easier to do as you have done, deny accountability to your creator and live how you want. Much easier.
Live how we want? Do you honestly think agnostics and atheists live how they want? Of course, not, they live by their conscience and by the laws governing their stated societies. They live by the rules and laws of working together with others in their respective communities. And do watch out for this slippery slope line of reasoning, because there are far more Christians in American prisons than there are atheists. Far more...

The objective truth remains so no matter what you or I may think of it. You cannot know God apart from belief, He made it that way on purpose.
Fallacious reasoning. There is nothing but your claim that he MADE IT THIS WAY. You have no evidence and what you are saying is an incontestable, non-evidential claim. It's what you want to believe, and therefore you pose it as a fundamental, unquestionable necessity to your belief. Well, I question it, and you cannot provide evidence to support it, therefore it is less than a theory, less than hypothesis, it's a WANT. You want it to be true, nothing more.

But you cannot embrace your materialistic Designer-less evolutionary world view with out an equal amount of faith, and in my opinion, much more. You should admit that.
There is a different thread I have yet to respond to, which I will do so in due course regarding evolution (busy guy over here). What I wish to bring up again is that "faith" has absolutely nothing to do with scientific analysis, and it is the opportunism of desperate argument, posed by religious dogma, that brings you to claim otherwise. You are not familiar with physics, biology, astronomy, etc. You have repeatedly demonstrated that in your posts. Thus, what you are claiming here is based on an ignorant stance. Yes, that's harsh, but it's true. You don't know what you're talking about and, in your defense, you continue to make false, ignorant claims to support your continued ignorance on this issue.

This is one of the reasons I find discussing this issue with you to be a waste of time. You don't care to know what is known, you instead want to claim to know what is not known, for it gives you comfort to know. There is, of course, little comfort in not knowing, but if we didn't continue to strive to grow and learn, we would still be in the Dark Ages. And you know what? It wasn't religions that pulled us out of flat earth theories and God's will to the Bubonic Plague, it was basic scientific principles.

Your television, the computer, internet, fiber optics, buildings, concrete, print, automobiles, medicines, transplants, etc and so on... those were all based on verified scientific principles, previously theories. This is not faith, and the sooner you get it into your head, the sooner you'll start having a grasp of the importance of scientific discovery and how your claims of faith being a principle of science are completely unfounded, baseless.

DeletedUser

A Simple Illustration I heard from somewhere,"The Universe is made up of hundreds upon billions of parts that cause it to function in a very precise and perfect order that allows us to survive and to some the Universe was just made from things crashing into each other or connecting in some way by chance to form something vital to life. A meatgrinder is made of 14 parts and is an uncomparably simple piece of machinery compared to the Universe and its functions, how long would you have to shake those 14 parts in a box until it became a meatgrinder?"

DeletedUser

Meh, if you fire a shotgun at a flat surface, you will see a pattern created by all the pellets. If you examine that pattern, you will find some exacting facets to it. If you then look at that exact pattern, from your perspective of that flat surface, and look back, you'll find the path of those pellets, and conclude there is a reason why the pattern is the way it is.. and you are right, but not for the reason you presume.

Point being, don't pose reason for things not yet understood. Making a conclusion to questions as of yet not answered is opportunistic redress, posed to sublimate the mind and give peace and order to an otherwise disordered universe.

It is also opportunistic redress to ignore all that is not precise and perfect in our existence. Millions upon millions of people die of starvation, countless others are subjected to intolerable circumstances. Diseases wrack through the world's populace and destroys not merely lives, but the order of their communities. There is no perfection, only resultant events. Things happen because of things that happened before them. The test tube provides a secure environment to test individual effects, protected from all the facets and factors that influence the larger 'verse. This provides us a means to examine things and try to find pattern, and in doing so, we obtain answers. Not all answer, mind you, for we cannot possibly put the universe in a test tube, but we can attempt to collect data in a restrictive fashion, and in doing so, examine that limited data and deduce cause or causation, as well as predict. However, all that information is restricted, limited, and it is through a cooperative effort from a multitude of research efforts that we obtain a greater insight into the greater picture. This is the process of obtaining answers, it is not the process of jumping to conclusions.

