Religion & Science

• Thread starter DeletedUser3717
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Never heard of him, had to google him. However I still think, if you're interested in gods/mythology you should read that stuff as first hand as possible and not some late interpretation.
When I read LotR and got interested in the Valar and Illuvatar, I bought the Silmarillion, but didn't read recensions or Ardapedia-articles (didn't exist back then, but I wouldn't have visited it anyway) about them.

DeletedUser

Joseph Campbell didn't interpret myths he discussed what myths are, how they arose, and why so many myths share the same basic story/characters/ideas.

DeletedUser

All of these are subjects of a metalevel, but not of the foundation of that very norse mythology, Iggy referred to.

DeletedUser

Religion and science are not enemies. Stop doing the whole Religion/God/Faith vs. Science thing.

DeletedUser

God made it. How He did it, is up to science to figure out.
i got 1 question for you. if god made the universe, then who created him? everything needs a source to come from. and Denisero i feel the same, my brain hurts :/
By the laws of the universe we live in, nothing can be infinite within said universe, yes? But God created it from elsewhere. Since God is not bound by the laws He created for our universe, He can be infinite. While it hurts your brain to imagine this, that is just how we are wired. To our brains nothing else other than being one way in a 2 way yes/no decision makes sense. 2+2 must equal 4, we can't picture how it can be any other way, but outside our universe that is not necessarily he case.

DeletedUser

By the laws of the universe we live in, nothing can be infinite within said universe, yes? But God created it from elsewhere. Since God is not bound by the laws He created for our universe, He can be infinite. While it hurts your brain to imagine this, that is just how we are wired. To our brains nothing else other than being one way in a 2 way yes/no decision makes sense. 2+2 must equal 4, we can't picture how it can be any other way, but outside our universe that is not necessarily he case.

Amen brother!!!

God is infinite, the first event, the alpha and the omega!!! HE IS JESUSSSSSS

Science is nice and all, I mean yeah, it gives us some nice video games and stuff, but God is the ultimate being!!! obey him and you get to heaven!!! Hallelujah!!!

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)

I hope that's not an Alex Jones argument, he said that 2+2 wouldn't equal 4 if god didn't make it so, that east wouldn't be opposite to west etc. Someone had to tell him that we put meaning to our labels.

When people talk about infinity in reality they apply it to everything, which is clear from the meaning of the term. In this world things don't appear from nothing and they don't disappear into nothing, we have things because if we didn't we wouldn't be here to do this. I mean I haven't seen anyone that thinks the concept of infinity stops with the universe, unless they think the universe is infinity big.

Please nobody shout logical fallacy and bring up the matrix :unsure:

Lol. I couldn't even blink at that, coming from that source. :)

Sarah Palin doesn't can't blink... you have to be wired in such a way that you'll be able to complete your mission.

Last edited:

DeletedUser8950

i got 1 question for you. if god made the universe, then who created him? everything needs a source to come from. and Denisero i feel the same, my brain hurts :/
Similar debate, what made nothing explode?
But there's been about 8 discussions like this lol

DeletedUser

that's one interpretation that satisfies both the God advocates and the science advocates, except for those little tidbits where science puts a rub on the stories in the Bible. Then, of course, there's rationalization and denial.

Oh, and don't forget to kill your wife if she cheats on you.

Yeah, it's okay to think what you want about God, as long as you ignore all those parts in the Bible that offend your sensibilities. *rolls eyes*

By the laws of the universe we live in, nothing can be infinite within said universe, yes?
No... spend the next 8 years studying astrophysics and maybe we could have a more serious discussion about this.

But God created it from elsewhere.
Aha, elsewhere... so what is elsewhere? What constitutes elsewhere?

Since God is not bound by the laws He created for our universe, He can be infinite. While it hurts your brain to imagine this, that is just how we are wired. To our brains nothing else other than being one way in a 2 way yes/no decision makes sense. 2+2 must equal 4, we can't picture how it can be any other way, but outside our universe that is not necessarily he case.
yes yes, philosophical masturbation. Always fun, but it doesn't provide a wit of productive information. Scientific research attempts to understand everything tangible and intangible, for everything else there's "God."

As they say, ignorance applies to everything we don't know, and there's plenty of ignorance to go around. But here's the bite, dustfinger. You are attempting to encapsulate the essence of God, the parameters by which he functions and yet you are ignorant of it. In other words, you're guessing.

I wonder if lemmings guess when they leap off a cliff.

DeletedUser

As they say, ignorance applies to everything we don't know, and there's plenty of ignorance to go around. But here's the bite, dustfinger. You are attempting to encapsulate the essence of God, the parameters by which he functions and yet you are ignorant of it. In other words, you're guessing.

It's just assuming that which you are trying to prove. As you said, philosophical masturbation.

DeletedUser

and before always, there was nothing. And before nothing, there was something, and before something, there was other...

DeletedUser

Silly atheist, God has always existed!!!

Then you break the rule that you wish to use to prove that everything couldn't have come from the Big Bang. That rule is, "Everything comes from something".

If "God" could have "always existed", why not the universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.