What do you think happens when you die?

• Thread starter David Schofield
  • Start date

DeletedUser

But there has to be something. How is it that we're so different compared to all the other animals on this planet? How is it that we can build skyscrapers, pyramids, put ourselves on other planets, all while other animals can't even manage to solve a mathmatical equation?

What other planets have we put ourselves on? I haven't seen much news lately, perhaps I missed something.

DeletedUser

What other planets have we put ourselves on? I haven't seen much news lately, perhaps I missed something.

Hah, whoops I meant the moon :laugh:, typo! But in a few years we may be putting ourselves on mars... And in a way we have put ourselves on other planets with satelites, not a human physically but our presence around the solar system.

DeletedUser

Hah, whoops I meant the moon :laugh:, typo! But in a few years we may be putting ourselves on mars... And in a way we have put ourselves on other planets with satelites, not a human physically but our presence around the solar system.
Living on Mars Huh? NOW THATS SOMETHING ID DIE FOR!!
call me crazy mc crazies but think about it (WARNING! THE QUESTION IS ABOUT TO CHANGE) we have all our little things on earth all figured out and happy:D:D:D but on mars we would set ourselves back in time. i means sure we would have stuff from the shuttle, but thats not much. i dont know bout you but i think living in a world or a mars where you gotta struggle to survive would be awesome!!

(plus no gravity):D:D:D:D:D:D

DeletedUser

You want to struggle to sruvive?
Plenty of opportunities to do that right here on Earth.

(oh and "no gravity" would be wrong).

Enough OT though, let's get back to the topic at hand.

DeletedUser

I think nothing happens, you just die and the passing over operating tables and seeing yourself while your dead is either, a deep dream (we all have those anyway when they seem so real), made up to make us feel better or safe (others around us) or their high at the time.
The body and mind are more complex than we can understand at this moment in time, and I think this light or whatever is kind of a defence mechanism to numb the fear of death, for example I once seen a documentary about a man who fell into a huge cement mixer (Type of thing) and it was turned on, he said something like, it was tearing his limbs apart, he was bleeding to death, yet he felt so nice and like he was candy-floss floating around, but when the machine was stopped by someone, he was in so much pain it was unbearable.
Same here, had a dream I got shot in the back of the head, I woke up and could feel the blood and coldness there where I was shot, it was mad because it was like that for 5 minutes or more, by that time I was fully awake.

Point is our mind can trick itself into feeling things that are not there or are there but should have the adverse effect (pain being comfort), same as we try to trick ourselves and loved ones into the religious heaven and hell stuff, it's to make us and the people around us feel safe.
I don't believe in god one bit, but I tell my kids he exists, hypocrite maybe, but if it makes them feel safer to think they are going to live on even when they die, then I'm happy to be a hypocrite all day long.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I don't believe in god one bit, but I tell my kids he exists, hypocrite maybe, but if it makes them feel safer to think they are going to live on even when they die, then I'm happy to be a hypocrite all day long.

Believing in Heaven is always much more pleasant than believing in an everlasing dream state :D

Honestly, I don't understand why we all dont believe in some sort of everlasting paradise that we can achieve by helping others around us. What harm can come from helping the poor, the sick, the hungry and other humanss in order to achive what we think will be everlasting peace?

Even if we are wrong at the end, we will of have atleast helped humanity grow in a postitive way.

DeletedUser1121

Why can't we help eachother without getting something promised in return?

DeletedUser

One answer to that:We're humans.

We forgot to believe in people,and we need a of a material thing to reward our acts..Thats soo...ughff....I don't have a word for it.
Rare are those whose reward is acctualy helping people.

Lets get back to the topic.:)

DeletedUser

If you need a divine carrot at the end of your life to be a good person, then you're just horrible.

I've already said what I believe happens, and I stand by it.
That it ends makes life, and the time we live, all the more precious.

DeletedUser

we come back and haunt all the idiots we have disliked on interweb forums.

DeletedUser22575

A rather complex question to which I am afraid I am going to have to give a rather light weight answer.

We become what we were before we existed.

But as "superior beings" we can't accept that all to often. We judge ourselves by other animals whom we are "smarter" than by the criteria that they can't talk, build items, etc, despite evidence that many of these species are extremely intelligent, can learn, do use tools, etc.

Maybe the question should be "if we are so much smarter and superior than they are why can't we learn to communicate with them instead of expecting them to learn to communicate with us".

Personally I think the answer to that question is the human ego, which I feel directly relates to the question of why we feel there has to be something after death for us.

Despite the fact that there was civilization and life long before we existed personally we can't envision an existence without ourselves as individuals.

This is based on an over inflated sense of our own individual value as a human. We are in fact the center of our own universe..and how can it, and how dare it exist without us.

Since it does, there must be some "better place" that we move on to in our own minds, where we as individuals continue to exists in some shape and form...instead of disappearing into some unknown future of ...nothing.

We are not, then we exist, we live, love, create, hopefully do good and leave those behind us with memories of positive contributions we made while here, living on in their hearts and minds. Why does there need to be more, other than the fact that as humans we are never satisfied always expecting and demanding more for no other reason than our own egos sake.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

In all fairness...whether I agree with him or not, this is about what you think, not about what actually happens. I'm not sure if you can show evidence of what you think. :p
Umm, yeah, I can. hehe

Anyway, my response was in respect to his presentation, which argued we should believe it based on anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal evidence is firmly dependent upon the credibility of the person presenting their so-called personal experience, and so I made a sly comment about his lack of credibility which, in turn, undermines his anecdotal evidence which, in turn, provides ample cause for disbelief.

May I add a question? Are you a nihilist or not? It seems like you are somewhat not, if you think that when you pass on you leave a mental imprint into someone and thus live in their memories. I do think that you will somehow answer in a complex form that you are, although you may of already answered somehow in a post somewhere in this thread.
Meh, there are so many definitions and contextual presentations for nihilism, i'm inclined to opt-out. I'm me.

Why does there need to be more, other than the fact that as humans we are never satisfied always expecting and demanding more for no other reason than our own egos sake.
I want my MTV! ;)