Religion & Science

• Thread starter DeletedUser3717
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Hey, Jim Sun
Must ppl have something to gain as a reason for believing ?
I am not trying to argue, but i just dont understand why should we gain anything from believing.
Ok i know all human being is basically selfish, and i know the principle of no gain no pay, but i dont think that is a must.

Could we sometimes just do something without gaining ?
You can say i am stupid to think like that, but i live out my life , and i live according to my will, altough it is not realistic, but that is me, no one could instead.

DeletedUser

If I beleived if I left my house I would get hit by a bus and killed, I would never leave my house.

How would that be rational??

DeletedUser

What do u gain by filling your lungs w/ air?? It did not take any effort but u gain a lot.

So NO I say U always gain something.

DeletedUser

The bottom line is: You gain NOTHING by disbelieving, you gain FAITH/BELIEF by believing in something.

Or to put it another way, you lose nothing by not believing, you lose objectivity and rationality by believing in something.

If I beleived if I left my house I would get hit by a bus and killed, I would never leave my house.

How would that be rational??
Ummm. You were the one trying to justify irrational beliefs not me......

DeletedUser

I know , but you will never get any danger if you believe in God without gaining anything.
This is 2 different stories.
And you said "rational" is right, so i said you could say i am stupid to think like that.

DeletedUser

Thats my point, that is where faith comes in, believing w/o faith is irrational.

DeletedUser

Believing w/o faith is not believing! buy yourself a dictionary.

DeletedUser

What do u gain by filling your lungs w/ air?? It did not take any effort but u gain a lot.

So NO I say U always gain something.

That is really interesting, you know how to Gratitude, and i give my highly respect to this.

But i hope some day you could understand what i said.

Or i should give you an example,
Ppl who believe in God know God always love them and give them love, right ?

But who will ever though to give love to God ?
I mean only I give God love, I dont care God do give me any love or not, but i strongly agree with your gratitude point.

Amm...this is hard to explain :blink:

DeletedUser

Not true, people believied the earth was flat, that it was a fact and this believe had nothing to w/ faith.

DeletedUser

faith (f
amacr.gif
th)n.1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

Belief always has something to do with faith.
If you believe in the truth of anything, you have faith in it.

DeletedUser

Faith HAS to have belief but believeing DOES NOT need faith.

5.to suppose or assume; understand (usually fol. by a noun clause): I believe that he has left town.

1.to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so: Only if one believes in something can one act purposefully.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

belief - any cognitive content held as true
How do you 'hold something as true' if you have no faith in it?
Belief requires faith just as much as the other way around.
In fact they are largely synonymous, belief=faith.
"I believe in...." means exactly the same as "I have faith in...." whether you are talking about a person, an event or an abstract concept.

DeletedUser

You atheist "believe" in evolution.

HUH!! Takes just as much as my belief in God!!

DeletedUser

Really? Because there is quite a lot of scientific evidence for evolution, and almost all of modern genetics rose from Darwins predications. Every action neccessary for evolution has been accurately observed both in nature and in the laboratory.

DeletedUser

Really? Because there is quite a lot of scientific evidence for evolution, and almost all of modern genetics rose from Darwins predications. Every action neccessary for evolution has been accurately observed both in nature and in the laboratory.

Really? were you there to observe the Dinosaurs evolve into mammals? Were you there when the ape evolved into man? No? Didn’t think so!

Your belief requires as much belief as mine!(probably even more so).

DeletedUser

All you guys believe there is no god, so you have faith. I believe that there is a god, so I have faith. I go through life each day wondering why I am the way I am, while you guys live life according to science as the answer, when neither are disbelieveable.
I believe that there was a big bang, I believe in evolution, and I believe that there is a god, and I believe in survival of the fittest which is why we are so advanced, we are chosen by god. But that's just me and my "fundie" beliefs ;).

DeletedUser

All you guys believe there is no god, so you have faith. I believe that there is a god, so I have faith. I go through life each day wondering why I am the way I am, while you guys live life according to science as the answer, when neither are disbelieveable.
I believe that there was a big bang, I believe in evolution, and I believe that there is a god, and I believe in survival of the fittest which is why we are so advanced, we are chosen by god. But that's just me and my "fundie" beliefs ;).

You are wrong to believe in Darwinism. God's word clearly tells us he made us in his image - perfect. He also created this world in 7 days.

DeletedUser

Little something my friend said the other day. Not her exact words, but it's the basic idea.

You know how we can sit around and make little Play-Doh men? They're on a completely different level than us. They can't possibly comprehend us or OUR world, so I see it as the same thing with religion. How could mere mortals possibly comprehend the true extent of God? Those who glorify Him, who is to rightfully say he thinks the same way we do? If he thinks at all? God and humans are on two totally different levels, just like us and Play-Doh men. Those who don't glorify Him, who is to say you could possibly comprehend existance so well to prove He doesn't exist? The world we live in and wherever God is can't possibly be on the same comprehendable level. That's how I think of it. We are the Play-Doh men to God, we are God to the Play-Doh men.

I dunno about any of you, but it seems to make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.