Religion jumps to conclusions, faith is the filler that allows those baseless jumps.

DeletedUser

No, the faith I have is not blind and does not simply fill the hole that this sinfull world creates, I have hope based on the truth that i have seen that all these problems will soon be rectified, and the Earth will soon be a paradise as it was originally intended.But I know you don't share that belief and hope, but if I had seen the fallicies in Flase Religion that you have seen, I would feel the same way you. However, i continue to find it odd that our universe, galaxy, solar system, and planet that is perfectly made for humans and yet that could be the result of chance. I just can't understand that gap-filled belief.

DeletedUser

Oh, I can hope, i just don't delude myself and turn a blind eye to the atrocities presently occuring in this world, and pull out a book and say, "you will be saved, just pray!" No, I actively involve myself in ways and actions that will make a difference, however small, whilst you blow smoke and portray yourself as righteous. Words are words, actions are actions, and you have no actions, just words.

As to your argument that the world was perfectly made for humans, that is so incredibly -- egoistic. So the world is there for humans to exploit because it was all made for us, is that about right? So it's okay to kill each other for territories, wants and needs, okay for us to exploit the land, destroy the other animals, pummel and chew to our hearts desire, because the world was made for us... that about right?

Your egoistic approach to the world, to the universe, is incredibly flawed, in so much as creating a world view that is not only counterproductive, but ultimately self-destructive. The world is not here for us to exploit. We are a byproduct of change, having adapted to live in the world that is, which changes less slowly than we do, and therefore we now pose a threat to this world we were adapted to. It is in this, that we have our greater responsibility. To recognize the fact we adapt, evolve, quicker than the world changes, and it is in this that we must learn restraint and responsibility.

Looking to the skies and praying for salvation is not an act of responsibility.

DeletedUser

Primarily, brother Hellstromm..I am sharing , not arguing.. I believe I've mentioned before that where reasons (or answers as we know it) ends, that's where Faith begins.. And no offense meant, but just because some were able to discover a several things, they're not enough reasons to boast or conclude that they eventually will, even if such is a continuous process.. And those who discovered then, may never find out what else may be discovered in the process. And my dear brother, accepting things that we know nothing of is not always ignorance, it sometimes is called Humility. And Humility is the counterpart of Arrogance.
Indeed, in this continuous process, man has come up with the discovery/ies and probable answers on several things, however, this continuous process also taught man ways on how to cause much damage and havoc.And there's a probability that through this series of "continuous process", man may also discover his own eventual downfall and destruction. :unsure:

19th OF APRIL, 2010

Gospel for today:
John 6:22-29 The Bread of Life Discourse
Food for thought:
The best eraser is honest confession to God.
:indian:

DeletedUser

slippery slope fallacy. Also, arguing that being ignorant, but claiming to know things that defines that ignorance, is not humility, that's arrogance.

DeletedUser

Oh that's crap, and it's not arrogance to point out that knowledge is not even remotely the same as delusion or a personal lie. Someone doesn't "KNOW" God, they just presume to know something, or someone, of whom they have never truly met and have no knowledge except what they have created in their own head.
Please listen to yourself. It is the HEIGHT of Arrogance to say that someone's spiritual experience is a "delusion" or a "personal lie"!! How in tarnation would you know? Really, who do you think you are?

In claiming to "KNOW" God, you can claim to know the intent of God, and therein dictate to others what God expects and/or wants. It is this that transfers delusion into arrogance.
Interesting. I bet you're a Bill Maher fan. God has revealed his character and nature in many ways, but 2 primary ones: His Son, and His Word (the Bible). What God "expects and/or wants" is clearly defined by both, irregardless of anyone who claims they know God. You don't need people to understand what God "expects and/or wants", you can find out all by yourself without help from anyone else.

