Tabbed Inventories

DeletedUser

I really don't know what you are talking about. When I go to my shop windows everything is grouped together in order:Tailor - hats, shoes, shirts; Gunsmith - ranged then melee. I'm looking at my personal inventory and nothing is switched around in there either.
Ditto, on W1,2,3,4,5,6. I don't play the others.

DeletedUser

I'm the victim of a glitch?? I demand a free level bump and perhaps $40,000. I leave the ball in your court, The West. ;)

DeletedUser

Definitely a victim of a glitch. You don't get a level bump or $40,000 but you do get to submit a shiny brand new support ticket to staff.

DeletedUser

This is a good idea, the inventory at the moment is a mess as it from time to time mixes everything.

DeletedUser

You guys don't get it. If your inventory is mixed up then it is a bug that needs fixed. Most players inventories are fine 100% of the time. I've never had a problem on any of the worlds I've played. Never. If your inventory isn't sorting properly then submit it in the bugs section and send in a ticket.

Diggo11

You guys don't get it. If your inventory is mixed up then it is a bug that needs fixed. Most players inventories are fine 100% of the time. I've never had a problem on any of the worlds I've played. Never. If your inventory isn't sorting properly then submit it in the bugs section and send in a ticket.
Even when sorted it's still aesthetically painful IMO. So in the Inventory why not put in the horizontal dividers and sell/save tabs? That'd just make things much "prettier". Also reordering the default order (if this isn't done) would be great too.

Code:
| Default | Sell | Save | <<<Tabs
|         |      |      |

Last edited:

DeletedUser

The idea is fine to have dividers. The point I was trying to make is that if your inventory isn't being sorted out by type now then it is a bug. Probably one the devs aren't aware of. I think that needs to be fixed first.

Diggo11

Ah stop changing the subject. He has a bug, he can deal with it. I have Chrome and I'm never going back to IE just so my inventory is sorted in shops.

DeletedUser

The real purpose of tabs, in my vision, is to make purchasing and selling more efficient. This process is automatic, whereas moving items to various categories based on your plans for them is manual. I don't dislike Violette's idea -- in fact, I rather like it.

I suppose I've never had problems when selling items (I've never accidentally sold an item, etc.). If other people are having this problem, than I can see where this feature would be less useful than Violette's.

I don't think the 2 ideas work well together in terms of creating an interface and the sorting options are somewhat mutually exclusive. And (without bias) the sorting function in my idea is obviously more important to me.

It isn't so much to avoid accidental sales. It is more useful in terms of planning for all your upcoming quests and in terms of saving items/products for later purposes. For me, these tabbed divisions are unhelpful when it comes to purchasing and selling. I might have 13 berries in a stack with 10 saved for later quests and 3 for sellling, for example. Automatic divisions can't help me with that at all.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea byt any stretch. It is a bad idea at all. But it doesn't help me the way that I personally manage my game.

DeletedUser

Double posting, but a lot was going on while I was writing my reply. ;)

What my inventory looks like in the shops. ie; exactly the same as it looks in the inventory window.

DeletedUser

My items are also sorted in the shops: headgear together, shoes together, clothing together. The only difference between the sorting of the shop and my inventory, is the ordering within each item type (e.g. headgear):

• In the store items of each type (e.g. headgear) are ordered by descending value of ALL items of that type.

• In my inventory, items of each type are ordered by the level that they appear (or item subtype), e.g. all headbands together ordered secondly by ascending value, then all caps, then woolly hats, etc.

This is the case regardless if I use IE7 or Firefox. I guess both the store and inventory are sorted (grouped together), but ordered differently. A "minor" issue to consider would be: do we want to suggest that the stores use the same ordering as is used in the inventory, or keep it the same it is now (by descending value of item type)?

DeletedUser

Apart from adding Violette's idea about being able to separate items according to whether you want to keep, sell, or use frequently, the only change I'd like to see is the order groups of items appear. This is a minor point, but it makes sense to me to put an outift together head to toe and in my mind (and this is how they are listed by the West Stats jobs calculator) the neck wear should come after hats not at the end.

DeletedUser

Apart from adding Violette's idea about being able to separate items according to whether you want to keep, sell, or use frequently, the only change I'd like to see is the order groups of items appear. This is a minor point, but it makes sense to me to put an outift together head to toe and in my mind (and this is how they are listed by the West Stats jobs calculator) the neck wear should come after hats not at the end.
Good idea, and weapons should all be together (still grouped by type, but not separated with all the other item categories between them).

DeletedUser

I'm a big fan of optional features -- features that are, well, optional.

"Tabs or not" could be a very simple toggle in the Account settings area (not only to use, but to code). I currently take part in the development of an application that allows users to change the entire UI, with different UI's offering unique functionality. Our diverse user-base has thanked us wholeheartedly for the choice, too!!

What I've seen in this thread:

Some people are absolutely content with their inventory display.
Some people are completely annoyed by their inventory display.

With a good number of The West's more active players being paid customers, I feel it is necessary for The West to offer a compromise for both camps -- as catering to one or the other may come off as alienating.

This issue really isn't affected by the "sorting bug" that Denisero pointed out. The issue is that some people are compartmentalizers... perfectionist, easily-distracted organizers on the cusp of obsessive-compulsivity. When I want to see my weapons, I only want to see my weapons! You can never know our ADD pain!! ;)

DeletedUser

I think the gripe people would have then is that they want to use the safe items and cannot.

I am fine with keeping safe items in the bank, because most of the time, products would be the main category saved, and you can't use them anyway (yet).

DeletedUser

Loving the idea.

Why I would have that much in my inventory is beyond me though...

Oh well :p

Diggo11

I'd still prefer the horizontal break as shown below:

inventory1.jpg