Whiskey Farming - Is it real?

Red Falcon

Howdy, folks!

It's been a long time coming since I've posted anything here in Debate and Discussion, but since I've been surfing the web, I've come across a dusty old page about a game I used to play about 5 years ago...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whiskey-Mountain-Wars/213309229743

The game in question bears the following headline: Whiskey Mountain Wars, the Hillbilly Whiskey Running Game, launched in Sept 2009.

This game did not last long, however. Sometime in 2010 (Between July and August) the game was lost in spite of having it's own Wikia Page.

Now onto my question...Based on what this game used to be about, is there such a thing as a whiskey farm? In Whiskey Mountain Wars, your main objective was to create your own 'hillbilly' character and have him or her build up a whiskey farm. This 'farm' consisted of a bottling shack, a hovel, a still, and other notable features.

The game also had it's own 'classes' including bottler, brawler, and others. It also had it's own traits and skills which could be 'trained' as you leveled up your character.

When I think of whiskey, I think of actual whiskey as in Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey. However, the game did not specifically imply what kind of 'whiskey' the player was making to sell. Their page talks about whiskey runs and on the game, they had vehicles (Including a monster truck) the player could buy and fill up with whiskey to deliver to thirsty NPC customers. And like The West, you could also complete quests, which were different for each 'class'. Your current level determined if you were able to complete certain quests or not with higher levels resulting in a high chance of successful completion.

For more information about Whiskey Mountain Wars, feel free to read their page.

But again, my question is as follows...Is it actually possible to run and manage a whiskey farm, where you not only distill the whiskey or whatever alcoholic beverages you intend to sell to your customers, but also farm whatever ingredients are necessary to brew such beverages. In short, the main purpose of this discussion is to discuss...

1: Whether a whiskey farm is real or not or if it can be 'created' and 'managed'.
2: What everybody here would do to undertake such a task.

Now since moonshine bootlegging is against the law (As far as I know) I strongly discourage undertaking any such illegal activities.

Any information about brewing or distilling liquor (As long as it's legal) can freely be provided in any responses which may follow. Cheers!

DeletedUser34315

Ever heard of the appalachian mountains? ;)
It's very possible. Even today, people will buy moonshine because of its uniquely rustic charm. It's not really good liquor, but the fact that it is illegal gives it a massive thrill.
Underage smoking is much the same. Not pleasant at all, but the thrill of "breaking the law" makes the experience memorable and enjoyable.

Red Falcon

Ever heard of the appalachian mountains? ;)

Yes, I've heard of the Appalachian Mountains before. In fact, I've done a little research on the area one day, specifically on the culture of people who live there.

And speaking of making whiskey, here is another question...If you could make any kind of whiskey from start to finish, what would you make? And what ingredients would you use to grow the crops and then distill the whiskey? Think about it and be sure to do some research before posting any responses to the above question. ;)

DeletedUser34315

Corn. There's plenty of legitimate purposes for a corn crop, so growing it and siphoning some off to produce whiskey would be much easier than other crops. I'd use an underground facility that has a legal reason to use large amounts of power, probably an industrial building.
As to the actual brewing/distilling, it's relatively simple.
Here's what i found when i looked for a recipe:
http://homedistiller.org/intro

DeletedUser28032

You can turn pratically anything into alcohol, potatoes would do it all you need is somewhere relatively remote to distill it

Ripwise

You can turn pratically anything into alcohol, potatoes would do it all you need is somewhere relatively remote to distill it

Go Vodka :D

We make moonshine from leftovers of grape pressing for wine, well, not me but some of my friends. It aint the best taste but it gets that blood pumping in the winter :D

While i was working in Libya we were making moonshine from dates, also wasnt the best but since you couldnt get alcohol anywhere and we were stationed there for 3,6 or 9 months it came in usefull :D

DeletedUser

I home brew beer and cider. Yeast + sugar + time will give you alcohol. Mash is made in a process very similar to beer and cider. Making alcohol is legal in most areas. Distilling in most areas requires a license. Anything with alcohol in it can be distilled to capture a more pure form of the alcohol. There are processes that must be done precisely and correctly in order to make the process safe and the final product safe.
There are plenty of home brew how-to videos online. It is surprisingly simple.
If I was going to distill, I would start with vodka. Once I had a smooth process, I would make bourbon whiskey. You can actually purchase used barrels from the Jack Daniel's distillery.

DeletedUser34860

in australia you can have a still that holds no more than 3 litres of wash at a time.but if you intend to sell it you need a permit and have to keep a log of ingredients used,tempratures,and how much you produce so you can pay the right amount of taxes per litre