, Seamus, try to stick with what you know. Gluons are expressions of quark interaction and are expressed in theories and hypotheticals. There is not "belief" in it, nor is there any faith holding to it. It is a name given to an influence that has been successfully measured, through the production of quark-gluon plasma and other tertiary evidence, and has thus far been presented as a stable explanation for the interactions of quarks. don't confuse blind, unsupported faith with "data" supported scientific theories, or hypotheses, which can and will be debunked as soon as any evidence is presented that conflicts with a theory/hypothesis.
Here's what I do know. Gluons are hypothetical particles. They have never been isolated. Same with quarks, I believe, of course all related. In other words, they are a theory. In your own words, "they are an influence", and we can detect and conclude that there must be some kind of binder holding this energy together. Then you make the telling statement that ascribing to this theory has nothing to do with faith or belief. Ahhh, now we have it! You don't understand faith! Of course, to ascribe to a theory is to believe in it. You exercise faith every day countless times, when you turn the ignition in your car or when you click on your mouse. You have faith in the mechanical systems behind those switches will kick in and do what they were designed to. To say you can hold to a theory but not believe in it or have faith in it is disingenuous. Could there be an alternate theory to explain the function of what Gluon's seem to do? Of course, and there is. Genesis 1 is completely compatible with particle physics. I like Dr. Morris' commentary on Genesis 1:2:

"The “Spirit” (Hebrew ruach) of “God” (Elohim) proceeded to “move upon the face of the waters” (literally, “vibrate in the presence of the waters”). Waves of gravitational energy and waves of electro-magnetic energy began to pulse forth from the great “Breath” (another meaning of ruach) of God, the Prime Mover of the universe. The unformed “earth” material (Hebrew eretz), as well as the “waters” permeating it (Hebrew shamayim) quickly coalesced into spherical form under the new force of gravity, and the first material body (Planet Earth) had been formed at a point in space."

So here we are-

Fact: Something must "confine" the energy which is the primary building block of mass.
Theory: It's the Gluons
Other Possibility: What the Bible says Col 1:17 "And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Science can't prove Gluons exist, nor can it disprove that matter and energy come from God and he sustains it. You can ridicule it, though. But it's better to be humble and acknowledge it's possible. By the way, Evolution is still a theory, although we teach it as fact. Since we can't observe it, and we can't measure it, is it even a scientific theory? Regardless, you believe in this theory, don't you?

how we want? Do you honestly think agnostics and atheists live how they want? Of course, not, they live by their conscience and by the laws governing their stated societies. They live by the rules and laws of working together with others in their respective communities. And do watch out for this slippery slope line of reasoning, because there are far more Christians in American prisons than there are atheists. Far more...

What's a conscience? How do you get one? Why should you have to live by it? Wasn't Dahmer living consistently with his beliefs? Wasn't he completely intellectually honest? It's apparent now that the Colombine murderers completely bought in to their own existence being the result of a random particle - to - organism process.....and acted out in a way that makes no more sense than their own existence. Seriously Hellstrom, if you can go out and commit 10 atrocities, and no one would ever know and you would never get in trouble for it, why would it matter? Just as long as you validated your own existence and served yourself, right? Why obey societal laws if you weren't constrained to or didn't have to? Are you trying to live a "good" life? What's that, and why try if it costs you anything? Doesn't really matter, does it?

You're right, though, there is indeed a conscience. And God gave it to you.

Rom 2:14 For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law.
Rom 2:15 They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them
Rom 2:16 on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.

And as far as Christians in prison goes, you're spot on. All of Church history is replete with those who have been imprisoned, tortured, martyred and persecuted for their Faith. This will only increase. So you are right on here. The ones who are in prison because they are thieves, liars and murderers, what in the world makes you think they are Christians. Even "good" people who think they are Christians may not be. What do you think a Christian is?

Mat 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
"On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' "And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'

reasoning. There is nothing but your claim that he MADE IT THIS WAY. You have no evidence and what you are saying is an incontestable, non-evidential claim. It's what you want to believe, and therefore you pose it as a fundamental, unquestionable necessity to your belief. Well, I question it, and you cannot provide evidence to support it, therefore it is less than a theory, less than hypothesis, it's a WANT. You want it to be true, nothing more.

