town founding ability limited by player experience

DeletedUser

No, not by character experience/level. I mean what if we put a restriction on town founding such that players would need to have logged some amount of total in-game playing time (across all worlds/characters) before the town founding ability would be enabled?

I'd propose a total hours logged threshhold of 200.

Thoughts?

To raise an objection to my own suggestion, I'm not sure I would support an artificial restriction of any sort, including this one. My personal preference always tends toward free market solutions, and this isn't one. However, in many games there are things which are limited artificially and the player just has to go out and fulfill those threshhold requirements. It's ultimately just a bunch of electrons and if/then statements to trudge through, no matter how you set it up. :)

Anyway, I think this would be objective enough to be fair, and would result in towns being founded by those with the experience to know what they were doing, while avoiding the problem of new worlds needing towns right away which afflicts character-level-based restrictions -- at least, as long as there's no new world started where only noobs are allowed. :laugh:

DeletedUser

Why? Who cares if a noob starts a town and it fails? Is it really bothering anyone? It's not like someone with experience can't come along and open up the ghost town.

DeletedUser

i would like to see the standard raised but how long does it take the best players to have 300$ and are ready to build a town 300hours?

DeletedUser

The real problem is town residences need to be bigger at early stages and smaller at later stages.

Then there wouldn't be a need for so many towns at the beginning of a world.

Keep the max at 50 ... but let the first rank of residence hold 10 players instead of 5 and then 8 and so on ...

DeletedUser

The top tiers of Residence would add less then 5 players so the total of 50 wouldn't have to change.

Besides less towns getting started early in the world towns would be able to better spend time, money, energy on building up a town... would you rather build another rank of residence that you can't fill anyway or build up the Tailor ?

If you think about it the reason all those 5 man towns get started is cause they didn't have a town to join ... giving the casual player a town with 10 people to start will be better for all those towns early on in the game.

Pre-made towns with organization will be rotating players anyway, so it won't effect them anyway.

DeletedUser

I do like that idea Whistlingleaf. Let a town have 10 members when it is initially founded. Even if the rest of the levels only add 5 that would be a great benefit to many small towns. They could even raise the price of founding a town to offset the initial extra members.

DeletedUser

I don't see a huge pileup of 5-man towns. I see a huge pileup of 1 and 2 and maybe 3 man towns. Especially the 1-ers. So, thanks for the suggestion (and I kind of like it), but it doesn't address the same problem, so it is not accepted as a friendly amendment to my idea. ;-p

What I'm hoping to accomplish is to steer more noobs into joining towns on their first attempt or two, while leaving everyone free to found towns at any level once the player behind the character has some experience.

What bothers me is a combination of things. First, the glut of useless 500-point towns is annoying when I'm looking around to find an item in a nearby shop, or a hotel, or whatever. Second, I imagine that some players get frustrated when their towns flicker out and leave the game entirely, whereas the same player would likely really enjoy the game had they started off by joining a successful town in their first world or two. That's just a hunch; I'd love to know if there's any way of discovering whether it's true.

DeletedUser

I see your point. What if the cost to found a town was raised to $500 or $600 and for that you get to invite 9 other members to join you. What I see happening is experienced players getting that money way sooner than a noob. Experienced players also have ingame friends that are likely to join them. By the time the noob saves up that much money several towns should be founded and have a decent amount of members in them with some shops up already. It may encourage some of them to join those towns that are already in existence. As it stands now it is so easy to get $300 that lots of 2 and 3 member towns pop up all at once. How to tell which towns are probably going to expand and which are not in a sea of noob looking towns.

Did that make sense? I'm running on fumes here :blink:

DeletedUser

Nah I'm against this idea, new guys are still people to and not letting them build a town is pretty harsh considering it doesn't mean the town will end up a failing.

On world 2 a while ago I had a town which I got to 2.5k before I joined a 20k one haha, but the experience was a pretty good one and I met a really good player from it and we have been talking since. The massive wave of 500 point towns which Luap mentioned might be annoying but even early in game towns build up quickly and you can just look on your map for a built up town to buy items from. The only real problem I have with all the noob towns is that they are taking up all the good spots, but as you guys have mentioned experienced guys normally get money quicker so they can grab them beforehand or just grab a ghost town after.

DeletedUser

Nah I'm against this idea, new guys are still people to and not letting them build a town is pretty harsh considering it doesn't mean the town will end up a failing.

On world 2 a while ago I had a town which I got to 2.5k before I joined a 20k one haha, but the experience was a pretty good one and I met a really good player from it and we have been talking since. The massive wave of 500 point towns which Luap mentioned might be annoying but even early in game towns build up quickly and you can just look on your map for a built up town to buy items from. The only real problem I have with all the noob towns is that they are taking up all the good spots, but as you guys have mentioned experienced guys normally get money quicker so they can grab them beforehand or just grab a ghost town after.
I get what you're saying. Like I said, I favor free market solutions primarily. Disagree about the harshness though; I wish this rule had been in place when I started. :laugh:

DeletedUser

Haha yeah that would be interesting. Its a good idea but most people are fine with the system we have now 'myself included' so I can't see it being implemented.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

again leaf i think that it will just make them better. but i dont think this idea will wor either.

DeletedUser

whistles idea

well think about it you will have 10 good players at the start joining. they will grow even quicker than b4 and will be able to get to even higher.

DeletedUser

whistles idea

well think about it you will have 10 good players at the start joining. they will grow even quicker than b4 and will be able to get to even higher.
Huh?

Whatever it is you're trying to say, think about the fact that new worlds keep starting. A person who couldn't found a town in one world due to lack of player experience would be able to do so in the next world. The base of possible founders would continually expand, and everyone joins it after they play for a while.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying, but my hunch is that that addresses it.

DeletedUser

lik i said good but 200 hours is to m uch

i like the idea of having a quest line into getting the option to making a town, which will stop those who are less likely to play the game from making towns

DeletedUser

lik i said good but 200 hours is to m uch
Where did you say that? And if that's your objection, suggest an alternative quantity and we can discuss that.

i like the idea of having a quest line into getting the option to making a town, which will stop those who are less likely to play the game from making towns
In my OP above I pointed out the problem with that approach. My suggestion here also weeds out the same people, but does not suffer the same problem of causing everyone to huddle at the starter towns for a long time.

I suggest you spend more time thinking and reading and less time pushing buttons.