Worker's Defence Guide

DeletedUser

I think as a community, pro-dueling and anti-dueling alike, we should build a guide for workers on how to defend themselves. Something needs to happen to combat the whining, as dueling imho should never and will never be removed from this game.

This could form a stickied FAQ/tips&hints/full guide to point workers and the undefended to, for the purpose of educating them rather than berating them, for the betterment of our gameplaying experience. Give a [whining 'victim'] man a fish, and he will slap you round the face, and promptly be beaten to death. Give a [whining 'victim'] man the tools to fish, and a defence manual, and he will understand the premise of this game, reassemble the fishing rod and net into a kevlar jacket, and desist his incessant whining.

I think is fair to say the real victims of this issue are the fighters, receiving insult for playing the game as it was intended or at the very least playing it legally within its mechanics.

Anyhoo my suggestion is we brainstorm the content but it could perhaps contain content such as;

Basic Dueling guide to explain the dueling mechanic.

How best to place Sp and Ap to retain most jobs but remain proficient at defence.

How to defend outside of the character. i.e. the indirect forms of defence, such as being part of a well defended town.

How to handle troublesome enemies diplomatically rather than through the art of whine.

A free discount coupon for Sim City in case all else fails.​

I half-expect to be berated by many fighters for pushing this, but idc. My intention is not to distribute pitchforks to your farms, it is to attempt to quell the white noise ruining this game. Whining has to be in the top 5 list of reasons why players leave these types of pvp games, and better defended workers mean better competition, better dueling level for them, and more exp for duelists as a consequence.

If anyone has undertaken a similar project on her or other language boards (worker defence guides, other related resources), please post the link here. Also, as OP I request mods remove any unecessary flaming or unfounded argument that spams this thread. I'll request any useless posts of that type to be removed.

All contributions welcome :)

DeletedUser

But then the duellers would complain as there isn't any guides for them and they have to figure it all out by themselves. I think that if the workers use their brains a bit, they don't need this guide.

DeletedUser

Workers needs to figure thing out themselves.
If they are too stupid to realize specialicatin into one area will make you bad at others, ie single skillup building and neglecting duel skills, then they deserve to get their asses handed to them every time.

DeletedUser

yeah maybe a guide for each class and then this would just be a chapter for workers
hopefully a closed thread with another thread for questions so that it would not get clogged with opinions, objections and such obscenities

DeletedUser1105

I don't think the developers should have to do a guide. As mentioned, they would then need a guide for each variation.

An unofficial guide, created by the users of this forum would be good though.

DeletedUser

Plus there is no one right way. A general guide would be helpful I suppose. But I think if people would actually read the help files and do a search on the forums, plus talk to other players in the game they can probably figure most of it out for themselves.

DeletedUser

I think builders should just learn their place and take the pain.

DeletedUser

And with that I nominate John Rose to be the official diplomat between the fighting classes and the worker classes. :D

Can we get Gem to change his title here to "Builder Ombudsman, Duelers League"?

DeletedUser

An unofficial guide, created by the users of this forum would be good though.

Thats what I'm suggesting is made. :)

And yeah, potentially a generic defence guide could be made, and this only form a section, my intention is just for it to be used as a resource to refer workers/non-combat Adventurers to so they have the same information available as fighters do. I know the information is there if they look for it, but when starting out on the game, why would they bother? They want to build/do jobs and be peaceful. Granted thats a little odd in the given environment, but thats not their fault, they just misinterpreted the game.

What I'm proposing we build as a guide as a nub-defence guide, not a dueling guide. It would be specified for those who do not duel agressively, but are upset at how they are so easily beaten and lack the motivation to find out how to overcome the issue.

If you think its a bad idea or unnecessary, then just don't contribute or bother reading it.

yeah maybe a guide for each class and then this would just be a chapter for workers

Sounds like a plan. I personally will be working on the section for the apparently undefensable though. Making a guide for fighter builds first is just making the rich richer and the poor poorer, if violence were a currency ;)

hopefully a closed thread with another thread for questions so that it would not get clogged with opinions, objections and such obscenities

That will hopefully be the finished product. This as you can see is just the discussion and designing thread, so can be expected to contain spam and unnecessary babble from venture capitalists such as John Rose, who would rather fight easier uninformed targets, for less exp apparently :p

Atm I'm just looking at some data and writing a few draft sections, will post on here as soon as I have something tangible. Feel free to contribute to the guide, or argue against the idea, if your reasoning has any kind of merit (John), not just flexing your e-peen (Rose).

DeletedUser

i don't mean to come across as non sympathetic and it's up to you and your time but common sense is the best guide
if you burn your hand by sticking in the fire over and over again and then complain about the fire burning your hand, over and over. should the fire department write up a guide on how not to ?
this is a PvP game, simple at that

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

i don't mean to come across as non sympathetic and it's up to you and your time but common sense is the best guide
if you burn your hand by sticking in the fire over and over again and then complain about the fire burning your hand, over and over. should the fire department write up a guide on how not to ?
this is a PvP game, simple at that

http://kids.direct.gov.uk/main.aspx?firstObject=fire_station

Apparently so... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5046

worker's defence guide eh...

the dueller's should then have a dueller's offense guide. . .

DeletedUser1105

I think guides are always a good idea. But it's finding the time to do them. I don't think I could commit to doing a full guide, but I'll try to help with the editing process :)

DeletedUser

The point is that if you want a make a guide so badly, then be my quess. But don't come here and ask the others to you your job.

DeletedUser5046

even if there was really a guide...i dun think every one will go and follow everything...tat is one thing i know about PRG's

do this and you'll be lookin for something more

DeletedUser

Ok, but currently the game mechanics allows you to be unduelable if you know how to do so. I'm not such a sly person to do that, but I've realised that there is a way that duelers will not be able to take a single coin from you and you can work peacefully whole day.

DeletedUser

The point is that if you want a make a guide so badly, then be my quess. But don't come here and ask the others to you your job.

There are other guides on this forum.
http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=155
http://forum.the-west.net/forumdisplay.php?f=39http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=7177&highlight=guide
http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=4218&highlight=guide

I don't think suggesting a guide is out of line.

First, no one asked YOU personally to do anything. Secondly, its not Lamorra's job. He simply thinks it would be helpful to a large section of the players. He is just trying to help and wanted other peoples input on worker defense because he is not egotistical nor thinks that his way is the only and best way. If you don't want to participate then simply...don't.

Oh, and you spelled 'guest' wrong.

DeletedUser

Ok
my advic3 4 work3rs
2 sound truly gam3riffic
no seriously workers need to
1.raise strength
2.raise vigor
3.wear clothes that raise strength/tactics/toughness/vigor/HEALTH POINTS
4.equip a high quality melee weapon
5.configure dueling so you dodge
6.put all your money in the bank
7.GET IN A TOWN WITH DUELERS YOUR LEVEL WHO CAN HELP YOU
thank you-I believe this forum was about helping not hurting :)