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

is a different thread I have yet to respond to, which I will do so in due course regarding evolution (busy guy over here). What I wish to bring up again is that "faith" has absolutely nothing to do with scientific analysis, and it is the opportunism of desperate argument, posed by religious dogma, that brings you to claim otherwise. You are not familiar with physics, biology, astronomy, etc. You have repeatedly demonstrated that in your posts. Thus, what you are claiming here is based on an ignorant stance. Yes, that's harsh, but it's true. You don't know what you're talking about and, in your defense, you continue to make false, ignorant claims to support your continued ignorance on this issue.

Take your time, I am busy as well. Desperate argument? I don't feel desperate, please illuminate further. I think my points have been valid, they are not original to me, nor are yours to you. It's 2 different world views, but unlike you, I am not going to ridicule you, tell you are ignorant, or that your beliefs make you a deluded teddy bear holding weakling (paraphrasing you). You used "ignorant" 3 different time just now. Stop wasting your time then Holmes!

is one of the reasons I find discussing this issue with you to be a waste of time. You don't care to know what is known, you instead want to claim to know what is not known, for it gives you comfort to know. There is, of course, little comfort in not knowing, but if we didn't continue to strive to grow and learn, we would still be in the Dark Ages. And you know what? It wasn't religions that pulled us out of flat earth theories and God's will to the Bubonic Plague, it was basic scientific principles.

You sure claim to "know" a lot! You apparently "know" me, "know" my motives, "know" my ignorance level, "know" that God can't be "known", "know" that I don't want to "know" anything that is real or true, etc etc. Wow! You are quite the "all-knowing" super-seeing knowledgeable man of the year. Finally, I meet you! Folks, Hellstrom is Charles Xavier!!!

Oh and be careful with your revisionist histories that leave out the Protestant Reformation as perhaps the single most influential force behind moving to the modern era....

television, the computer, internet, fiber optics, buildings, concrete, print, automobiles, medicines, transplants, etc and so on... those were all based on verified scientific principles, previously theories. This is not faith, and the sooner you get it into your head, the sooner you'll start having a grasp of the importance of scientific discovery and how your claims of faith being a principle of science are completely unfounded, baseless.

I like the first half of your statement. You are right. All of the technologies you mentioned are based on verifiable, logical, orderly, scientific principle. However, you are being inconsistent. You want the benefit of what an orderly universe produces scientifically, but yet you believe in a universe where life and matter are random chance events. In other words, the universe is random (so you believe) but you want to study it as if it were logical and orderly! The universe is indeed logical and orderly, because that's how it was designed to be! And God did not stop there, he gave you a mind and an ability to think critically, and to logically investigate the world around you. Why can you "have faith" that the world will obey the same physical laws tomorrow as it will today? I'll tell you why, because God is consistent himself. Science would not really be possible in an illogical random universe! Think about it! Why would we have scientific laws and orderly principle if the universe is just a product of the big bang? How can you trust your brain? How do you know your deductions are right? BUT, if our minds were intentionally created, and the universe designed, then the real study of nature is not only possible, but we can do so with confidence and great accuracy. A Biblical christian embraces science! Evidence is evidence, I embrace it! {Like all those hundreds of thousands of fossils we have showing trans-species life forms.....oh, wait.....) As someone else said "The realm of Science is indeed possible, because the Bible is true!" This was the heart cry of Sir Isaac Newton, one of the greatest scientists of all time. Please consider this my friend.

Yours in ignorance,

-Seamus

DeletedUser

hahaha

That is rather funny in a sad way Seamus.

Yep. Fact is, the atheist has no basis for any objective morality, and anything is game. Party on. Even Richard Dawkins agrees with me.

Jaron Lanier: “There’s a large group of people who simply are uncomfortable with accepting evolution because it leads to what they perceive as a moral vacuum, in which their best impulses have no basis in nature.”
Richard Dawkins: “All I can say is, That’s just tough. We have to face up to the truth.”

“Evolution: The dissent of Darwin,” Psychology Today, January/February 1997, p. 62.

