windows 7

DeletedUser

I have got my new replacement laptop now (some of you will remember the white wine spillage episode) and it has come with Windows 7. I avoided Vista when I bought my last laptop so wondered what people think about this version? Pluses, minuses and any really useful features I should be aware of?

DeletedUser

I like it better than vista. I have the CPU meter gadget on my desktop and I rarely see it pointing the red zone, with vista most of the time was on red. And don't get me wrong, I have 351 GB free space and 4 GB RAM. Vista disappointed me completely. It was freezing all the time and working hard and I was only browsing and having 1 or 2 IM opened.
With 7 everything runs more smoothly, my laptop didn't freeze anymore. It had one attempt to crash (don't see why, all I wanted was to shut it off) but 7 did something, restarted it and all was fine, in good shape. They do say windows 7 protects your pc from crashing.
The one feature I like is splitting the screen in 2, with 2 different windows. Drag one opened window until you reach with the pointer one of the sides (left or right) of the screen. It will stretch to half of it. The put another one on the other side. (maybe you already knew it).

DeletedUser

That's interesting. I've heard W7 is so much better than Vista from others - good to get more positvie feedback.

The one feature I like is splitting the screen in 2, with 2 different windows. Drag one opened window until you reach with the pointer one of the sides (left or right) of the screen. It will stretch to half of it. The put another one on the other side. (maybe you already knew it).

Not sure what you mean about this, we've always been able to open multiple windows and split the screen haven't we? I just never bothered.

DeletedUser

Yeah, but just try it. I didn't see this one until windows 7. No matter the size of the window, after you drag it to one of the sides, it spreads to half of your screen.

Diggo11

Actually Bendos is right, Windows Vista also had this feature. The difference is 7 can do it with about two mouse gestures whilst Vista took a bit of tedious right clicking.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I didn't notice the feature in vista, I hated vista, so I guess I didn't care much to explore it. I like 7 and I am glad microsoft gave me the upgrade for free.

DeletedUser

7 is better.

Vista was a HUGE OS. I only had 1.5 TBs after it was done loading on my comp. I have 2 TBs now. Great job, microsoft. With Vista, I was costantly worried about the crashes, but I've never crashed with 7. With vista, my dual graphics cards worked more like 1, instead of 2.

but, my snipping tool has disappeared! WAH!

DeletedUser

I use w7 on my laptop(1.6 dual core proc, 1 gb ram and a crappy video card) and it works pretty damn well. Vista is out of discution on my laptop and it was besides xp or win 7, and w7 is soooo much beter. It just looks awesome! My favorit thing about it is that it can changes desktop images by it self.(I got a bunch of them and they just keep changing every 30 min)

DeletedUser

the thing I truly like about 7 is being able to work on 2 windows at the same time without having to open each window back up each time you want to switch

DeletedUser14239

Windows 7 is way better for all the reasons stated above especially gizmos statement. But it was my idea.

DeletedUser20104

i am using 7 and i am pretty happy with it

it looks are pretty good

DeletedUser

Can't you do that on anything XP up?

nope. well you can put them side by side but you can't work in both windows at the same time (just clicking on the full window) and it gives them even sized windows.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
nope. well you can put them side by side but you can't work in both windows at the same time (just clicking on the full window) and it gives them even sized windows.

What's the difference between me clicking a button on Vista to set to put my open windows into a pre-set pattern, and click something on Windows 7 to put them side by side?
If there's nothing more to it than putting them evenly side by side with a click, then we've been doing that since forever :blink:

Last edited:

DeletedUser

windows 7 is effectively the same as every single applemac program from the last couple of years.

DeletedUser

Ive updated all the comps in my house to 7. Kitchen, Living room, Media Server, and 5 roommates comps and i dont think I've ever seen media sharing set up so easily. I didnt have to adjust anything.

DeletedUser

Windows 7 is great... Coming from the dude who for the past 10 years refused to use an operating system other then XP.

If you want to try an alternate operating system that runs on extremely low system resources and leaves the entire system open to configuration in WHATEVER way you want, I'd definitely look into Ubuntu...

Linux has never had an OS that I would advocate to the general PC user until Ubuntu came out. Honestly, All my computers are now running Windows 7 with a dual boot image Ubuntu. Whenever I want to do anything other then play games and browse the internet, I use Ubuntu. It's VERY user friendly, and you won't find another operating system that is more stable and runs on less system resources.

// end pro-linux / GNU rant

On topic, Windows 7 is SO MUCH BETTER then Vista it isn't even funny. Being a tech guru myself, you don't even want to have me start listing the reasons 7 is better then Vista... Honestly... Just take my word for it, go with 7.