Add-on The Saloon Bar - Older versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

[box=black]Script Details
Available From: Mozilla Website
Script Version: 3.7
Works on Version: Unknown[/box]

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm proud to announce the launch of The Saloon Bar, a Firefox sidebar extension for all your job calculation needs...or most of them, at least.

Installation

1. Download the extension from the official Mozilla site
  2. Follow the instructions given by Firefox
Once you've followed the installation steps and restarted Firefox, The Saloon Bar will be ready to use.

Displaying The Saloon Bar

To open The Saloon Bar, select the View menu, followed by Sidebar. This will provide an option which will allow you to toggle The Saloon Bar display. Alternatively, press Ctrl-Shift-S whilst in Firefox to toggle the sidebar.

Initializing

Before you can use The Saloon Bar, you need to provide it with information about your character and your character's equipment. To initialize the system:

1. Log in to The West
  2. Open your Inventory screen
  3. Click the Update Details button in The Saloon Bar
  4. Wait a little
  5. Wait some more
Whilst you're waiting, The Saloon Bar will be calculating the optimum equipment for all jobs. The more equipment you have, the longer this will take. During this time, Firefox will not respond to any actions so please be patient.

You will need to re-initialize The Saloon Bar if you find or buy new equipment. You will also need to re-initialize if you change your skill or attribute levels. However, The Saloon Bar will store information across sessions: you do not need to re-initialize if you shut down Firefox, turn off your computer or buy a new car.

Displaying Your Job List

After initialization, the list of jobs your character can do will be displayed in The Saloon Bar. Four buttons at the top of the bar give you the option to order your jobs by money, experience, luck or total. Each button will order jobs in descending order (for example, clicking the star button will display all possible jobs with the job giving the best experience at the top of the list).

The default behaviour for The Saloon Bar is to hide jobs which your character can't do. By removing the tick from the box marked "Hide Impossible Jobs", however, you can set The Saloon Bar to show jobs regardless of whether you can actually do them.

Displaying Job Advice

To receive advice on the best equipment to wear for any given job, click on the job within the job list. Images will appear indicating the best hat, neckwear, body clothing, boots and weapon to use when working on the specified job.

The Saloon Bar will also show you the predicted labour points for the specified job.

Please note that The Saloon Bar does not calculate data for combinations of item sets. The Saloon Bar provides advice but this advice may not be 100% accurate if you own items from multiple sets which, in conjuction, provide the best bonuses to the specified job.

Support

The Saloon Bar is provided without warranty and without any guarantee of support. Feel free to notify me of any bugs or discrepancies that you find but unless they're issues which particularly irritate me, I'm not likely to get around to fixing them. Please use email to provide notification of any bugs as I no longer monitor this thread.

The next two posts will discuss known bugs/limitations/issues and planned future development.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Known Issues/Bugs/Limitations

Class bonuses are not considered (e.g. worker Construction bonus)

DeletedUser

Planned Development

No further development is planned.

Updates

1.55: Sidebar should now work on Beta server.
1.56: Fixed bug in job equipment calculation. Added job details (wages, experience, luck) to job hint.
2.1: Support for item sets. Automatic updates.
2.2: Correction to Mexican set effects.
2.3: Typo fixes
2.4: Correction to Charlatan set effects.
2.5: Updated "Building a fort" job to read "Construct manor house" as per game update.
2.6:
  • Modified interface to ensure that equipment advice does not scroll
  • Added new "sort by" button to order jobs by name
  • Ensured that advice takes character level into account
2.7: Fixed bug which prevented advice being calculated if not all items were equipped (e.g. if you did not have a horse).
2.8: Fixed bug which displayed male-only equipment to female characters and vice versa.
2.9: Added support for multiple set combinations
2.10:
  • Added drop down list of jobs (sortable)
  • Added button to order jobs by labour points
  • Corrected display of job when switching between tabs
2.11: Fixed bug in gentleman's set info for 4 items (4 was treated as 5)
3.0:

• Improved interface
  • Job bookmarking/go to
  • Sales advice
  • Faster calculations

DeletedUser

Thanks for finally releasing it. I'm going to give it a try right now.

Initial impressions: I like it. I don't like all the scrolling involved, scrolling down to the job and back up to see your best job items, but it might be a lot simpler than using an external site.

DeletedUser

Very cool. I've been waiting for this. Going to check it out now.

Thanks again!

DeletedUser

Looks cool!
But I think I'll have to stick with TWI's method of finding the best jobs, as it seems to be more user-friendly.

DeletedUser

No problem pi-man - use whatever you want, obviously.

Personally, I prefer not having to switch windows but each to their own.

DeletedUser

Actually, I hadn't really checked out TWI much previously. It has the same issue as West Stats, in that you have to toggle between two windows to get the information. I find it a pain to switch between windows whilst swapping my equipment around for a new job. Of course, it doesn't help that goldfishes laugh at my short term memory. Remember five different things to wear? No chance!

So, the sidebar's something I've created for my own benefit to counter my own laziness and poor memory. I've put it here for other people because I figure that a heck of a lot of effort has gone into it and if more people use it then that effort was more worthwhile.

Having said that, TWI is a far better tool in that it's giving you information on the expected yield for any job. The Saloon Bar isn't doing any of that - it's just using the raw percentages for money/experience/luck. It doesn't pay any notice to the number of labour points you've got, it doesn't consider motivation and I certainly haven't worked out any formulae for expected yield.

So, it's worth pointing out that TWI will give you a lot more information and better information than The Saloon Bar. No question about that.

I'm still too lazy to switch windows though...

DeletedUser

What about multiple worlds, does it know which world I'm in, or do I have to update info every time I log in?

DeletedUser8627

This is poor awesome, one tool I'll be using all the time from now... It is fast and very effective. Thanks a million.

What about multiple worlds, does it know which world I'm in, or do I have to update info every time I log in?

You will need to update your details everytime you get a new item or change into a different world.

DeletedUser

Yes, it remembers information for each world. I've tested it with 7 tabs open, logged in to world 1-7 and it happily distinguishes between each.

As mentioned in the issues, it doesn't behave quite like it should when switching between tabs - but it will update the job list for the appropriate world and give the appropriate equipment advice.

The only times you should need to update info after the first time are when you get new equipment or change your skill levels.

That said, I haven't tested whether it works when you log off from one world and then log on to another. There's no reason why it shouldn't work, it's just not something I've tried because it's not how I use Firefox.

DeletedUser

You will need to update your details everytime you get a new item or change into a different world.

Just to clarify further still - you will need to update once when you change to a different world. Once the information is there, though, it's stored and you'll only need to update when you get new items or change your stats in that world.

DeletedUser

The extension is made of win and awesome. If (when) it grows to support sets and work on beta, it will become essential to my playing. Thanks! :)

DeletedUser

Unfortunately, I can't even get onto the Beta so the chances of me working out why it doesn't work there are pretty slim.

DeletedUser

Unfortunately, I can't even get onto the Beta so the chances of me working out why it doesn't work there are pretty slim.

The only change I can think of that matters so far is one job name, but that doesn't really affect anything as long as you know what the job should actually be.

DeletedUser

It's not a matter of working incorrectly. The extension simply doesn't do anything at all. That's why I believe it has something to do with the URL.

DeletedUser

The only problem I found was if your backpack is empty, it won't update. I get this message: Inventory needs to be open.

DeletedUser

Well, I get nothing at all. I click update and nothing happens, no error, nothing.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
It works well, it should be upgraded to a win.rar file.

If possible you should only scroll the icons so we don't have to scroll back up to see the inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.