DeletedUser

Oh, I can hope, i just don't delude myself and turn a blind eye to the atrocities presently occuring in this world, and pull out a book and say, "you will be saved, just pray!" No, I actively involve myself in ways and actions that will make a difference, however small, whilst you blow smoke and portray yourself as righteous. Words are words, actions are actions, and you have no actions, just words.

As to your argument that the world was perfectly made for humans, that is so incredibly -- egoistic. So the world is there for humans to exploit because it was all made for us, is that about right? So it's okay to kill each other for territories, wants and needs, okay for us to exploit the land, destroy the other animals, pummel and chew to our hearts desire, because the world was made for us... that about right?

Your egoistic approach to the world, to the universe, is incredibly flawed, in so much as creating a world view that is not only counterproductive, but ultimately self-destructive. The world is not here for us to exploit. We are a byproduct of change, having adapted to live in the world that is, which changes less slowly than we do, and therefore we now pose a threat to this world we were adapted to. It is in this, that we have our greater responsibility. To recognize the fact we adapt, evolve, quicker than the world changes, and it is in this that we must learn restraint and responsibility.

Looking to the skies and praying for salvation is not an act of responsibility.

i hate to be negative, but no matter how much you or I or an entire country may do to help the world, it will not, excuse me, will never solve the problems that you are against. But if it makes you feel better, then by all means, keep doing it. :)

DeletedUser

i hate to be negative, but no matter how much you or I or an entire country may do to help the world, it will not, excuse me, will never solve the problems that you are against. But if it makes you feel better, then by all means, keep doing it. :)
Indeed, so your position is to not do anything and let God sort it out at the end. How noble.

No, let's be blunt... how irresponsible.

Please listen to yourself. It is the HEIGHT of Arrogance to say that someone's spiritual experience is a "delusion" or a "personal lie"!! How in tarnation would you know? Really, who do you think you are?

Indeed, I'm the arrogant one for recognizing my ignorance, even after reading over 2000 books, most of them text books. Whilst you, who have read but one book, written 2000 years ago by Bronze Age men in togas, can claim to know everything by proxy. And with this one book, you obtain a revelation that provides you answers nobody else can claim, prove, disprove, or dispute. Why? Because they are baseless, without form and without reason, but they are what you choose to believe, and thus you equate that to a God, you equate your learnings to a book written rewritten multiple times, translated and transliterated, put together in the first century from a collection of writings. The best hits of the turn of the century, put into a single book, with all the other writings cast aside. You, claim to have read this book, and are gifted with KNOWING.

Who's the arrogant one?

DeletedUser

Indeed, so your position is to not do anything and let God sort it out at the end. How noble.

No, let's be blunt... how irresponsible.

You don't understand his point. He's saying that yours and perhaps other's efforts to improve the world condition are ultimately futile because they do not deal with the real problem. And why do you keep saying he does nothing? Again, how would you know?

What's the problem then? It's an issue of the heart. Man is not at his core, as so many choose to believe, "good". If we did not have racial discord like we do now and have always had, then we would discriminate against each other based on physical height, or nose size, or whatever. Do you have kids? Did you have to teach them how to lie, before you heard your first whopper? Nope. Do you have to teach them how to covet, to steal, to backbite, to gossip, to envy? Nah. But you do have to teach them to put others before themselves, to have self control, and self discipline, to guard their tongue, to love unselfishily and perhaps unconditionally, to give without concern for recieving, to be thankful. The history of man is a history of war, and do you think that we are going to solve that by making sure that we start giving millions of dollars to Quadafi? Was 9/11 really our fault, because of our "insensitivity"? Why is Jerusalem, a country the size of one of the US's small states, literally the center of the world when it comes to news headlines? Do you know what Jihad is based on? Do you think Israels Islamic neighbors will ever be content to peacefully exist next to Israel? The answer, if you are wondering, is no. And by the way, I've lived and worked there, so easy on the ignorant bombs. These are deep issues, that can only be spiritually addressed and spiritually understood.

