What Makes a Good FF Leader?

DeletedUser

So, over million views on a thread that is mostly about stating the obvious, arguing for the sake of arguing and seeking attention. Fun stuff :)

I think we could easily make a case for this thread only being the third point.

DeletedUser16008

Ok Ill make a very valid point or 5

This thread is what makes a good FF battle leader NOT how to be one from others experience and hard effort in a guide.

1 This thread isnt about specific strategy ideas.

2 One plan even if successful does not make you a good FF leader

3 I wouldnt share certain ideas nor plans for anyone to skip 3 years hard work or trail and error.

4 Each battle leader of note will have their own style, a bunch of clones or school of battle leading is the last thing id want in the game.

5 Anyone whos asked for tips or tricks or ideas etc personally has been or is known by me in game and ive been happy to help but not on a forum thats obviously read by numerous worlds.

In order for that to happen id have to respect the player first not give noobs an advanced guide to fort leading. Selfish ?? no not really, Ive paid my dues with countless hours of effort the same as many here, I see no reason while still fort battle leading to make good battle leaders jobs any harder than it has to be by giving potential noob opponents a short cut we have not had, wanted or required.

Elmyr hit it right on the head, hard work, effort and experience is how its done, nothing less, nothing more.

DeletedUser

I suspect someone in this thread places a rock over the 'F5' button from time to time. It's the only explanation for this. Or... aliens. :unsure:

DeletedUser

Ok Ill make a very valid point or 5

This thread is what makes a good FF battle leader NOT how to be one from others experience and hard effort in a guide.

1 This thread isnt about specific strategy ideas.

2 One plan even if successful does not make you a good FF leader

3 I wouldnt share certain ideas nor plans for anyone to skip 3 years hard work or trail and error.

4 Each battle leader of note will have their own style, a bunch of clones or school of battle leading is the last thing id want in the game.

5 Anyone whos asked for tips or tricks or ideas etc personally has been or is known by me in game and ive been happy to help but not on a forum thats obviously read by numerous worlds.

In order for that to happen id have to respect the player first not give noobs an advanced guide to fort leading. Selfish ?? no not really, Ive paid my dues with countless hours of effort the same as many here, I see no reason while still fort battle leading to make good battle leaders jobs any harder than it has to be by giving potential noob opponents a short cut we have not had, wanted or required.

Elmyr hit it right on the head, hard work, effort and experience is how its done, nothing less, nothing more.
You have some valid points, but regarding the dissemination of 'advanced information', why should people have to re-invent the wheel? Why can't people use the time not spent on re-inventing the wheel to invent an engine? Ever heard of open source software?

DeletedUser16008

You have some valid points, but regarding the dissemination of 'advanced information', why should people have to re-invent the wheel? Why can't people use the time not spent on re-inventing the wheel to invent an engine? Ever heard of open source software?

They dont have to reinvent anything .. the basics and advanced tactics of everything is on westforts... if people cant be bothered to look there where it shows you everything you could possibly need then im sorry but they wont be any good leading anyway.

Why should people waste their time posting here when people cant be bothered to look on westforts cos they are too lazy to do a bit of simple research ? sorry i dont get it.

DeletedUser16008

My dear rice, at the risk of sounding an old fart.

When forts began there was nothing,no alliances, no help, no clue, no chat, no tactics, no sign up from afar no nothing. I cannot speak for others but if im honest it was not required or even wanted. The challenge,the fun of battles and training a fort team, working it out and watching a good strategy evolve or winning a battle on your teams cooperation, tactics and ability was the reward, not chests or bonds. We made our own strategy, evolved our own tactics, introduced chatango as a chatroom and when finally westforts started showing replays watched and continue to this day to watch many battles from all servers. Heck I was even on some worlds since before replays just to watch and learn.

You have it all now,sign up from town, alliances, replays of all worlds on all servers, a battle chat for every battle, a ranking system that works, prizes for taking part. So much in fact there is little excuse for anyone really interested in being a battle leader not to become good if they so wish.

That is more than enough to get on with and those that do bother will undoubtedly shine through.

Part of the reason this game has become stale imo is exactly due to it being too easy to do and get everything. Im not part of the must have it all now now now on a plate generation and I don't have the attention span of a goldfish like some players seem to yet expect to be as good, so youll have to forgive my answer being no. Sorry Rice and no disrespect intended but if players are serious they will put in the effort and be rewarded for it not expect a quick fix from those that have.

DeletedUser

When forts began there was...no tactics

Of course there were tactics, well, tactic, and that tactic was the phalanx defense!

I remember a thread on fort battles on Beta forums in 2009. zet posted a video of a German fort battle with the attackers circling the fort in relatively controlled and disciplined movements. In reply I think I was the first to point out the importance of onliners in fort battles in public forums. ;)

DeletedUser16008

lol ahh yea my mistake the small fort 128 vs 128 defence... the only tactic defenders had was the sardine tin n hide tactic while the attackers all went to the corners hid and sniped.. oh the joys of trying to send mails to people about what to do on rd 2 and 5 etc with no chat ... most amusing but not at the time ;)

I think eventually after a few mails of follow me ( being pure strength I was the closest thing to a tank ) and slowly going round in circles with the defenders still all inside the fort waiting. It was decided a chat was essential to peoples sanity and had the quaint idea we would actually be able to coordinate a manoeuvre in less than 5 rounds.....

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Yes, the sardine defense. As I recall it quickly became the "doughnut" defense as you wanted everyone inside the fort but not on the flag.

WanderingStranger

After reading this thread (most of it should be removed just to save me time reading) I have come to one conclusion. It is also the one I would have posted if I read these forums more than once a month.

A good FF leader needs to do whatever is needed.

There is no secret formula. No one thing.

Respect is needed.
Micromanaging is needed.
Trusting your people is needed.
A plan is needed.
Being able to improvise is needed.
Good communication is needed.
Knowledge of the game is needed.
Being able to read the other sides moves is needed.
Keeping track of onliners and offliners is needed.
Keeping track of HP on both sides is needed.

All of those things and more are needed. Not always used every fight but in the end you NEED them all.

As for actual specific fights which this seemed to degenerate into in places.... There is no one plan to win. If you can maintain LOS in 4 towers and it is to your advantage then feel free. If it is more to your advantage to limit LOS then do that instead.

I can make arguments and give examples where any strategy can be effective but it all depends on the specific fight so you cant really discuss them here because they are so specific to the situation.

DeletedUser14006

Respect is needed.
Micromanaging is needed.
Trusting your people is needed.
A plan is needed.
Being able to improvise is needed.
Good communication is needed.
Knowledge of the game is needed.
Being able to read the other sides moves is needed.
Keeping track of onliners and offliners is needed.
Keeping track of HP on both sides is needed.

You forgot good looks and luck.