By the way, no other people group in the history of known civilization have ever been conquered and dispersed only to reassemble and reform their national identity. Nobody. Israel and the Hebrews have done it TWICE. When was the last time you met a Hittite in Brooklyn?

Indeed, I'm the arrogant one for recognizing my ignorance, even after reading over 2000 books, most of them text books. Whilst you, who have read but one book, written 2000 years ago by Bronze Age men in togas, can claim to know everything by proxy. And with this one book, you obtain a revelation that provides you answers nobody else can claim, prove, disprove, or dispute. Why? Because they are baseless, without form and without reason, but they are what you choose to believe, and thus you equate that to a God, you equate your learnings to a book written rewritten multiple times, translated and transliterated, put together in the first century from a collection of writings. The best hits of the turn of the century, put into a single book, with all the other writings cast aside. You, claim to have read this book, and are gifted with KNOWING.

Who's the arrogant one?

I assume your short response is based on time. I'm going to knock off for the night as well. Before I do, let's be clear. You like to tell me that I don't listen to your facts, and that I ignore your logic and points and just spout off what I want to believe anyway. This is exactly what you have done. Did I ever claim you were ignorant or unread? No. But you respond as if that is what I said, in other words you are responding to your own percieved mentality of what you think you are hearing, but in reality, did not. You are arguing against yourself. What I said is that your arrogance is evident by your disrespect for another human being's personal experience, which you simply have no way of gauging. So yes, you are arrogant. The evidence from your own pen makes this deduction logical. You also owe Lord3angle an apology. Man up.

And now I will have to say that yes, when it comes to what you think the Bible is, your are very ignorant. But I hope you are open to learning, and please don't read Dan Brown fiction and think they are all true like so many other "educated" folks I've talked to. The Bible was written over a period of 1500 years, and is a collection of 66 different books written by 40 different authors. Combined, they tell essentially one story, centered on one person, the man Jesus Christ. The OT looks forward to his coming, The Gospels document his life, and the rest of the NT stems from there. The physical evidence for the accuracy of the original texts is staggering, dwarfing any other piece of literature , like Homer's Iliad, etc. The variations in the texts are incredibly small, and don't effect the meaning of either the Greek or Hebrew text (we're talking small prepositions, some deletions, etc. The Bible has never been "re-written", the texts have been copied, big difference there, and when you have over 5000 ancient physical texts to verify and re-verify, you get a very high degree of accuracy. This is why Qumran was an incredible archeological discovery, the manuscripts there again validated what we already had from Alexandria, etc. The Bible is unified in it's message unlike any other collection of books. It says what it says, it's easy to read, and is not the controversial "who can tell what it says?" multi versioned book you are trying to make it out to be. I encourage you to read the Gospel of John, and I encourage you to ask yourself about Jesus, who was he?

Have a good night now, sleep well.

Slainte,

Seamus

DeletedUser8950

Because of people like you.
The world's a hell hole, but only because people would much rather spend money pleasing themselves, then easing their conscience by saying "It's not like I can help anyway."
People like you are why we're in this mess. Instead of taking responsibility for your actions, you claim you can't make a difference. "The enviroments screwed anyway, leave it." Or "The world's screwed anyway, leave it."
The world is in huge trouble, but it will never get better whilst people ignore the issue. As hellstromm said, you're damn irresponsible. Instead of pleasing your conscience by praying the issue(s) away, how about doing something about it, such as donating a small amount of money?
Go bury your head back in the sand, ignore the problems you are partially responsible, and go praying for your god to sort it out. But don't count on it, because if I was God, I'd let this planet rot in the mess it's got itself in and has no intention to get out of...

DeletedUser

And you consider yourself a victim when being called "ignorant". Go figure.

Glad to see you are still reading Jack. Not sure what you mean here, Evolution is not a theory? Look up a definition on scientific method and get back to me...

DeletedUser

Glad to see you are still reading Jack. Not sure what you mean here, Evolution is not a theory? Look up a definition on scientific method and get back to me...

*chuckle*

Ah, sweet ignorant child.
I implore you to read up on the differences between a hypothesis and a scientific theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.